PDA

View Full Version : Another name to the QB Mix?

Spartan(Sooner at Heart)
11/16/2006, 04:52 PM
This is from the Detroit Free Press:

NICHOL FOR HIS THOUGHTS? Lowell High quarterback Keith Nichol attended his second consecutive MSU basketball game, and his sighting drew a positive response from the student section. Nichol, who committed to MSU in the spring, remains in the Spartans' camp, but recruiting sites have reported Oklahoma has been eyeing him since the firing of John L. Smith.

I'd love to see the Spartans lose this kid to OU. He is considered by many to be a better prospect at the position than Drew Henson.

Ostate4life
11/16/2006, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure who you guys are recruiting for the future but you have next year covered. I wont name names but you guys are getting a big time QB transfer who will have one year to play. And no he wont sit out a year thanks to a recent NCAA rule. I'll tell you this though, he is a big time qb and the sooner nation will be very pleased when the news breaks!!

As a Poke fan though it was dissapointing news.

chbrew09
11/16/2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure who you guys are recruiting for the future but you have next year covered. I wont name names but you guys are getting a big time QB transfer who will have one year to play. And no he wont sit out a year thanks to a recent NCAA rule. I'll tell you this though, he is a big time qb and the sooner nation will be very pleased when the news breaks!!

As a Poke fan though it was dissapointing news.

better not be messing with us poke...you just made me happy and I'm very curious who you're talking about...also, what's the new NCAA rule? Is it just dealing with his situation or something?

Ostate4life
11/16/2006, 06:11 PM
I promise you I am NOT screwing with you. I'll give you a little more info. The New NCAA rule is the one that allows one to transfer without penalty if you have graduated.

This kid is a player and he should be the starter for his respective team RIGHT NOW. I would have posted this as a topic but I cant start new threads, dont have enough posts yet.

Just rest assured that if this kid does come in next year you have a very real shot IMO of a national title.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/16/2006, 06:15 PM
Is Al Pena transferring here ;)

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2006, 06:34 PM
At this point it's just a rumor since it can't really officially be talked about yet. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ostate4life
11/16/2006, 06:35 PM
Al Pena isnt transferring but his first name is _ _ _ _ and his last name is _ _ _ _ _ and he is transferring from _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ university. He is going to be your starting QB next year. I think you sooners can figure this out if you want to. It is a very solid QB who will be a big plus to your program.

OSUAggie
11/16/2006, 06:39 PM
hmmm....

I'll take an M, A, T, T, F, L, Y, N, N and an L,O,U,I,S,I,A,N,A,S,T,A,T,E......

Ms. White?

chbrew09
11/16/2006, 06:53 PM
hmmm....

Ms. White?

I got the same answer...dont think there's another possibility

Ostate4life
11/16/2006, 06:55 PM
...........................................:D

Congrats Sooners!! If this comes to pass (Which im about 95% sure it will) then you guys will be in real good shape next year.

Desert Sapper
11/16/2006, 07:15 PM
His Peach Bowl performance last year was brilliant. If this is true, I feel really, really good about next year. Really good. Did I mention really good?

I'll believe it when I see it, though. A few days ago everybody thought it was a lock that Zach Lee was coming here. Now he's just another bugeater QB.

soonerbugg
11/16/2006, 07:20 PM
Let 'r Rip!
I heard the exact same thing. For some reason I think this is from the Poke premium board.

birddog
11/16/2006, 08:52 PM
i'm only good at the jumble.

OU-HSV
11/16/2006, 09:33 PM
I'll wait for a link before I believe this one.

yermom
11/16/2006, 10:02 PM
maybe Pellini is trying to help out his old buddy ;)

Ostate4life
11/16/2006, 10:26 PM
Let 'r Rip!
I heard the exact same thing. For some reason I think this is from the Poke premium board.

Actually the Horn Premium Board was the first public source of this info.:D I think this has been in the works for a while though. A few Sooner buddies told me about this a month ago and I told them they were full of crap. Of course they are connected in the program and other sources are now saying this also. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

Frozen Sooner
11/16/2006, 10:48 PM
This is from the Detroit Free Press:

NICHOL FOR HIS THOUGHTS? Lowell High quarterback Keith Nichol attended his second consecutive MSU basketball game, and his sighting drew a positive response from the student section. Nichol, who committed to MSU in the spring, remains in the Spartans' camp, but recruiting sites have reported Oklahoma has been eyeing him since the firing of John L. Smith.

