PDA

View Full Version : OU best team in B12 right now

MiccoMacey
11/15/2006, 05:33 PM
Great read on ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2662921

Even in his wildest dreams, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops wasn't thinking about Bowl Championship Series berths and Big 12 titles when Adrian Peterson went down with a broken collarbone.

The Sooners were struggling with a 4-2 record after Peterson was injured diving for a touchdown in a victory over Iowa State on Oct. 14. With the Sooners' tough upcoming schedule, some pundits were thinking Stoops' team would struggle to win seven or eight games this season without its Heisman contender.

Adrian Peterson broke his collarbone on a dive into the end zone at the end of a 53-yard TD run against Iowa State.
A funny thing happened on the way to catatrosphe for the Sooners. They suddenly developed into the Big 12's hottest team.

A five-game winning streak has boosted the 8-2 Sooners back into South Division contention. And as they've kept winning, the backdoor to the BCS has opened ever so slightly as other national contenders have kept losing.

Stoops isn't spending much time worrying about the BCS with two games left in the season.

"I've got my energy and focus on what we do about it," Stoops said. "There are still a lot of games to shake out. There's a lot of football to be played. And that's why I won't let our focus change."

Instead, Stoops has kept this team together with Band-Aids, chewing gum and bailing wire as it has eked out a series of gritty victories in one of the most masterful coaching performances of his career.

Although he might not say that the recent run is one of the most satisfying stretches, his players can tell how much he has been pleased by their recent play.

"A lot of reason we've been able to overcome the things we've done is because of him," OU quarterback Paul Thompson said. "He has always told us that one person isn't any bigger than the rest of the team. He even said that includes him. That's the mind-set we have -- mainly that the next guy will step in and pick up the extra slack."

The key for the resurgence has been Thompson, who has mirrored his team's late run with a strong finishing kick.

Thompson has proved to be a better quarterback than expected when he was forced into action after Rhett Bomar was sent packing a day before preseason practice began. Teammates say he has been a calm, decisive leader. His coaches said that his passing skills have been better than they thought.

Thompson not only has been a great leader, but shown more passing skills than he was thought to have.
"Paul is just a natural-born leader," OU running back Chris Brown said. "He's brought so much to our team. He just stepped into the job we needed him to do. He didn't complain and his leadership has always been there. He's been the glue that stuck us together all year long."

That leadership has been important through a trying year that included a controversial defeat at Oregon and a second-half collapse against Texas that left the Sooners floundering with a 3-2 record. Peterson's injury came in the next game, making some wonder if the Sooners could remain afloat.

The Sooner defense was in shambles earlier in the season. After allowing 501 yards of total offense against Oregon in Week 3, OU ranked 97th nationally in total defense. Heading into Saturday's game against Baylor, the Sooners rank 14th nationally in total defense, an improvement of 83 places.

After watching his secondary get torched in the first three games, Stoops reworked the unit by moving Reggie Smith from corner to safety, inserted cornerback Marcus Walker into the lineup and placed converted wide receiver Lendy Holmes in the starting lineup at cornerback.

Linebacker Rufus Alexander struggled early in the season, but has rebounded to play like one of the Big 12's best defenders over the past few weeks.

After Peterson was injured, converted safety Allen Patrick churned out three-straight 100-yard performances. The Sooners' running game actually was more productive with Peterson out of the lineup (an average of 190 yards rushing over their last four games) than when he was active (171.7 yards per game).

The grit and tenacity was best seen in the Sooners' 34-24 victory over Texas Tech last week. Patrick missed the game with a sprained ankle. Brown, a fourth-string tailback, relieved Jacob Gutierrez and produced a team-high 84 yards.

"We're loaded at running back right now," OU center Jon Cooper told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "We could get hurt five or six deep and we'd still be moving the ball. That's somewhat attributable to us up front."

A young offensive line that includes one senior, three sophomores and one freshman starter has jelled as the season has gone on.

"This has definitely given us a lot of pride," Cooper told the Star-Telegram. "We're kind of like the Denver Broncos. Any back they've got there gets a thousand yards. It says a lot for our coaching, too, and our whole zone blocking system. Anybody they put back there, they're going to get their yards."

Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who pouted after not getting the ball enough in the Nov. 4 victory overt Texas A&M, tied the school single-game receptions record with 11 catches against Tech.

The Sooners and Thompson made a remarkable comeback after Tech had claimed a 24-10 lead late in the first half on Antonio Huffman's 54-yard pass interception return for a touchdown. Thompson coolly led a 69-yard drive on the ensuing drive, hooking up with Kelly on a 40-yard TD pass with 10 seconds left in the half.

"You have to appreciate the courage and toughness it takes to come back from that," Stoops said. "And to rally and play like he did. He never flinched."

From there, OU's defense did the rest. Tech's potent offensive attack was shut out in the second half as the Sooners rallied for the victory. Tech posted 51 yards in the second half, with most of that coming in on the final drive.

Coming into Saturday's game against Baylor, the Sooners are sizzling. Their five-game winning streak since a 28-10 loss to Texas on Oct. 7 includes road victories over ranked teams in Missouri and A&M.

Even without Peterson, the Sooners still have slim South Division title hopes. In order to earn their first South title since 2004, the Sooners must beat Baylor and Oklahoma State and hope that Texas loses to A&M next week.

Stoops said he hasn't discussed that unlikely scenario with his team.
"I'm just talking about beating Baylor," Stoops said. "But they are smart guys and they don't need it as motivation. We're more than able to count, and in the end we have to win this week."

The Sooners are still able to count how close they could in reality to being 9-1. If Pac-10 replay official Gordon Riese hadn't butchered two calls in OU's 34-33 loss at Oregon, the Sooners would have won that game. They then would be a solid candidate for an at-large BCS berth.

"One of our losses needs to be looked at," Stoops said. "It's not one of those things I'm going to trumpet, but everybody should be aware of how it happened."

But even after vociferous complaints from Stoops and OU president David Boren, it appears that the nation is looking elsewhere for ranked teams. OU is ranked 17th in the most recent BCS poll. Their lack of sizzle is probably as much a result of the Big 12's lessened national appeal as anything else.

"We talk about the polls amongst ourselves, but as far as showing our frustrations in public, we don't do that," freshman tackle Trent Williams said.

The Sooners might provide one of the most intriguing story lines of any bowl team not involved in the national championship with the return of Peterson, who has said he likely would leave college for the NFL after this season.

Peterson has maintained he would try to play for the regular-season finale against OSU next week, although Stoops has not placed his return on any kind of timetable.

His teammates sense how much he misses the action.

"It tears him apart that he can't play," said Walker, Peterson's roommate. "It's real tough on him he can't be out there. He's trying to get back out there as fast as he can, but he needs to be sure he's healthy first. Hopefully, that will be in the next couple of weeks."

But with or without him, the Sooners have proven to be a tenacious and competitive team that has kept plugging away despite all the adversity this season.

Just like their coach.

Boomer.....
11/15/2006, 05:38 PM
Great article. Finally someone is paying us some respect and giving props to Stoops.

SoonerPr8r
11/15/2006, 06:01 PM
I read this today and if more people like this can be heard it should show up in next weeks rankings (esp if we blow out Baylor)

GreaterState
11/15/2006, 06:04 PM
Nice read, but I didn't pick up where he thinks OU is the Big 12's best.

Herr Scholz
11/15/2006, 06:08 PM
It's in the title of the article:

Oklahoma improbably Big 12's hottest team
By Tim Griffin
Special to ESPN.com

Widescreen
11/15/2006, 06:19 PM
Hottest != Best

StoopTroup
11/15/2006, 07:52 PM
How about this....

They suddenly developed into the Big 12's hottest team.

A five-game winning streak has boosted the 8-2 Sooners back into South Division contention. And as they've kept winning, the backdoor to the BCS has opened ever so slightly as other national contenders have kept losing. (tejas?)

I think you can safely say that everyone thought the whorns were the best in the Big XII prior to the KSU game....

So...

You might want to read through that again....

GreaterState
11/15/2006, 11:50 PM
You might want to read through that again....

What Widescreen said.

