PDA

View Full Version : Pure speculation at this point...

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/16/2006, 09:06 PM
I realize I might get in trouble for posting this because it is simply a rumor. But I was over at the recruiting board a second ago and the rumor mill is spinning when it comes to OUr QB situation. RUMOR has it that Matt Flynn from LSU might just be a Sooner.

You guys know from my posts im not a trouble maker, I just thought it was very interesting... Maybe even the reason why we can't seem to get a QB because they know he is coming here?

goingoneight
11/16/2006, 09:08 PM
He'll have to miss next season, no???

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/16/2006, 09:11 PM
Maybe not...From what I am hearing there is a new NCAA rule that they don't have to sit out a year.

I will have to look that up to be sure though

yermom
11/16/2006, 09:22 PM
did he graduate or something?

Collier11
11/16/2006, 09:30 PM
he will be a grad student so no he wouldnt have to sit

Blues1
11/16/2006, 11:16 PM
IMHO--- Rumors are welcome IF they sound Good - -- :)

I swear every time WE get news this season it's seems we have a higher mountain to climb --- But we Keep Doing it.... IF nothing else The 2006 Sooners Win ***The Football Mountain Climbing Award***..... !!!

Keep R'

Soonerus
11/16/2006, 11:18 PM
I can understand wanting to escape Lester the molester.....

Texas Golfer
11/16/2006, 11:20 PM
I realize I might get in trouble for posting this because it is simply a rumor. But I was over at the recruiting board a second ago and the rumor mill is spinning when it comes to OUr QB situation. RUMOR has it that Matt Flynn from LSU might just be a Sooner.

You guys know from my posts im not a trouble maker, I just thought it was very interesting... Maybe even the reason why we can't seem to get a QB because they know he is coming here?

How would possible recruits know he's coming when we don't know he's coming?

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2006, 11:25 PM

Probably because this is being posted on every message board on the internet right now.

RRWSooner
11/16/2006, 11:27 PM
Anyone know what his stats are?

AzianSooner
11/16/2006, 11:32 PM

this is a $100 question.

Octavian
11/16/2006, 11:38 PM
He lit up Miami in the Peach Bowl last year and many Tiger fans wanted him to start over Jamarcus Russel this year.

It's not a long-term solution but we're a quarterback away from being title contenders in '07.

If Flynn could come to Norman and play right away....awesome.

GottaHavePride
11/17/2006, 12:29 AM
Wait, he's the backup that lit people up last year when LSU's starter was crapping all over the field? That dude was good.

mightysooner
11/17/2006, 12:57 AM
Not saying it's true, even though I hope it is, but consider this....

1. Flynn came in and beat, no killed, Miami in the Peach Bowl last year. 2. We have the Canes coming to Norman next season. 3. You know Stoops would love to chap Miles' *** by taking his QB, and 4. We'd get the last laugh after losing to them in the Sugar Bowl. Is that not quintessential Stoops? Ask yourself those questions....

I'd love it! If it's true......another brilliant Stoops coaching move!

Sides.....Flynn would have to compete with Perilloux next season for the starting job if and that's a big if, Russel goes pro. What would you wanna do? Stay and compete with Perriloux? Or go to OU and compete with Bradford and Halze on a team that's got a chance to go to the NC game next season, is loaded with talent, and will give you high visibility all season long?

Ruuuuuufus
11/17/2006, 01:11 AM
If Russell goes pro he won't be a first day pick.

Fraggle145
11/17/2006, 01:14 AM
He's a Jr this year... is that a RS-Jr or a straight Jr. 2yrs vs 1yr of eligibility... I can see em going for a 2 yr guy... anyone know?

Edit: he has only one year of eligibility.... That'd be a big move for one year, however it would let us get some depth back with experience.

KingDavid
11/17/2006, 01:16 AM
makes me feel all giddy.

yermom
11/17/2006, 02:41 AM
If Russell goes pro he won't be a first day pick.

is he that good? this is the first i've heard of him maybe going pro

SOONER44EVER
11/17/2006, 03:04 AM
The LSU people are talking about it.

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=45590

Octavian
11/17/2006, 03:47 AM
The LSU people are talking about it.

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=45590

wow...that's actually a rationale discussion from the cajuns.

I dunno, it all seems a little far-fetched.

But if it does happen....we could be really good next year.

fadada1
11/17/2006, 08:11 AM
there's a one time transfer without penalty - assuming lester releases him. if he doesn't, he sits a year.

