PDA

View Full Version : I have to admit, despite my sincere. hopes....

Soonerus
11/13/2006, 10:39 PM
....Gute is no Q.....

Okieflyer
11/13/2006, 10:41 PM
...No doubt!

ruf/nekdad
11/13/2006, 10:44 PM
No, but I liked the way Chris Brown looked. Hes going to be a stud.

Soonerus
11/13/2006, 10:47 PM
Brown looks great but Gute/Q is the issue....

southern sooner
11/13/2006, 11:01 PM
maybe not on the field but I hear he is a great kid off the field and represents the Sooners in a very strong way... On the field he has been of, however I agree no Q....

Soonerus
11/13/2006, 11:03 PM
maybe not on the field but I hear he is a great kid off the field and represents the Sooners in a very strong way... On the field he has been of, however I agree no Q....

Totally agree to Gute's off-the-field greatness, almost unprecedented....

sooneron
11/13/2006, 11:06 PM
Meh, I'm willing to see if he can give it another shot. I don't think he's Q in that he can be an every down back, but he seems to shine when he comes in for a change of pace.

SoonerGM
11/13/2006, 11:25 PM
i would like to see some shovel passes go his way, like they use to do with Q.

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 11:29 PM
I think the future should be a lot of Brown/Patrick lined up with Gute in a 2 back offense to keep the defense on their toes.

CatfishSooner
11/13/2006, 11:32 PM
There will never be a little man like Q that will be so good.. He was awesome!

Boomerbrad
11/13/2006, 11:32 PM
Is it fair to compare him to Q when they are running out of different formations??? His style is more suited for the shotgun-spread like we ran when Q was here.

Jimminy Crimson
11/13/2006, 11:33 PM
Great team player and a heck of a special teams guy.

CatfishSooner
11/13/2006, 11:41 PM
Great team player and a heck of a special teams guy.

Yeah! I always just watch:pop: him during kickoff's ...he's awesome haha

SoonerGM
11/13/2006, 11:50 PM
Is it fair to compare him to Q when they are running out of different formations??? His style is more suited for the shotgun-spread like we ran when Q was here.

agreed. the offense has been all about power running. also, even when they try to accomidate him with some plays suited to his style, the oline probably doesnt practice those plays a whole lot, so the blocking wont be as effective either.

chbrew09
11/13/2006, 11:59 PM
has anybody noticed his biggest runs have been on plays to the outside? It seems like every play they call up the middle with gute is stopped off the bat. If we had a 2 back offense it would be perfect because the defense would have to play inside for patrick, but outside for gute. Making them guess inside/outside run while having to defend the pass would be a pretty tough assignment for any defense. If gute gets outside...he's quicker than any player on the field and can make something happen. Q's the best, though

TrophyCollector
11/14/2006, 12:13 AM
It isn't fair to compare any player to Q. Q is one of the greatest players in OU history. #5 in rushing yards, #12 in receiving yards, #2 in pass receptions, #2 in all-purpose yards and #7 in scoring (behind Steve Owens, Billy Sims and 4 kickers). 6 TDs in one game. 2 Big XII Titles and 1 National Title.

It could be a long, long time before we have any RB that gets close to the success Q had.

jwlynn64
11/14/2006, 12:18 AM
I thought that they didn't call plays to his strenght last week. Early in the game when they ran him to the outside, he got yards. After his fumble, they almost exclusively ran him inside the tackles and they almost always went for a loss.

I don't think you can use last game as a measuring stick as to his abilities or potential. Looks like he will not get too many chances though. Chris Brown was in for most of the plays in the second half.

Oldnslo
11/14/2006, 10:23 AM
Maybe the comparison was closer/fairer before Gute's surgery. Right now... not so much.

yermom
11/14/2006, 11:04 AM
It isn't fair to compare any player to Q. Q is one of the greatest players in OU history. #5 in rushing yards, #12 in receiving yards, #2 in pass receptions, #2 in all-purpose yards and #7 in scoring (behind Steve Owens, Billy Sims and 4 kickers). 6 TDs in one game. 2 Big XII Titles and 1 National Title.

It could be a long, long time before we have any RB that gets close to the success Q had.

#3 in yards for a season, would have been #2 (#1 at the time, over Sims's Heisman season) if they would have not pulled him in the Rose Bowl. only Mark Clayton has caught more balls

Gute lost something after the knee injury :( but he's still pretty solid, especially to the outside

of course that wouldn't cause the problem he's had fumbling the ball at inopportune times

bluedogok
11/14/2006, 11:09 AM
Yep, it is a different type of offense which requires a more traditional I-Back rather than the Q-Style of back. In this type of offense Q would be a good back but not anywhere near what he was in the spread just like an I-Back would not be as good in the spread, much different running styles.

OUGreg723
11/14/2006, 12:51 PM
Gute is a GREAT Oklahoma Sooner and I love him. He's a hard worker, a great contributer and a great person. He's made some great runs for us as a back up.

Pepe Frias' Batting Glove
11/14/2006, 01:03 PM
....Gute is no Q.....

¡Usted perro de mentira! ¡Gutierrez es el más grande...y Juaquin Iglesias, también!

opksooner
11/14/2006, 01:44 PM
¡Usted perro de mentira! ¡Gutierrez es el más grande...y Juaquin Iglesias, también!
PFBG, There are only two languages spoken at SF.

English and bad English.

..........just sayin' :(

sanantoniosooner
11/14/2006, 01:46 PM
nunca lucha un enano loco.