I'd love to see the Spartans lose this kid to OU. He is considered by many to be a better prospect at the position than Drew Henson.

TCS was relaying this in the QB recruiting thread last week. ;)

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2006, 11:06 PM
I'll wait for a link before I believe this one.

Since it would be an NCAA violation for any official news on this, you won't be seeing anything until after the season. Rumors, rumors, rumors.

The Consumate Showman
11/16/2006, 11:42 PM
Oh speculation,
how I love thee.
I lose my hair
so constatnly.

Worrying, worrying
am I at ease?
No way! You kidding,
assure me...PLEASE!

Isn't QB recruiting fun? Maybe we can see if Justin Fuente has another year left...

Fraggle145
11/17/2006, 01:47 AM
Oh speculation,
how I love thee.
I lose my hair
so constatnly.

Worrying, worrying
am I at ease?
No way! You kidding,
assure me...PLEASE!

Isn't QB recruiting fun? Maybe we can see if Justin Fuente has another year left...

nice to see you back... :pop:

jdsooner
11/17/2006, 02:17 AM
The Flynn rumor is being discussed on the LSU board:

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=45590

yermom
11/17/2006, 02:29 AM
this avatar is awesome:

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/1284/imagegs6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

birddog
11/17/2006, 03:22 AM
there's his youth cap.

King Crimson
11/17/2006, 04:48 AM
The Flynn rumor is being discussed on the LSU board:

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?t=45590

gotta love post #10.

Scott D
11/17/2006, 09:20 AM
I was amused by the one who said that OU was a crooked ref's call away from being ranked ahead of LSU.

starrca23
11/17/2006, 10:19 AM
I wonder when we will find out anything official? It sounds like a good thing, but on the lsu board they were talking about whether or not Russel would go pro. I have to think that would factor into the chances of us landing Flynn.

jdsooner
11/17/2006, 11:37 AM
Interesting post on lsu board:

I just don't see OU declining to where they won't be a top 10 team. Which of course means they start out the year in the mix for an NC. And especially if they get Flynn, OU's stock rises. All of that has to enter Matt's mind at this point. And he may feel like he didn't get a legitimate shot at contending for the starting QB's spot this season and its a bone of contention with this coaching staff. And he could think that he will get overlooked next season for a more flashy and talented RP.

OU-HSV
11/17/2006, 07:26 PM
Since it would be an NCAA violation for any official news on this, you won't be seeing anything until after the season. Rumors, rumors, rumors.
Yep, I'll be waiting

Scotty
11/19/2006, 05:53 PM
this avatar is awesome:

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/1284/imagegs6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

"horse****, i can't ****ing believe it"?

Help me out here

Widescreen
11/19/2006, 06:00 PM
You got it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/19/2006, 06:03 PM
Not that it matters, but looking at his mouth I think he says "I cant believe this"

Seamus
11/19/2006, 11:39 PM
Lester swears on TV. He's not a good person. :twinkies:

soonerbugg
11/20/2006, 12:36 PM
Last word looks like "this" to me.

Scotty
11/20/2006, 01:09 PM
yep...looked at it again. its "this"

either way, he is a ******.

CatfishSooner
11/20/2006, 11:51 PM
"From his perspective, would you rather be one freak play away from being the starter on a very good team, or be the starter for a pretty good team? Assuming he would succeed at OU, it would boost his draft stock a whole lot. " stupid LSU fan

"You speak as though LSU's football team is far better than Oklahoma's. Oklahoma is a crooked ref's call away from being ranked just ahead of us. And that's without their QB and RB." Cool LSU fan

southern sooner
11/28/2006, 12:00 AM
any update on this kid? Do you think he will stay at LSU now that the talk is Russell will probably go to the NFL

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't expect an update on this until after the season. Where did you hear that Russell is going to come out? Those rumors change every day it seems. Just like the one about Matt Flynn. I think we should let this one chill until it becomes more substantive. If he is going to transfer, it's not going to help him if there are thousands of LSU fans razzing his butt for leaving . . .

Scott D
11/28/2006, 12:29 AM
The Russell thing has been floating for the last month or so. It was mentioned by the guys in the booth in both of the last two LSU games as well. Not surprizingly, they thought it was a bad idea for him to come out early. I guess we'll find out in the next two months how much substance is to both Russell going pro and if Flynn is going to use the graduate school clause to leave LSU.

