PDA

View Full Version : On a side note, Boren to leave in 2008?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/16/2006, 01:35 PM
from the USAToday....

Oklahoma contributes an average of $750,000 a year toward an "anniversary benefit" paying Bob Stoops $3 million on Dec. 31, 2008, marking his 10th anniversary at the school. He forfeits the money if he leaves for another coaching job before then, though he'll get a prorated portion if he leaves in 2007 or 2008 in conjunction with David Boren's departure as president. Stoops also gets 35 hours of private air travel a year.

I didn't know Boren had set a date to leave? I thought he wanted to be here forever...

soonerloyal
11/16/2006, 01:42 PM
Slightly Off Topic, but Stoops is worth every penny, IMO.

Wonder if Boren will ever go back into mainstream politics?

TheLadiesMike
11/16/2006, 01:45 PM
I think the key to that is the if.

Meaning if he leaves before then, and Boren happens to leave at the same time, he will get a prorated portion.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/16/2006, 01:49 PM
As I read it, Boren is leaving in 2008. Stoops gets a bonus if he stays through the administration change.

Boomer.....
11/16/2006, 02:00 PM
As I read it, Boren is leaving in 2008. Stoops gets a bonus if he stays through the administration change.
It sounds like that to me also. I didn't know anything about this either.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/16/2006, 04:03 PM
i would like to think boren will be here for a while but he is getting old and running this university is difficult on him...
Bob however should stay till he is old as boren and witty as hell

All_Day_28
11/16/2006, 04:46 PM
I say "Bob 4 President"... who's with me??

TheHumanAlphabet
11/16/2006, 04:54 PM
No one has anythign on the Boren deal? I would think that this is a breaking news thingy...

yermom
11/16/2006, 05:09 PM
yeah, um i haven't heard anything about that either, and i'm on campus a fair amount ;)

OUswagger
11/16/2006, 05:27 PM
In Stoops we trust!!!!

Petro-Sooner
11/16/2006, 05:30 PM
Good ridance boran!

Jimminy Crimson
11/16/2006, 05:33 PM
Good ridance boran!

Seriously?

TopDawg
11/16/2006, 05:37 PM
Recently one of the student groups on campus pulled a retirement prank on Boren's birthday. It caused a bit of a stir and in the aftermath Boren said something about hoping to be here for 10 more years. I'm not sure if that was one or two years ago, but I know it wasn't 8. Unless things have changed, it appears that the article has incorrect info.

yermom
11/16/2006, 05:43 PM
that was this year, wasn't it?

SoonerStormchaser
11/16/2006, 05:52 PM
Good ridance boran!

AMEN!

JiuJitsuSooner
11/16/2006, 05:57 PM
Boran has been great for the University... how bout castiglione for pres?

lovesOU
11/16/2006, 06:47 PM
from an article in the Norman Transcript this am.

Boren has said that his own retirement is “rather than being one to five years away, I think it’s closer to five to 10 years away.” As the leader of these new vice presidents and deans, he said OU will be about new endeavors, new ideas and moving forward.

proud gonzo
11/16/2006, 06:49 PM
that was this year, wasn't it?it was this spring I think

ultimatesooner1
11/16/2006, 07:10 PM
Boran has been great for the University... how bout castiglione for pres?

as long as he stays away from the athletic department

SeattleOUstudent
11/16/2006, 07:50 PM
Recently one of the student groups on campus pulled a retirement prank on Boren's birthday. It caused a bit of a stir and in the aftermath Boren said something about hoping to be here for 10 more years. I'm not sure if that was one or two years ago, but I know it wasn't 8. Unless things have changed, it appears that the article has incorrect info.

This is correct. Im pretty "in" with some main peeps in the OU admin. They laughed when I asked if he was leaving because of his health last year. They said, "I dont think he would ever leave."

mrowl
11/16/2006, 07:59 PM
Good ridance boran!

your nuts if you think Boren has not been great for the university.

GottaHavePride
11/16/2006, 10:28 PM
Oklahoma contributes an average of $750,000 a year toward an "anniversary benefit" paying Bob Stoops $3 million on Dec. 31, 2008, marking his 10th anniversary at the school. He forfeits the money if he leaves for another coaching job before then, though he'll get a prorated portion if he leaves in 2007 or 2008 in conjunction with David Boren's departure as president. Stoops also gets 35 hours of private air travel a year.

I think that's badly worded. I think they actually mean that while Stoops forfeits the bonus if he leaves before 10 years, he would still get a portion of he bonus if he stays at least 8 years and leaves because the university administration changes.

As in, IF Boren were to leave in 2007 or 2008 and that spurred Bob to take a position elsewhere, he would still get part of the bonus. I don't think they meant to imply that Boren is leaving in 2008.

