http://www.collegefootballgazette.com/

And the Winner is......

soonernation
11/16/2006, 05:10 PM
Take the Sooners Historical Test

Smith's Picks - Week 12

by Wann Smith

November 16, 2006

(This article originally appeared in the October 2006 issue of Sooners Illustrated)

Being a well-rounded, fully-versed fan of Oklahoma football isn't as easy as one might think. Following the team as they rip off ten or more wins a season may be exhilarating but it isn't quite as much fun to hang with the Crimson and Cream during those rare years when they might not be doing so well.

For all the pleasure derived from following Bud and his boys during their 47 game streak in the mid-fifties, it was doubly painful to watch it all come tumbling down on an overcast November day in Norman in 1957 when Notre Dame's Jim Lynch scored the day's only touchdown…

While it was great to watch Barry running up his 31 game unbeaten streak and two national titles between 1973 and 1975, it was no fun watching the record crash and burn in Norman against an unheralded Kansas team…

Watching Bob notch nineteen straight while picking up a national championship during 2000 - 2001 was terrific, but the nachos and cheese dip stuck in our throats as we saw the Huskers pull the upset in Lincoln.

The true test of any fan of any sport is that certain loyalty that is derived only from a genuine affinity for the program itself. True OU fans didn't turn their backs on the Sooners when they were in the valleys; they supported the Big Red through the thin (Gomer, Gary, Howard, and John) as well as through the thick (Bud, Barry, and Bob).

The average fan has probably followed the program for years and undoubtedly considers himself (or herself) pretty well-versed on Sooner football history. But unlike other universities with less pomp and tradition (e.g. a certain institution in Stillwater could probably list its football highlights on a matchbook cover…), OU has over a century's worth of impressive historical data available; subsequently, compiling a fair and even test for OU fans was no simple undertaking.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

proudsoonergal
11/16/2006, 05:22 PM
I scored 20 out of 29. Given that I wasn't born until the mid 1970s, that's not too bad. Plus, I'm a girl. :D

BTW - hope nobody gets the "Vince Young" score. Heh.

Sooner_Havok
11/16/2006, 05:26 PM
18. Who was the official in the 1947 Oklahoma - Texas game whose highly questionable calls made him infamous with OU fans and his name synonymous with bad officiating for years to come?
a. Randall Clay
b. Jack Sisco
c. Hal Middlesworth
d. Jim Tyree
e. Carl Switzer

Jack Sisco's calls in the '47 Red River game were so egregious that from that day on, OU fans referred to getting hosed as being 'Sisco'd'

So now do we get Riesed when we get bent over?

The Maestro
11/16/2006, 05:53 PM
Well, some of the questions were stupid and had nothing to do with OU. But I got 21 out of 29. One answer shocked me!!!

OSUAggie
11/16/2006, 06:00 PM
Well, some of the questions were stupid and had nothing to do with OU. But I got 21 out of 29. One answer shocked me!!!

heh, i got 22/29, missed on most of the pre-1950 stuff

The Maestro
11/16/2006, 06:28 PM
I hope I don't ruin it for people, but I could not believe ERIC FREAKING MOORE was not the answer on that question!!

OSUAggie
11/16/2006, 06:48 PM
I hope I don't ruin it for people, but I could not believe ERIC FREAKING MOORE was not the answer on that question!!

played for a long while and threw the ball a lot more than the 'bone QB's

soonerloyal
11/16/2006, 08:31 PM
Awesome history we have. I missed a few I thought I knew for sure.

I was much more taken by the linked joke article that chronicles Mack Brown crying in his office after the loss to KState.

http://www.collegefootballgazette.com/ida_mae_crimpton6.html

Even in fiction, I just cannot imagine Carol EVER having to beg Bob, over the sound of his loud sobbing, to come out of his office because the Sooners lost a game. But the joke seems plausible when it concerns MB.

SOONER44EVER
11/17/2006, 01:55 AM
22 out of 29. I kinda liked the picks section:

Oklahoma State at Texas Tech (-6) The Oklahoma State "defense" will simply not be up to running the length of the field all afternoon chasing Tech's wide receivers. Texas Tech's offense should make the overwhelming difference in this one. Don't be surprised if Pistol Pete finishes the game on life support.

