PDA

View Full Version : Geez.......I may destroy a cello

sanantoniosooner
11/15/2006, 09:27 PM
Iron Man and Smoke on the Water were never intended for that instrument.

I need a soundproof room for my son to practice in.

olevetonahill
11/15/2006, 09:30 PM
Put him in the garage
You know that house 4 blocks away thats for sale
That garage YW

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 09:35 PM
Buy him a cd of a group called Apocalyptica (http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Metallica-Four-Cellos-Apocalyptica/dp/B000001EMW/sr=8-3/qid=1163644463/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-9136714-2364860?ie=UTF8&s=music). It's a cello quartet playing electrified cellos doing Metallica songs. It's actually pretty freakin' sweet.

sanantoniosooner
11/15/2006, 09:46 PM
Buy him a cd of a group called Apocalyptica (http://www.amazon.com/Plays-Metallica-Four-Cellos-Apocalyptica/dp/B000001EMW/sr=8-3/qid=1163644463/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-9136714-2364860?ie=UTF8&s=music). It's a cello quartet playing electrified cellos doing Metallica songs. It's actually pretty freakin' sweet.
Been checking out their stuff.

Interesting.

BajaOklahoma
11/15/2006, 09:48 PM
I feel for you.
But listening to brass instruments in the hands of a n00b is worse. When my son was learning the trombone, I thoiught the dog was dying a very painful death.

sanantoniosooner
11/15/2006, 09:55 PM
There are two separate offenses.

One is bad cello.

One is classic rock being bastardized.

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 09:55 PM
I feel for you.
But listening to brass instruments in the hands of a n00b is worse. When my son was learning the trombone, I thoiught the dog was dying a very painful death.
I would argue that there is nothing worse than a clarinet in the hands of a beginner. ;)

proud gonzo
11/15/2006, 10:05 PM
or a violin

NO KIDDING!!!

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 10:14 PM
I would argue that there is nothing worse than a clarinet in the hands of a beginner.

What about a saxophone?

What are you doing, ****ing a cat!?

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 10:15 PM
No, no, no, I've got it: bagpipes.

What are you doing, ****ing six cats!?

Fugue
11/15/2006, 10:16 PM
There are two separate offenses.

One is bad cello.

One is classic rock being bastardized.

how do you think that cello feels having to play that crap? :texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2006, 10:18 PM
Tell him to play Freebird.

SoonerInKCMO
11/15/2006, 10:29 PM
I would argue that there is nothing worse than a clarinet in the hands of a beginner. ;)

Nah... Oboe. Double reeds succs

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 11:01 PM
Nah... Oboe. Double reeds succs

See, where I came from they wouldn't let beginners touch oboes. They had to play clarinet first.

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 11:21 PM
See, where I came from they wouldn't let beginners touch oboes. They had to play clarinet first.

Same here. No oboe or bassoon unless you already knew what you were doing.

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 11:33 PM
Although honestly, trombone's a pretty good instrument to play. I mean, professional-quality trombones cost around $5,000 tops. Now, you may be gasping for air at that, but remember... a professional quality cello, well, I'll put it this way. I know a girl my age, who is a very good cellist, but she's still in fairly small orchestras in Illinois. Her cello cost about $40,000.

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 11:34 PM
With that said, don't discourage your kid from music. It develops the mind in all kinds of crazy ways. Crazy good ways, I mean. ;)

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 11:35 PM
With that said, don't discourage your kid from music. It develops the mind in all kinds of crazy ways. Crazy good ways, I mean. ;)

Plus there's band camp to look forward to.

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 11:36 PM
Plus there's band camp to look forward to.

Well, not with a cello. ;)

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/110706/ghost-orchestra.gif

MNSFW.

BeetDigger
11/15/2006, 11:53 PM
Same here. No oboe or bassoon unless you already knew what you were doing.

Sounds like the oboe and bassoon are the Jenna Jameson's of the woodwind world while the clarinet is more like the girl next door. :texan:

olevetonahill
11/15/2006, 11:56 PM
Sounds like the oboe and bassoon are the Jenna Jameson's of the woodwind world while the clarinet is more like the girl next door. :texan:
I like your thinking :cool:

mdklatt
11/16/2006, 12:04 AM
Sounds like the oboe and bassoon are the Jenna Jameson's of the woodwind world

Nope, that would be the flautists. Dirty, filthy sluts one and all!

PhxSooner
11/16/2006, 12:06 AM
My poor parents had to put up with cello practice from me, and drums from my brother. My saintly mom suffered through my cello practice in the living room. My crowning achievement was getting to play the song at the end of Return of the Jedi. (Don't know the name; dancing ewoks singing 'chub chub')

Mrs. Cornelius had a cello at OU she called "Cello A". I don't even want to know how much it cost, but I played it once and even I sounded good with it.

mdklatt
11/16/2006, 12:10 AM
The condition my parents placed on playing the trumpet was that I only practiced when they weren't home. :D :O

PhxSooner
11/16/2006, 12:19 AM
The condition my parents placed on playing the trumpet was that I only practiced when they weren't home. :D :O
Gah. Trumpet players. Married to one.:rolleyes: :D

The band programs out here, or at least in my area, are so bad compared to Ok and Tx that I'm thinking my kids will skip the band thing.

