PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Play by Play

pb4ou
11/14/2006, 02:32 PM
One of these years, hopefully sooner than probable, BB Sr will hang it up.

Who would you like to see as OU's play by play and color for Sooner games?

As much I would love to see John Brooks back, I doubt he will ever call OU games anymore.

Discuss...

Widescreen
11/14/2006, 02:45 PM
Eddie Deezen. No contest.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/14/2006, 03:03 PM
This guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7l0wT8)

bonkuba
11/14/2006, 03:05 PM
I know you guys will probably chastise me over this but.....I actually like to listen to Bob (overall).

Believe me, I completely understand that he gets things wrong from time to time and stammers a bit.....but....you can just feel his excitement from the game and how much he loves the sooners.

I agree that there are a lot younger and maybe better play by play guys out there, but Bob really truly seems to love what he does.

Not trying to argue that a change would be good.....just kinda like the guy. But you are correct it may be time for him to start thinking about hanging it up before he goes Bowden.:D

fadada1
11/14/2006, 03:12 PM
I know you guys will probably chastise me over this but.....I actually like to listen to Bob (overall).

Believe me, I completely understand that he gets things wrong from time to time and stammers a bit.....but....you can just feel his excitement from the game and how much he loves the sooners.

I agree that there are a lot younger and maybe better play by play guys out there, but Bob really truly seems to love what he does.

Not trying to argue that a change would be good.....just kinda like the guy. But you are correct it may be time for him to start thinking about hanging it up before he goes Bowden.:D
nobody is doubting his love for the SOONERS. he said he was going to hang it up about 6 years ago... and it was bad then. it's gone beyond humorous listening to him.

nobody is doubting lou holtz' love for college football, but that doesn't mean he should be allowed to speak on tv.

fwsooner22
11/14/2006, 03:19 PM
We already missed out on Chuck Cooperstein who now does Mavericks games.....maybe he would still do it...........HE is simply the best in the business PERIOD............

achiro
11/14/2006, 03:19 PM
OK, I'll do it.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/14/2006, 03:20 PM
We already missed out on Chuck Cooperstein who now does Mavericks games.....maybe he would still do it...........HE is simply the best in the business PERIOD............

I agree

sooneron
11/14/2006, 03:20 PM
Ron Franklin with TR Keith Jackson

OSUAggie
11/14/2006, 03:26 PM
Ron Franklin will have lost it within 5 years.... Although he is great, I think.

Phil
11/14/2006, 03:58 PM
Ron Franklin with TR Keith Jackson

Umm, I'm not too keen on flying a guy in from Austin every week to do our games, thanks.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/14/2006, 03:58 PM
how about phil and dean?

Harry Beanbag
11/14/2006, 04:01 PM
Dean would be a very colorful color commentator. I'd listen.

Taxman71
11/14/2006, 04:36 PM
Does Bob Carpenter do football? He is great on the OU basketball games and the St. Louis Cards.

TUSooner
11/14/2006, 04:57 PM
Dean would be a very colorful color commentator. I'd listen.
[:dean:] Well, Phil, OUr D is playing a helluva F**king game right now. We are ripping the d!cks off those pu$$ies and jamming 'em up their a$$es. That faggy nad-grabbing A&M peter-puffer QB is looking for his mommy's teat about now, 'cuz he really succs [/:dean:]

Or maybe not :D

Which is to say there might be a lot of need for that 4 second delay

guzziguy
11/14/2006, 05:15 PM
nobody is doubting his love for the SOONERS.

I remember his switch to stoolwater years ago.

He'll always be the voice of orange to me. I hate hearing him do OUs games.

william_brasky
11/14/2006, 05:17 PM
Did anyone listen to the TTech game?

A couple of times BBSr confused the football for a basketball. No joke. He then corrected himself laughingly and stated how the two could be confused for one another due to their both being oblong.

Taxman71
11/14/2006, 05:33 PM
It's too bad BBSr isn't a Bud-drinking ex-skirt chaser or we would have our own Harry Carey. Didn't hear too many Cub fans ripping his failed attempt at pronouncing Hideki Arrabu or whoever it was.