Tech by 28

:D

devOUt
11/17/2006, 07:12 AM
My dad once told me the story about the cheating texas ref at the '47 game. As the ref ran up the Cotton Bowl tunnel to make his escape at the end of the game, OU fans hammered him with coke bottles.

ouwapiti
11/17/2006, 02:17 PM
i actually worked with jack sisco back in the 70's in corsicana, texas ....he was a substitute teacher and somewhat elderly at that time...probably in his mid to late 70's.....another teacher(woman) at our school was from shawnee...one day in the teacher's lounge at lunch he introduced himself to us.....i didnt know who he was but she did...the astonished look on her face was priceless...she told him she had heard about him since she was a kid and couldnt believe it was actually him in person........upon learning what all this was about, and me being a football coach and sooner fan, I asked him what the 'big deal' was.....he explained it to me but the years have faded my memory....i do remember him telling me something about him turning around on the field and wilkinson was standing right behind him and he 'had' to give bud a 15 yard penalty.....somebody please relate the story as i have totally forgotten the circumstances............

Blues1
11/17/2006, 02:44 PM
i actually worked with jack sisco back in the 70's in corsicana, texas ....he was a substitute teacher and somewhat elderly at that time...probably in his mid to late 70's.....another teacher(woman) at our school was from shawnee...one day in the teacher's lounge at lunch he introduced himself to us.....i didnt know who he was but she did...the astonished look on her face was priceless...she told him she had heard about him since she was a kid and couldnt believe it was actually him in person........upon learning what all this was about, and me being a football coach and sooner fan, I asked him what the 'big deal' was.....he explained it to me but the years have faded my memory....i do remember him telling me something about him turning around on the field and wilkinson was standing right behind him and he 'had' to give bud a 15 yard penalty.....somebody please relate the story as i have totally forgotten the circumstances............

Sorry I'm a OLD fan - but not that old - But I do remember my dad telling some old Oklahoma football stories and saying something like "We Beaned that guy with our coke bottles because our Jim Beam Bottles were still half full."......

My Dad was known for pretty Good BS Stories -- Maybe a half truth ... :)

Still R'

DrZaius
11/17/2006, 02:54 PM
That quiz was word for word ripped right out of the Sooner Illustrated Magazine that I get. It is a good quiz. The mag has about 20 more questions though.

Fraggle145
11/17/2006, 03:11 PM
21/29 not bad for a "youngster"

stoopified
11/17/2006, 05:26 PM
I got 26-29,honest.I have about twenty or so books on OU football and I read them a LOT.Also have the media guides from '86 on(that was the first year I found out you could buy them.).Great quiz.

proudsoonergal
11/17/2006, 06:59 PM
I got 26-29,honest.I have about twenty or so books on OU football and I read them a LOT.Also have the media guides from '86 on(that was the first year I found out you could buy them.).Great quiz.

So, which three did you miss? (I'm not trying to be snarky - I'm curious)

AlbqSooner
11/17/2006, 09:15 PM
23 of 29 My Dad told me about Sisco - not sure if he told me what in particular raised the fans ire, but he said the bottles were flying.

jwlynn64
11/18/2006, 01:06 AM
Texas took a commanding lead in the all-time series through 1947 with a 29-11-2 mark against Oklahoma. That 1947 game was a significant one and also had some controversy. This was the first year for legendary Sooners coach Bud Wilkinson as he faced off against Blair Cherry's Longhorns team. Time had run out at the end of the first half, and Texas was one yard short of a touchdown. But, a ruling on the field that a timeout was called by referee Jack Sisco gave the Longhorns one more play. Texas legendary QB and future NFL Hall of Famer Bobby Layne lateralled to Dall Clay, who ran the play in for a touchdown on the play. Wilkinson charged on the field to say that Layne's knee was down, and that they should not have gotten another play. Wilkinson's protest led to a third quarter penalty for the Sooners, and another Longhorns TD. Texas won, 34-14. The running back for Oklahoma was future Texas coaching legend Darrell Royal, who was in the center of the field after the game that saw bottles and other objects being thrown onto the field, and in particular at some of the officials. Royal was mentored by Wilkinson, and the two would meet on the field in the near future. The rivalry between the two was getting very heated and emotional!

I found this on a sporting news site. Thought that you might find it interesting.