PDA

View Full Version : OU American Flag/Anthem

poke4christ
11/17/2006, 11:27 AM
I don't know if my spek will survive this, but I want you to know that I'm saying this with all do respect and sincerity.

Please get rid of the OU version of the American Flag and the saying of "Home of the Sooners" in our National Anthem. I'm not saying this to rip OU, I'm doing it to try to help you and the State of Oklahoma. These two things reflect poorly on Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma. You guys have a great home field atmosphere and this practice is a tarnish on it's finish.

Are there any sooner fans out there that agree with me?

Ash
11/17/2006, 11:29 AM
Haven't we beaten this dead horse enough already?

How many times does this have to be rehashed?

Give it a rest. Worry about substantial things.

Shaz-Bot
11/17/2006, 11:31 AM
I don't know if my spek will survive this, but I want you to know that I'm saying this with all do respect and sincerity.

Please get rid of the entire city of Stillwater and the saying of "The State's University". I'm not saying this to rip OSU, I'm doing it to try to help you and the State of Oklahoma. These two things reflect poorly on Oklahoma. You guys have a no home field atmosphere and your entire program is a tarnish.

Fixed

poke4christ
11/17/2006, 11:33 AM
I searched for threads before I started this. If it's been talked about alot in the past I appologize.

jhmh
11/17/2006, 11:33 AM
Does it really reflect so poorly on the state and our university? Really?

OKLA21FAN
11/17/2006, 11:38 AM

Please get rid of the OU version of the American Flag and the saying of "Home of the Sooners" in our National Anthem. I'm not saying this to rip OU, I'm doing it to try to help you and the State of Oklahoma. These two things reflect poorly on Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma. You guys have a great home field atmosphere and this practice is a tarnish on it's finish.

while you are at it,
you may as well go to the nearest MLB team to our nation's capital and tell them to stop saying 'OHHHHH!" a handful of times during the anthem, or go to Dallas and tell the people in the AAC to stop yalling 'STARS!!!' during the anthem.

and while you are at it, maybe you should do something about 'early or late' fly-bys 'screwing' up the anthem as well!!!!

give it a rest

Readyfor8
11/17/2006, 11:38 AM
I searched for threads before I started this. If it's been talked about alot in the past I appologize.

I haven't posted in a while, but I am starting to get that queezy feeling of the year when we play a bottom rung school that is only good at rolling around on the ground with half naked men.

How about you get some tradition before you start to critique even on of our fans. Get a life.

Mixer!
11/17/2006, 11:40 AM
Well now, here's a thread that I'm betting started all of this... (http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=29645)

:pop:

sooneron
11/17/2006, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that was a real extensive search you did there.:rolleyes:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/17/2006, 12:08 PM
I will tell my brother, a veteran of Desert Storm, that he needs to quit saying it too.

I'm sure he'll be much appreciative since he fought for freedom and all.

OUDoc
11/17/2006, 12:14 PM
For what it's worth, I don't like it either.

Ash
11/17/2006, 12:15 PM
Here we go...

ADs_Agent
11/17/2006, 12:17 PM
I'll quit saying "Sooners" when the Poke's quit humping sheep. Don't see either one happening in the near future.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/17/2006, 12:18 PM
For what it's worth, I don't like it either.traitor. See if I come back for my "follow up appointment."

OUDoc
11/17/2006, 12:19 PM
traitor. See if I come back for my "follow up appointment."
Oh, you'll be back. ;)

colleyvillesooner
11/17/2006, 12:19 PM
http://www.thisboardrocks.com/forum/images/smilies/dead-horse-fast2.gif

OUDoc
11/17/2006, 12:26 PM
http://www.thisboardrocks.com/forum/images/smilies/dead-horse-fast2.gif
Does Dean know he's an emoticon?

KABOOKIE
11/17/2006, 12:28 PM
Can I get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?

Sooner_Havok
11/17/2006, 12:32 PM
Why do you guys call Paul Thompson ENA?

KABOOKIE
11/17/2006, 12:33 PM
I think there needs to be a spattering of Soldiers in the stands at the games & when they see someone do it, the Soldiers could go explain to them (by whatever means necessary) how disrespectfull their actions are.

Let's beat this dead horse until it dies!!!!

