PDA

View Full Version : so I pull over to offer assistance to a guy, while it was pouring down rain

usmc-sooner
11/13/2006, 08:16 PM
a week or so ago. You know I pull over to offer to call or give the guy a ride or maybe even change a tire.

The guy starts trying to hit me up for money. I tell him, I don't have money on me. The guy starts telling me that he's had these car problems for a while but he's $30.00 short of what he needs to fix them. I tell him I can give him a ride or call someone for him, but I can't give him money. He then starts talking about me going to the ATM or writing him a check and giving him my address so he can pay me back. I just drove off.

That crap really ticks me off.

OUHOMER
11/13/2006, 08:21 PM
should have slit a tire and told him he was going to need a few more bucks.

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2006, 08:23 PM
You could have at least negotiated with me.

yermom
11/13/2006, 08:46 PM
i would have told him he could give me $20 for a ride, normally it's only $10, but since it's raining...

seriously though... makes you wonder if his car was actually even broke down

i'm so gonna try this next time it rains ;)

WILBURJIM
11/13/2006, 09:16 PM
A couple of weeks ago, some guy rings my doorbell at 1:00 AM. I'm awake, channel surfing and answer the door. "Hey man, I'm your neighbor down the street and need some gas money. I saw your lights on and figured you could help me out with $5.00."

What's your address?

"1155."

WTF? I don't get that. Was he casing my place? Wanting to see if someone was home?

olevetonahill
11/13/2006, 09:21 PM
A couple of weeks ago, some guy rings my doorbell at 1:00 AM. I'm awake, channel surfing and answer the door. "Hey man, I'm your neighbor down the street and need some gas money. I saw your lights on and figured you could help me out with $5.00."

What's your address?

"1155."

WTF? I don't get that. Was he casing my place? Wanting to see if someone was home?
You answer your door at 1 am , With out a gun in hand ? :eek:

WILBURJIM
11/13/2006, 09:30 PM
You answer your door at 1 am , With out a gun in hand ? :eek:
Yeah. I turned on the porch light and he didn't seem menacing at all.
But, that reminds me of the time the two Mormon guys came a knockin' and my son was messin' around with his pistol in the living room. Guys in suits running across the lawn is quite the sight. :eek: :D

1stTimeCaller
11/13/2006, 09:37 PM
have you been down to 1155 to check out if that guy lives there and/or got your money back?

olevetonahill
11/13/2006, 09:38 PM
Yeah. I turned on the porch light and he didn't seem menacing at all.
But, that reminds me of the time the two Mormon guys came a knockin' and my son was messin' around with his pistol in the living room. Guys in suits running across the lawn is quite the sight. :eek: :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The J W s kept coming to my door . I finaly got tired of it and answered it neked :eek:
those chicks left PDQ . they didnt bother me for 3 yrs , then one morning as Im hungover they beat on my door . 2 Dudes this time :confused:
I yell what ? they say we are J W s and we want to talk to you . I pulled My pillow over my head and busted 2, 357 rounds thru My wood floor ;)
Ive never been bothered since :cool:

mdklatt
11/13/2006, 09:43 PM
Being nice to people is for suckers.

MamaMia
11/13/2006, 09:49 PM
It was nice of you to stop and offer your help. I'll bet his car wasn't even broken down. I hope his actions don't prevent you from helping others, but nowadays its just too scary to stop and offer help on the road for fear of being attacked. I don't stop anymore like I use to. I just call 911 on my cell phone and report that someone may need help.

olevetonahill
11/13/2006, 09:51 PM
It was nice of you to stop and offer your help. I'll bet his car wasn't even broken down. I hope his actions don't prevent you from helping others, but nowadays its just too scary to stop and offer help on the road for fear of being attacked. I don't stop anymore like I use to. I just call 911 on my cell phone and report that someone may need help.
good girl
Even if you are drinking curdled Baileys ;)

Jerk
11/13/2006, 09:56 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The J W s kept coming to my door . I finaly got tired of it and answered it neked :eek:
those chicks left PDQ . they didnt bother me for 3 yrs , then one morning as Im hungover they beat on my door . 2 Dudes this time :confused:
I yell what ? they say we are J W s and we want to talk to you . I pulled My pillow over my head and busted 2, 357 rounds thru My wood floor ;)
Ive never been bothered since :cool:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m6/FITorion/BBS/katzemuahahah.jpg

WILBURJIM
11/13/2006, 10:00 PM
have you been down to 1155 to check out if that guy lives there and/or got your money back?
The night he rang, I was making a mental note to drive by 1155 sometime, which is about a 1/2 mile away. I never gave him money, so I'm not looking for that back, and of course, I scribbled a grocery list over my mental note, so I have not gone by 1155.

1stTimeCaller
11/13/2006, 10:20 PM
what did you pick up at the grocery store?

;)

olevetonahill
11/13/2006, 10:25 PM
what did you pick up at the grocery store?

