PDA

View Full Version : Darwin at work

slickdawg
11/14/2006, 11:21 AM
http://www.thederrick.com/stories/11132006-1010.shtml

A 42-year-old Worthington man spending the night at a hunting camp with his teenage son and three friends died early Saturday morning following a bizarre accident.

James Schuey Jr. fell 8 feet from a loft bed and impaled his chest on an ornate metal chair, according to Armstrong County coroner Robert Bower who ruled the death accident due to massive loss of blood.

The small one-room camp with no electric or other utilities is located on Spot Road off Adrian-Sherrett Road. The camp is heated with a small wood stove and lit with lanterns, Bower said.

Schuey, his 17-year-old son Travis Schuey, along with Zachary Himes, 17, Matthew Toy, 19 and Nathan Shields, 19, were anticipating a hunting excursion Saturday morning, Bower said.

Official reports said at about 9:30 p.m. Friday, Schuey climbed the make-shift ladder on the camp wall to the small 4- by 8-foot loft above the kitchen while the four boys slept on the camp's wooden beds.

The boys were awakened by a loud thud about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, lit the lanterns and found Schuey lying on the floor complaining of pain and bleeding from his chest.

The boys covered the wound with a cloth to slow the bleeding, thereby improving Schuey's breathing, Bower said.

"With no cell phone coverage, Matthew Toy left the camp and traveled to another location to call 911 for an ambulance," Bower said.

Toy was given instructions via telephone on how to treat Schuey's injury until the arrival of emergency personnel. Rescue personnel were delayed in obtaining access to the injured man when the driveway to the camp was not navigable due to heavy rains. Emergency equipment had to be taken by foot up the dirt driveway, Bower said.

Schuey was taken by ambulance to a medical helicopter, but en route to a Pittsburgh hospital his condition worsened and the helicopter landed at the Kittanning Hospital where he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.

In an official report, Bower commended the boys for recognizing the horrific accident and responding heroically, courageously and responsibly.

IB4OU2
11/14/2006, 11:32 AM
I'm curious as to how this unfortunate accident had anything to do with a Darwin event, falling off a bunk occurs alot....and it sounds like the boys did all they could do, it's pretty sad actually. :(

slickdawg
11/14/2006, 11:35 AM
Going hunting out in the middle of nowhere with no method of communications. Hunting accidents happen, you should be prepared.

Also, I don't know about having "ornate metal furniture" at a hunting camp.

1stTimeCaller
11/14/2006, 11:44 AM
short of having a satellite phone what could they have done?

I just don't see this as a Darwin type event

sanantoniosooner
11/14/2006, 11:46 AM
You guys missed the part where the caveman place the chair there.

C&CDean
11/14/2006, 11:55 AM
This is probably as far from a "Darwin" event as you could be.

If it said "dude got drunk, was doing flips off the loft ala Jackass, impaled himself on a ornate metal chair, refused medical attention and did it again while bleeding profusely from a sucking chest wound" then yes, it would be a candidate. As it is, not even close.

slickdawg
11/14/2006, 12:12 PM
OK, You know you can fall out of a loft, especially asleep.

Why would you have sharp metal pointy objects where you would land if you fell???

sooneron
11/14/2006, 12:26 PM
http://www.biology.duke.edu/mcshealab/McSheaLabPage/Class%20Digging.jpg

Widescreen
11/14/2006, 01:11 PM
I'm guessing this could happen to anyone and it's not like he had a bunch of knives pointed upward on the floor.

Sooneron, is that a Goldendoodle in your avatar? My wife wants one in a great way.

sanantoniosooner
11/14/2006, 01:41 PM
well, I for one immediately moved to pool of piranas away from my bed.

I'm not ending up in a story like that.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 01:56 PM
This thread should be titled: Newton at work.

KABOOKIE
11/14/2006, 02:11 PM
This is probably as far from a "Darwin" event as you could be.

If it said "dude got drunk, was doing flips off the loft ala Jackass, impaled himself on a ornate metal chair, refused medical attention and did it again while bleeding profusely from a sucking chest wound" then yes, it would be a candidate. As it is, not even close.

What about impaling yourself on a railroad spike?

Is that Ron Jeremy at work?

1stTimeCaller
11/14/2006, 02:13 PM
What about impaling yourself on a railroad spike?

Is that Ron Jeremy at work?

I was thinking Richard Simmons at work.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 02:16 PM
Can we go ahead and merge this thread with the Elton John thread?

BeetDigger
11/14/2006, 02:23 PM
I'm guessing this could happen to anyone and it's not like he had a bunch of knives pointed upward on the floor.

Well, a ornate metal chair is sort of like a knife. While not Darwin at work, certainly not boy scout at work either.

Sooneron, is that a Goldendoodle in your avatar? My wife wants one in a great way. :eek: I've heard about that sort of thing. I thought it usually it involves ponies though.

KABOOKIE
11/14/2006, 02:25 PM
Well, a ornate metal chair is sort of like a knife. While not Darwin at work, certainly not boy scout at work either.

:eek: I've heard about that sort of thing. I thought it usually it involves ponies though.

Nah, isn't a Goldendoodle a shower followed by a Hot Charlie?

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 02:33 PM
I thought it was Carl?

Where's 1tc?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/14/2006, 02:34 PM
Going hunting out in the middle of nowhere with no method of communications. Hunting accidents happen, you should be prepared.

Also, I don't know about having "ornate metal furniture" at a hunting camp.

Slickdawg, while agree with you, I don't think this is in the "spirit" of the darwin award. There wasn't any profoundly stupid thing done here. Hunting in the wilds is a calculated risk...

Though, the "ornate metal furniture" does intrigue me a bit...

11/14/2006, 02:37 PM
Man took his young son and three friends out hunting. Sound like he was a good man.

That is really tragic.

And I would assume the chair was an old piece of patio furniture that he decided would be of more use in the hunting shack than in the dump.

1stTimeCaller
11/14/2006, 02:39 PM
:les: HOT CARL!!!!!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
11/14/2006, 02:39 PM
Man took his young son and three friends out hunting. Sound like he was a good man.

That is really tragic.

And I would assume the chair was an old piece of patio furniture that he decided would be of more use in the hunting shack than in the dump.

Agreed.

But why not just call it metal patio furniture rather than an "ornate metal furniture". Yeah, I know, that sounds more intriguing and perhaps sinister...

BoogercountySooner
11/14/2006, 02:40 PM
Thats it I'm only hunting in town now and sleeping on the floor with my cell phone in hand. Thanks Slick for bringing this to us dumb rednecks attention. Next week I'll be walking upright with the rest of ya!:)

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 02:46 PM
:les: HOT CARL!!!!!!!

Yeah that's disgusting.

TUSooner
11/14/2006, 02:48 PM
That's really funny. By which I mean "not the least bit humorous."
:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
11/14/2006, 04:04 PM
I didn't think this was a Darwin Award either...

However there are many folks who are candidates that never get their award....

http://ciir.cs.umass.edu/~metzler/pics/australia/Darwin%20Award%20Nominees.JPG

StoopTroup
11/14/2006, 04:08 PM
Then there is...

Mr. BACK-HOE (http://siri.uvm.edu/ppt/darwin/darwin.htm)

OklahomaRed
11/14/2006, 04:10 PM
This would be more like a "Murphy's Law" thread.

sanantoniosooner
11/14/2006, 04:12 PM
Some days it doesn't pay to fall out of bed.

StoopTroup
11/14/2006, 04:18 PM
No doubt...lol

http://www.markdery.com/archives/images/jump.gif