PDA

View Full Version : Libz ban JROTC here in San Fran...

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 11:50 AM
Banned military recruiting - check.
Banned hand guns - check.
Banned the pledge - check.

I guess this was the next logical step.

SAN FRANCISCO — High schools across the city soon will no longer have Junior Reserve Officers'Training Corps programs after officials decided to eliminate them because of the Pentagon's"don't ask, don't tell"policy regarding gay service members.

The Board of Education voted 4-2 late Tuesday to phase out the JROTC from schools over the next two years, despite protest from hundreds of students who rallied outside the meeting.

The resolution passed says the military's ban on openly gay soldiers violates the school district's equal rights policy for gays.http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Nov15/0,4670,JuniorROTC,00.html

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 11:52 AM
they didn't have JROTC at my highschool.

royalfan5
11/15/2006, 11:53 AM
I didn't know there was such a thing as JROTC. We don't have them in Nebraska either apparently.

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 11:54 AM
Damn, really?

Tulsa had a HUGE JROTC program. It was great.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 11:55 AM
Damn, really?

Tulsa had a HUGE JROTC program. It was great.

were you in it?

what does JROTC do?

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 11:59 AM
they didn't have JROTC at my highschool.

Homo.

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 12:00 PM
Yup. It was like a class with a lot of mandatory volunteering, team building things like ropes courses, physical activity, citizenship education (good stuff BTW) competitions with other Tulsa schools, etc.

It was a great experience with great people. The best part was the Oklahoma Air National Guard letting us fly with them.

OklahomaRed
11/15/2006, 12:08 PM
I say we allow "whomever" to invade San Francisco and see what they do to defend themselves? :D They could all run out in the streets and hit the invaders with their purses !! :eek:

Rhino
11/15/2006, 12:15 PM
they didn't have JROTC at my highschool. My high school was a bunch of America-haters too, apparently.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 12:15 PM
a lot of mandatory volunteering

:confused:

TrophyCollector
11/15/2006, 12:23 PM
a lot of mandatory volunteering

:confused:

You must not have been in the military or that would make perfect sense to you.

SoonerInKCMO
11/15/2006, 01:06 PM
No JROTC in my schools* either. Damn libz must've been running amok in OKC schools back in the day.

*I went to three different high schools.

OCUDad
11/15/2006, 01:11 PM
I'm just astounded, appalled, and disillusioned that Tuba made a post about JROTC without knowing all the "facts" about everything.

soonerinabilene
11/15/2006, 01:12 PM
we should just give san fran to france. that is retarded.

Rhino
11/15/2006, 01:14 PM
Banned hand guns - check. Wait. San Francisco high schools used to allow hand guns on campus?

Jerk
11/15/2006, 01:18 PM
I say we ban libs.

crawfish
11/15/2006, 01:31 PM
I say we ban gays just to spite 'em.

bri
11/15/2006, 01:34 PM
I say we ban libs.

Can it wait a couple of years? We're kind of busy running everything right now. :D

Jerk
11/15/2006, 01:40 PM
Or we can just round em all up and send them to some Islamic country so they can figure out what "religious bigotry" really is.

Jerk
11/15/2006, 01:41 PM
Can it wait a couple of years? We're kind of busy running everything right now. :D

You're exempted, Bri. That's the bonus of being a celebrity.

Good luck on running things.

bri
11/15/2006, 01:49 PM
It'll be like the Sports Book, only more bigger! :D

jk the sooner fan
11/15/2006, 01:54 PM
big deal

how many kids were in jrotc in san fran schools anyway?

i'm sure the military can overcome this

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 02:04 PM
big deal

how many kids were in jrotc in san fran schools anyway?

i'm sure the military can overcome this

It’s not just one thing like this; it’s the trend that’s disappointing really.

They already kicked a WW2 battleship museum out of here, and they are thinking about stopping fleet week as well.

Hypocrisy at its finest for the "tolerant, peace loving" crowd.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 02:14 PM
It sounds like JROTC is a great afterschool or in school type program that was good for kids. Much like choir, debate and athletics are good for kids to be in something that makes them proud to be a part of something other than a gang.

I'm with Tuba on this although maybe for different reasons.

I thought programs for kids was a big deal for democrats?

Okla-homey
11/15/2006, 02:15 PM
Banned military recruiting - check.
Banned hand guns - check.
Banned the pledge - check.

I guess this was the next logical step.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Nov15/0,4670,JuniorROTC,00.html

Those kids can sue because the school board is denying them a government entitled program. The DoD can sue because they need the recruits that flow from these JROTC programs in order to function. I should think the same outcome would result as when when several law schools tried to kick military military recruiters off campus. In that case, decided last summer, SCOTUS said, fine, but if you do, no federal dollars for you!