Harry Beanbag
11/28/2006, 06:14 AM
I think we should let this one chill until it becomes more substantive. If he is going to transfer, it's not going to help him if there are thousands of LSU fans razzing his butt for leaving . . .

Little late for that now don't you think?

Mike4OU
11/28/2006, 10:25 AM
I would focus on the OU/Nebraska game on Saturday and then the bowl game before focusing on recruiting. I would bet that we'll land a quality QB in February.:pop:

Scott D
11/28/2006, 12:17 PM
I'd consider Nichol to be back to being a solid commit for Michigan State. He was high on Cincinnati prior to John L. Smith being fired at MSU, and since their coach is now the MSU coach...they should keep him.

stoopified
11/28/2006, 03:06 PM
hmmm....

Ms. White?Bingo!

KingDavid
11/28/2006, 09:05 PM
Little late for that now don't you think?

You're right. Phuck it. We all should just start sending him Sooner contraband for his dorm room.

Frozen Sooner
11/28/2006, 11:52 PM
I'd consider Nichol to be back to being a solid commit for Michigan State. He was high on Cincinnati prior to John L. Smith being fired at MSU, and since their coach is now the MSU coach...they should keep him.

I don't know that he's a solid commit. He's still a commit, but I wouldn't call him "solid."

jdsooner
11/29/2006, 12:56 PM
Looks like Spartan may be correct; Nichol is supposed to visit and Stoops has visited him.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 01:29 PM
Cross Garcia off the list. He's going to announce South Carolina soon.

Bloomer_Sooner
11/29/2006, 02:19 PM
We've got Nichol, mark it down.

Scott D
11/29/2006, 02:36 PM
I think Michigan State keeps Nichol. He only has about 10 days to decide. Spring enrollment starts soon.

starrca23
11/29/2006, 03:03 PM
Is Nichols for sure going to graduate high school in December? That would be the best case senario for us...IF he decides to head this way.

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 03:05 PM
IMO the best case scenario is to snag a star JC QB that can compete for the job in the spring AND to sign a stud FR to redshirt and season for a couple of years.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 03:38 PM
IMO the best case scenario is to snag a star JC QB that can compete for the job in the spring AND to sign a stud FR to redshirt and season for a couple of years.

didn't we do that last year?

Widescreen
11/29/2006, 03:39 PM
We recruited star QB's last year?

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 03:42 PM
didn't we do that last year?

I don't think either of them were considered elite prospects were they? I think with Bomar on his way they were able to take a couple of lower rated guys and hope they turned into something special. Obviously, that didn't quite work out; I haven't heard rave reviews of either QB anyway but we'll find out in the spring I guess.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 03:55 PM
in these days of 85 scholarships, you can't recruit 2 guys at QB and hope they will be something special.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 04:00 PM
and i'm not trying to be cynical about this, but we've mismanaged our QB recruiting so badly over the last 7 years i just have no faith that we can land a good college QB. and by that, i'm not talking about a "high rated" QB because that has very little bearing on their college careers (about 3/10 of the top 10 will end up being decent to good).

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 04:01 PM
in these days of 85 scholarships, you can't recruit 2 guys at QB and hope they will be something special.

To quote an expert: Didn't we do this last year?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 04:03 PM
To quote an expert: Didn't we do this last year?

i don't really follow recruiting anymore so i'm taking this to mean we took not one but 2 flyers on QBs that will be here for 4 to 5 years? ugh.

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 04:03 PM
and i'm not trying to be cynical about this, but we've mismanaged our QB recruiting so badly over the last 7 years i just have no faith that we can land a good college QB. and by that, i'm not talking about a "high rated" QB because that has very little bearing on their college careers (about 3/10 of the top 10 will end up being decent to good).

This again.

Of course there is no guarantee but any program would take the elite prospects because they've shown the physical and mental tools (presumably) at the high school level to be able to move on to the college level and excel.

