PDA

View Full Version : Daily Oklahoman???

Collier11
11/16/2006, 12:08 AM
Why and how is it that the gaylords are SOOOO frickin loaded, but cant afford to hire decent writers and editors. I am getting tired of reading the paper day in and out and catching numerous grammatical, spelling, and common sense errors that a middle schooler could probably catch. Do they not care that our paper is consistently ranked as one of the bottom 10 papers in the country???

Collier11
11/16/2006, 12:09 AM
Two examples just recently off the top of my head are calling Micheal neal-O'neal...and saying that Ou is in the big 12 north? How are simple mistakes like these messed up in our paper every single frickin day?!?!?!?

Rhino
11/16/2006, 12:26 AM
Although I don't get the print edition, I'm pretty sure the O'Neal thing was an online mistake.

And, it's just how it is.

jk the sooner fan
11/16/2006, 07:50 AM
no idea how the inner workings of a paper go, but you'd think that what you see online isnt any different than what on typeset...you'd think the source for both comes from the same place

i could be dead wrong though

mrowl
11/16/2006, 11:20 AM
its not just the oklahoman, the dallas morning news has gotten worse every year. It used to be a must read for me on Sundays, now, I pick the sports section out, and thats it.

Now days its all about making your shareholders happy. And Belo's shareholders are not happy. Their TV station (WFAA 8) is getting their *** kicked by everyone else, and their newspaper subscriptions are down. So what do they do? Get rid of 100 writers and editors.

Now, when you look at the DMN, most of the articles are written by the AP, New York Times, Washington Post, LA something... etc...

sucks.

I never thought I would prefer the Star Telegram over the DMN, but I am leaning that way.

badger
11/16/2006, 09:54 PM
they had brought in a new editor that had good perspectives, but he made some of the family upset, so they let him go. Same ol' since at The Oke.

The Dallas Morning News had a problem of its own (similar to the Oke being named "Worst Newspaper in America" by CJR). Advertising had apparently been lying to advertisers about how large their circulation was, so when the problem was discovered, they had to refund shiploads of money and lost a lot of money through that issue.

So, papers have their problems to work through. Like businesses, when revenues are down, do you hire more people to make a better product, or do you cut costs to make up the difference?

william_brasky
11/17/2006, 12:44 AM
Although I don't get the print edition, I'm pretty sure the O'Neal thing was an online mistake.

It was a print mistake too.

I've noticed more than usual grammatical and factual errors in the DOK lately. Have they cut staff?

I know the DMN cut about 100 staffers recently.

Tough times for the paper biz I guess.