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82923&page=5

Here! Here! As a Vet. who spent 6 years in the USMC and served in Iraq, Somalia and Croatia, I have no problem with the way the SSB is sung at Memorial Stadium. Personally, I don’t do it because when it’s sung I’m usually thinking about a fellow Marine and Oklahoman that didn’t make it back from Somalia. But, I also don’t think it’s my American right to tell people to not do it. It’s America people. If someone wants to butcher the SSB ala Rosanne Bar style or, stand at the court house and burn the American flag then rock the **** on. Just don’t ask me to give you a job though!

SoonerStormchaser
11/17/2006, 12:36 PM
Why is Adrian Peterson called AD? Aren't his initials AP?

KABOOKIE
11/17/2006, 12:40 PM
HAHAHAHA! Stupid f'ing pokes. Their dumb *** logic NEVER ceases to amaze me!!!

I've seen the OSU version of the flag in question. Given that its stripes are black and orange it seem much less like its mocking the US flag. OU's red and white stripes do make the flag look a bit offensive.

Oh, their flag is mocking the US flag but, but, but, OU's flag is offensive!!!

MiccoMacey
11/17/2006, 12:48 PM
I like the OU flag myself.

And screaming Sooner at the end of the SSB does not bother me.

toast
11/17/2006, 12:48 PM
please, don't aggies have other things to worry about, like filling up your own stadium?

TexasSooner01
11/17/2006, 12:49 PM
please, don't aggies have other things to worry about, like filling up your own stadium?

HEH! Like that is evar gonna happen!!!!!!!!:D

Doged
11/17/2006, 12:52 PM
I choose not to join in altering the anthem (the Sooner Nation flag has been around for decades). I do have to ask one thing though.

Which is worse, yelling Sooners or Stars or Chiefs during the anthem or questioning an individual's freedom to choose whether to yell during the anthem?

One may be mildly disrespectful depending on your viewpoint. The other is clearly hypocritical, regardless of viewpoint, on it's way to the always fun "I have the freedom to question your excercising of your freedom" circular logic loop. (Just for fun, that's also one of the base rationalizations for fascism.)

And when it's all said and done the two teams will still take the field, one sporting Crimson, the other decked out in road worker safety vests with duct tape numbers, to play out yet another in a long history of Sooner wins and the nation will move ahead comfortable that, at least in Stillwater, OK, all is as it should be for another year.

sooneron
11/17/2006, 12:56 PM
Dumb question, if it involves OU, shaggies are worrying/talking about it. That's what you do when you have an inferiority complex.

Pfunk
11/17/2006, 12:57 PM
*aggie/ I am all for school and team support. I am as Orange to the Bone as anyone, but I NEVER WANT TO SEE MY AMERICAN FLAG DESACRATED BY PUTTING OSU ON IT!!! *aggie/
heh

bearcat_sooner
11/17/2006, 12:58 PM
I like toast with peanut butter, mustard, dill pickles, and a slice of pasteurized processed cheese food.......no REALLY!!........try it you'll like it!!

jdsooner
11/17/2006, 01:02 PM

Since our home season is over, why bring this up now?
But since you asked nicely, I'll be sure and take care of that for you. I am sure all 80,000 fans will do what I say!:rolleyes:

poke4christ
11/17/2006, 01:04 PM
well this worked out great ;)

For what it's worth, I searched for "American Flag" and "Anthem" in thread titles and couldn't find one discussing this subject. If it's such a pointless topic to you guys, then delete the thread and be done with it.

Zach

Readyfor8
11/17/2006, 01:08 PM
I like toast with peanut butter, mustard, dill pickles, and a slice of pasteurized processed cheese food.......no REALLY!!........try it you'll like it!!

I used to make peanut butter and bacon bit sandwiches. Great source of protein and carbs, and I liked the crunchy, salty, soft texture.

Good stuff.

jdsooner
11/17/2006, 01:11 PM
well this worked out great ;)

For what it's worth, I searched for "American Flag" and "Anthem" in thread titles and couldn't find one discussing this subject. If it's such a pointless topic to you guys, then delete the thread and be done with it.

Zach

Don't go away mad--just go away!:cool:

Jimminy Crimson
11/17/2006, 01:18 PM
Because we're the only school that has a flag like that... :rolleyes:

Landthief 1972
11/17/2006, 01:22 PM
Put me in the "It's tacky" column.

Just because it's your right to do it doesn't mean it's a good idea. It was everybody's right to wear mullets in the 80s (and God love the mouth-breathers who still do), but I'll be damned if I'll ever wear one again.