How many out of the 10-20 group are "decent to good"? 20-30? 30-40?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 04:07 PM
my data on 11+ was incomplete as most of the pre 2002 years they only listed the "national 100". after that, it was problematic as we had a bunch of position switches as you would imagine. the two things that seemed to be a kick up in the rankings but had little bearing on effectiveness were height and arm strength.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 04:16 PM
and since you seem to be filled with disdain these days...

i'm more interested in what they are changing in regard to what type of player they are recruiting, because the prima donna model just isn't going to work. if you tell me #1 guy at his position is a workout junky, has a 4.0, and beat out the coach's son, then i'd be like "hmm, that's different".

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 04:18 PM
Okay.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 05:37 PM
I don't think either of them were considered elite prospects were they? I think with Bomar on his way they were able to take a couple of lower rated guys and hope they turned into something special. Obviously, that didn't quite work out; I haven't heard rave reviews of either QB anyway but we'll find out in the spring I guess.

Halzle was pretty well-regarded.

Bradford was a three-star.

I don't know so much that QB recruiting was mismanaged as the QBs themselves were mismanaged when they got to campus.

Widescreen
11/29/2006, 05:50 PM
I don't know so much that QB recruiting was mismanaged as the QBs themselves were mismanaged when they got to campus.
In what way do you think they were mismanaged? I haven't heard that perspective before.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 05:57 PM
In what way do you think they were mismanaged? I haven't heard that perspective before.

Mismanaged in that they haven't developed particularly well other than White and that the depth chart got clogged then got nonexistent.

We should always have four QBs on the roster going into two-a-days. This year we had two.

Widescreen
11/29/2006, 06:14 PM
What about McEachern? ;)

OSUAggie
11/29/2006, 06:16 PM
What about McEachern? ;)

He's no Patrick Fletcher.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 06:19 PM
i don't consider guys just skipping summer workouts as "mismanaged". i consider them as guys we shouldn't have recruited in the first place.

the other problem is the whole "if i'm not going to start, i'm going to transfer" crap that we've had to deal with. a lot of posters are of the mind "heh, if i was a stud QB i'd leave too" mentality. my personal take is that if they are that little of a team player, you don't want them in the first place. yes, there are instances when a transfer becomes the best option (heupel after he blew out his knee at weber state), but it shouldn't be a constant with the guys we are recruiting. since leach left, we've had 1 QB not (threaten to) transfer when he didn't get the job - thompson.

do i have this feeling that we should do this for every position? no. jackie shipp has redshirted the #1 tackle in the nation twice and hasn't lost either guy. he's also only lost 2 guys - dampeer and jacob whathisface rawls's buddy. bjw has also had an amazing record at keeping top guys happy. heck, cale has even learned this in the last year or so. maybe heupel will too, but that is unknown.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 06:20 PM
What about McEachern? ;)
Crap, my bad. :D

In fact, we had four. My head isn't in the right place today.

Thompson
Halzle
Bradford
McEachern

Of course, that's a bit of a talent downgrade from last year:

Bomar
Thompson
Grady
McEachern

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 06:21 PM
i don't consider guys just skipping summer workouts as "mismanaged". i consider them as guys we shouldn't have recruited in the first place.

Motivation is a part of management, as is recruiting guys you can motivate.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 06:28 PM
alright, we agree that its the coaches fault. we have issues with the timeline. i'm cool with that...

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 06:50 PM
I don't think the answer, by the way, is to stop going after big-name QBs-and I don't think we ever actually HAVE exclusively gone after those guys. Paul Thompson wasn't a big-name guy. Sam Bradford wasn't a big-name guy.

Would it be nice to pick up a kid who's a hard worker? Absolutely. You get a LOT more prima donnas as QBs than any other position, though. Sometimes coaches just have to turn a kid into a hard worker-and I don't buy that it can't be done. Something seems to be lacking in our transition of kids from high school "can't miss" to college "crap, everyone's just as talented as I am I need to hit the film room and not hang out at Hornets games."

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 07:00 PM
I don't think the answer, by the way, is to stop going after big-name QBs-and I don't think we ever actually HAVE exclusively gone after those guys. Paul Thompson wasn't a big-name guy. Sam Bradford wasn't a big-name guy.