GottaHavePride
11/16/2006, 12:22 AM
Gah. Trumpet players. Married to one.:rolleyes: :D

The band programs out here, or at least in my area, are so bad compared to Ok and Tx that I'm thinking my kids will skip the band thing.

the band programs out there are bad compared to Oklahoma? That's bad. I've been to a lot of other places, and Oklahoma is like a third world country when it comes to the state of music education...

mdklatt
11/16/2006, 12:28 AM
I've been to a lot of other places, and Oklahoma is like a third world country.

:O

BeetDigger
11/16/2006, 12:29 AM
the band programs out there are bad compared to Oklahoma? That's bad. I've been to a lot of other places, and Oklahoma is like a third world country when it comes to the state of music education...

Well, it is the place "where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain".

PhxSooner
11/16/2006, 12:30 AM
I went to Tulsa Memorial, but lived right next to Union and BA (back when BA was great). That's more what I'm thinking of when I think of high school bands, mostly marching bands. The high school in our district has 1600 students with about a 50-person marching band. Absolutely hideous.

BeetDigger
11/16/2006, 12:30 AM
Nope, that would be the flautists. Dirty, filthy sluts one and all!

Link?

mdklatt
11/16/2006, 12:31 AM
Link?

No way, I'm not going to get myself baned.

SicEmBaylor
11/16/2006, 12:32 AM
Band used to be freaking huge at my high school. I think we started declining when the old band director retired, but for years and years band was the schizznit at Fort Gibson.

Mixer!
11/16/2006, 12:35 AM
http://hjem.get2net.dk/10538overture/ELO/COVERS/COVER%20ELO%20livin%20thing%202.jpg

BeetDigger
11/16/2006, 12:37 AM
No way, I'm not going to get myself baned.

I knew that the band dudes were getting a lot more than us football dudes. They had the flautists. We had the stuck up cheerleaders.

mdklatt
11/16/2006, 12:39 AM
I knew that the band dudes were getting a lot more than us football dudes. They had the flautists. We had the stuck up cheerleaders.

Oh, the flautists were getting stuck up, alright.

apusooner
11/16/2006, 02:53 AM
i heard a guy trying to learn bagpipes the other day. the worst i've heard yet.

hurricane'bone
11/16/2006, 03:04 AM
I went to Tulsa Memorial, but lived right next to Union and BA (back when BA was great). That's more what I'm thinking of when I think of high school bands, mostly marching bands. The high school in our district has 1600 students with about a 50-person marching band. Absolutely hideous.

Hell Yeah! Tulsa Memorial! That's where I went to High School. We sucked. Bad.

whatsername
11/16/2006, 06:26 AM
How funny! I now live near both the Union and BA school districts and I grew up in Cave Creek, AZ. :)

To keep this somewhat on topic - my son practices his trumpet when no one is home, but when he learns a new song, he wants to play it for us. I'm actually very surprised at how well he does.

Now he's bugging me for more sheet music. I haven't searched online yet, but is it possible to find it online for free? If not, then I think I'll buy some for a xmas present. He really wants Boomer Sooner too. :D

IB4OU2
11/16/2006, 08:56 AM
My daughter's been playing the Cello since age 12, it was pretty tough listening to her constant cat screeching practice sessions back then.....now that she's 22 it's like listening to an evening with Yoyoma....and it was worth every penny.

SoonerJack
11/16/2006, 09:27 AM
My sons play cello and bass...then came the guitars...electric, acoustic, bass...you get the picture. The cello has been put on the shelf, unfortunately.

When my oldest was in 4th grade (when our district's strings program starts), he was like "dad, I want to play the violin." I was like, "actually, you want to play the cello." "ok dad".

I figured I would rather listen to him learn to play the cello than the violin.

Secon son comes along and pics up the cello because "I wanna play what Cam plays." Then he switched to the biggest instrument in the orchestra....well at least it's not a harp.

GottaHavePride
11/16/2006, 11:32 AM

Heh. I wasn't talking about numbers. I was talking about the general level of standars or expectations and the quality of instruction. ;)

Seriously, your average student form this part of the country is not even on the same page as the average student from, say, New York State. And you'd be shocked to hear 15-year old students in other countries sounding like really good college students in this country.

frankensooner
11/16/2006, 11:52 AM
Being a former member of the Pride of Muskogee, back in the day, we had pretty good music instruction. My daughter's six grade instruction seems pretty good too in the Edmond school district. I know after I graduated, it really fell off especially after our beloved band director Mr. Mac retired.

LoyalFan
11/16/2006, 11:29 PM
Hola! Eef I meh sesso, I like fruit cocktail een my Cello(TM).

Seencerely,

The illegal dude mowing jour yard.

GottaHavePride
11/17/2006, 12:18 AM
Hola! Eef I meh sesso, I like fruit cocktail een my Cello(TM).

Seencerely,

The illegal dude mowing jour yard.

This is comedy gold, people. :D