Okieflyer
11/17/2006, 01:25 PM
First off, it's not an "OU American Flag". It is an OU flag. The American Flag is Red, white and blue and has 50 stars. Are you going to get mad at Liberia because there flag is simular?

As far as the National Anthem. As a verteran and a guy who was in the Honor Guard. It's not any big deal.

Sco
11/17/2006, 02:00 PM
And while we're at it - we should all stop buying foreign cars and stop smoking hookahs... cuz that's disrespectful to the American worker... and Middle Eastern things are just downright weird...

And... let's stop visiting other countries too - that's disrespectful to our homeland, suggesting we want to leave!

OKLA21FAN
11/17/2006, 02:03 PM
And while we're at it - we should all stop buying foreign cars and stop smoking hookahs... cuz that's disrespectful to the American worker... and Middle Eastern things are just downright weird...

And... let's stop visiting other countries too - that's disrespectful to our homeland, suggesting we want to leave!

the cap in your avatar is not the correct colors. how dare you desigrate an OU cap like that!

OklahomaRed
11/17/2006, 02:21 PM
the cap in your avatar is not the correct colors. how dare you desigrate an OU cap like that!

Heh! My thought exactly; however, I do have my lucky green O.U. hat with crimson O.U. on the front and a crimson shamrock on the back. Am I desicrating the O.U. traditional hat? OMG ! :eek:

Fraggle145
11/17/2006, 02:28 PM
In the phrase "Home of the Brave" if Brave is supposed to characterize Americans then it would make sense that Sooners are Americans. Many of them fight too...

Just because you only have 30,000 people in a half full stadium and saying "Cowboys" isnt feasible for you, dont blame it on us.

OK2LA
11/17/2006, 03:01 PM
First off, it's not an "OU American Flag". It is an OU flag. The American Flag is Red, white and blue and has 50 stars. Are you going to get mad at Liberia because there flag is simular?

As far as the National Anthem. As a verteran and a guy who was in the Honor Guard. It's not any big deal.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And . . . .

If it piisses off aggy - then I'm all for it.

TopDawg
11/17/2006, 03:21 PM
LOriginally Posted by KABOOKIE
Here! Here! As a Vet. who spent 6 years in the USMC and served in Iraq, Somalia and Croatia, I have no problem with the way the SSB is sung at Memorial Stadium. Personally, I don’t do it because when it’s sung I’m usually thinking about a fellow Marine and Oklahoman that didn’t make it back from Somalia. But, I also don’t think it’s my American right to tell people to not do it. It’s America people. If someone wants to butcher the SSB ala Rosanne Bar style or, stand at the court house and burn the American flag then rock the **** on. Just don’t ask me to give you a job though!

We actually kinda agree on this.

I used to yell it, but I don't anymore. I stopped when I realized that it was offensive to many people, a lot of whom risked their lives for our country. When you couple that with the fact that I really derived no pleasure from yelling it, it was an easy decision to stop doing it.

I've always thought that if a war hero who was offended by it was standing next to me, I certainly wouldn't do it to his face (even if I knew he wouldn't kill me), so why would I do it just because a lot of other people are?

So while I choose not to yell it myself, and don't understand why other people do yell it...ya know...whatever.

TopDawg
11/17/2006, 03:22 PM
Also, isn't it time to admit that message board references to beating dead horses have become their own dead horse?

C&CDean
11/17/2006, 03:42 PM
Saying "Sooners" disrespects who? Ags? Who gives a ****?

Talking during the anthem, not removing your hat, scratching your nuts, eating your popcorn or hotdog during the anthem are all infinitely more disrespectful than the Sooner thing. And quite frankly, when we're all at Memorial Stadium, which happens to be in Oklahoma, which happens to exist within the boundaries of the United States, I think saying "Sooners" is VERY appropriate.

When at road games, saying it is also appropriate. Why? Cause wherever we play, on that particular day, it IS the home of the Sooners.

OKLA21FAN
11/17/2006, 03:45 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/Hlavaty/PatrioticBrand.jpg

how dare they desicrate the national colors this way!

TheUnnamedSooner
11/17/2006, 03:46 PM
When at road games, saying it is also appropriate. Why? Cause wherever we play, on that particular day, it IS the home of the Sooners.

Exactly, it's not like we are lying are anything...

TripleOption14
11/17/2006, 04:32 PM
WOW.... talk about an old old debate. Shgeez!! Ash was right in the first place. LET THIS GO.