Would it be nice to pick up a kid who's a hard worker? Absolutely. You get a LOT more prima donnas as QBs than any other position, though. Sometimes coaches just have to turn a kid into a hard worker-and I don't buy that it can't be done. Something seems to be lacking in our transition of kids from high school "can't miss" to college "crap, everyone's just as talented as I am I need to hit the film room and not hang out at Hornets games."

it isn't just us - look at fsu and miami with their top guys. i guess you could even toss usc in there with the kid that got arrested for rape. there is a sense of entitlement that just isn't going away. i understand that we want a QB that can "make all the throws", but it seems that we are giving up teachability in the process. if a kid comes in with a big arm you might as well chalk up a redshirt and 2 years of holding a clipboard to figure out that you can't force a ball in college football because its going to get picked. maybe its just me because i'd rather have a paul smith type than a carson palmer type any day of the week.

after looking at raiderpower, it looks like they aren't enamored with graham harrell either. he has been by far their highest rated recruit since leach got there.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 07:03 PM
Well, that kid at USC who got arrested for rape didn't actually do anything, but point taken. I thought Xavier Lee was playing OK for FSU, but I'm not sure what happened to him-I saw that he wasn't playing now.

Kyle Wright has been hurt by Miami losing that one OL coach they had that was amazing.

Not sure why they'd be down on Harrell. I thought that kid was pretty good. Sure, we made him look bad, but I can't think of ANY Leach QB that's played all that well in Norman.

As a side note, whatever happened to Justin Zwick at Ohio State? Wasn't he supposed to be "the" guy?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 07:12 PM
Well, that kid at USC who got arrested for rape didn't actually do anything, but point taken. I thought Xavier Lee was playing OK for FSU, but I'm not sure what happened to him-I saw that he wasn't playing now.

Kyle Wright has been hurt by Miami losing that one OL coach they had that was amazing.

Not sure why they'd be down on Harrell. I thought that kid was pretty good. Sure, we made him look bad, but I can't think of ANY Leach QB that's played all that well in Norman.

As a side note, whatever happened to Justin Zwick at Ohio State? Wasn't he supposed to be "the" guy?

he hasn't played since the loss to texas. we were after that kid hard too.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 07:15 PM
IIRC, the only reason he was playing against Texas was Troy Smith's suspension, right?

Were we after him hard? I thought he committed VERY early.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 07:16 PM
i just can't believe heupel got handed this situation in his first major gig.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 07:19 PM
Well, let's see if he can take a mess of broken eggs and make an omelet out of it.

I think things are looking pretty good for Nichol. For that matter, I think things are looking pretty decent for Brantley as well.

I don't think either of those guys is our starter for next year, though. I think our starter for next year is on campus right now. I realize that Halzle has looked awful, but given a year I think he's going to make some serious strides. We know he's a workout warrior considering how much size he put on in one year of JUCO.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 07:20 PM
IIRC, the only reason he was playing against Texas was Troy Smith's suspension, right?

Were we after him hard? I thought he committed VERY early.

well, QB seems to be the only position we tend to get to commit early. i think halzle has been the latest commit in the stoops era as most we get in late summer. he picked ohio state after he decided to not come to our camp and we were listed as the bridesmaid. we ended up getting commits from noah allen and thompson later that summer. we also went after d'andrea that year. ugh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Zwick

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 07:22 PM
a running QB would be a safe choice considering our OL and running back stable. i just wish we'd get away from this best available athlete crap, get a template of what we want and then go find it.

Frozen Sooner
11/29/2006, 07:28 PM
Ugh. It'd win games, but we've got two-three years of VERY talented WRs on the depth chart.

soonerboomer93
11/29/2006, 07:30 PM
I don't really know all that much. Personally I'd rather we go after a hard working, smart qb. It seems to a degree that we're getting better on OL and hopefully are keeping more of our recruits in that area. We definitely tend to be a running team first.

Mjcpr
11/29/2006, 08:09 PM
Halzle was pretty well-regarded.

Bradford was a three-star.

Right, not highly regarded.

KingDavid
11/29/2006, 08:41 PM
i'm more interested in what they are changing in regard to what type of player they are recruiting, because the prima donna model just isn't going to work. if you tell me #1 guy at his position is a workout junky, has a 4.0, and beat out the coach's son, then i'd be like "hmm, that's different".

good points, all.

