PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation

royalfan5
11/15/2006, 11:13 AM
I was just curious as to people's feelings on being an organ donor. I am all in favor of myself being parted out after I bite it. I am just curious if that is a majority view or not.

SoonerBorn68
11/15/2006, 11:25 AM
I've been a future organ donor since I got my DL at 16. I figure if I croak I could benefit somebody. I feel sorry for who gets my eyes though. I'm practically blind without my glasses.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 11:30 AM
I doubt anybody would want my liver but Howzit keeps asking for one specific part.

think, Robert Dent.

colleyvillesooner
11/15/2006, 11:47 AM
I've been a future organ donor since I got my DL at 16. I figure if I croak I could benefit somebody. I feel sorry for who gets my eyes though. I'm practically blind without my glasses.

They'll give them your glasses too. Duh.

ousoonerfan
11/15/2006, 11:49 AM
I've already donated a kidney to a good friend. Best decision I've ever made. She has not had any problems in three years.

Widescreen
11/15/2006, 12:25 PM
I've already donated a kidney to a good friend. Best decision I've ever made. She has not had any problems in three years.
Good on ya. I hope you didn't donate any stones along with it.

Boomer.....
11/15/2006, 12:51 PM
I have always been in favor of donating organs. I don't know why you wouldn't. Either way, you will look all the same in the casket.

CrimsonandCreamForever
11/15/2006, 12:56 PM
I always wondered, do they replace your eyes with marbles or something? It seems to me like there'd be a noticeable difference without anything under your eyelids. :confused:

whatsername
11/15/2006, 01:22 PM
I want to be cremated anyway, so they may as well take what they want first.

ousoonerfan
11/15/2006, 01:22 PM
Good on ya. I hope you didn't donate any stones along with it.

Get this, she got the one without stones!:eek: Mine has a very tiny stone in it and the docs told me it is so small that it may never give me problems. [fingers crossed]

BeetDigger
11/15/2006, 02:31 PM
It's the right thing to do. I've checked: YES.

Also, I can't believe that no one has come back with the obvious reply to this topic.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 02:33 PM
I'm part of the "no" crowd.

I'm also part of the "cremation" crowd. The whole embalming/casket rigamarole is quite disgusting and barbaric.

Cremate me, all of me and spread my ashes on Owen Field.

ousoonerfan
11/15/2006, 02:57 PM
I'm part of the "no" crowd.

I'm also part of the "cremation" crowd. The whole embalming/casket rigamarole is quite disgusting and barbaric.

Cremate me, all of me and spread my ashes on Owen Field.

Hypothetical question for ya....

If that cute kid in your avatar developed some weird rare disease that caused his kidney's to shut down and he had to go on dialysis every other day and not be able to do simple things that most of us take for granted and you being his father were the only person in the world who could give him a kidney to help him become a fully functioning person, would you still say no?

I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't understand the flat "no" response.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 03:21 PM
Hypothetical question for ya....

If that cute kid in your avatar developed some weird rare disease that caused his kidney's to shut down and he had to go on dialysis every other day and not be able to do simple things that most of us take for granted and you being his father were the only person in the world who could give him a kidney to help him become a fully functioning person, would you still say no?

I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't understand the flat "no" response.

Don't be a dumbass, of course I would.

What I'm not inclined to do is allow a hospital to have my body after I'm dead iff'n no one directly connected to me needs anything I got.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2006, 03:26 PM
I'm a no. I'm not real king on being gutted like a fish when I die.

That being said, my sister having her life saved by a kidney transplant probably did a lot to loosen my stance quite a bit. I think if my family members decided to donate my organs anyway then I probably wouldn't be too ****ed about it.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2006, 03:28 PM
Also,
If the hospital sees there is little chance for you to continue living and you're an organ donor then I'm convinced their treatment won't be all it could be in order to harvest your organs.

ousoonerfan
11/15/2006, 03:38 PM
Don't be a dumbass, of course I would.

What I'm not inclined to do is allow a hospital to have my body after I'm dead iff'n no one directly connected to me needs anything I got.

Not trying to be a dumbass, just looking for clarification. Here's the dealio...
My friend was a childhood diabetic. She took very good care of herself all of her life, daily insulin shots, monitering blood sugar, basically doing everything she was supposed to do. About five years ago, she started having vision trouble. She went completely blind for a while, had a couple of surgeries and now has decent vision again, she can drive and read, but still has some problems. While all this was going on, she got real sick. Eventually she was diagnosed with kidney failure. She and her husband made a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and was told by the doctors there that she needed a transplant ASAP. The normal time to wait for a cadaver donor was around six months. They told her she would not be healthy enough in six months to go through transplant surgery successfully. They came home and told my wife the situation, and we instantly knew we needed to help. I offered my kidney and they thanked us but told us the chances that I was a match were literally a million to one. Her husband and brother were both tested, no match. I was tested and it came back a match. Million to one my ***, God intervened. Anyway, I do have a related point. We went through the transplant surgery November 6, 2003. No complications, no more dialysis for her. She was put on the pancreas transplant list once the doctors decided she could handle another transplant. Within four months of the kidney transplant, she received a pancreas from a young man who had a motorcycle accident and died. She now does not have diabetes thanks to his pancreas. Because of the sacrifices of others, my friend who had two adopted children before all of this and now has four adopted children is leading a relatively normal life.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but everyone needs help from time to time.

ousoonerfan
11/15/2006, 03:39 PM
Also,
If the hospital sees there is little chance for you to continue living and you're an organ donor then I'm convinced their treatment won't be all it could be in order to harvest your organs.