TexasIsOUsBtch
11/16/2006, 01:21 AM
I'm sorry, but when i don't think the man is saying OU is teh BEST team in the big 12... He's saying its teh HOTTEST... Hottest and best are not equals....

douxpaysan
11/16/2006, 01:38 AM
I think Oklahoma beats Texas with or without AD if they played saturday.

UHS-SoonerFan
11/16/2006, 02:42 AM

maybe, maybe not.

without AD, our game would be opened up more because they wouldnt be expecting the run. if we played a little more unpredictable and a A LOT better on the fundamentals of holding onto the ball, we win a 1000 times over.

Crucifax Autumn
11/16/2006, 02:45 AM
We're always the best team...we just have a ****ty week from time to time.

snp
11/16/2006, 08:17 AM
Hottest = Best at the moment

And that's without our starting 2 RBs.

Another thing, when did we move to zone blocking? I guess I'm dumb since I had no idea we switched. :O

ruf/nekdad
11/16/2006, 09:00 AM
Here's the deal; the whornes lose to KSU, they have mack, they suck big time and OU doesn't. It hurts, I know, but they should be used to it by now.

BIG_IKE
11/16/2006, 09:22 AM
Thinking Texas sucks (they do suck in general but Im speakin on skill/talent)
because they lost to K-State is foolish.

Ask yourselves...

1. Is Colorado 24 points better than Tech?
2. Is Okie State better than Nebraska?
3. Is Oregon State better than SUC?
4. Was TCU REALLY better than us last year?

College Football is unpredictable. Football in general is actually..any given Thursday,Friday, Saturday or Sunday anything can happen. The Whorns had a bad game defensively. It happens. They lost their starting QB in the first series and lost by 3 points.

I'm not gonna sit here and say we are the better team right now, because honestly I don't think we are throwing consistently enough to say that. You never know what will happen.

This article means nothing to me though. I appreciate the kind words and the "moral" support, but if you REALLY think highly of the Sooners then give us the damn Poll votes instead of a meaningless article. VOTE US HIGHER SPORTSWRITERS! Articles don't calculate into BCS Rankings, Poll votes do.

BermudaSooner
11/16/2006, 10:04 AM
This article means nothing to me though. I appreciate the kind words and the "moral" support, but if you REALLY think highly of the Sooners then give us the damn Poll votes instead of a meaningless article. VOTE US HIGHER SPORTSWRITERS! Articles don't calculate into BCS Rankings, Poll votes do.

The AP is not a component of the BCS...so basically that poll means nothing and neither do sportswriter's opinions--at least as far as getting a BCS birth.

TUSooner
11/16/2006, 10:44 AM
Nice read;

BEAT BAYLOR!!

OklahomaRed
11/16/2006, 11:33 AM
Stoops for Coach of the Year! :D

Good post Big Ike.

BIG_IKE
11/16/2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah...the AP is not a component..but it is a poll that people look at. And maybe, JUST MAYBE the goofy coaches who obviously have short term memory loss will see us ranked higher in the AP and remember...this should be a one loss team. Im not bankin on it though.

Reading articles is like someone making empty promises. I prefer actions to words. I would rather them not publish ANY article and not even mention the Sooners..as long as they rank us in a just manner.

caphorns
11/16/2006, 12:07 PM

:rolleyes:

Oh that's ripe coming from a soonerfan. How long have you been part of this rodeo?

sooneron
11/16/2006, 12:10 PM
Hottest doesn't necessarily mean the best. A few years ago, Syracuse was the hottest team in the ncaa tourney. Do you really think they were the best team in the tournament that year?

flopshotjoe99
11/16/2006, 12:45 PM
The AP is not a component of the BCS...so basically that poll means nothing and neither do sportswriter's opinions--at least as far as getting a BCS birth.

while true, the AP does seem to mirror the coach's poll pretty darn close.;)

Sco
11/16/2006, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes:

Oh that's ripe coming from a soonerfan. How long have you been part of this rodeo?

You don't think so? The only reason we lost to you earlier this year is because of our ball security. Had we held on, you may not have won that game.

jwlynn64
11/16/2006, 12:56 PM
The turnovers did hurt.