Further, the very notion that the military should be compelled to accept out-of-the closet gheys is absurd.

Mjcpr
11/15/2006, 02:15 PM

No, idiot, they hate kids. Always have.

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 02:20 PM
No, idiot, they hate kids. Always have.

On the other hand, couples who have kids are worthy of tax breaks even if they make more than people who would be paying for those tax breaks. Wait a minute, did the dimz or pubz pass a child care credit? I can't tell them apart anymore. :mad:

sitzpinkler
11/15/2006, 02:26 PM
I'm with Tuba on this one. Their justification is ludicrous. I don't understand what they're expecting to accomplish with this.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 02:26 PM
Well, mister smaty pants, is it the Dems or Repubs that eat babies?

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 02:29 PM
Well, mister smaty pants, is it the Dems or Repubs that eat babies?

That's something everybody can agree on. Babies is tasty.

sooneron
11/15/2006, 02:31 PM
I think it's a bad thing. Closing down something that benefits kids to push an agenda (no matter what it is) = bad. I am not sure if we had JROTC at NHS. Hell, JROTC should probably be mandatory for kids at least for one semester/summer in HS. Kids that have to work to help out the fam can get a bye, but honor seems to be a shrinking issue today.

OhU1
11/15/2006, 02:33 PM

Yeah isn't it a cherished mantra of the left "It takes a village to raise a child"? (not a family)

Ike
11/15/2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah isn't it a cherished mantra of the left "It takes a village to raise a child"? (not a family)

maybe for some lefties. not this one. Some of us villagers are busy.

crawfish
11/15/2006, 03:12 PM
maybe for some lefties. not this one. Some of us villagers are busy.

You need to look to the good of the collective, comrade.

;)

49r
11/15/2006, 04:35 PM
Maybe it was a cost-saving measure? I'm sure programs like that aren't all that popular anywhere in the US and they tend to be pretty costly to maintain. I know that most (maybe lots is better word choice) universities discontinued their ROTC programs 20 or so years ago.

Jerk
11/15/2006, 04:50 PM
San Fransicko: "Help! Help! We're under attack! The Chinese are invading us!"

US Military: "Gee, sounds like a tough problem you guys got there. Good luck with that"

BeetDigger
11/15/2006, 05:04 PM
I hope that the brilliant folks in San Fran do know that it was one of their own who supported and signed the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. I think he came up with the idea when he was down partying with Babs in Hollywood.

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 05:19 PM
On the other hand, couples who have kids are worthy of tax breaks even if they make more than people who would be paying for those tax breaks. Wait a minute, did the dimz or pubz pass a child care credit? I can't tell them apart anymore. :mad:

If that makes you mad, look up the earned income tax credit.

Perhaps the most ingenuis tax "cut" of them all.

Thanks Bubba!

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe it was a cost-saving measure? I'm sure programs like that aren't all that popular anywhere in the US and they tend to be pretty costly to maintain.

No, its all ideological down here.

Besides, whens the last time a liberal has wanted to cut funding from a school or program??

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 05:24 PM
I'm curious as to why it took them 13 years to do this. Hasn't it been policy since early in the Clinton administration?

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 05:32 PM
Seems JROTC isn't the only thing the libz whanna cut...

“That’s the only way we’re going to end this war.”

Nov 15, 2006

Congressman Kucinich called Wednesday for cutting off funding of the Iraq war, as the surest way out of Iraq. His statements were made in an interview by Democracy Now!’s Amy Goodman.

“I want to say that there’s one solution here, and it’s not to engage in a debate with the President, who has taken us down a path of disaster in Iraq, but it’s for Congress to assume the full power that it has under the Constitution to cut off funds. We don’t need to keep indulging in this debate about what to do, because as long as we keep temporizing, the situation gets worse in Iraq.

“We have to determine that the time has come to cut off funds. There’s enough money in the pipeline to achieve the orderly withdrawal that Senator McGovern is talking about. But cut off funds, we must. That’s the ultimate power of the Congress, the power of the purse. That’s how we’ll end this war, and that’s the only way we’re going to end this war.”

http://kucinich.us

ouflak
11/15/2006, 05:53 PM
I wouldn't count on the DOD stepping in on this one. The fact is that these programs have been among the first victims of military budget curtailing. It's too bad for these kids who really enjoyed it and the ones who wanted to go on to enlist in the military. JROTC is some nice preparation, you get an extra enlisted rank for every year you are in after your first year (max 3). Can be a nice boost. I was in it for two years and those were some of my best experiences in Highschool. That was back in the 80's and the budget cuts were already starting to take their toll. I think these programs are history and while some might publicly decry the loss, it is effectively a small buget cut.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 06:00 PM
does the DoD fund those programs or do the local school districts? The little checking I did today seems to show that retired military personnel are the teachers/instructors.