KingDavid
11/29/2006, 08:49 PM

Heupel is the right guy to change the character of both the QB recruiting process and their development:

not a prima donna.
excellent work ethic.
level-headed approach to dealing with adversity.
the pedigree to discern the internal make-up of a recruit

A question to JKM about the transfer mentality for prima-donna recruits. I agree in principal . . . but what do we say if Matt Flynn decides to hang his hat in Norman for his senior year?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 09:32 PM
i think matt flynn would be a similar situation to heupel or troy aikman before him - the offense has went a different direction and there is a logical reason for you to transfer.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 09:36 PM
taking it a step further, i probably wouldn't have a problem if we had a sam keller situation develop with him transferring. where i am having a problem is that the guys we are recruiting face just a little bit of adversity and they run. or worse, their parents go to the media like bomar's dad or harrison beck's mom. these guys are putting the coaches in a position where they usurp their authority.

OklahomaTuba
11/29/2006, 10:11 PM
I'll take another ENA any day, over some kid who transfers just because he lost his job.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/29/2006, 10:54 PM
jevan snead piles onto the list.

LSUdeek
11/29/2006, 11:20 PM
i think matt flynn would be a similar situation to heupel or troy aikman before him - the offense has went a different direction and there is a logical reason for you to transfer.

this is all about whether or not jamarcus russell goes pro. according to kiper he is between the second and 4th QB taken, which means a lot in terms of round selection.

he's better than quinn, so i don't see why he wouldn't be the first, but i dunno.

anyways, there are so many factors here including the possible defection of our OC to a head job somewhere which could influence the situation. if jr were to stay, i couldn't think of any situation better for Matt than to transfer to OU... a powerhouse program with an excellent coaching staff with a chance to win championships. we all want the best for him.

if JR leaves, i hope he stays and enjoys seeing his hard work at LSU come to fruition.

KingDavid
11/30/2006, 12:10 AM
taking it a step further, i probably wouldn't have a problem if we had a sam keller situation develop with him transferring. where i am having a problem is that the guys we are recruiting face just a little bit of adversity and they run. or worse, their parents go to the media like bomar's dad or harrison beck's mom. these guys are putting the coaches in a position where they usurp their authority.

Keller received the full shaft from that HC - that's what it looked like to me.

I played football for Jerry Bomar. It's wierd how looking back you can see the seeds of stuff like what happened with Rhett. Rhett was a little kid knocking around the water coolers during practice. I wish I could go back and pick him up, shake him a few times, and tell him not to screw my alma mater. Oh well . . .

Coach Bomar was a really good coach for our program. We were a private school and he was the first "professional" coach we had hired - someone who knew how to come in and really run a program with any semblance of order.

But man was he high on himself. One cocky mudderphucker.

Oh well . . . not sure where this is going . . . signing off.

Seamus
11/30/2006, 12:41 PM
this is all about whether or not jamarcus russell goes pro. according to kiper he is between the second and 4th QB taken, which means a lot in terms of round selection.

he's better than quinn, so i don't see why he wouldn't be the first, but i dunno.

Russell better than Quinn?

I didn't know crawdads came in psyllocibin flavor.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/30/2006, 12:47 PM
Keller received the full shaft from that HC - that's what it looked like to me.

I played football for Jerry Bomar. It's wierd how looking back you can see the seeds of stuff like what happened with Rhett. Rhett was a little kid knocking around the water coolers during practice. I wish I could go back and pick him up, shake him a few times, and tell him not to screw my alma mater. Oh well . . .

Coach Bomar was a really good coach for our program. We were a private school and he was the first "professional" coach we had hired - someone who knew how to come in and really run a program with any semblance of order.

But man was he high on himself. One cocky mudderphucker.

Oh well . . . not sure where this is going . . . signing off.

heh, i played under the guy that used to be the DC at union, spavital. kels asked him one day if he had a receeding hairline, 3 classes later he was still red in the face. guy ran us so frickin hard we had nothing left for games.

LSUdeek
11/30/2006, 01:12 PM
Russell better than Quinn?

I didn't know crawdads came in psyllocibin flavor.

he's played better opponents, performed better, and has better all-around physical attributes.

it's arguable at the very least, i would agree.

it's easy to pad stats against all 3 service academies.

colleyvillesooner
11/30/2006, 11:17 PM
he's played better opponents,
Not really

performed better,

Is that why he has a 1:1 TD:INT ratio against the four ranked teams he played?

it's easy to pad stats against U. LaLa, Tulane, Ole miss, Miss. St., And fresno St.