;)
Hefor got to say he was in Alaska . He just picked up the stuff that was on the ground after the shooting :eek:

MamaMia
11/13/2006, 11:40 PM
good girl
Even if you are drinking curdled Baileys ;)
Especially if you are drinking curdled Baileys. :P

olevetonahill
11/13/2006, 11:41 PM
Especially if you are drinking curdled Baileys. :P
:D :D :D :D

LoyalFan
11/14/2006, 11:02 AM
Well, I can relate to the risks, and the rewards, of trying to be a good samaritan.
Quickies:
1968, August...Home from a tour in Korea, on way from leave in San Antonio to new post, Fort Riley. Stop on 281 to pick up large college guy, seein' as how he's nicely clad and totin' a suitcase. Turns out he's a jock heading back to SMU. We reach the fork that leads to Dallas and I pull over, wish him luck, and wait for him to exit the vehicle. He informs me that I'm gonna take him all the way to SMU.
I produce .45 auto and invite him to forget it. He literally falls outta the car and I take off, stop 200 yards down the road and scatter the contents of his suitcase in the brisk wind. pWned!
1990's, Winter...Coming back to San Antonio on IH10, just E. of Kerrville. Spot some poor guy walking along in the freezing rain. Stop and tell him that I don't care if he's J.T.Ripper, I'm not gonna leave a human out there in that stuff. He gets in after a long look at me (he doesn't see the .45 auto).
After a few minutes he says "Sir, I think I know you."...Hmmmm. I take a look and, by golly, he seems familiar too.
"Sir, were you ever stationed at Fort Riley, in the late 60's?" "Yes, were you?"
"You were my company commander, Sir."
"What unit?" asks I.
"Alpha Company, 1/70 Armor. Our battalion CO was LTC M----."
Me: "OMG!"
Over twenty years after the fact!
A happy drive! Dropped him off at the VA, gave him some bux, and wished him well. Still get Xmas cards from him and I recip.
I've changed a lot of tires for folks, hauled cans to gas stations and back, and even handed out a few bux...better that than the heartache of wishing I'd done a good deed when I'd failed to do so.

L.Fan

fadada1
11/14/2006, 11:14 AM
cool story, loyal. not the first one.

Veritas
11/14/2006, 11:14 AM
Good call mom. Sad statement on society, but women shouldn't take the risk of pulling over to help someone these days.

My best "helping a dude out" story is from when I was in Dallas. I was outside an ATM at the Skillman/Mockingbird intersection getting ready to deposit my bar earnings for the night, around a couple hundred bucks. It was a pretty cold night, and as I'm sitting in the car, this black dude walks by, kinda looks hard in the window, and keeps on going. I get out, sorta watching him out of the corner of my eye and put my money in the ATM. So I'm getting back in the car and the dude walks up and asks me if I can give him a ride to his house. Long story short, I give him a ride up to Garland, which would have pretty much taken him all night to hoof it to. Turns out he was a new short order cook at a cafe right next to the bar I worked so I got free or severely discounted breakfasts for as long as he worked there.

85Sooner
11/14/2006, 11:46 AM
Well, I can relate to the risks, and the rewards, of trying to be a good samaritan.
Quickies:
1968, August...Home from a tour in Korea, on way from leave in San Antonio to new post, Fort Riley. Stop on 281 to pick up large college guy, seein' as how he's nicely clad and totin' a suitcase. Turns out he's a jock heading back to SMU. We reach the fork that leads to Dallas and I pull over, wish him luck, and wait for him to exit the vehicle. He informs me that I'm gonna take him all the way to SMU.
I produce .45 auto and invite him to forget it. He literally falls outta the car and I take off, stop 200 yards down the road and scatter the contents of his suitcase in the brisk wind. pWned!
1990's, Winter...Coming back to San Antonio on IH10, just E. of Kerrville. Spot some poor guy walking along in the freezing rain. Stop and tell him that I don't care if he's J.T.Ripper, I'm not gonna leave a human out there in that stuff. He gets in after a long look at me (he doesn't see the .45 auto).
After a few minutes he says "Sir, I think I know you."...Hmmmm. I take a look and, by golly, he seems familiar too.
"Sir, were you ever stationed at Fort Riley, in the late 60's?" "Yes, were you?"
"You were my company commander, Sir."
"What unit?" asks I.
"Alpha Company, 1/70 Armor. Our battalion CO was LTC M----."
Me: "OMG!"
Over twenty years after the fact!
A happy drive! Dropped him off at the VA, gave him some bux, and wished him well. Still get Xmas cards from him and I recip.
I've changed a lot of tires for folks, hauled cans to gas stations and back, and even handed out a few bux...better that than the heartache of wishing I'd done a good deed when I'd failed to do so.

L.Fan

NICE READ.

picasso
11/14/2006, 11:56 AM
the old gas money gig is a trick that's used across the country I guess.
I've heard it mentioned on the radio before, they must teach a class on it somewhere.

XingTheRubicon
11/14/2006, 12:43 PM
the old gas money gig is a trick that's used across the country I guess.
I've heard it mentioned on the radio before, they must teach a class on it in southern California.

It's an elective at Venice CC, I believe.

BoogercountySooner
11/14/2006, 02:35 PM
One name comes to mind from the late 70's. Roger Dale Stafford! He was the dude that went on a murdering spree and one of his victim's was a good samaritan that pulled over to help when he was parked on the side of the road. At least thats the way I remember it from 30 years ago! You good people be careful out there!