PDA

View Full Version : A Civilian Public Service Academy

royalfan5
11/14/2006, 11:13 AM
There was an editorial talking about a proposed United States Public Service Academy modeled after the military academies from training future public servants. It would be filled by appointments just like the military academies based on congressional representation, and 5 years of civil service would be required afterwards. The idea would be to create an academically rigorous enviroment to train future civil servants in a national university. The proposal is sponsored by Arlin Spector, Ted, Hillary, and Barbara Mitulski. I don't think this would be a bad idea at all. Plus it would give Notre Dame another pasty to play on their schedule.

yermom
11/14/2006, 11:14 AM
interesting...

NormanPride
11/14/2006, 11:26 AM
So how long until the curriculum is riddled with standardized tests and political slant?

reevie
11/14/2006, 10:16 PM
I don't know if there is anything that can prepare you for federal employment.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2006, 10:18 PM
A university to train the next generation of bureaucrats?
Out.

royalfan5
11/14/2006, 10:22 PM
A university to train the next generation of bureaucrats?
Out.
They have to come from somewhere. I'd rather they be from an elite academy than Baylor.

Rogue
11/14/2006, 10:25 PM
It sounds like a modern version of the CCC. I'm torn. I sorta like the idea, can't help but agree with SicEm, and think maybe it'd be better timing if we had an employment problem or were starving for government employees. I know the military style training ain't for everybody, but it was key in getting my butt on track.

I have my grandpa's old CCC discharge from 1935. Also some of the post cards he sent grandma from France in WWII. Amazing stuff.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2006, 10:25 PM
I'd rather they be from an elite academy than Baylor.

I'm too high maintenance to live off government pay.

I also have a problem with the fact that in order to fund this thing you see money would have to be spent...tax money...I'm a fan of neither collecting taxes nor spending those collected taxes.

royalfan5
11/14/2006, 10:26 PM
It sounds like a modern version of the CCC. I'm torn. I sorta like the idea, can't help but agree with SicEm, and think maybe it'd be better timing if we had an employment problem or were starving for government employees. I know the military style training ain't for everybody but it was key in getting my butt on track.

I have my grandpa's old CCC discharge in 1935. Also some of the post cards he sent grandma from France in WWII. Amazing stuff.
A couple thousand person University isn't the CCC at all. I'd just assume we train people for positions like FEMA chief rather than picking dudes off the street.

royalfan5
11/14/2006, 10:27 PM
I'm too high maintenance to live off government pay.

I also have a problem with the fact that in order to fund this thing you see money would have to be spent...tax money...I'm a fan of neither collecting taxes nor spending those collected taxes.
The government ****es money away on a lot of things. This would be a lot more useful and cheaper than the cash we waste on ethanol subsidies.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2006, 10:29 PM
It sounds like a modern version of the CCC. I'm torn. I sorta like the idea, can't help but agree with SicEm, and think maybe it'd be better timing if we had an employment problem or were starving for government employees. I know the military style training ain't for everybody, but it was key in getting my butt on track.

I have my grandpa's old CCC discharge from 1935. Also some of the post cards he sent grandma from France in WWII. Amazing stuff.

I gurantee you the kids who attend this thing won't be the old CCC types. Grizzled tough and hard working young men who survived through the depression anyway they knew how...

No, these are going to be a bunch of limp wristed pu$$ies from blue blood families that will do nothing but create another layer of elitism among the ruling class. That's what Yale is for. And trust me I know, I consider myself a limp wristed elitist and hold that title with honor.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2006, 10:30 PM
A couple thousand person University isn't the CCC at all. I'd just assume we train people for positions like FEMA chief rather than picking dudes off the street.

You'd still have to assume that the President is going to search out the best talent for appointment level positions which, as we both know, is unlikely. These guys will fill out the ranks of government's middle management.

royalfan5
11/14/2006, 10:31 PM
You'd still have to assume that the President is going to search out the best talent for appointment level positions which, as we both know, is unlikely. These guys will fill out the ranks of government's middle management.
Compentent middle management would go a long way.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2006, 10:32 PM
The government ****es money away on a lot of things. This would be a lot more useful and cheaper than the cash we waste on ethanol subsidies.

True, and I've changed my mind on ethanol subsidies. Now I'm a fan of spending as little as possible. I fantasize about another government shutdown.

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2006, 10:33 PM
Compentent middle management would go a long way.

And herein lies my problem...I'm not the least bit certain that I want the government to become more efficient and better at what it does. 9/10 what they do is bad so why make them better at it?

royalfan5
11/14/2006, 10:34 PM
And herein lies my problem...I'm not the least bit certain that I want the government to become more efficient and better at what it does. 9/10 what they do is bad so why make them better at it?
If we're not going to get rid of it, we at least ought to make it effiecent and try and attract more talent.

Vaevictis
11/14/2006, 10:38 PM
And trust me I know, I consider myself a limp wristed elitist and hold that title with honor.

One generation removed from aggiedom? Poser.

Vaevictis
11/14/2006, 10:58 PM
The main question I have about this proposal is what benefit this would provide above using the existing public university system.

You could easily provide ROTC-style scholarships at regionally selected (or per-state) public schools, which would allow you to leverage those school's experts.

The thing is, the federal government is involved with so many different areas that it would be nearly impossible to create a single university with experts on all of them, or even most of them. The ROTC-style thing just makes more logistical sense to me (at first glance, anyway).

SicEmBaylor
11/14/2006, 11:24 PM
One generation removed from aggiedom? Poser.
I know. :-( But part of life is aspiring toward improving one's self, correct?

Give it three or four more generations and we'll be getting somewhere!

LoyalFan
11/14/2006, 11:56 PM
Without even reading the worthy follow-ups to the original post...
The "Sponsors"of this idea obviously envision an academy for the brainwashed training of mindless "one world" functionaries.
If they have their way we'd best be prepared to live (in fear) in the drab gray world the ragheaded, camel molesting, Muslims desire for all mankind.

LF

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/15/2006, 01:28 AM
The government ****es money away on a lot of things. This would be in addition to the cash we waste on ethanol subsidies.
Ugh! Fixed.