Fixed.

starclassic tama
11/30/2006, 11:55 PM
yeah because brady quinn played so well against usc and michigan

jdsooner
11/30/2006, 11:57 PM
Keith Nichol is officially--DA MAN!

colleyvillesooner
12/1/2006, 08:37 AM
yeah because brady quinn played so well against usc and michigan

6 TD's & 3 Picks.

Bloomer_Sooner
12/1/2006, 05:01 PM
I think Michigan State keeps Nichol. He only has about 10 days to decide. Spring enrollment starts soon.

oops ;)

Scott D
12/1/2006, 08:22 PM
oops ;)

I have no problem being wrong in this regard. He and his dad were saying the 'right' things prior to his visit here, and I fell for some 'experts' thinking that the move to D'antonio wouldn't negatively affect his earlier commitment.

csbst2
12/2/2006, 09:31 AM
So where is Jevan going to go, anybody have anything on this?

SouthTxSooner
12/4/2006, 10:36 AM
From what I've read when the story broke, TCU or UTEP

Bloomer_Sooner
12/4/2006, 02:50 PM
The inside word is he's a Miner.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 03:32 PM
Hm. Isn't Ryan Leaf the QB coach at UTEP?

instigator
12/4/2006, 04:36 PM
Yes he is.

Scott D
12/4/2006, 07:18 PM
I wonder if he does interviews.

Common sense ref
12/4/2006, 07:25 PM
Yes he is.

Unless He was just hired there, Ryan Leaf is not at UTEP! He is in Canyon at WTAM. I worked a game out there in OCtober.

Frozen Sooner
12/4/2006, 07:38 PM
That's right. He's at WTA&M. I was remembering an interview where he was crediting Mike Price with getting him a job, so I made the UTEP connection.

However, Carson Palmer's little bro is playing at UTEP, nes pas?

And yes, Ryan does interviews now. He's apparently done a LOT of growing up. Plus, heck, if he hadn't been such a suckhole he wouldn't have put the Chargers in the position to trade Michael Vick for Drew Brees and LaDanian Tomlinson.

KingDavid
12/5/2006, 12:20 AM
heh, i played under the guy that used to be the DC at union, spavital. kels asked him one day if he had a receeding hairline, 3 classes later he was still red in the face. guy ran us so frickin hard we had nothing left for games.

there's a lot of unbridled ego in some of those coaches . . . but for every rotten egg, there are 3 great ones who make peanuts teaching science and history all day and then coach their butts off until 7pm at night, building up the character of young punks like me. man, i'm grateful for those memories. even of Jerry Red-neck Bomar. And I'm telling you, that dude was a RED NECK!

Archangel
12/5/2006, 10:31 AM
Back to Flynn

If he transfers, it wouldn't be till fall semester, right? If he doesn't get here till next fall(theoretically) I really don't see him as just stepping in as the starter without being entrenched in the offense. Any thoughts?

On Snead

Since Snead did not have a redshirt year at Texas, when he transfers and loses the 1 year of eligibility, can he count his redshirt year as that year and still have 3 years to play? Or will he just have 2 to play?

LSUdeek
12/5/2006, 10:35 AM
Back to Flynn

If he transfers, it wouldn't be till fall semester, right? If he doesn't get here till next fall(theoretically) I really don't see him as just stepping in as the starter without being entrenched in the offense. Any thoughts?

AFAIK he graduates in May. So, theoretically, he could transfer immediately after enrolling at graduate school at OU for the summer semester... ???

Jamarcus Russell just made 1st team All-SEC... and LSU is matched up against ND in a bowl. This matchup will have the current #1 vs #2 QB taken in next year's draft. Jamarcus will have the opportunity to showcase himself as being the #1 QB in the draft.

starrca23
12/5/2006, 11:21 AM
I am realy not worried about Flynn. Nichols will be at OU for a few years minimum so that will be okay. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have him, but if we don't it isn't as critical anymore.

KingDavid
12/6/2006, 12:31 AM
Back to Flynn

On Snead

Since Snead did not have a redshirt year at Texas, when he transfers and loses the 1 year of eligibility, can he count his redshirt year as that year and still have 3 years to play? Or will he just have 2 to play?

Snead can red-shirt during the xfer year and will have three full years after that.

starrca23
12/6/2006, 10:10 AM
I don't think you can transfer with out penalty can you?

KingDavid
12/6/2006, 09:28 PM
I don't think you can transfer with out penalty can you?

You have to sit out a year . . . but he'll be allowed to use his unused red-shirt for that year. This will leave him with three full years to play.