PDA

View Full Version : AP Pollster who screwed OU gets what should've happened to Gordon Reese!

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2006, 11:02 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/15/bc.fbc.pollvoterremoved.ap/index.html

In the Air Force, if I did something like that, I'd get my *** court-martialed!

Blues1
11/15/2006, 11:05 PM
Dumb A$$.....!!!!

Octavian
11/15/2006, 11:10 PM
Kinda surprised....he made a mistake, apologized, and said he'd fix it after the Baylor game.

But that article didn't mention that he also voted Auburn #8 because he thought they beat Georgia....

Not knowing the results of two games involving Top 20 teams is pretty bad.

soonerboomer93
11/15/2006, 11:21 PM
Well, because OU > Auburn when you're wanting a headline

Crucifax Autumn
11/15/2006, 11:24 PM
Wow...Accountability! That's a new one!

Cuckoo
11/15/2006, 11:31 PM
Just means the next person that screws up isn't going to admit it.

DarrellZero
11/15/2006, 11:44 PM
It's hard for me to get too exorcised about a poll that no longer means anything.

SoonerTerry
11/16/2006, 12:08 AM
I get the feeling I watch more games than these f*ckstick voters.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/16/2006, 12:23 AM
I get the feeling I watch more games than these f*ckstick voters.You said f*ckstick. What is it?

Football Jim
11/16/2006, 12:34 AM
Why do all of these idiots want to screw OU's season up so much?
Between bad refs, bad press and bad voters there is no way OU isn't being singled out IMO.

Sco
11/16/2006, 02:08 AM
Wait wait wait... let me get this straight...

So they suspended a guy who was basically guaranteed to rank us ten slots higher next week (pending victory?)

Uh.... am I the only one who sees that this actually screws us over moreso?

Crucifax Autumn
11/16/2006, 02:33 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking

yermom
11/16/2006, 03:08 AM
It's hard for me to get too exorcised about a poll that no longer means anything.

tell that to teams on probation ;)

or USC...

the AP poll will probably outlast the BCS

oKOIhoma fan
11/16/2006, 07:13 AM
The media is NOT going to let the football world forget what happened, and in the end will fix the problem. Don't be surprised to see us take a LARGE jump in the polls come Monday.

fadada1
11/16/2006, 08:15 AM
while i like they taking responsibility for his actions, do you think this guy could... i don't know.... GO ON-LINE AND FIND THE FREAKING SCORE!!!!!!! WATCH ESPN FOR THE SCROLL ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN??????

not really helping that vaunted journalism degree's image now, are we?

TUSooner
11/16/2006, 08:48 AM
My guess is that he's not the only voter who has done that - just the only one who's admitted it. Let's put it this way: All the voters are sadly ignorant to some degree and (I'll bet) most of them just do what they think the herd is doing. Too bad though, since he was going to give us a boost, presuming we win.

Xstnlsooner
11/16/2006, 08:53 AM
You know what's funny about this...the dude's name is German,
Kleinpeter, and the German word "klein" means "small."

OUinFLA
11/16/2006, 08:53 AM
Actually, it sucks, the guy owns up to a mistake he made, and said he will make ammends. AP dumps him. I kinda doubt anyone else is gonna step up and admit mistakes, nor is anyone else gonna say after this weekend, "Hey, OU got screwed last weekend, I'll give them a break this weekend". Aint gonna happen, they will still vote the way they did. And the mistake guy isnt gonna be there to correct his mistake.

Crap, you'd think the way Im bitching it is keeping us out of a BCS bowl or something.......................oh, wait, Im confusing this with some replay official.

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2006, 08:54 AM
You know what's funny about this...the dude's name is German,
Kleinpeter, and the German word "klein" means "small."
yeah, there's pretty much a whole thread dedicated to that ironic fact.

Xstnlsooner
11/16/2006, 09:18 AM
Oooooooops, sorry, I missed it! Hate to be redundant!

BoonesFarmSooner
11/16/2006, 10:01 AM
Wait wait wait... let me get this straight...

So they suspended a guy who was basically guaranteed to rank us ten slots higher next week (pending victory?)

Uh.... am I the only one who sees that this actually screws us over moreso?

MONEY

Widescreen
11/16/2006, 10:05 AM
And I asked after the LSU game was over, 'Did Oklahoma win?' Somebody said Oklahoma lost," Kleinpeter said.
Give the guy a break. If you can't trust a reliable source like "somebody", who can you trust?

soonerjoker
11/16/2006, 10:18 AM
footballjim

JMHO you're paranoid

mrowl
11/16/2006, 10:22 AM
My guess is that he's not the only voter who has done that - just the only one who's admitted it.

He didn't admit it, every vote is public, just check out the AP website, they are all there.

He was called out by forum users, and then the news picked it up. He was busted, not admitted.

TUSooner
11/16/2006, 10:36 AM
He didn't admit it, every vote is public, just check out the AP website, they are all there.

He was called out by forum users, and then the news picked it up. He was busted, not admitted.

Sure, the VOTE is public, but the rationale (or lack of one) for the vote is not. I'm suggesting that some - maybe many - voters vote from misinformation or ignorance; they just don't admit that they are misinformed or ignorant. Even after he was called out, Kleinpeter did not have to admit anything or justify his vote, but he did.