TopDawg
11/17/2006, 05:00 PM
Saying "Sooners" disrespects who? Ags? Who gives a ****?

Talking during the anthem,

Talking is, but yelling isn't? :confused:

;)

OU James
11/17/2006, 05:03 PM
Why does bob stoops hate america so much?

ADs_Agent
11/17/2006, 05:04 PM
the terrorists win whenever Oklahoma wins :rolleyes:

oumartin
11/17/2006, 05:21 PM
I like cheese

bearcat_sooner
11/17/2006, 05:32 PM
As I said before...........pasteurized processed cheese food.

soonerloyal
11/17/2006, 05:39 PM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e345/Hlavaty/PatrioticBrand.jpg

how dare they desicrate the national colors this way!

Oh, crap, that logo is just wrong no matter WHAT color it's in...:eek:

JohnnyMack
11/17/2006, 05:44 PM
Dear aggie,

Eat ****.

blackbeauty02
11/17/2006, 05:45 PM
i don't see any problem with either of them. if it was wrong or whatnot I think the government would step in and put a ban on people "altering" the flag. it is in no way disrespectful to the people who fight for our freedom by putting OU instead of the stars. if it was I think you would have a protest by people who have served (and I do believe that there are one or two OU fans that have served or are serving). OSU is just trying to find ways to make fun of OU...which is sad b/c they had to use this. they have nothing else to make fun of us for.

if we stop doing it then oSu has to stop saying they are the state's university b/c that is defamation on the great state of Oklahoma's character.

BoomerSooner247
11/17/2006, 07:13 PM
Heh! My thought exactly; however, I do have my lucky green O.U. hat with crimson O.U. on the front and a crimson shamrock on the back. Am I desicrating the O.U. traditional hat? OMG ! :eek:nope only a burnt orange hat would do that, if ya did were a burnt orange OU hat we'd have to "wack" you :D

Soonrboy
11/17/2006, 07:28 PM
Never mind.

bluedogok
11/17/2006, 07:37 PM
I don't really like it either no matter which team name is inserted, but as a few others have said it isn't exactly my place to tell them not to do it. I just choose not to.

One time I saw one of those Texas style flags with the sky blue from the Oklahoma flag instead royal blue and the OU logo in place of the star, the colors were moved around but you knew what the intent was. I really would like to have one of those down here :D

Octavian
11/17/2006, 07:53 PM

Easily your worst post on Soonerfans.

No one cares if your bar is green...you're a guest here.

STFU.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/17/2006, 08:08 PM
i dont think they understand the concept of the flag being an OU flag...not a rip off American Flag meant to be held higher than our Nations flag...

I am relatively patriotic but when i finish playing the national anthem, nothing give me more chills than hearing 84000 people screaming sooners :) they are mad because sooner fans will drown out their saying "Cowboys" or "Sheep-Humpers" when we go to stillwater

oumartin
11/17/2006, 08:15 PM
Doogie Howser is gay I found out.

Newbomb Turk
11/17/2006, 08:19 PM
Doogie Howser is gay I found out.

he asked you out on a date?

oumartin
11/17/2006, 08:22 PM
yeah but i couldn't go..

Newbomb Turk
11/17/2006, 08:23 PM
yeah but i couldn't go..

probably for the best. SB68 would be jealous. ;)

oumartin
11/17/2006, 08:24 PM
you talk about my main squeeze again and we are gonna throw down!

Newbomb Turk
11/17/2006, 08:27 PM
I am watching your old buddy Kelvin's Hoosiers play Indiana State.

oumartin
11/17/2006, 08:29 PM
have they figured out how to beat a 2-3 zone yet?

Newbomb Turk
11/17/2006, 08:31 PM
have they figured out how to beat a 2-3 zone yet?

yes - you get a 12 point lead with 10 minutes to go. Then you hold the ball, turn it over a few times, throw up a few last second shot clock clunkers, and hope to hold on despite a 8 minute scoring drought.

The Hoosiers are up 23-13 with around 8:00 to go in the 1st.

sanantoniosooner
11/17/2006, 08:35 PM
This ain't beating a dead horse.

It's porking a dead deer.

Newbomb Turk
11/17/2006, 08:36 PM
This ain't beating a dead horse.

It's porking a dead deer.

are you talking about the Flag/Anthem thingy or martin's thread jack?

sanantoniosooner
11/17/2006, 08:37 PM
are you talking about the Flag/Anthem thingy or martin's thread jack?
yes?