BermudaSooner
11/17/2006, 08:26 AM
You know Stoops would love to chap Miles' *** by taking his QB, and 4. We'd get the last laugh after losing to them in the Sugar Bowl. Is that not quintessential Stoops?

I sure hope Stoops would be above such petty nonsense. If Stoops wants the kid, it isn't so he can **** off Lester--it is because he thinks he can come in and compete and win games in a good way.

Crimson Kid
11/17/2006, 08:39 AM
I sure hope Stoops would be above such petty nonsense. If Stoops wants the kid, it isn't so he can **** off Lester--it is because he thinks he can come in and compete and win games in a good way.

Widescreen
11/17/2006, 08:59 AM
Sorry to threadjack but this was one of their avatars.

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8471/lescusssmallvz9.gif

Typical lester.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/17/2006, 09:33 AM
IMHO--- Rumors are welcome IF they sound Good - -- :)

I swear every time WE get news this season it's seems we have a higher mountain to climb --- But we Keep Doing it.... IF nothing else The 2006 Sooners Win ***The Football Mountain Climbing Award***..... !!!

Keep R'

It's all about the hardware baby.

MiccoMacey
11/17/2006, 11:20 AM
Not sure how good a move this is since it's just for one year.

That means in 2008 we're in exactly the same position we've been in for three years in a row at the QB position. Which is a one-year starter (Bomar), followed by another one-year starter (Thompson), followed by another one-year starter (Flynn).

In 2008, we'll have to start another first-time starter at QB (four years in a row). When will we get any consistency at QB?

I think you're sacrificing some future good for a potential gain right away (especially since we don't know how well he'll be able to pick up our offense).

poke4christ
11/17/2006, 11:31 AM

That means in 2008 we're in exactly the same position we've been in for three years in a row at the QB position. Which is a one-year starter (Bomar), followed by another one-year starter (Thompson), followed by another one-year starter (Flynn).

In 2008, we'll have to start another first-time starter at QB (four years in a row). When will we get any consistency at QB?

I think you're sacrificing some future good for a potential gain right away (especially since we don't know how well he'll be able to pick up our offense).

Agreed, it's probably better to recruit a top QB prospect.

yermom
11/17/2006, 11:36 AM
it gives us another year to get a QB more time in the system, like Bradford or some other recruit that we can land this year. if we were to get this guy for a year, and then who ever starts in 2008 gets an extra year either by redshirting in 2007 or by backing up Flynn for a year.

if he's good enough to step in and start/win, i'd see it as buying us some time. we are pretty behind at this point from Bomar leaving, we kinda had the QB spot figured out for the next couple years before that

poke4christ
11/17/2006, 11:39 AM
it gives us another year to get a QB more time in the system, like Bradford or some other recruit that we can land this year. if we were to get this guy for a year, and then who ever starts in 2008 gets an extra year either by redshirting in 2007 or by backing up Flynn for a year.

if he's good enough to step in and start/win, i'd see it as buying us some time. we are pretty behind at this point from Bomar leaving, we kinda had the QB spot figured out for the next couple years before that

Les's Offense is completly different than OU's offense. He might go through some of the same problems as a freshman learning the Offense. However, you are right that he would still perform better than a true freshman/juco and would buy the guy some more time.

Zach

BIG_IKE
11/17/2006, 11:49 AM
I dont want a short term QB...I want one with some longevity

MiccoMacey
11/17/2006, 11:50 AM
Good point about Bradford; it could buy more time for him to learn in the system/come in during mop-up duties.

I guess it can't hurt to bring him in, see if he can grasp it, and try to win with him. I'm just a little wary of playing a one-year starter three years in a row, a la Texas Tech.

Ash
11/17/2006, 11:51 AM
It's been under the radar, but reports are that Bradford's impressing people in practices and progressing very well.

flopshotjoe99
11/17/2006, 11:54 AM
as said on Tiger Forums, "I don't see Flynn passing up a chance to be on a National Championship team to go play for OU":rolleyes:

tbl
11/17/2006, 12:07 PM
I think it would be a smart move. If none of the guys on the roster right now are the future, it might be best to get a guy to come in for a year and start, while we have a redshirt sitting on the bench and learning the system. If we get a top QB recruit and start him right away, you know how that usually turns out. Not always, but usually.

