PDA

View Full Version : Nov. 13 - Ivan Maisel thinks....

trwxxa
11/13/2006, 04:00 PM
we're going to the Orange Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2627844

Big Red Ron
11/13/2006, 04:03 PM
Very possible. We are kings of the OB.

Widescreen
11/13/2006, 04:07 PM
The other guy has Arizona going to the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. That doesn't sound like a real bowl but if it is, it would be great for Mike to take the Cats to his first bowl.

oKOIhoma fan
11/13/2006, 04:08 PM
Well who would not take a 1 loss OU team? Karma strikes again!

tbl
11/13/2006, 04:42 PM
Are we?????

Landthief 1972
11/13/2006, 05:13 PM

Someone should have told USC that. :eek:

OK2LA
11/13/2006, 05:18 PM

Kings?

Myopia strikes again!

TexasLidig8r
11/13/2006, 05:19 PM
Last week.. Ivan picked Texas to be playing Ohio State for the national championship.

You're doomed.

yermom
11/13/2006, 05:22 PM
Kings?

Myopia strikes again!

12-7 or something isn't too shabby

i don't think anyone else has won as many as OU

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 05:23 PM
We've certainly been to our share.

OK2LA
11/13/2006, 05:27 PM
12-7 or something isn't too shabby

i don't think anyone else has won as many as OU

I wouldn't anoint myself "KING" of anything with a 12-7 record . . .

Is texas KING of the Cotton Bowl in October?

Nor would I do it after the last time I was in my "KINGDOM" I got a mudhole stomped in my arse in MY building.

We have a pretty good record there - I'd leave it at that . . . :D

Octavian
11/13/2006, 05:28 PM
OU has more OB victories than any other program...followed by Nebraska.

We've won 2 national titles games in Miami...but lost (assuming one doesn't count the '85 OB vs. Washington since it wasn't a "true" NCG) 2 others.

This year...looks like we'll need some help to get there.

OSUAggie
11/13/2006, 05:33 PM
OU has more OB victories than any other program...followed by Nebraska.

We've won 2 national titles games in Miami...but lost (assuming one doesn't count the '85 OB vs. Washington since it wasn't a "true" NCG) 2 others.

This year...looks like we'll need some help to get there.

Those numbers aren't hurt by the fact that the Big 8 champ played in the Orange Bowl pretty much every year for the national championship

caphorns
11/13/2006, 05:34 PM
We sit at No. 13 and 17 in the BCS respectively, with no big games on the horizon and Maisel thinks both of us are going to the BCS bowls. That's some interesting perspective right there. I want some of what Maisel is having.

yermom
11/13/2006, 05:36 PM
he picked Texas in the Fiesta didn't he?

OSUAggie
11/13/2006, 05:36 PM
a lot of people ahead of you two have games against one another, maybe that's what he's having

PLaw
11/13/2006, 06:07 PM

Last I remember, USC hung 55 on our butt and gave us the worst bowl defeat in school history. We still haven't recovered from that hang over.

GO SOONERS
PLaw

Widescreen
11/13/2006, 06:15 PM
We sit at No. 13 and 17 in the BCS respectively, with no big games on the horizon and Maisel thinks both of us are going to the BCS bowls. That's some interesting perspective right there. I want some of what Maisel is having.
If UT wins the B12, they're going to the Fiesta. Harder to make the argument for us.

caphorns
11/13/2006, 06:20 PM
It would be quite a jump considering you moved not 1 spot this week despite the shakeup at the top. I think we're both stuck in BCS purgatory, but you never know. Either team would get a boost by winning the Big XII championship. But I just don't see how the other team gets anywhere in this scenario. Your remaining games don't help your SOS do they?

TopDawg
11/13/2006, 06:24 PM

Barring the unforseen, one of us will be playing in the CCG. That's a fairly big game and could lead to an automatic berth. Let's say you get it. How do we make it?

The national title game will take two teams, so it's as if we're ranked 15. BCS bowls will take 8 teams, leaving us with 7 teams to "pass."

Wisconsin can't go to a BCS Bowl (unless Michgan or Ohio State doesn't).

They're predicting Rutgers will lose to WVU and the pollsters are likely to drop them fairly considerably after that. Probably enough to get them below us.

Only two of the following will get in: Florida, Arkansas, LSU and Auburn. That takes two out from in front of us.

Looks like they're predicting Wake to lose to Virginia Tech or Maryland, and Cal to lose to USC moving them both below us.

They both expect only one Big East team to make it, moving Louisville below us.

Yeah, some things have to fall into place, but they're not exactly calling for a lot of upsets or surprises.

Octavian
11/13/2006, 06:26 PM
Those numbers aren't hurt by the fact that the Big 8 champ played in the Orange Bowl pretty much every year for the national championship

Well, yeah.

The numbers are what they are. We've been to 19 Orange Bowls.

