PDA

View Full Version : What Ever Happened To....

Mjcpr
11/14/2006, 09:38 AM
Sickle Cell Anemia?

Was it eradicated? Cured? Is it completely treatable now? We used to hear about it all the time in elementary school I remember, but now you hardly ever hear a peep.

OUDoc
11/14/2006, 09:59 AM
Still there. I had some patients in residency with sickle trait. No current patients with it though.

BeetDigger
11/14/2006, 10:03 AM
No current patients with it though.

Why do you call us patients? Is it because you make us wait 15 to 20 minutes past our scheduled appointment time just to get into a room? :texan:

Soonrboy
11/14/2006, 10:05 AM
My son and I have sickle cell trait...we just have to be careful if he marries someone who has the trait.

crawfish
11/14/2006, 10:07 AM
Worst VH1 episode EVAR.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/14/2006, 10:08 AM
I thought mostly African-American males had that. Is that the case, Doc?

Mjcpr
11/14/2006, 11:16 AM
I thought mostly African-American males had that. Is that the case, Doc?

I'm pretty sure that's the case, yeah.

So, is it a terminal condition or what? For whatever reason, I was thinking about the fact that you don't hear about it as much now as you did 25 years ago.

Fugue
11/14/2006, 11:17 AM

So, is it a terminal condition or what? For whatever reason, I was thinking about the fact that you don't hear about it as much now as you did 25 years ago.

just curious, why the sudden interest? :confused:

:D

NormanPride
11/14/2006, 11:22 AM
It's genetic, so I don't know how it wouldn't be terminal... It's a survival trait for places that have really bad malaria problems, I think.

Beef
11/14/2006, 11:23 AM

George Bush hates black people more than sickle-cell does, so it doesn't get the pub it used to.

OUDoc
11/14/2006, 11:30 AM
Usually African-Americans. Sickle Cell disease provided protection against malaria, so it was beneficial where malaria was common. Most, I believe, only tend to live to early middle age at best. They live longer now than in the past.
Sickle cell trait patients have only one copy of the sickle gene. They don't tend to have as poor of a life expectancy, but can pass the gene on to their kids. Two people with sickle trait have a chance at having a kid with sickle cell disease.

Why do you call us patients? Is it because you make us wait 15 to 20 minutes past our scheduled appointment time just to get into a room?
That's a pretty efficient doctor's office you have. It's an old interrogation technique. It's easier to break you if I make you wait a long time. ;)

SoonerInKCMO
11/14/2006, 11:42 AM
George Bush hates black people more than sickle-cell does, so it doesn't get the pub it used to.

Beefiz on my board,
stealing my jokezz.