Sooner Gambler
11/17/2006, 01:03 PM
I suppose our program is in such a situation to get these kind of rumors from time to time. I figure ya'll heard the scuttlebutt a couple of weeks ago. Since Dick got the starting job over Mustain, word on the Razorback board was that Mustain was talking about transferring to Oklahoma.

I'm sure there will be many more rumors like this until we actually see who is coming and who isn't. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/eng/glasses10.gif

The Consumate Showman
11/17/2006, 01:29 PM
I think that if truth be known, OU probably mad a strong push at Sam Keller beofre he went all dumbazz and went to Nebbish.

I think Stoops is looking for a guy that can come in now and play right away while we try and get some top HS QB in here.

The dream scenario, as it seems at this point from our staff, is to have Flynn come in and push Halzle either to the bench or to start, and then, somehow, someway, lure Brantley in this year and set ourselves up for another 3-4 years.

The only reason I say this is a dream scenario is because we have NOT offered any JUCO QB's yet and we only have a hand full of offers out for HS QB's...and Newton already went Gator which leaves Garcia with an offer and Brantley, and maybe...I'd have to check, but Jarrett Lee...but he is still committed to LSU anyway and if Flynn is really coming in, well, then I think Jarrett will go try to beat out Perrilloux.

Widescreen
11/17/2006, 01:56 PM
Do we have any realistic shot at Brantley, though?

Bourbon St Sooner
11/17/2006, 04:08 PM
If he can't beat out Russell, then I wouldn't call him a cure all. Although, maybe that's just lester showing his stupidity.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/17/2006, 04:16 PM
Do we have any realistic shot at Brantley, though?

I wouldn't count out OU just yet...

Colt seems to have the starting job for a while. Also any UT fan will say they want John Chiles playing qb anyway

Sooner_Havok
11/17/2006, 04:39 PM
as said on Tiger Forums, "I don't see Flynn passing up a chance to be on a National Championship team to play for LSU":rolleyes:

Fixed that for you! Lester will never win an NC buddy, each year LSU will get worse and worse

stoopified
11/17/2006, 05:48 PM
Well IF the Flynn scenario were to occur,I would think OUr chances to get Brantley would go up,brcause he WANTS to redshirt.Whatever happens I trust Bob and the guys will put the RIGHT guy under center.I wouldn't count out Bradford either as we have great sucess with in-state QBs(Davis,Watts,Gundy,White to name a few).

soonerboy_odanorth
11/17/2006, 06:36 PM
Ummmm... Can I ask the obvious question?.... (Sure I can!...)

If he's so darn good.... How come he's ridin' the pine?... Russel ain't all that and a bag o'...

So may I then ask the obvious follow-up question?... (Yes! By all means!...)

Why do we care?

It's not like this staff is not fully capable of plucking the best available JUCO QB and a promising lad from the H.S. ranks.

Not sayin' (yes, he is folks!)... Just sayin'...

JiuJitsuSooner
11/17/2006, 07:02 PM
LSU vs Miami

Flynn 13/22 196yds 2 td's 0 int's

Not Peyton Manning, but productive. The thing that killed Miami was LSU's rushing (272 yds) and time of possesion 20:52 UM - 39:8 LSU

I'd like to see him come to OU... But one question, would he count as a scholarship?

FlatheadSooner
11/17/2006, 07:03 PM
Ummmm... Can I ask the obvious question?.... (Sure I can!...)

If he's so darn good.... How come he's ridin' the pine?... Russel ain't all that and a bag o'...

So may I then ask the obvious follow-up question?... (Yes! By all means!...)

Why do we care?

It's not like this staff is not fully capable of plucking the best available JUCO QB and a promising lad from the H.S. ranks.

Not sayin' (yes, he is folks!)... Just sayin'...

I understand these forums tend to make one reflect on his own comments but you might need to take a little break. ;)

Texas Golfer
11/18/2006, 01:40 AM

This hasn't seemed to hurt TT.

chbrew09
11/18/2006, 03:23 AM
How this would be a great idea....if he were to transfer at the semester, go through spring ball and learn the system
How this might be a good idea, but wouldn't be that pretty...if he were to transfer next May and try to learn the system before next August and our first game.

The second option would mean early stumbles and if we're looking for a NC, we can't afford to have early stumbles

Regardless, I'd love to see Flynn be in a Sooners uniform. This guy is the real deal.