PDA

View Full Version : Hey 68

1stTimeCaller
11/14/2006, 11:05 PM
is it windy on location?

SoonerBorn68
11/14/2006, 11:11 PM
Heh. We just got back from the rig floor. It's windy (50+ mph) AND rainy.

The trailer's rockin' back and forth...fun, fun, fun!

SoonerBorn68
11/14/2006, 11:12 PM
Our satellite doesn't work so I'm working off an air card. Sometimes it works.

Rhino
11/14/2006, 11:37 PM
If the trailer is a'rockin'...

Rhino
11/14/2006, 11:38 PM
Still R'

slickdawg
11/14/2006, 11:39 PM
Hey 68, what is that big clamp looking thing they use on a drilling rig?
When they show pictures of guys working on a right, they have multiples of these things going on the shaft. What they iz?

1stTimeCaller
11/14/2006, 11:54 PM
you talking about tongs?

http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/files/OGL99066.jpg
Tongs. The two bright orange sets of tongs function as opposing wrenches to tighten or loosen joints.

Large-capacity, self-locking wrenches used to grip drillstring components and apply torque. As with opposing pipe wrenches for a plumber, the tongs must be used in opposing pairs. As a matter of efficiency, one set of tongs is essentially tied off with a cable or chain to the derrick, and the other is actively pulled with mechanical catheads. The breakout tongs are the active tongs during breakout (or loosening) operations. The makeup tongs are active during makeup (or tightening) operations.

SoonerBorn68
11/14/2006, 11:59 PM
1TC learnin'. ;)

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 12:01 AM
lemme have the easy questions so folks will think I'm smrt.

;)

soonerboomer93
11/15/2006, 12:15 AM
What's the NDE requirements for AZ material on the TLP my company is currently constructing?

is that easy enough :D

slickdawg
11/15/2006, 12:24 AM
you talking about tongs?

http://www.glossary.oilfield.slb.com/files/OGL99066.jpg
Tongs. The two bright orange sets of tongs function as opposing wrenches to tighten or loosen joints.

Large-capacity, self-locking wrenches used to grip drillstring components and apply torque. As with opposing pipe wrenches for a plumber, the tongs must be used in opposing pairs. As a matter of efficiency, one set of tongs is essentially tied off with a cable or chain to the derrick, and the other is actively pulled with mechanical catheads. The breakout tongs are the active tongs during breakout (or loosening) operations. The makeup tongs are active during makeup (or tightening) operations.

Zactly! Thanks, I R EDJUMIKATED NOW!

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 12:30 AM
What's the NDE requirements for AZ material on the TLP my company is currently constructing?

is that easy enough :D

depends on what you mean by AZ for the TLP to determine how thick NDE says the material has to be.

was that anywhere close? same ballpark? sport?

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 12:31 AM
Zactly! Thanks, I R EDJUMIKATED NOW!
I was on the payroll 4 weeks before I knew what they were....

slickdawg
11/15/2006, 12:36 AM
They look like an accident waiting to happen.

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 12:40 AM
I figure that the entire rig is an accident waiting to happen and when I have to be on the rig floor I step into the doghouse when they start using the tongs. I haven't been on the floor enough to know the safe and not so safe places to stand.

slickdawg
11/15/2006, 12:45 AM
I figure that the entire rig is an accident waiting to happen and when I have to be on the rig floor I step into the doghouse when they start using the tongs. I haven't been on the floor enough to know the safe and not so safe places to stand.

That sounds like a good idea.

soonerboomer93
11/15/2006, 01:14 AM
depends on what you mean by AZ for the TLP to determine how thick NDE says the material has to be.

was that anywhere close? same ballpark? sport?

You're not even on the same planet :D

Of course this is more along the lines of your previous career

SoonerBorn68
11/15/2006, 10:05 AM
Update:

The wind-o-meter up on the rig took readings in excess of 75 mph winds last night. They even suspended operations for a while, but the winds still haven't calmed. I'm guessing I've got a tad bit of motion sickness from the trailer rocking back and forth--kind of like the ocean. Anyway, it feels like really bad turbulance. I'm justwaiting for one of the big gusts to pick up the trailer & send me flying back towards Norman. :D

IB4OU2
11/15/2006, 10:10 AM
Update:

The wind-o-meter up on the rig took readings in excess of 75 mph winds last night. They even suspended operations for a while, but the winds still haven't calmed. I'm guessing I've got a tad bit of motion sickness from the trailer rocking back and forth--kind of like the ocean. Anyway, it feels like really bad turbulance. I'm justwaiting for one of the big gusts to pick up the trailer & send me flying back towards Norman. :D

Auntie Em! Auntie Em!

http://www.aunt-em.com/kansas/noplacelikeit/house_ks.jpg

SoonerBorn68
11/15/2006, 10:13 AM
[clicking heels]There's no place like home. There's NO PLACE like home. [/ch]

:D

soonernation
11/15/2006, 10:50 AM
Update:

Does it look like this yet?

http://users.apex2000.net/ajbergstrom/Sandstorm.jpg

If not then quit your bitchin!!!!

;)

1stTimeCaller
11/15/2006, 10:55 AM
they don't have trees that tall out there