PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 vote mistake

booomer
11/15/2006, 04:47 PM
I didn't see this posted......

OU Notebook: Voter mistake
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
11/15/2006

Turns out OU would have moved up two spots instead of one in this week's Associated Press Top 25 poll if not for a mistake made by a voter.

Jim Kleinpeter, a writer at the New Orleans Times Picayune, admitted Tuesday he sent in his ballot Sunday morning thinking the Sooners had lost to Texas Tech on Saturday night. He had OU ranked 15th last week but dropped the Sooners to 24th this week despite their 34-24 win over Texas Tech.

OU is 16th in the poll this week, five points behind Auburn, which Kleinpeter voted at No. 8 because he thought the Tigers had beaten Georgia when they lost 37-15.

"I was in the press box after the LSU game that night and I remember . . . asking somebody, Did Oklahoma get beat? and somebody said 'Yes.' When I woke up the next morning, I rushed through my stuff and when I looked in the paper, I didn't see the score. It was still in my head that they lost.

"It was an honest mistake. I'm going to correct it next week." Kleinpeter assured there was no bias against OU. He said he voted for Adrian Peterson to win the 2004 Heisman Trophy.

Crimson and Orange
11/15/2006, 04:53 PM
At least the guy has an appropriate name.

Widescreen
11/15/2006, 05:00 PM
That's absolutely awesome. Do you people know what "Klein" means in German? Un-freaking-real. :D :D :D

caphorns
11/15/2006, 05:07 PM
He was just compensating ;)

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 05:12 PM
Another great example of why asshats in the media and computer programers should have no power in helping choose the national champion.

The Preach Man
11/15/2006, 05:12 PM
dont get me wrong here because im not bashing this guy in particular but doesnt this show just how much the polls really dont mean much? The guy made an hones mistake and Im cool with that. However, this clearly shows that when these guys vote they just ask, "Did so and so win/lose".

GIVE ME A PLAYOFF SYSTEM!!!!

TUSooner
11/15/2006, 05:33 PM
I can't find the thread or my post, but I, yes I, broke this story on SF.com a coupla days ago. Kleinpeter posts his ballot in the times pic each week, and I emailed him to ask why he had OU at 24. He replied, teling me about his goof.

HONOR AND OBEY ME!!

StoopTroup
11/15/2006, 05:35 PM
The comments that Bob Stoops made in regards to how significant a mistake can be by a Referee can also be further verified by things such as this...

There really should be more accountability in the NCAA System for Officiating and the way the rankings are determined.

With all the rules these Colleges and Universities and Players and Alumni have to follow, it amazing that the folks who really can can effect the outcomes, have no worries when they screw up.

TUSooner
11/15/2006, 05:38 PM
I can't find the thread or my post, but I, yes I, broke this story on SF.com a coupla days ago. Kleinpeter posts his ballot in the times pic each week, and I emailed him to ask why he had OU at 24. He replied, teling me about his goof.

HONOR AND OBEY ME!!
Here:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82888&highlight=ragging

See ?! You must all now admit that I am even more awesomer than you already thought I was. ;)

Boomer.....
11/15/2006, 05:41 PM
Atleast he said that he voted for AD in 2004. I will believe anything that he says now. :rolleyes:

dougsooner
11/15/2006, 05:52 PM
The main problem with the polls is the short time the voters are allowed to get the picks sent in. If the polls wouldn't come out until Monday the voters would have all day Sunday to look at the games, stats, official's calls :-), and other things to make a better decision. As it is they have to turn in the ballots so early on Sunday how could they possibly make informed picks....

stoopified
11/15/2006, 05:52 PM
I.m just a dumb F'ing hillbilly,what does klein mean in German?

SoonerPr8r
11/15/2006, 05:58 PM

kline = without
I never even paid attention to that untill someone mentioned it on here thats great!!

RedStripe
11/15/2006, 05:58 PM
small

TopDawg
11/15/2006, 06:00 PM
The main problem with the polls is the short time the voters are allowed to get the picks sent in. If the polls wouldn't come out until Monday the voters would have all day Sunday to look at the games, stats, official's calls :-), and other things to make a better decision. As it is they have to turn in the ballots so early on Sunday how could they possibly make informed picks....

Exactly.

