PDA

View Full Version : Is postage really this high?

MamaMia
11/16/2006, 12:03 AM
I ordered this address plate, only with silver lettering: http://www.mailboxworks.com/images/richmond_vert_stndrd.jpg

and this mailbox: http://www.mailboxworks.com/images/SLite/SHF-BLK.jpg

The lady forgot to add the postage on the mailbox. She sent me an email saying that I have to pay $19.70 total in postage for both items to be sent Via Ground residential to Oklahoma from Naperville, IL. Is it just me or does that seem a little high? :confused:

GottaHavePride
11/16/2006, 12:05 AM
Depends... is it insured? Is it coming USPS, or UPS, or FedEx? How much does it weigh? I mean, yeah that's probably high if it's uninsured coming by parcel post, but if they insured it and sent it FedEx it would probably be higher than that.

Spray
11/16/2006, 12:06 AM
Sounds about right if she's sending it Fed Ex or UPS. Not sure about USPS, but I bet that's about right.

proud gonzo
11/16/2006, 12:24 AM
sounds right to me. I was going to buy a really cheap trumpet on ebay (to turn into a lamp) until i realized the shipping was going to be at least $40

SicEmBaylor
11/16/2006, 12:26 AM
I ordered this address plate, only with silver lettering: http://www.mailboxworks.com/images/richmond_vert_stndrd.jpg

and this mailbox: http://www.mailboxworks.com/images/SLite/SHF-BLK.jpg

The lady forgot to add the postage on the mailbox. She sent me an email saying that I have to pay $19.70 total in postage for both items to be sent Via Ground residential to Oklahoma from Naperville, IL. Is it just me or does that seem a little high? :confused:

So wait, if you're having the mailbox numbers shipped to you so you can put them on your mailbox so the mail guys can find you then how are they going to find you to deliver the numbers for your mailbox so they can find you?

This appears to be a paradox.

Ike
11/16/2006, 12:28 AM
Naperville probably adds a $3 per pound city postage tax.

its consistent with that town (which is right next door to me). Those dillholes find every way they can to screw you out of your money. Like for instance, if you buy a house in Naperville (which somehow got the ranking of #2 best city to live in :rolleyes:), you immediately have to pay a $600 "welcoming" fee to the city.

Ike
11/16/2006, 12:31 AM
Tell ya what, if you like, and don't mind waiting about a month for it, I can go pick it up for you and deliver it to you when I make my annual christmas road trip home to Oklahoma.

mdklatt
11/16/2006, 12:40 AM
So wait, if you're having the mailbox numbers shipped to you so you can put them on your mailbox so the mail guys can find you then how are they going to find you to deliver the numbers for your mailbox so they can find you?

That's why the postage is so high. Keep up.

StoopTroup
11/16/2006, 12:41 AM
That's robbery...

You should just drive up there and get your mailbox. ;)

MamaMia
11/16/2006, 09:33 AM
I think questioning the price of everything as we get older may be a family trait. I'm starting to sound like my granny. :O

Just for fun, I sent an email back, asking if they could send it postage due and I could pay it on this end. They're just sending it by Ground Residential. There were more expensive options on their order form.I shudder to think what the price of that would have been.

This is what she wrote. Keep in mind that they were the ones who failed to charge for the ground postage that I actually clicked on while ordering the items, but we now have "a matter" that needs "resolved", instead of a 'mistake' on their part, that needs 'corrected'.

When processing your order online it was noted that you were not charged shipping for the mailbox that you ordered. The shipping for that item is $12.70. This is over and above the $7.00 shipping fee for the address plate. I will need to have that amount covered before I can finish processing this order. Let me know how you would like to take care of these charges as your order will be on hold until this matter has been resolved.

Stephanie Dornhecker

Customer Service

The MailboxWorks

LoyalFan
11/16/2006, 09:57 AM
sounds right to me. I was going to buy a really cheap trumpet on ebay (to turn into a lamp) until i realized the shipping was going to be at least $40

You need a cheap trumpet, Peege? Howzabout a 1920s-30s one that needs some cleanup and "glueing"?...CHEAP!!! The oldies make the best lamps.
Since Martha passed away I've given up collecting old cornets and trumpets and that happened before I sent this one to my guru in Michigan for complete restoration...thus saving a few hunnert bux.
I also have an old metal clarinet you might want for lamp purposes. It would, however, become playable with just some minor stuff...pads, mostly, but be prepared to polish. The mouthpiece receiver looks like it was born to accept a light bulb socket, BTW.
Just think! Add a bassoon "pole" lamp, a tympani coffee table, and some Zildjian(TM) cymbals as lamp shades and "Voila"! You're on the annual Parade of Homes Tour.
They'd ship in the same box, so "twofers" would save you some travel bux.
If you need a player horn...trumpet or cornet, I might be able to accomodate as well.

Lemme know if you wish more info.

LF