Okla-homey
11/15/2006, 07:51 PM
does the DoD fund those programs or do the local school districts? The little checking I did today seems to show that retired military personnel are the teachers/instructors.

Here's how it works. Retired military are the teachers. School districts pay their salary just like any other teacher. The DoD picks up the tab for all the books, materials, uniforms, etc.

In short, the district gets an entire program in which lots of kids thrive, for the piddly cost of paying the teacher.

Win-win for the retirees, win-win for the kids. They get great training and exposure to leadership education, and get a leg-up if they decide subsequently to enlist.

Scott D
11/15/2006, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't count on the DOD stepping in on this one. The fact is that these programs have been among the first victims of military budget curtailing. It's too bad for these kids who really enjoyed it and the ones who wanted to go on to enlist in the military. JROTC is some nice preparation, you get an extra enlisted rank for every year you are in after your first year (max 3). Can be a nice boost. I was in it for two years and those were some of my best experiences in Highschool. That was back in the 80's and the budget cuts were already starting to take their toll. I think these programs are history and while some might publicly decry the loss, it is effectively a small buget cut.

it's an effective bump of 2 ranks upon signing up, 3 years required for army, air force, and navy. 4 years for the marine corps. Usually kids coming out of the experience of being in JROTC for 3-4 years, at least back when I graduated high school was for the recruiters to heavily push the idea of the enlisting and within 6 months testing into and moving on to ocs.

Banning them is just flat out stupid. I wouldn't trade the four years I had in NJROTC for most any experience in school.

Tuba, if that's what the ones in your area did, they were not very good btw.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 07:57 PM
cool. That seems to be a helluva deal for school districts. Unless the schoolboard members are as enlightened as the SF schoolboard is.

Scott D
11/15/2006, 08:00 PM
Homey, half the time the officer in charge of the group at some schools is still active duty, it's just more or less a last stop wind down on their final tours for some of them.

I could never do justice to what Master Chief Stoll imparted on me during that time.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 08:02 PM
on the pay dealio, it's huge. I could dig up a pay scale but I'm lazy. When I enlisted in the Army it was this way and I suspect that it still is, there are two pay grades for E-1s. E-1 < 4 months time in service and E1 > 4 months time in service. Obviously E-2s and E-3s don't get paid as a trainee while at BCT and AIT.

Scott D
11/15/2006, 08:11 PM
*shrug* I never thought about it from a pay aspect. I admit that I initially signed up for it as an excuse to not go to the high school my district assigned to me. I did find it amusing that I essentially had to interview to get approved for it. But, it also saddens me that as time has passed since when I was there how enrollment for JROTC at my alma mater has declined, and they had talked at one point with doing away with the program. Which is surprizing considering how much my high school depends on the children of active duty personnel.

Okla-homey
11/15/2006, 08:11 PM
Homey, half the time the officer in charge of the group at some schools is still active duty, it's just more or less a last stop wind down on their final tours for some of them.

I could never do justice to what Master Chief Stoll imparted on me during that time.

I beg to disagree. No JUNIOR ROTC instructor is active-duty. I think you're confusing JROTC (high school) with ROTC (college).

Scott D
11/15/2006, 08:12 PM
I beg to disagree. No JUNIOR ROTC instructor is active-duty. I think you're confusing JROTC (high school) with ROTC (college).

no, I'm pretty sure that at least initially Cmdr. Euliss was still active duty when he took over for Capt. O'Connor.

Okla-homey
11/15/2006, 08:16 PM
no, I'm pretty sure that at least initially Cmdr. Euliss was still active duty when he took over for Capt. O'Connor.

I bet ya he was on terminal leave then.

SoonerStormchaser
11/15/2006, 08:42 PM
My Dad's the AF JROTC instructor in Lockhart, TX. Man, he'd go ape$hit if they did that to his program!

Vaevictis
11/15/2006, 09:20 PM
Someone ought to point those kids to Valley Forge.

sooneron
11/15/2006, 11:16 PM
Or Bunker Hill Academy!!

http://www.chelzplace.co.uk/images/TAPS05.jpg

BeetDigger
11/15/2006, 11:38 PM
Someone ought to me toward the institution.

:pop:

Scott D
11/16/2006, 12:28 AM
I bet ya he was on terminal leave then.

I think they only let him do it because he was a real short timer. Then again, I remember he wasn't well liked when he took over, which is probably why he lasted for all of one school year.