Man, I wish someone could've alerted us to this story earlier.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 06:14 PM
This guy is apparently clueless, and has an astoundingly humorous last name, but correcting his mistake would only swap us with Auburn at 15. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Widescreen
11/15/2006, 06:29 PM
small
Ding Ding Ding. He's Jim Smallpeter. You can't make this stuff up.

Oh, and I don't think releasing the poll on Monday would matter much. By the time Sunday rolls around, they're on to the NFL so they're not really thinking about college anymore.

OUinFLA
11/15/2006, 06:32 PM
Here:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82888&highlight=ragging

See ?! You must all now admit that I am even more awesomer than you already thought I was. ;)

When I get the money you promised in the mail, I will give you spek.
No earlier though, not after last time.

TUSooner
11/15/2006, 06:52 PM
When I get the money you promised in the mail, I will give you spek.
No earlier though, not after last time.
Translate THIS, poop head:
Du bist ein Scheisskopf!

:D

TUSooner
11/15/2006, 07:02 PM
kline = without
I never even paid attention to that untill someone mentioned it on here thats great!!
Actually, without is "keine" no "L" (Or is it "kein"?) Any German majors can correct me. :)
Klein (kleine) means small.
Let's not be mean to Old Jim, now, he just had himself a little brain cramp and he owned up to it.
I can see some smart-azz posters getting all over his case and turning him into a real Sooner hater. :rolleyes:

OUster
11/15/2006, 07:21 PM
I am sorry, fellas, this is no small deal...he is an AP voter and a professional sportswriter and he fails to even look at the score of two of the top 25 teams. His job, his profession is to know what is going on with college football and he doesn't even know who won in two of the top 25 matchups...WTF! It is not a mere oversight, it is negligence. Yeah, he is not a doctor determining who lives and dies on a battlefield or anything that important. It is just college football, but it is his chosen profession. ****, I know all the scores from this weekend and I am just a fan on my spare time. Am I just over reacting? I will make up my mind if we aren't in the top 15 after this weekend. :hot:

sooneron
11/15/2006, 07:38 PM
How hard is it for him to log onto espn.com and get the top 25 scoreboard??? this guy should have his vote revoked.

StoopTroup
11/15/2006, 07:42 PM
I think they should give his vote to me.

OUfan7
11/15/2006, 08:00 PM
Ya think he could at least get up on Sunday morning and check out the sports page while drinking his coffee, it's his job for crying out loud. If he does'nt care anymore about it than this then he needs to turn it over to somebody that does, geeeezzzz!!!

Scott D
11/15/2006, 08:07 PM

how dare you belittle the 2005 version of the annual BCS 'Oklahoma Rule' ;)

KingDavid
11/15/2006, 08:14 PM
Ding Ding Ding. He's Jim Smallpeter. You can't make this stuff up.

. . . or if you take the alternative meaning of klein being "without" his name actually is JIM DICKLESS.

KingDavid
11/15/2006, 08:17 PM
I am sorry, fellas, this is no small deal...he is an AP voter and a professional sportswriter and he fails to even look at the score of two of the top 25 teams. His job, his profession is to know what is going on with college football and he doesn't even know who won in two of the top 25 matchups...WTF! It is not a mere oversight, it is negligence. Yeah, he is not a doctor determining who lives and dies on a battlefield or anything that important. It is just college football, but it is his chosen profession. ****, I know all the scores from this weekend and I am just a fan on my spare time. Am I just over reacting? I will make up my mind if we aren't in the top 15 after this weekend. :hot:

Not over-reacing. What would you say if your stock broker misread the ticker and sold your shares because he thought they were up 50% when in fact they were down? You'd file a claim on his E&O insurance, that's what you'd do.

We need to file our own claim right up this DICKLESS Jim's arse.

Octavian
11/15/2006, 08:57 PM
...dropped the Sooners to 24th this week despite their 34-24 win over Texas Tech.

that's bad

that's really bad...but considering where he was:

"I was in the press box after the LSU game that night and I remember . . . asking somebody, Did Oklahoma get beat? and somebody said 'Yes.' When I woke up the next morning, I rushed through my stuff and when I looked in the paper, I didn't see the score. It was still in my head that they lost.

I don't like it but could let it slide.