I think that OU/Texas are pretty even this year and wouldn't put either team above the other. I also don't think that Texas' win earlier would mean much if the two teams played today (at least with a healthy AP or AD).

We won't get that match up again this year however.

caphorns
11/16/2006, 12:57 PM
Sco - you also might not have been around here long so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Lets just say there is NO fan in the country who thinks his team doesn't deserve a rematch. Probably better to talk next year at this point. It's not like the polls are going to put OU over Texas unless Aggy wins. Thems just the breaks, no matter what you observe through your crimson goggles. Win it the first time because there never is a second time. It's the nature of the RRS.

As for this year's game, your team not only got beat, it got beat badly. Our defense was bruising on your receivers and turnovers are part of the game. Plus, the team with the most yards doesn't always win (see Texas Tech in nearly every game). Final score and nothing else determines who wins and should have won (unless we're talking the Oregon type debacle which the RRS was clearly not). My mocking is solely because you guys used to link every similar post from hornfans (who were equally delusional during a 5-year stretch LONG LONG ago).

FlatheadSooner
11/16/2006, 01:06 PM
Sco - you also might not have been around here long so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Lets just say there is NO fan in the country who thinks his team doesn't deserve a rematch. Probably better to talk next year at this point. It's not like the polls are going to put OU over Texas unless Aggy wins. Thems just the breaks, no matter what you observe through your crimson goggles. Win it the first time because there never is a second time. It's the nature of the RRS.

As for this year's game, your team not only got beat, it got beat badly. Our defense was bruising on your receivers and turnovers are part of the game. Plus, the team with the most yards doesn't always win (see Texas Tech in nearly every game). Final score and nothing else determines who wins and should have won (unless we're talking the Oregon type debacle which the RRS was clearly not). My mocking is solely because you guys used to link every similar post from hornfans (who were equally delusional during a 5-year stretch LONG LONG ago).

But if there WAS another game this year.......................OU wins! ;)

caphorns
11/16/2006, 01:24 PM
By the way, I do think the RRS was played closer than the final score would indicate. It was still a decisive win.

I also think our defense has been hit or miss, but particularly the pass D is missing on the road. A home-home series would likely change outcomes in years like this.

FaninAma
11/16/2006, 02:07 PM
You don't think so? The only reason we lost to you earlier this year is because of our ball security. Had we held on, you may not have won that game.

The turnovers didn't help but I think the illegal procedure penalties, the bogus PI penalty against Finley, the overly conservative play calling at the start of the 2nd half and DJ Wolfe's usual once-a-game gimme TD for the oppsition did more to hinder the Sooner efforts.

GreaterState
11/16/2006, 02:38 PM

Ding, we have a winner! I'll stop my stopwatch now; that post has arrived.

Props to BIG_IKE for the good post. If you use "every day is a new day" logic to determine goodness, then
KSU > Texas > OU therefore
KSU = much better than OU,

which I don't believe for a second.

Texas Golfer
11/16/2006, 06:08 PM
Arguing whether or not best equals hottest or vice versa is moot. Let's just beat Baylor and OSU and hope A&M finally does something right and beats UT. Then, after we beat Nebraska for the championship, I'll argue with anyone who says we're not the best and not the hottest.

douxpaysan
11/17/2006, 01:08 AM
By the way, I do think the RRS was played closer than the final score would indicate. It was still a decisive win.

I also think our defense has been hit or miss, but particularly the pass D is missing on the road. A home-home series would likely change outcomes in years like this.
Touchy ...Touchy I wasn't suggesting that Texas didn't win decisively in October. Or that KSU made you a bad team. It is just my opinion(rodeo or otherwise)that we have improved at a faster clip, a Bob Stoops trademark. Look on the bright side, Chizak isn't as likely to leave you this year.:pop:

Sco
11/17/2006, 01:21 AM

Eh. I just re-read my post and I shouldn't post right when I wake up. I didn't mean to make that sound like you wouldn't have won otherwise, but we did really shoot ourselves in the foot. In my mind this season, OU and Texas are equal - neither is better than the other.

Except when we lost our star player, we keep winning :D