But, yes, as one who listened both in the stands and at home while the game was on TV, I haven't had the stomach to listen in several years now. The mistakes don't bother me as much as not knowing what the heck is going on (formations, etc.).

AllAboutThe'O'
11/14/2006, 08:18 PM
Does Bob Carpenter do football? He is great on the OU basketball games and the St. Louis Cards.
Carpenter doesn't do the Cardinal games anymore; he does the Washington Nationals now. He also used to do the Ranger games on KTVT television.
Personally, I think BB Sr. can stay and do the games for as long as he wants; he's earned that right. There are other schools that have employed play-by-play guys that have been at it even longer than BB Sr., such as Jack Cristil of Mississippi State and Larry Munson of Georgia, that are beloved by their fans and, malaprops and old-age mistakes and what have you, they wouldn't dream of having them replaced.

proudsoonergal
11/14/2006, 09:15 PM
Is Mike Tirico an OU fan? I think he is probably my favorite announcer.

Harris County Sooner
11/14/2006, 09:32 PM
I am sorry, but whenever the opponent team has the broadcast here in Houston I listen to them, even that flatulent aTm PBP guy. On Saturday the TT broadcast was pretty good.

AllAboutThe'O'
11/14/2006, 09:43 PM
I am sorry, but whenever the opponent team has the broadcast here in Houston I listen to them, even that flatulent aTm PBP guy. On Saturday the TT broadcast was pretty good.
Yeah, Dave South (A&M) isn't everybody's cup of tea. Best Dave South story was when he was ejected during a Southwest Conference basketball tournament game because he was riding the officials.

fwsooner22
11/14/2006, 10:32 PM

Thats becasue the TT play-by-play guy is an OU grad............no kidding

setem
11/14/2006, 10:36 PM
Even BB sr is better than that loud *** son of a bitch in Stoolwater!

The Cowboys are ready for the kick off....Good night Vienna he kicked it to the 5 yard line! WHAT A BLAST! I have never seen anyone kick the ball off to start the game with such strength!

The guy screams about anything!

We should get one of the Cavemen from the Geico Commersials.

or

Maybe we could draw one of the old Sportcenter guys to do the pbp. Kenny Mayne or Dan Patrick be the best!

None of those will happen so hows about we let Bob do the pbp from the sideline?

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/14/2006, 10:58 PM
Jim Ross..he loves OU and he has a great voice and he is a great story teller.

OUinFLA
11/14/2006, 11:09 PM
[:dean:] Well, Phil, OUr D is playing a helluva F**king game right now. We are ripping the d!cks off those pu$$ies and jamming 'em up their a$$es. That faggy nad-grabbing A&M peter-puffer QB is looking for his mommy's teat about now, 'cuz he really succs [/:dean:]

Or maybe not :D

Which is to say there might be a lot of need for that 4 second delay

Wow, it's just like I'm listening to it.

spek for you TU

Paperclip
11/14/2006, 11:40 PM
Bob Barry Sr. is the play-by-play equivalent of a combover. He's holding on to something that's been gone for a long time and he thinks no one is aware of it.

william_brasky
11/14/2006, 11:43 PM
Has the hot dog been found yet?

Crucifax Autumn
11/15/2006, 12:24 AM
Despite the obvious problems with the "combover" as he's been referred to, I still listen to the radio broadcast OVER the TV any time I'm able. IT's a long tradition my uncle started as a sort of silent protest of the national coverage.

My step dad on the other hand, called ABC every Fall Saturday in the mid 80s and waited on hold for hours just to complain. We had running jokes about Cricki, Trumpy, Griese, and Cephalo that I still giggle about today.

I'd have to say that no matter how bad the radio guys on Sooner broadcasts get, they still generally show 10 times the knowledge of football and 20 times the knowledge of the sooners than the TV guys could ever have.

frankensooner
11/15/2006, 11:05 AM
Remember a few years ago, this same topic was being discussed and Bob Barry Jr. came on to defend his pops. That was some good stuff. Where are you BBJsports?

Xstnlsooner
11/15/2006, 11:17 AM
Bob Barry Sr. is the play-by-play equivalent of a combover.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT!!!

That's the truff!! John Brooks was far and above Bumblin Bob!!

