PDA

View Full Version : Any word on Manuel Johnson

CRASH 02
11/13/2006, 11:03 PM
Anyone heard anything other than what was said just after the game Saturday?

TheLadiesMike
11/13/2006, 11:20 PM
Paper said he's getting out of the hospital Sunday or Monday.

UHS-SoonerFan
11/13/2006, 11:20 PM
in another thread someone mentioned that he had recovered but most likely would not play this weeks game. Id go find said post, but i have a report to write, lol.

CoSooner
11/13/2006, 11:43 PM
WR Johnson out for No. 16 Sooners

NORMAN (AP) - Oklahoma receiver Manuel Johnson will not play Saturday against Baylor after being knocked out on a helmet-to-helmet hit in the Sooners' game against Texas Tech this weekend.

Johnson, who has 23 catches for 255 yards this season, had started the previous three games before the No. 16 Sooners (8-2, 5-1 Big 12) opened in a three tight end set against the Red Raiders.

"They're not having him do anything yet. They'll start getting him into some lifting and some exercising the middle of the week but he won't play this week," coach Bob Stoops said.

Johnson was hospitalized after the game Saturday but returned home on Sunday.

"He's all right. He looks normal. He got a concussion. A real bad concussion is what he had," said Malcolm Kelly, a fellow receiver and one of Johnson's roommates. "He came home yesterday, laughing and joking like there wasn't nothing wrong. He's cool."

Johnson had just caught a 4-yard pass when he and Texas Tech's Chris Parker collided and hit helmets. Johnson had to be carted off the field and taken to a waiting ambulance.

"His whole body was just stiff, kind of like you see a squirrel laying on the side of the road. That's how he was, just laying on the ground," said Kelly, who also was the first to attend to Johnson.

"It scared me, and I asked the trainer what was wrong with him and then he acted like he didn't want to tell me, like it was something real bad. So then I got real mad."

Kelly said Johnson was completely still for about 35 seconds before he opened his eyes, appearing as though he didn't know where he was. Kelly said Johnson didn't speak to him and didn't make any movements.

Stoops said he also didn't speak to Johnson but saw him communicating with medical personnel.

Before the injury, Johnson had set career-highs with six catches for 87 yards. The sophomore also caught a 32-yard touchdown pass.

"He said all he remembered was getting tackled and then waking up in the X-ray room," Kelly said.

Stoops said there was no update on the status of tailback Adrian Peterson, who has missed four games with a broken collarbone. Following the injury, the 2004 Heisman runner-up said he hoped to return in four to six weeks while Oklahoma trainer Scott Anderson said it would be six weeks.

Peterson has been off-limits to reporters the past three weeks.

"He's not playing this week," Stoops said. "Next week if you want to talk about it, we'll talk about it. There's nothing else. You're asking me to project a week here what's going to happen. I don't know."

Stoops said Peterson's primary backup, Allen Patrick, was able to practice after missing the Texas Tech game with an ankle injury. Patrick had 440 yards in three games after replacing Peterson as the Sooners' starter.

"He did a little bit of stuff, not a lot. But he's better than he was Friday," Stoops said.

jwlynn64
11/14/2006, 12:29 AM
Thanks, the wife and I were wondering about him. Glad that he's OK.

Widescreen
11/14/2006, 12:32 AM
"It scared me, and I asked the trainer what was wrong with him and then he acted like he didn't want to tell me, like it was something real bad. So then I got real mad."
I can vouch for that. I rewatched the game last night and there's a point where MK walks away and you can tell he's ****ed. He looked like he wanted to punch someone.

SoonerTerry
11/14/2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the update CoSooner.

And a big heartfelt thanks to all the Texas Tech players who were huddled up in prayer while manual was being attended to. You showed me who you really are, and I was speachless, not surprised just speachless, Thank you

Terry

bri
11/14/2006, 01:03 AM
I can vouch for that. I rewatched the game last night and there's a point where MK walks away and you can tell he's ****ed. He looked like he wanted to punch someone.

He should have punched the worthless Tech f*cker that led with the crown of his helmet and knocked Manuel out. :mad:

Sooner_Havok
11/14/2006, 01:54 AM
He should have punched the worthless Tech f*cker that led with the crown of his helmet and knocked Manuel out. :mad:

Don't know if you guys noticed but after tech missed that field goal and we started driving down field, Malcolm got a little revenge. That jerk had one of our receivers tied up after a pass, and Kelly just squared up on the guy from behind. He nailed the tech defender square in the back as hard as he could. tech kid stayed down for a while too. I did smile just a bit after that :D

CRASH 02
11/14/2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the info. Glad to see he is OK.

BermudaSooner
11/14/2006, 08:41 AM

The guy is playing hard, making a tackle. Unless you know he was trying to hurt MJ, I don't see how you can say that. He made a hard hit and caused a fumble. If it had been an OU player making a big hit and causing a fumble at a critical moment, I doubt you'd be calling for his head.

bri
11/14/2006, 09:24 AM
If he had led with the crown...WHICH IS ILLEGAL, then I'd want his *ss on the bench until he relearns proper technique.

jwlynn64
11/14/2006, 09:37 AM
We all saw the play, I didn't think that anything was wrong about the play. If anything, Manuel launched into the Tech Defender trying to get additional yards.

It was just an unfortunate accident. Both players were moving so if their helmets hit, it wasn't by design.

jwlynn64
11/14/2006, 09:38 AM
Sorry, this was a duplicate post.

TDSTEELE
11/21/2006, 09:29 AM
I am a new poster and a big Sooner fan from Manuel's hometown. I was wondering if there was any new news on his injury and if anybody knows whether or not he will play against OSU. Thanks in advance.

PAW
11/21/2006, 09:45 AM
I am a new poster and a big Sooner fan from Manuel's hometown. I was wondering if there was any new news on his injury and if anybody knows whether or not he will play against OSU. Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard. Haven't heard a thing . . . Stoops might address it at his presser this afternoon.

David Earl
11/21/2006, 09:47 AM
I'm almost certain MJ will NOT play against OSU. Last I heard was we should have him by the bowl game. So even if UT loses and we play in the CCG, MJ won't play then. At least that's my impression.

Widescreen
11/21/2006, 12:07 PM
Too bad. I hate it when those types of things happen. I really like Manuel. He's turning into a really good player.

Welcome to the board, TD. Thanks for not posting a new thread. I wish other n00bs would learn from your example.

Boomer.....
11/21/2006, 12:21 PM
They can't post new threads until they have at least 100 posts. Problem solved.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/21/2006, 12:46 PM
that would have been a 10k fine in the nfl. on appeal, it would have dropped to $1.50

toast
11/21/2006, 03:56 PM
This is from today's Tulsa World:

Receivers coach Kevin Sumlin said Johnson -- out last week after getting knocked unconscious the week before against Texas Tech -- practiced without contact in shorts and shoulder pads and a helmet.

"But he went through everything we did today, routes and working on our game plan for Saturday, putting that in," Sumlin said. "He looks quick and he looks fast.

"We're going out and proceeding just like normal. He was in the huddle today with the ones, the huddle broke and we threw him a couple of balls. So as of right now, I don't see that there's going to be any issue with that."

DustySooner
11/21/2006, 04:07 PM
This is from today's Tulsa World:

Receivers coach Kevin Sumlin said Johnson -- out last week after getting knocked unconscious the week before against Texas Tech -- practiced without contact in shorts and shoulder pads and a helmet.

"But he went through everything we did today, routes and working on our game plan for Saturday, putting that in," Sumlin said. "He looks quick and he looks fast.

"We're going out and proceeding just like normal. He was in the huddle today with the ones, the huddle broke and we threw him a couple of balls. So as of right now, I don't see that there's going to be any issue with that."

That's great to hear, thanks for the update.