PDA

View Full Version : question for you Doctors please.

oumartin
11/16/2006, 10:24 AM
Can a person go into an emergency room due to excessive bleeding and recieve a couple blood transfusions and walk out within 6-8 hours?

BeetDigger
11/16/2006, 10:47 AM
Was the bleeding via the nose?

oumartin
11/16/2006, 10:48 AM
um no. totally wrong side of the equator

Czar Soonerov
11/16/2006, 10:53 AM
Franks & beans?

http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes12/somethingmary281.jpeg

frankensooner
11/16/2006, 11:00 AM
You really need to be more careful with those stiletto heels. ;)

OklahomaRed
11/16/2006, 11:03 AM
Would need more information. Not a doctor, but I am a healthcare provider who works in a large teaching hospital.

oumartin
11/16/2006, 11:13 AM
just say a woman had feminine bleeding and she lost alot of blood enuff for the dr to tell her to go to the emergency room. she couldn't stop bleeding. so they give her a transfusion cuz she was a couple pints low. tell her that is she don't stop bleeding they are gonna do female operation on her that will ruin her chances to conceive. anyhow. that bleeding wont' stop and they give her another transfusion. it eventually stops bleeding to just spotting and they send her home 6 hours later. buy it?

oumartin
11/16/2006, 11:14 AM
and never on the stilettos. chicks gotta wear em ;)

sooner_born_1960
11/16/2006, 11:16 AM
If that's her excuse for not coming to work, I'd give her a pass, based on originality.

soonervegas
11/16/2006, 11:18 AM
Is there any doubt this is someone's reason for missing work?

oumartin
11/16/2006, 11:19 AM
no, this is just a question i heard this second hand and just curious if that is possible to get a transfusion and leave the hospital a few hours later.

OklahomaRed
11/16/2006, 11:38 AM
Um.......... Based off that, they would be okay sending her home with the counseling that she needed to come back in ASAP if the bleeding started back, AND they should make her a referral to follow up with an OB/GYN to see what was going on? Also, would need some major lab work to look at PTT time, INR, hemoglobin, and hematocrit (just to mention a few) to see if her labs were within normal limits. If yes, then there could be any number of possible explanations. Point, something is going on and it needs to be looked at. Second point, if the bleeding stopped and the labs came back normal, then technically there would be no point in spending more money keeping her for 23 hour observation. However, she needs to follow up with her OB.

However, to your point, sounds like a pretty tall tale to me. Might have looked like two pints to her, and there was actually never any "transfusion", but more than likely just some explainable bleeding. I would say 99% of physicians would keep her for a 23 hour observation because 2 pints is a lot of blood. Secondly, they would not want their pants sued off if she bled out on the way home. Of course, if she didn't have any insurance (not really). :D

oumartin
11/16/2006, 11:48 AM
well they said her stuff was normal and the bleeding was explainable yes. so you are saying it is possible. if it is at all possible then i am cool.