ADs_Agent
11/15/2006, 11:22 AM
how bout Dean Blevins?

Boomer.....
11/15/2006, 11:33 AM
Jim Ross..he loves OU and he has a great voice and he is a great story teller.
I have heard rumor of him either wanting to do it or OU wanting him to do it. I think that he would be pretty good. He definitely knows his stuff.

SoonerBorn68
11/15/2006, 12:05 PM
I think Jim Byars has done a good job with the Redhawks & Blazers.

Joe87OU1
11/15/2006, 12:22 PM
Remember a few years ago, this same topic was being discussed and Bob Barry Jr. came on to defend his pops. That was some good stuff. Where are you BBJsports?

Yeah. What about BBJr doin' it?

:confused:

Paperclip
11/15/2006, 02:53 PM
I think the combover's replacement is currently the sideline reporter. The question is who will replace him on the sideline.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 03:24 PM
I think the combover's replacement is currently the sideline reporter. The question is who will replace him on the sideline.

Who's the sideline reporter? I haven't listened to a radio broadcast in many many years.

OK2LA
11/15/2006, 03:33 PM
I know it's probably not likely, but I'd LOVE to have any ONE of the three here:

1. Brad Nessler - I still really enjoy listening to the replays of the Big XII Championship/O.B. from 2000.

2. Joel Meyers - He does many of the FSN broadcasts, and the Lakers play by play for t.v. - he is really good - very knowledgable as well.

3. Mike Patrick - He's my dark horse - he did the Sunday night game for ESPN, and for some reason was let go - he is a little older, but very good - I like to listen to him. I know some others don't though.

Harry Beanbag
11/15/2006, 03:48 PM
I know it's probably not likely, but I'd LOVE to have any ONE of the three here:

1. Brad Nessler - I still really enjoy listening to the replays of the Big XII Championship/O.B. from 2000.

2. Joel Meyers - He does many of the FSN broadcasts, and the Lakers play by play for t.v. - he is really good - very knowledgable as well.

3. Mike Patrick - He's my dark horse - he did the Sunday night game for ESPN, and for some reason was let go - he is a little older, but very good - I like to listen to him. I know some others don't though.

I'd like to have Al Michaels and John Madden. ;)

OSUAggie
11/15/2006, 04:19 PM
Who's the sideline reporter? I haven't listened to a radio broadcast in many many years.

Mark Rodgers

he's doing the primetime ESPN college game now with TB...

OK2LA
11/15/2006, 04:27 PM
I'd like to have Al Michaels and John Madden. ;)

I thought those guys were untouchable . . . :D

The Maestro
11/15/2006, 04:35 PM
You guys are suggesting people that do national television. Why would they want to do Oklahoma radio? And John Brooks is like BBS...best days behind him. People would expect him to be the Brooks of the 80's and that was 20 years ago. Brooks is getting old, too.

Xstnlsooner
11/15/2006, 04:50 PM
You guys are suggesting people that do national television. Why would they want to do Oklahoma radio? And John Brooks is like BBS...best days behind him. People would expect him to be the Brooks of the 80's and that was 20 years ago. Brooks is getting old, too.

Good point Maestro...

OSUAggie
11/15/2006, 04:51 PM
Which probably leaves it at .....

Paperclip
11/15/2006, 04:53 PM
Rodgers finished a game for BBS a couple of years ago and did a really good job I thought. I think he's a strong candidate to replace him when that happens.

OSUAggie
11/15/2006, 04:56 PM
I like Rodgers... I think he'd be a good play-by-play guy and obviously has an affinity towards OU, but isn't afraid to tell it how he sees it. He's very solid on newscasts and the radio and seems fairly knowledgable... Solid candidate.

The Maestro
11/15/2006, 04:59 PM
I remember when Mark Rogers lock of the week was aTm over OU...

In 1999.

Then came the ninja!

tru2ou
11/15/2006, 05:15 PM
Seriously, the best guy in the Big 12 is Mike Kelly from Missouri. He is a homer like everyone else but its hard to tell. Very easy to listen to and calls a great game.

I thought that was who JC was going after in 2000 when BBSr retired. Let Treps do color if he stills wants a job.

