PDA

View Full Version : Doak Walker Award

mrowl
11/16/2006, 06:19 PM
http://www.athleticforum.com/news/061116news.html

semi-finalist announced:

The Guaranty Bank SMU Athletic Forum Board of Directors announced today the ten semifinalists for the 2006 Doak Walker Award.

The semifinalists (in alphabetical order) are:

James Davis (So.) Clemson
Mike Hart (Jr.) Michigan
P.J. Hill Jr. (Fr.) Wisconsin
Ian Johnson (So.) Boise State
Marshawn Lynch (Jr.) California
Darren McFadden (So.) Arkansas
Adrian Peterson (Jr.) Oklahoma
Ray Rice (So.) Rutgers
Steve Slaton (So.) West Virginia
Garrett Wolfe (Sr.) Northern Illinois

The 166 members of the Doak Walker Award National Selection Committee will cast their votes over the next week to determine the 2006 finalists. On Tuesday, November 21, three finalists will be named, and a second vote will determine the recipient. The recipient of the 2006 Doak Walker Award will be announced live on ESPN’s TheHome Depot College Football Awards on Thursday, December 7.

The award will be presented at the 2006 Doak Walker Award Presentation Banquet in Dallas on Thursday, February 15, 2007. The late Walter Payton, former Jackson State and Chicago Bear great, was named the recipient of the 2006 PricewaterhouseCoopers Doak Walker Legends Award and will also be honored at the banquet.

OSUAggie
11/16/2006, 06:21 PM
sentimental pick or serious pick, you think? i think serious if he goes off against OSU, which he tends to do.

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2006, 06:29 PM
It's amazing how young all the top RBs are this year.

Boomer.....
11/17/2006, 11:20 AM
Since the top 3 finalists are selected Nov. 21st, before the aggie game and his possible comeback, I don't think that he will make it. It is nice to see him get recognized.

OU-HSV
11/17/2006, 07:13 PM
Since the top 3 finalists are selected Nov. 21st, before the aggie game and his possible comeback, I don't think that he will make it. It is nice to see him get recognized.
Yeah, that sucks. Cause he's averaged something like 235 yds against the sheephumpers his last two appearances, so hopefully if he plays against them next weekend he'll hit that mark again. Too bad the final votes arent until after that game.

OK2LA
11/17/2006, 07:48 PM
I think Steve Slaton should/will win it.

OU-HSV
11/17/2006, 07:55 PM
McFadden is a stud too though

BudSooner
11/17/2006, 09:12 PM
McFadden is a stud too though

Wolfe is also, and so far it's a horse race between these two....but that depends on if and how well Adrian does against the pokes.
the fact that he comes back from an injury like that to play his possible last handful of games is pretty damn amazing.

OU-HSV
11/18/2006, 07:47 AM
Wolfe is also, and so far it's a horse race between these two....but that depends on if and how well Adrian does against the pokes.
the fact that he comes back from an injury like that to play his possible last handful of games is pretty damn amazing.
Very true..But Booomer.... said the 3 finalists are selected before we play the sheephumpers, that will make it hard for them to select AD I would think. Let's just cross our fingers.

King Crimson
11/18/2006, 07:54 AM
any award that Cedric Benson won makes me wonder....that guy was the most overrated back in football.

OU-HSV
11/18/2006, 07:55 AM
Yeah KC, but we know AD isn't overrated.

King Crimson
11/18/2006, 08:02 AM
Yeah KC, but we know AD isn't overrated.

it would be hard to overrate that horse. IMO. kid can tote the pill.

Scott D
11/18/2006, 09:28 AM
I think Steve Slaton should/will win it.

Slaton's hurt by the game against Louisville where he fumbled the ball left and right. It's McFadden's to lose.

Harry Beanbag
11/18/2006, 10:03 AM

Wolfe has rushed for a grand total of 190 yards in his last four games. He had a great start, but he's done now.

OSUAggie
11/18/2006, 10:27 AM
any award that Cedric Benson won makes me wonder....that guy was the most overrated back in football.

All-time leading rusher in 5A Texas history (over 8,000 yards) and 5,500 yards @ Texas ... eh, I wouldn't really say he was the most overrated back in football... he was definitely durable.

mrowl
11/18/2006, 10:31 AM

yeah, lets see, all of these backs were over-rated...

Reggie Bush
Larry Johnson
Ladanian Tomlinson
Ricky Williams
Eddie George

:rolleyes: