PDA

View Full Version : The future....

BASSooner
11/14/2006, 03:23 AM
I am aware that this season is not in the books yet, however, I do want some opinions from every single one of you guys and please PLEASE discuss them as well. This is very interesting. I have been thinking about this for a long time ever since OUr second game this season. OUr team is doing one hell of a job this season. OUr effort from the coaching staff and players has proven dramatically. However, I know deep down in OUr hearts that we would like this team to form into a what we all like to call a "Bob Stoops" team. I mean, you can call me ridiculous, but everytime I see some great defensive plays, along with offensive plays I do get that excitement. However, I also think of the past on how well OUr players performed. For example: If a pass is thrown and is either tipped, or incomplete, there is a fair chance that some of OUr DBs or LBs will sprint just to catch the ball. In the past era, we've had players that would just dive or glide to make the catch for a turnover. All I am really trying to say is that we have more talent now than we did back in 02-03 in multiple areas. I don't know if my expectations are just way too darn high or maybe I just miss the old days of brilliance. I think it may be both. We have potential to be brilliant and amazing just like the old days. I understand that we are young. Will this happen though? OUr 07 recievers for next year are far more talented than the 03 and 00. OUr RB unit (even without AD) will be better than that of 03 and maybe better than that of 00. OUr TE unit will match that of 00 if not MAYBE better (you guys debate). OUr OL won't be near as good as 03, but still more solidified. All we need on offense is a QB, and we are a juggernaut on offense. Defense....I can't say that we match that with marshall/calmus and lehman/jackson but we will still be good as long as BV is the LB coach. How good will OUr DBs be next year even with the loss of darien and jason? We lose DEs that will hurt us a bit, but John Williams is a beast and hopefully another man will be a playmaker on the other side. OUr DL...words can not describe of how much talent will come out of that bunch. Special teams will be better...but how better? Criticize me all you want but I have put a LOT of thought into this and I want to hear what you guys think of this for next year or in the near future.

SoonerFah
11/14/2006, 04:01 AM
I honestly think if we can get some decent play at quarterback we are going to be a handful for anyone we play.

Quarterback is a total mystery at this point. Halsle, Bradford, and whoever we sign will all compete for the starting spot next year.

Now the good news...

Running back is loaded with or without AD. Allen Patrick runs hard, and hits the hole whether it is there or not. Gute, Brown, Madu, and Murray will all have an opportunity to steal carries depending on our situation.

Receivers... We have probably one of the best we've ever had in Malcolm Kelly. Iggy, Johnson, Tennell, Chaney, and others are all pretty good too.

Tight End is a major strength. Joe John, and Gresham are both studs, and figure to tear teams up through the middle all year.

Offensive line! We actually have one! And I disagree... these guys are better than 03 already. Cooper, Duke, Walker, and Williams are all road graders. We also return 90% of our depth, along with Brandon Braxton coming back from injury. This is the best I've felt about this group in the Stoops era.

Defensive End may be a concern to some, but Alonzo Dotson has been playing alot lately and he's been playing well. He and John Williams are both poised to lead a solid, but young group. Auston English and Alan Davis will both have a chance to step in the rotation. I've heard lots of good things about English. He resembles Dan Cody physically, and he used to play running back in high school!

Defensive Tackle should be a solid group as well. Coleman, Granger, Bennett, and then add redshirt freshmen Gerlad McCoy, and Adrian Taylor into the mix. We should be tough in the trenches.

Linebacker is another concern. Curtis Lofton has played well, but we have to replace Rufus, and Zach. Pleasant, Reynolds, Baker, and Robinson have all had some reps, but will need to step up to fill those shoes.

Secondary... Wow! This has been a really good group, and they all return next year! Marcus Walker is the best DB we've had since Strait in my opinion. Lendy Holmes is becoming a playmaker at the other spot, and Reggie Smith is one of the best when he's healthy. Darien Williams is a steady, smart player, and he'll be starting his 3rd year at Free Saftey. Nic Harris is a playmaker, and I think we'll see more Royback with him being more accountable.

Sco
11/14/2006, 01:13 PM
Bob Stoops is an incredible coach. An NC in his second season, 2 more trips in the next three years... and when it seems like everything is falling apart (last season, this season), he still finds ways to win.

There's no reason to believe that no matter who we lose this year, no matter what teams get stronger and weaker, there's no reason to think we're going to just slide off the face of the earth. OU is going to be a threat... as long as games aren't taken from us.

caphorns
11/14/2006, 02:37 PM
Easily OU could run the table on the 2007 schedule. 7 home games and 4 road games (against mostly patsies). The key game is the same as every year. The real issue is whether your QB will trip along the way. I think he will, but it could get interesting. This year's crop of young QBs have had their trip ups, but it's been a pretty good year for the inexperienced QB. One observation - an inexperienced QB working with a good OL and experienced WRs can get the job done for the most part. Your date with Miami should be interesting - if Miami can get it together.

TexasBoomer
11/14/2006, 04:05 PM
On the QB for next year - we need someone that can manage the team well, throw well - need not be a great runner, OU will do fine. Someone like Colt - doesn't need to be Colt's equal in passing. I think Colt's talent is his ability to think and lead, not necessarily his athletic ability. PT has similar characteristics - manage, think and lead - not as good a passer as Colt but a better athlete and for our team just great.
Remember, defense wins games and we do have and will have a great defense next year.
I imagine that one of the QB's in the barn will do just fine. Don't be to critical of those two, remember this time last year not many of us thought much of PT and look what he has done.

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 04:09 PM
I am aware that this season is not in the books yet, however, I do want some opinions from every single one of you guys and please PLEASE discuss them as well. This is very interesting. I have been thinking about this for a long time ever since OUr second game this season. OUr team is doing one hell of a job this season. OUr effort from the coaching staff and players has proven dramatically. However, I know deep down in OUr hearts that we would like this team to form into a what we all like to call a "Bob Stoops" team. I mean, you can call me ridiculous, but everytime I see some great defensive plays, along with offensive plays I do get that excitement. However, I also think of the past on how well OUr players performed. For example: If a pass is thrown and is either tipped, or incomplete, there is a fair chance that some of OUr DBs or LBs will sprint just to catch the ball. In the past era, we've had players that would just dive or glide to make the catch for a turnover. All I am really trying to say is that we have more talent now than we did back in 02-03 in multiple areas. I don't know if my expectations are just way too darn high or maybe I just miss the old days of brilliance. I think it may be both. We have potential to be brilliant and amazing just like the old days. I understand that we are young. Will this happen though? OUr 07 recievers for next year are far more talented than the 03 and 00. OUr RB unit (even without AD) will be better than that of 03 and maybe better than that of 00. OUr TE unit will match that of 00 if not MAYBE better (you guys debate). OUr OL won't be near as good as 03, but still more solidified. All we need on offense is a QB, and we are a juggernaut on offense. Defense....I can't say that we match that with marshall/calmus and lehman/jackson but we will still be good as long as BV is the LB coach. How good will OUr DBs be next year even with the loss of darien and jason? We lose DEs that will hurt us a bit, but John Williams is a beast and hopefully another man will be a playmaker on the other side. OUr DL...words can not describe of how much talent will come out of that bunch. Special teams will be better...but how better? Criticize me all you want but I have put a LOT of thought into this and I want to hear what you guys think of this for next year or in the near future.

1 word: paragraphs. :D

sooneron
11/14/2006, 04:17 PM
I know one thing is certain next year, we are going to miss RUFUS A LOT!!

Desert Sapper
11/14/2006, 04:21 PM
It's been said before, but in '07 all this team lacks is an established QB to contend for a National Title. If one of the current QBs or an incoming QB steps up, nobody (to include the cowlovers to the south) will be able to stand in between this team and the Sugar Bowl National Championship Game (or whatever the heck they call it).

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 04:28 PM

Who are you, the gramar police?

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 04:31 PM
Who are you, the gramar police?

There's no way I'm the only one who skipped that when they saw that layout. Just sayin. :D

And who are you? The "people who think that they are the Grammar police"...Police?

sooneron
11/14/2006, 04:33 PM
I would like to reiterate that I am a little concerned about the LB position.

and DEs for that fact

SoonerFah
11/14/2006, 04:39 PM
I understand being concerned at linebacker, as I have posted earlier, but I think our situation at DE is pretty good. We've got some good players waiting their turns behind 3 really good seniors.

Linebackers... Brent Venebles is going to have to get some work done with them this offseason. We lose a lot in Rufus and Zach!

fwsooner22
11/14/2006, 04:40 PM

Much easier to be critical than insightful....just sayin

westcoast_sooner
11/14/2006, 04:48 PM
Cap - good observation. I think a lot of us from the Crimson and Cream perspective expected Colt to stumble more than he has. And I've seen quite a bit of respect from various posters that he's better than we thought/wanted him to be.

Agree totally that if we can get good QB play from either someone already on campus, or someone coming in, he can rely a lot on his supporting cast next year.

TexasLidig8r
11/14/2006, 04:51 PM
Who are you, the grandma police?

corrected.

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 04:52 PM

Much easier to miss the smilie than not...just sayin.

fwsooner22
11/14/2006, 05:02 PM
Much easier to miss the smilie than not...just sayin.

Being a smart a$$ with a little smilie to a guy who took the time to answer the actual question is still just that.....a smart a$$......

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 05:09 PM
Dude, that's how it is here. Chill out.

Want an answer?

i think we'll have a hell of a time replacing Paul. I think we will have a handful of games, that like this year, will go either way. I think 11-1 is realistic, but so is 9-3.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 05:14 PM
Dude, that's how it is here. Chill out.

Want an answer?

i think we'll have a hell of a time replacing Paul. I think we will have a handful of games, that like this year, will go either way. I think 11-1 is realistic, but so is 9-3.

Way to step out on a limb there Nostradamus.

Note the lack of a smiley.

:pop:

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 05:20 PM
Way to step out on a limb there Nostradamus.

Note the lack of a smiley.

Don't need a smilie, you ****. Quit eggin it on, dick.

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 05:25 PM
More of a metaphor than a simile.

Dumas.

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 05:28 PM
:mad:

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 05:50 PM
Heh.

fwsooner22
11/14/2006, 05:52 PM
Don't need a smilie, you ****. Quit eggin it on, dick.

Dude....That's how it is around here.........Chill..........No need to name call......Don't forget you picked this fight

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 06:05 PM
You're right, allow me to apoligize to JM:

http://www.spacetownusa.com/jmac/archives/images/flipping%20the%20bird.jpg

JohnnyMack
11/14/2006, 06:14 PM
You're right, allow me to apoligize to JM:

http://www.spacetownusa.com/jmac/archives/images/flipping%20the%20bird.jpg

I'll prolly get in trouble for this, but I can't stop laughing:

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/4202/pooez0.jpg

birddog
11/14/2006, 06:18 PM
^ GAME OVER.

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 06:22 PM
We should probably delete these so this guys thread doesn't get shut down. He did have some good questions.

OSUAggie
11/14/2006, 06:22 PM
I wonder if the "Sooners beating each other up like hot cakes!" scene was more comical than this...

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 06:24 PM
I seriously doubt it.

1stTimeCaller
11/14/2006, 08:10 PM
hey Coffeville, **** off, dip****

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/14/2006, 08:29 PM
E FIGHT !!!!

usmc-sooner
11/14/2006, 08:42 PM
I believe that children are the future!!!

Hold them close and let them lead the way!!!!!!

proudsoonergal
11/14/2006, 09:02 PM
This is the most insightful thread EVER. I've learned so much about everyone's thoughts about next year. ;)

My thoughts: I agree, other than the big gaping hole at QB, the players returning in the skill positions on O and, even more importantly, the O line should be really good next year. I'm also very excited that next year we will have solid, experienced play in special teams and in the secondary. LB and DE is a concern, since we are losing some good (and great) players, but since that is Stoops' coaching background, I'm really not too worried.

Additionally, there is a really good chance that our coaching staff will not be raided for the first time in what seems like forever, which will be helpful to the players on both sides of the ball. YAY.

Finally, something that is almost as important as the above: we have a schedule condusive to winning. Our first three games (UNT, Miami, and Utah State) are at home......the first two will likely have new head coaches, Utah State has been horrible this year, and even though Miami is done right now a win over them still holds some cred. Our next three games will be a gradual increase in toughness away from home.....at Tulsa, at Colorado, and at UT in Dallas. We then get four of the last six games at home, with the only road games against Iowa State and Texas Tech.

Guys, a NC is doable next year.

Rogue
11/14/2006, 09:08 PM
The off-season is a roller coaster for me every year. I bounce between optimism and doom&gloom. We will be another year older. Last time we had an experienced team with a JUCO xfer QB good things happened. Just sayin'.

Fugue
11/14/2006, 11:16 PM

spek :texan:

BASSooner
11/14/2006, 11:27 PM
im still very concerned about the QB situation. Halzle is horrible and no brilliance shown by Bradford. I hope we get a good QB from the class of 07 or another JUCO

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 11:31 PM

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 11:32 PM
im still very concerned about the QB situation. Halzle is horrible and no brilliance shown by Bradford. I hope we get a good QB from the class of 07 or another JUCO

I don't think we've seen enough of Halzle to say that, or Bradford to say that either. I think the Spring battle will be a very important one, and the coaches usually lead us down the right path there.

1stTimeCaller
11/14/2006, 11:37 PM
Halzle will not take a snap next year. The coaches made a mistake on him.

I could be wrong as I'm hearing that from one of the coaches good friends.

StoopTroup
11/14/2006, 11:48 PM
It's much easier to give SPEK than to explain why you are giving it. ;)

Fugue
11/15/2006, 09:44 AM
It's much easier to give SPEK than to explain why you are giving it. ;)

Heh, well played.

Although it's clear in this case that I'm spekking just to stick it to Coffee. :D

colleyvillesooner
11/15/2006, 09:58 AM

caphorns
11/15/2006, 10:28 AM
Has Stoops pursued any other QB in the 2007 class lately, besides Brantley?

colleyvillesooner
11/15/2006, 10:29 AM
no idea. You're welcome.

caphorns
11/15/2006, 10:32 AM
no idea. You're welcome.

More good insight. You're en fuego.

colleyvillesooner
11/15/2006, 10:51 AM
heh.

I've only heard about us targeting a few Juco QB's, but not settled on one yet. I think they are waiting for that Greco kid to play again, so they can make their decision. I haven't heard anything about a high schooler for this year. Somebody probably knows though.

JohnnyMack
11/15/2006, 11:00 AM
Al del Greco is a kicker you moran.

And I'm quite certain he doesn't have any more eligibility left.

Desert Sapper
11/15/2006, 11:24 AM
I think the only two non-JUCOs (according to rivals) we are looking at are Stephen Garcia and Rodney Cox (and maybe Brantley...who has given no indication he's going to 'break his word' to Texas). We are looking at 4 JUCOs, according to them. Weed, Greco, Cooper, and Cassel are in the mix, I guess.

I'm sure somebody else knows much more.