- TRU

Paperclip
11/15/2006, 05:19 PM
Let Treps do color if he stills wants a job.

- TRU

You mean Jack Ogle?

OSUAggie
11/15/2006, 05:28 PM
when teegins died in the plane crash, all the big 12 guys filled in for the remaining basketball games, and Mike Kelly was easily the best... But I guess that's to be expected @ a place like Mizzou

sooner KB
11/15/2006, 06:13 PM
Thats becasue the TT play-by-play guy is an OU grad............no kidding

According to this website Brian Jensen graduated from TT:

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/communications/news/display_article.php?id=1861

stonecoldsoonerfan
11/15/2006, 07:48 PM

brooks best days are far from behind him. he was doing the blazers games until a year or two. sounded the same way he did 20 or 30 years ago.

Jimminy Crimson
11/16/2006, 06:21 AM
Keep Mark & Merv, just replace BBS with JR.

He wants the job.

SoonerJack
11/16/2006, 09:17 AM
Seriously, the best guy in the Big 12 is Mike Kelly from Missouri. He is a homer like everyone else but its hard to tell. Very easy to listen to and calls a great game.

I thought that was who JC was going after in 2000 when BBSr retired. Let Treps do color if he stills wants a job.

- TRU
Eh, I don't think Mike Kelly would give up his tigers gig. The hilarious guy on their team is the old guy...can't think of his name. He is the homeriest homer I've ever heard.

The guy that does KU games is pretty entertaining, but he would never switch from that gig.

Is BBjr still doing tv in Oklahoma City?

The Maestro
11/16/2006, 10:25 AM
brooks best days are far from behind him. he was doing the blazers games until a year or two. sounded the same way he did 20 or 30 years ago.

Somebody listens to Blazers hockey?

German Corner
11/16/2006, 10:49 AM
If there's any chance to get Joel Meyer from FSSW that would be the guy.

The guy is smooth, knowledgeable and has done many Big 12 games in the last several years.

Merve still has plenty of years ahead of him before he starts to lose it like BB.

For the record, no dissrespect to BB but he lost in the late 90's. On his tv broadcast he does fine but play by play requires quick, sharp, crisp and entertaining. BB unfortunately is none of those.

Joel Meyers is probably not just really funny or entertaining but his play by play is so good he would far exceed that.

Does anyone know if there's really a change coming and who it might be?

PS I've seen Top Dog.

frankensooner
11/16/2006, 10:57 AM
You people pushing Junior need help. I would take Deano before Junior and that is saying something.

sooneron
11/16/2006, 11:07 AM
I will lay odds that the replacement will come from the okc tv market- odds going off at 4-3.5.

And anyon wanting wwe crap Jim ross should be negged into Lid's territory.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/16/2006, 11:54 AM
What's wrong with Jim Ross?

Tear Down This Wall
11/16/2006, 11:58 AM
I hate these threads. We've had hundreds of them for about eight years in a row now. About 99% of us agree that Bob and Merv suck. But, since none of us actually work in the athletic department, there's nothing we can do about it.

Just do what I do...listen to the opposing team's broadcast. Yes, it's the other team, but at least you'll know what's happening.

sooneron
11/16/2006, 12:02 PM
Gandalf, I'm sorry if you like wrasslin, but I would like for the image of the school to move to a more positive light - someone that has a command of the English language and doens't make an *** out of himself, would be nice.

Gandalf_The_Grey
11/16/2006, 02:17 PM
Umm Jim Ross has never done anything negative...I have never seen him have any problems with the English language. I have never seen him make an *** out of himself. It has nothing to do with rassling, he has a passion about OU sports and he has grown up around here so he knows about the history of her program, he has a wonderful voice, he is an excellent story teller, I don't see any problems with anything he has done.

sooneron
11/16/2006, 02:22 PM
All I know is someone posted a link to him body slamming some guy wearing an oregon shirt on the SO. I have also heard some of his Sooner loving tirades over there as well.

A good voice doesn't necessarily equate to good pbp.

Let's just chalk this up to a matter of taste.

Jimminy Crimson
11/16/2006, 02:34 PM
JR would be a great pbp guy.

It's not like he'd be doing WWE style pbp for the OU games. That's more of his wrestling persona.