PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chalk.....River Hawk?

Mjcpr
11/14/2006, 05:52 PM
TAHLEQUAH -- By popular vote, Northeastern State University changed its mascot from Redmen to RiverHawks on Tuesday after the NCAA began requiring colleges with "hostile or abusive" nicknames to change in August 2005.

An Ohio graphic design firm is designing the mascot, which NSU plans to unveil before graduation next spring. NSU took mascot suggestions from its constituents and the public this fall.

A 40-member task force of alumni, faculty, staff, student, supporters and Cherokee Nation and United Keetoowah Band representatives narrowed the 300 ideas to six finalists.

Students in Tahlequah said Tuesday they expected Wolves to win; many said they were disappointed about the new name, but others supported the change.

RiverHawks is a fictional name that recognizes the importance of the Illinois River to NSU and Tahlequah, and includes a bird included in the state song, said NSU President Larry Williams.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/BreakingNewsStory.asp?ID=061114_Br_ansubrk

IronSooner
11/14/2006, 06:07 PM
Wolves would probably have been more fearsome, but at least Riverhawks is original.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 06:07 PM
That rates about a 9.3 on the ghey-o-meter.

slickdawg
11/14/2006, 06:08 PM
Call 'em the chicken****s. **** the NCAA

ultimatesooner1
11/14/2006, 07:02 PM
the ncaa was going to fine them if they didn't change the name

I wish GDC could chime in on this

Mjcpr
11/14/2006, 07:26 PM
I too am a proud Fighting River Hawk and I say.....meh, okay by me.

Widescreen
11/14/2006, 07:38 PM
The NCAA can suck it.

On a related note: I think I've mentioned this before but when I was at TU in the late 80's, there was a vote of the students to change the mascot from Golden Hurricane. The vote was actually endorsed by the school's administration. A bunch of us wrote in "Squids" and it actually won. The administration said not enough people took part in the vote so it was disallowed. Bastages.

LoyalFan
11/14/2006, 11:32 PM
The NCAA can kiss my flabby a55! If the AIM wants to pervert the schools that chose to honor their losing asses by their wimp-a55 gripes, then I say...
"Troop, draw sabers...Bugler, sound the charge!"
While you're at it, mon beau sabreurs, slash those milktoast school presidents and leftwing students as well.
We won. They lost. Right or wrong, we get to name the teams.

LF
Drive the saber to the hilt!

slickdawg
11/14/2006, 11:36 PM
I wonder when they will come down on South Carolina for their
bred for fighting chickens?

hurricane'bone
11/14/2006, 11:36 PM
wow.

LoyalFan
11/14/2006, 11:50 PM
I wonder when they will come down on South Carolina for their
bred for fighting chickens?

Eet mor Chikkin!

LF

soonerboomer93
11/15/2006, 12:36 AM
They should have followed UND's lead

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/805547.html

bri
11/15/2006, 12:45 AM
Wow, so not only do they have an incredibly LAME name, but they up the tool factor by making it one word? RiverHawks? Makes 'em sound like a crappy minor league baseball team.

On a personal note, I want credit for getting it half right with my flippant suggestion of "River Rats". :D

Boarder
11/15/2006, 01:07 AM
Could have been worse. Could have been RiverHawx.

OCUDad
11/15/2006, 01:30 AM
Only in California...

The University of California at Santa Cruz long ago changed its mascot to the Banana Slugs.

The University of California at Irvine changed its mascot to the Anteaters.

And now students at the University of California at Merced are petitioning to change the mascot from the Golden Bobcats to the Fairy Shrimp.

You heard me... the Fairy Shrimp. Some endangered species found near the campus. I'm trying to envision the insignia on the football helmets.

Boggles the mind.

Octavian
11/15/2006, 01:52 AM
As a fifth-generation River Hawk, I'm deeply offended.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/15/2006, 02:16 AM
Could have been worse. Could have been RiverHawx.

RiverHawx.com was already taken. They had to go the route of flickr... They're officially the RivrHawx now.

OUWxGuesser
11/15/2006, 02:17 AM
Heh... I'm at UND now. There is now debate about whether NCAA fixed our Div II football playoff ranking so we wouldn't get a bye...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=16902&section=homepage

What cracks me up is the advocates that say the logo is abusive and hostile. From an outsiders' perspective, it seems like all the hate is over the issue itself. Not whether the logo is actually offending anyone.

Ike
11/15/2006, 03:22 AM
Only in California...

The University of California at Santa Cruz long ago changed its mascot to the Banana Slugs.

The University of California at Irvine changed its mascot to the Anteaters.