AzianSooner
11/16/2006, 10:54 PM
I think his time for President Boren to leave ...... runing for US presidency.

badger
11/16/2006, 10:59 PM
I believe that Stoops can leave if Boren does, similar to other sports contracts whereas the owner sells the team, coaches/players can nullify contracts.

President Boren has stated numerous times at numerous meetings and events during the past year that he is the "best health he's ever been in" and after the Pe-et prank last spring, he said that he hoped that the announcement was "five to 10 years early."

Don't kid yourself into thinking that Boren will die in office 30 years from now--- I think he fully plans to retire within 10 years and come back as a visiting professor (supposedly, the first question he had for his doctor when recovering from diabetes treatment was, "How soon can I return to teaching my class?"--- probably not true, but sounds good).

Besides, who would replace him? They took a senator last time. Think Tom "Dr. No" Coburn would be up for the task?

President Coburn: "We need to cutback these pet projects of these individual departments while our students plunge further into debt, and limit pork barrel building requests until state funding provides a majority of the university budget. Oh, and I only intend to stay four years in office, and if you want me gone in two, that's all right by me."

...oh, no problem IMAGINING. ;)

Fraggle145
11/17/2006, 01:43 AM
(supposedly, the first question he had for his doctor when recovering from diabetes treatment was, "How soon can I return to teaching my class?"--- probably not true, but sounds good).

Dude I took that class... he taught it exactly 3 times (this was in 2001) during the entire semester :eek: . His lackey taught it. Nothing against him he is a busy guy, but I am not gonna drink that koolaid...

Frozen Sooner
11/17/2006, 02:03 AM
I think that's badly worded. I think they actually mean that while Stoops forfeits the bonus if he leaves before 10 years, he would still get a portion of he bonus if he stays at least 8 years and leaves because the university administration changes.

As in, IF Boren were to leave in 2007 or 2008 and that spurred Bob to take a position elsewhere, he would still get part of the bonus. I don't think they meant to imply that Boren is leaving in 2008.

Every time I despair of the youth of America, I remember that there's still GHP and PG.

OklahomaTuba
11/17/2006, 02:07 AM
Bob could run OU while not doing his football stuff, and in a great way!

Frozen Sooner
11/17/2006, 02:09 AM
Bob could run OU while not doing his football stuff, and in a great way!

Certainly. That's not something he's going to say that he's not interested somewhere down the road, and he's not going to rule it out.

In a strong way.

yermom
11/17/2006, 02:12 AM
Every time I despair of the youth of America, I remember that there's still GHP and PG.

i'm sure they are exceptions to the rule

and not that young :D

Frozen Sooner
11/17/2006, 02:17 AM
Well, they're younger than I am.

Then again, so is our men's basketball coach. :mad:

GottaHavePride
11/17/2006, 03:03 AM
Heh. I'm just really good about ignoring what someone is actually saying in order to figure out what they mean, because most people are not careful about how they word things.

Norm In Norman
11/17/2006, 09:04 AM
I don't get the Boren haters. I was going to OU before Boren was president and I was there after he became president and let me tell you something: the University is 100 times better now than it was then. It's not even close. In '91 the whole place was in a serious state of disrepair. Now there are new buildings sprouting up all over the place, the Union is a place to hang out not a place to avoid at all costs, the campus looks like a park, the stadium is first class, we have more national merit scholars - I could go on and on. A lot of people don't like him for personal reasons and I'm OK with that, but he really turned the University around. And who knows what coach we would have right now if he wasn't here.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/17/2006, 09:16 AM
Every hour a plug pops out of his scalp. When he's out of plugs, he turns back in to a demon and no longer runs the university...

TheHumanAlphabet
11/17/2006, 10:41 AM
Seriously?

I think its a joke like "moran"...

schlanker
11/17/2006, 11:03 AM
That surprises me. I was at a fundraiser with him on Tuesday and he said he was finally getting the University the recognition it deserves for his academics and he has no plans to leave any time soon.

Dio
11/17/2006, 04:00 PM
What Norm said.

JohnnyMack
11/17/2006, 04:06 PM
I don't get the Boren haters. I was going to OU before Boren was president and I was there after he became president and let me tell you something: the University is 100 times better now than it was then. It's not even close. In '91 the whole place was in a serious state of disrepair. Now there are new buildings sprouting up all over the place, the Union is a place to hang out not a place to avoid at all costs, the campus looks like a park, the stadium is first class, we have more national merit scholars - I could go on and on. A lot of people don't like him for personal reasons and I'm OK with that, but he really turned the University around. And who knows what coach we would have right now if he wasn't here.

True dat. Mmm hmm. Yeah. And ****.

Petro-Sooner
11/17/2006, 05:24 PM
Yup, what Norm said.