Newbomb Turk
11/17/2006, 08:39 PM
speaking of thread jacks - OU's linebacker recruit, Austin Box, has a heck of an arm. Enid and Mustang are tied at zip in the first half.

SoonerInKCMO
11/17/2006, 08:45 PM
Whether it's 'Sooners' at Memorial Stadium or 'Chiefs' at Arrowhead, I just think it's tacky and disrespectful.

oumartin
11/17/2006, 09:16 PM
I voted for brad henry too! ;)

Newbomb Turk
11/17/2006, 09:21 PM
Enid is spanking Mustang - 21-0.

Box has a 70 yard TD pass and a TD run.

Okieflyer
11/17/2006, 09:25 PM
http://www.gettysburgflag.com/images/sdakota.jpg

Speaking of Flags, why do you have advertise Mt. Rushmore? ;)

Ash
11/17/2006, 09:31 PM

nm

Readyfor8
11/18/2006, 12:04 AM

I think its better than our License plate. Nothing says mediocrity like Oklahoma is OK.

goingoneight
11/18/2006, 12:12 AM
I like biscuits.

Jello Biafra
11/18/2006, 12:16 AM

this is one thread i hope i personally kill......

as a war veteran.....i say...shut....the .........phuc up.......

i as well as many others over the 200+ years of this country's exsistance have fought for the rights of others.
i say it. many of my fellow veterans say it.........you have the sack to tell me to my face to stop, then and only then will we "discuss" the topic. just as it is your right to speak your mind on the topic, it's my right to tell you to cram it in your dirt hole.

Soonerus
11/18/2006, 12:24 AM
I have thought a great deal about both of these issues and disagree totally with the original poster in this thread. Nothing disrespectful, non-patriotic or wrong with the "home of the Sooners"....regarding the Oklahoma flag that's about the dumbest suggestion I have ever heard...I am personally very proud when they display the Oklahoma flag and believe anybody who finds fault with that is an egg shell emotional basket case simply trying to find fault any way they can with OU's great pre-game performance...

TheGodfather889
11/18/2006, 12:46 AM
Oklahoma State fans are still some of the stupidest fans in all of college sports. So bitter and so jealous of OU they are it's laughable.

chbrew09
11/18/2006, 03:51 AM
Personally, i love it and the thing is... I love America as well. So, let's put two and two together...if I love this, but I also LOVE America, then what's the problem? I don't feel I'm disrespecting our country just by following a school tradition. Do you think we put Sooners on the end to disrespect our country? Of course not....that's not something OU would ever do. I have close family in the military...a couple of them Sooners. Coming from the people that should be offended by it, I only hear love. The U, S and A and Sooners, you like?

MiccoMacey
11/18/2006, 05:22 AM
Needs to go to the SO.

sanantoniosooner
11/18/2006, 10:19 AM
Needs to go to the SO.
Testing forum :mad:

picasso
11/18/2006, 10:32 AM
we heard this crap from KSU and Texas a few years ago. then they went and got their own version. get over it and find bigger problems to deal with in your life.

thanks.

Okieflyer
11/18/2006, 04:48 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/royce1971/trent/SoonerFlag.jpg

http://www.law.ou.edu/hist/flags/50star-big.jpg

O.K. I still don't get it. There not even alike. One is an OU flag and one is the flag of the United States.

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/illus/flg/T049126A.jpg

But I think we need to invade Liberia and take their disrespectful flag. ;)

Cam
11/18/2006, 04:52 PM

So if we're getting rid of everything that could potentially reflect Oklahoma negatively to the nation, maybe we should just go ahead and level Stoolwater.

AzianSooner
11/18/2006, 04:54 PM
I suggest the PRIDE only plays Boomer Sooner for the great play. Pride should play some heavy beating drum before we are about to attack in the offensive and defensive plays and reseve the Boomer Sooner when we make some great play only.

Agree?

Newbomb Turk
11/18/2006, 04:54 PM
But I think we need to invade Liberia and take their disrespectful flag. ;)

The Librarian flag only has 11 stripes - not 13. :D

Okieflyer
11/18/2006, 04:57 PM
The Librarian flag only has 11 stripes - not 13. :D

So THAT'S what's offensive!!!:eek:

OKLA21FAN
11/20/2006, 11:25 AM

they guys dont agree with you
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics6/400/OQ/OQERRCVWFKIXOUG.20051003183414.jpg