And now students at the University of California at Merced are petitioning to change the mascot from the Golden Bobcats to the Fairy Shrimp.

You heard me... the Fairy Shrimp. Some endangered species found near the campus. I'm trying to envision the insignia on the football helmets.

Boggles the mind.

I'll bet those name changes do wonders for recruiting.

SicEmBaylor
11/15/2006, 03:27 AM
When Baylor chose its mascot around the turn of the century the "bears" just barely beat out "book worms" by a slim margin in a vote by the student body.

LoyalFan
11/15/2006, 08:12 AM
When Baylor chose its mascot around the turn of the century the "bears" just barely beat out "book worms" by a slim margin in a vote by the student body.

Just plain old "Worms" would seem appropriate.

LF

SoonerJack
11/15/2006, 09:32 AM
They should have followed UND's lead

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/805547.html

True Dat!

frankensooner
11/15/2006, 10:30 AM
Makes my decision to transfer from NSU to OU after my frosh year even better! ;)

picasso
11/15/2006, 10:42 AM
The NCAA can kiss my flabby a55! If the AIM wants to pervert the schools that chose to honor their losing asses by their wimp-a55 gripes, then I say...
"Troop, draw sabers...Bugler, sound the charge!"
While you're at it, mon beau sabreurs, slash those milktoast school presidents and leftwing students as well.
We won. They lost. Right or wrong, we get to name the teams.

LF
Drive the saber to the hilt!
huh? do you know any history or did you just get that from some cheesey western you've seen?

I was at NSU in the late 80's when they treid to change the name and the Indian Student Union fought to actually keep it! times have a changed.

OklahomaTuba
11/15/2006, 12:05 PM
Why they didn't just go with Green Men, I have no idear.

royalfan5
11/15/2006, 12:07 PM
I would have thought Baby Seals would have been more appropriate, at least for the football team anyway.

IB4OU2
11/15/2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.johnstownriverhawks.com/templates/rhawks/images/1-1.jpg

OCUDad
11/15/2006, 12:49 PM
I'll bet those name changes do wonders for recruiting.Well, the Fairy Shrimp men's synchronized swimming team would be quite competitive. :rolleyes:

Ike
11/15/2006, 12:54 PM
Well, the Fairy Shrimp men's synchronized swimming team would be quite competitive. :rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxCEkhGbfM

LoyalFan
11/15/2006, 09:42 PM
huh? do you know any history or did you just get that from some cheesey western you've seen?

I was at NSU in the late 80's when they treid to change the name and the Indian Student Union fought to actually keep it! times have a changed.

I stand corrected re NSU, but I believe NSU to be a rare exception.
Thanks for the info.

LF

picasso
11/15/2006, 10:11 PM
I stand corrected re NSU, but I believe NSU to be a rare exception.
Thanks for the info.

LF
actually my comment was regarding your very unfunny remark about getting out the sabres and cavalry, etc..
it's true the Natives were defeated but it took a shady bribe by one of his own to get Crazy Horse to come in. Cavalry did not run roughshod over all of the plains folks.

picasso
11/16/2006, 10:48 AM
you do realize there were more contributing factors to the demise and negotiated assimilation of native peoples here right?

Aside from bribery and shady treaties with our government there was also misuse of appropriations, etc. blah blah. of course it was going to happen but it's not a proud history. even for whitey from Nebraska (who I'm betting as settlers requested mucho protection by the Army).

NormanPride
11/16/2006, 10:58 AM
I need to post this image more:

http://www.nyu.edu/classes/siva/archives/fightw.jpg

picasso
11/16/2006, 11:06 AM
I need to post this image more:

http://www.nyu.edu/classes/siva/archives/fightw.jpg
"one outta 5 can run and jump."

Tear Down This Wall
11/16/2006, 11:39 AM
Dudes,
I have three t-shirts I cherish - a gray NSU Redmen shirt, and two SOSU Savages shirts, one wihte and one gray. I barely wear them anymore because I don't want them to wear out and be unable to replace them.

picasso
11/16/2006, 11:45 AM
Dudes,
I have three t-shirts I cherish - a gray NSU Redmen shirt, and two SOSU Savages shirts, one wihte and one gray. I barely wear them anymore because I don't want them to wear out and be unable to replace them.
it's funny, one of my best friend's played football at SOSU, he's a 6'5" 270 pound Osage. he wrote a letter to the NCAA about how peeved he was concerning their new mascot rules.

Tear Down This Wall
11/16/2006, 11:51 AM
The NCAA can jump up my butt. Those were original nicknames. Seems like every former Indian-themed team is now some sort of Hawk. What a frakin' give-up.