Mistakes happen.

I mean, it's not like he didn't know the results of all his local SEC games....

...Auburn, which Kleinpeter voted at No. 8 because he thought the Tigers had beaten Georgia when they lost 37-15.

oh.

SoonerGM
11/15/2006, 09:17 PM
speaking of LSU, apparently my new next door neighbors are hardcore LSU fans. and the 2 houses directly across from me are OSU fans... why me... ?!

anyway, this is ridiculous. i agree, it is this guys job, how hard is it to track whats going on? at least tune in to college game day or something, sure it may have some bias going on there too but at least you can see some highlights. what a joke.

i can cut the coaches some slack, because thier job is to get thier team to win games. but a journalist? why is it that i work 9-10 hours a day, go to school, have a family to spend time with and i still know more about college football than this guy?

MiccoMacey
11/15/2006, 09:29 PM
Won't make much of a difference if we beat Baylor. Next week, he'll correct the mistakes. We're not penalized for his mistake except for a meaningless poll not at the end of the season.

SoonerGM
11/15/2006, 09:32 PM
im really not so upset that this incident happend to us. but its like anything else. i mean, if you see 1 termite on your house, you will find a lot more if you just dig a little bit.

this is not the only guy rushing carelessly through his votes.

Indy Sooner
11/15/2006, 09:34 PM
I expect Mr. Smallpeter to vote OU #1 next week in order to average out the two weeks. A one-loss OU squad which is playing better than anyone else in the south or west could surely defeat the winner of the Big 10?

TXBOOMER
11/15/2006, 09:51 PM

sucks

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 10:09 PM
dont get me wrong here because im not bashing this guy in particular but doesnt this show just how much the polls really dont mean much?

Yep. But every BCS "fix" increases the weight of the same flawed human polls the BCS was supposed to supplant in the first place. :rolleyes:

GIVE ME A PLAYOFF SYSTEM!!!!

Who decides who gets to be in the playoff?

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 10:11 PM
Who decides who gets to be in the playoff?

Lee Corso and Lou Holtz

TopDawg
11/15/2006, 10:31 PM
why is it that i work 9-10 hours a day, go to school, have a family to spend time with and i still know more about college football than this guy?

If I recall correctly, LSU was playing a late game last week too. He probably had to stay up late getting his story done before the deadline for Sunday's paper and then had to rush to get his vote in.

I agree that the turnaround for the polls is too quick. There would be some NFL distraction for the voters, but it would still give them another 24 hours to do some research...even if it just means taking the time to double check your info.

But I think whoever it is that tallies these votes should also be looking at the ballots that are turned in. If the AP wants to be taken seriously as a legit poll, there should be someone along the line somewhere who is checking for these kinds of things. Someone should've seen that ballot and realized something was amiss.

In fact, it'd be ideal if the voters had a login on the AP poll site (or whatever) where they could go and see the results of the teams in the previous Top 25 and fill out an online ballot.

GrapevineSooner
11/15/2006, 10:39 PM

I appreciate this guy's honesty.

But has he ever heard of this wonderful invention called the INTERNET?!!!

Surely, they had Wi-Fi in the press box in Baton Rogue do they not?

TopDawg
11/15/2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it's easy to say he should've double checked, but it's not that outrageous that he didn't. I bet he saw the score when it was 24-10, which is probably why he asked if Oklahoma lost (instead of "Who won the OU game?") and then when someone--who he probably thought would only answer if he was sure--told him "yes", well...nothing to make him doubt that it was true.

Plus, there probably is a little bit of an "eh" factor with the teams you're putting in spots 11-25 (maybe even 4-25) since it's likely to have very little impact on anything important. He knew they were losing, someone told him they lost, it wouldn't have been a big upset, they're outside the Top 15 anyway...no red flags so far.

Blues1
11/15/2006, 11:02 PM
What else is going to happen this Season..?? -- Lets email this guy and say vote us in top 5 this week to make up for his mistake.....We could be taking alot of $$$$$$ in bowl money - unless we get this corrected...

OUster
11/15/2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, it's easy to say he should've double checked, but it's not that outrageous that he didn't. I bet he saw the score when it was 24-10, which is probably why he asked if Oklahoma lost (instead of "Who won the OU game?") and then when someone--who he probably thought would only answer if he was sure--told him "yes", well...nothing to make him doubt that it was true.