Widescreen
11/16/2006, 10:41 AM
Sure, the VOTE is public, but the rationale (or lack of one) for the vote is not. I'm suggesting that some - maybe many - voters vote from misinformation or ignorance; they just don't admit that they are misinformed or ignorant. Even after he was called out, Kleinpeter did not have to admit anything or justify his vote, but he did.
Quit trying to defend the hometown idiot.

;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
11/16/2006, 10:51 AM
Too bad the AP vote isn't part of the BCS formula anymore because fixing his vote alone would move us up a spot.

Blues1
11/16/2006, 10:55 AM
The Truth Be Known many of these Voters don't know their A$$ from a whole in ground - This is why **Style Points** do make a diffence -- IF-- we had beaten tech 66 to 24 you can bet this guy would have probably have heard about it...

Another reason why Night games can hurt you Local Newspapers get LAZY after thier local game has had all their Full Write up...Back in the old days - When San Diego State had Very Good Teams under Don Corell the only place you could read about it was in The San Diego Union -- No other Newspaper in USA knew a Damn thing about San Diego State
JMHO...!!!

Still R'

rainiersooner
11/16/2006, 11:56 AM
I think the larger issue is using polls at all. This is what really concerns me: it is a college football writer's job to know what's happening in the top 25 and this guy thought he was doing his job by asking about the score without having seen a single play on the field. Fine, the AP doesn't count towards the BCS anymore. But the coaches does. And there is no way that the coaches spend any more time digesting games outside of their conferences than writers do. It's not their job at all. How can there be any legitimacy to a poll when the voters don't make informed decisions???

yermom
11/16/2006, 12:23 PM
yep, they should at least be required to look at box scores or something for the relevant teams, part of the problem is that the polls come out on Sunday

maybe it should be on Monday or later

OK2LA
11/16/2006, 12:39 PM
My guess is that he's not the only voter who has done that - just the only one who's admitted it. Let's put it this way: All the voters are sadly ignorant to some degree and (I'll bet) most of them just do what they think the herd is doing. Too bad though, since he was going to give us a boost, presuming we win.

He fawked us already - him "correcting" his error - NEXT week wouldn't help us all that much - We're not going to jump up any more THIS week by beating a WORSE team in Baylor. Tech is a better team.

Also, he had some explaining to do when he dropped us 10 spots after WINNING. Maybe some other pollsters have done similar things if they drop a school a couple of spots, for no good reason, but his actions stuck out like a sore thumb.

He dug his grave.

He is a freaking AP voter for crimmeny sakes! You're relying on a bunch of drunk patrons in a press box, or a "somebody told me they won". Like the poster said before - if he actually took his job seriously, he'd either stay up until all of the relevant games were FINAL, or watch ESPN COLLEGE FINAL or that tricky little innerweb thing - it's available almost round the clock - I don't think they shut it off but for a couple of hours for cleaning.

He admitted he was an idiot, and we are better off without him on there.

NOT having him on there and him voting us higher NEXT week isn't going to hurt us anymore than we've already been hurt.

The next AP voter to take his place will most likely make the correction in his poll.

caphorns
11/16/2006, 12:39 PM
This is really confirmation that the AP poll is bogus. It really doesn't surprise me that the writers do NOTHING to determine their votes pretty much other than follow the hype, yabber with their local buddies and watch ESPN.

Sco
11/16/2006, 12:41 PM
The media is NOT going to let the football world forget what happened, and in the end will fix the problem. Don't be surprised to see us take a LARGE jump in the polls come Monday.

Why would you think that? We got screwed out of Oregon, and no one seemed to care. We got screwed in this ranking, and they take out a guaranteed high vote for us. Why do you think that we're gonna benefit from this?

OK2LA
11/16/2006, 12:47 PM
Just means the next person that screws up isn't going to admit it.

Actually, he didn't have to admit to a thing - it was so glaringly obvious that he didn't do his job, OR he had a vendetta against the team. He was called out on it, and then came forward, and admitted to not doing his job.

If anything, this will let other pollsters know that there is some accountability in their actions, and for them to wake the fawk up, and do their job, or they will replace you with someone who will. They change AP voters quite a bit from year to year from what I understand.

FlatheadSooner
11/16/2006, 12:53 PM
Why would you think that? We got screwed out of Oregon, and no one seemed to care. We got screwed in this ranking, and they take out a guaranteed high vote for us. Why do you think that we're gonna benefit from this?

Me thinks we done got tag-teamed again. :( :mad:

Texas Golfer
11/16/2006, 06:18 PM
yep, they should at least be required to look at box scores or something for the relevant teams, part of the problem is that the polls come out on Sunday

maybe it should be on Monday or later

Agreed. This moron didn't even know the score of our game and voted anyway on a presumption. Others voted based on the score of our game with Oregon without knowing anything of the blown call.

The pollsters need to do, at least, some research before trying to decide who is better than whom.

AP sports editor Terry Taylor said: "We understand mistakes can happen, but we thought this one could have been prevented. The heart of the matter here is the credibility of the poll."

Too bad the Pac-10 doesn't have the same concern about credibility.