Seriously?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2006, 03:42 PM
Yes. I'm also a blood donor and I would donate bone marrow if someone needed mine.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2006, 03:42 PM
Seriously?

I tend to think so, but I'm paranoid.

ousoonerfan
11/15/2006, 03:43 PM
I tend to think so, but I'm paranoid.

I'd be paranoid too if I had gone through some of the stuff you've talked about on this board!!!1!:D

soonernation
11/15/2006, 03:51 PM
I just don't get the no responses. Of course I'm kind of biased because my father had a heart transplant a year ago Labor Day. Give me one good reason you would not want to be an organ donor. Don't give me the "I don't want to be cut up" excuse either. Organ donors save peoples life. If the guy that my father received his heart from and others like him did not donate then my father would be dead right now. I never even thought of the subject until they put him on the transplant list. People from infants to grandparents get transplants all the time. If I can help one family the way our family was helped then they can cut me up into little parts and pieces.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 03:53 PM
Yours is a noble story, but not the same as having your body chop-shopped post-mortem. While I applaud your efforts and most likely would have done the same thing had I been in your situation, I still ain't checkin' the organ donor box on my DL.

soonernation
11/15/2006, 04:05 PM
I still ain't checkin' the organ donor box on my DL.

Give me one good reason why you shouldn’t? I can give you many good reasons to do it.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 04:10 PM
Alistair Cooke says it's not a good idea?

BeetDigger
11/15/2006, 04:57 PM
Also, I can't believe that no one has come back with the obvious reply to this topic.

Wow, no one has stated that they like to donate their organ on a casual basis (or something to that effect). You people, especially the single folks, really disappointed me in this thead. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/15/2006, 05:00 PM
I figure if I'm dead, what do I care.

Jimminy Crimson
11/15/2006, 05:08 PM
I'm a yes.

The only thing that would weird me out would be the eyes. I'd rather keep them.

Oh, and if I decide to be cryogenically frozen, I won't donate anything ;)

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 07:01 PM
I don't really think they can transplant eyes - the whole optic nerve thing - I don't think that will re-attach once you cut it. Of course, I'm no doctor.

And I've never bothered to check the yes box on my DL, but I have no objections to being a donor. Hell, if I'm dead what do I care what gets done to my body? Take what you need, cremate what's left, and dump me in someone's garden as fertilizer.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2006, 07:07 PM
I don't really think they can transplant eyes - the whole optic nerve thing - I don't think that will re-attach once you cut it. Of course, I'm no doctor.

And I've never bothered to check the yes box on my DL, but I have no objections to being a donor. Hell, if I'm dead what do I care what gets done to my body? Take what you need, cremate what's left, and dump me in someone's garden as fertilizer.

You can and they often do transplant the retina, but I don't think you can transplant the entire eyeball except for cosmetic purposes I guess.

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 07:13 PM
I've got an organ I'm willing to share with the ladies. :texan:

Dedicated to BeetDigger

soonerboomer93
11/15/2006, 07:19 PM
I'm a no. I'll need the parts when I return from the dead to rule the world

Ike
11/15/2006, 10:07 PM
I'm a no. I'll need the parts when I return from the dead to rule the world

zombies don't need their organs.

olevetonahill
11/15/2006, 11:02 PM
I voted yes
Course If they can find anything usable they are welcome to it . I plan on ALL of Me being used up :D

sanantoniosooner
11/15/2006, 11:06 PM
hey JM........do you care what happens to a house you used to live in?

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2006, 11:07 PM

I do.

sanantoniosooner
11/15/2006, 11:09 PM
I do.
So you go make sure people are taking good care of every place you ever lived?

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 11:13 PM

Nope.

But I fear if my body isn't kept in tact my soul might struggle to find it's way to its next host.

olevetonahill
11/15/2006, 11:17 PM
Nope.

But I fear if my body isn't kept in tact my soul might struggle to find it's way to its next host.
The werms dont care if they miss out on a few parts

sanantoniosooner
11/15/2006, 11:17 PM
kept intact, like cremation?

mdklatt
11/15/2006, 11:18 PM
I plan on ALL of Me being used up :D

After meeting you at a tailgate I can say you're well on your way. ;)

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 11:19 PM
Actually, on second thought, a Viking funeral might be pretty sweet.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 11:20 PM
kept intact, like cremation?

Yeah.

Point?

sanantoniosooner
11/15/2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah.

Point?
You got me.

I can't tell that you've got one.

olevetonahill
11/15/2006, 11:24 PM
After meeting you at a tailgate I can say you're well on your way. ;)
I do give it My best shot :cool:

olevetonahill
11/15/2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah.

Point?
Its your decision, do what you want , But if your gonna be cremated and scatered , hows that staying "intact" ?
Just curious

GottaHavePride
11/15/2006, 11:39 PM
I was going to post a copycat "organ donation" thread and talk about the new pipe organ that OU was given for free (well, not free - we had to pay transportation, which was about $300,000 from what I understand, but the organ's worth about $4 million, so that's not a bad deal...) but I couldn't find a link.

olevetonahill
11/15/2006, 11:50 PM
I was going to post a copycat "organ donation" thread and talk about the new pipe organ that OU was given for free (well, not free - we had to pay transportation, which was about $300,000 from what I understand, but the organ's worth about $4 million, so that's not a bad deal...) but I couldn't find a link.
Sounds like that "organ" is bigger than mine by a tad :eek:

StoopTroup
11/16/2006, 12:34 AM
I'm a donor but I'm taking my stem cells with me... ;)