Dawg, it's his job. I don't know what your profession is but I am sure you are professional. If you were an attorney, you wouldn't argue a motion for your client with information you got from the guard at the front door. You do your own research. Plus, I would have had some sympathy for him but he also thought Auburn beat Georgia and ranked Auburn accordingly. Sorry brother Sooner, those two combined do rise to the level of outrageous. I just read on CNN that the AP canceled dude's contract.

Octavian
11/15/2006, 11:13 PM
Lets email this guy and say vote us in top 5 this week to make up for his mistake....

Our fanbase doesn't need to become the focus of another story this year.

Let's sit back and watch this thing get straightened out after another win.

Scotty
11/15/2006, 11:14 PM
so basically this is how i interpret pollsters methods of balloting:

smallpeter: "So did OU lose to tech today"

some dude: "yep"

smallpeter: "OK"

*moves OU down in ranking*

Sooner_Havok
11/15/2006, 11:17 PM
I don't like it but could let it slide.

Mistakes happen.

I mean, it's not like he didn't know the results of all his local SEC games....

That's the thing. I could probably let it go as a simple mistake, but to also think that Auburn won a game that ended well before the LSU game even started...That is the kicker. Pull your head out of your arse, go to www.espn.com and look at the college football top 25 scores, it isn't hard I promise.

Blues1
11/15/2006, 11:21 PM
Our fanbase doesn't need to become the focus of another story this year.

Let's sit back and watch this thing get straightened out after another win.

Yep - Your right - I just can't believe how we've had 2 or 3 posts on this board on how can we break the into Top 15 and then this comes out....It's almost like we are running in slow motion...!!!

Still R'

Boomer.....
11/16/2006, 09:59 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/11/15/bc.fbc.pollvoterremoved.ap/index.html

'It was my fault'
Writer removed from AP poll board after goof on OU
Posted: Wednesday November 15, 2006 10:19PM; Updated: Wednesday November 15, 2006 10:19PM

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A voter for The Associated Press college football poll was removed from the poll board Wednesday because he mistakenly thought Oklahoma had lost to Texas Tech and voted the Sooners lower in this week's rankings.

Jim Kleinpeter of The Times-Picayune of New Orleans said he tried to find the score of the Oklahoma game, but was unable to do so.

He said he was in the press box at the Alabama-LSU game "and I was asking about different teams, thinking about the poll the next day. ... I thought somebody told me that Oklahoma was losing to Texas Tech at some point. And I asked after the LSU game was over, 'Did Oklahoma win?' Somebody said Oklahoma lost," Kleinpeter said.

The Sooners rallied from a 14-point deficit to beat Texas Tech 34-24.

Because he believed the Sooners (8-2, 5-1) had lost, Kleinpeter said he dropped Oklahoma from 15th to 24th on his ballot.

The Sooners actually moved up one spot, from No. 17 to No. 16, in the current poll.

"It was my fault. I probably had other avenues I could have gone to get the score, but I usually rely on the morning paper here in Baton Rouge. And for some reason, they didn't have the score. I looked all through it," he said.

"It's as simple as that. It was a mistake," he said. "I usually never have a problem with accuracy. It's the most important thing for me."

AP sports editor Terry Taylor said: "We understand mistakes can happen, but we thought this one could have been prevented. The heart of the matter here is the credibility of the poll."

bluedogok
11/16/2006, 10:05 AM
It is not as if there isn't a screen crawl on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News with the score every 10 minutes and any of hundreds of internet websites. He was lazy in his research and his removal from voting is the proper course of action.

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2006, 10:10 AM
It reminds me of that backup QB that admitted he didn't hadn't studied the gameplan and stunk it up and got canned a few years back. Was it Billy Joe Tolliver? It was some dude with two first names.

JohnnyMack
11/16/2006, 10:11 AM
Well the guy is moron, but it's not like this really matters.

Widescreen
11/16/2006, 10:13 AM
If the last thing he heard was that OU was losing 24-10, I would think just finding out who won wouldn't be enough anyway. What if we had lost 65-10 at home? Would we still be worthy of a #24 ranking? Probably not.