USC and Michigan have a lot of Rose Bowl appearances b/c of their conference tie-ins w/ Pasadena.

Every other Big 7/Big 8 team had the same opportunity to win the conference title and go to Miami too.

But, they didn't.

Oklahoma consistently excelled.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5492/gzgoxzsjpifxlmz20041220oa9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9743/copwshhbpobpjst20041220uy0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/1272/asoonershftto6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OSUAggie
11/13/2006, 06:36 PM
Well, yeah.

The numbers are what they are. We've been to 19 Orange Bowls.

USC and Michigan have a lot of Rose Bowl appearances b/c of their conference tie-ins w/ Pasadena.

Every other Big 7/Big 8 team had the same opportunity to win the conference title and go to Miami too.

But, they didn't.

wow, thanks for clearing that up... Why can't you subtly slight Colorado w/ a Big 6 reference?

caphorns
11/13/2006, 06:43 PM
Well then, it would certainly be great for the conference to have 2 teams in the BCS. I'm all for it if it's possible. Weirder things have happened.

Octavian
11/13/2006, 06:44 PM
wow, thanks for clearing that up... Why can't you subtly slight Colorado w/ a Big 6 reference?

I wasn't trying to slight anyone w/ the 7 reference.

We went to the OB several times before the Big 8 was formed due to the conference tie-in.

Besides, I don't think about Colorado enough to diss them unless they're up next on the schedule. ;)

Octavian
11/13/2006, 06:45 PM
Well then, it would certainly be great for the conference to have 2 teams in the BCS. I'm all for it if it's possible. Weirder things have happened.

How 'bout an OU-Texas rematch?

That poor city wouldn't know what hit it :D

MiccoMacey
11/13/2006, 06:51 PM
Notre Dame and Boise Sate may screw it up for us.

Dang them and their automatic "field-a-team-and-you-can-play" bid.

OUHOMER
11/13/2006, 07:13 PM

Now that would be fantastic....:D

goingoneight
11/13/2006, 09:38 PM
Ah, yes. Let us play one of these teams like Wisconsin or Rutgers or Wake Forest or someone else who has lots of wins, but not a chance of beating a real powerhouse program.

The Ensuing Kickoff
11/13/2006, 11:35 PM
Maryland/OU in Miami. That's old school.

I think I'll take the train to this one, wearing a brown suit and a fedora.

utex74
11/13/2006, 11:37 PM
we're going to the Orange Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2627844

And even better...Notre Dame is NOT!

BajaOklahoma
11/14/2006, 12:48 AM

Do we get to see a video of Mack's face when they tell him? :D

Sooner_Havok
11/14/2006, 01:06 AM
Do we get to see a video of Mack's face when they tell him? :D

Heh, spek for the old school reference :D

birddog
11/14/2006, 01:08 AM
And even better...Notre Dame is NOT!

simmer down skippy, they are projections.

Big Red Ron
11/14/2006, 06:08 PM
We rule the OB! Name another school that has a cogent argument of that claim.

TopDawg
11/14/2006, 06:11 PM
Miami?

OSUAggie
11/14/2006, 06:16 PM
I think the Sooner "domination" or whatever we're calling it on the OB only holds true when the OB was actually played in the OB... Now that it's up nofe of the OB the mystique is gone...

Big Red Ron
11/14/2006, 06:24 PM
I think the Sooner "domination" or whatever we're calling it on the OB only holds true when the OB was actually played in the OB... Now that it's up nofe of the OB the mystique is gone...Hey dumbass. Wasn't it in the New OB where we shutout the "Best Offense" in the history of college football as a 20 point underdog in 2000? That's what I thought. Has your directional school ever been to an OB? Call me when you win seven games *********.

OSUAggie
11/14/2006, 06:26 PM
You also got drilled..... When you give up 55 in a championship game and don't quite get to 20, there is no more dominance...

the dominance lies in the original orange bowl, where the game should still be played.

MiccoMacey
11/14/2006, 06:28 PM
So...we're 1-1 in the new OB.

And one NC.

I like our chances there.

Big Red Ron
11/14/2006, 06:31 PM
You also got drilled..... When you give up 55 in a championship game and don't quite get to 20, there is no more dominance...

the dominance lies in the original orange bowl, where the game should still be played.You are a goofy bastage. Why are you here? If the Cotton Bowl moved to Jerry's world would we throw out the history? No. The OB is the OB and we effin rule it. Enjoy your Texass Bowl or whatever piece of **** you end up in you goddamn bottom feeder.

TopDawg
11/14/2006, 06:34 PM

the dominance lies in the original orange bowl, where the game should still be played.

What would you know about domination? You guys don't even dominate in Stillwater.

OSUAggie
11/14/2006, 06:42 PM
Yes, but we get dominated by several teams, therefore we know about it...

Harry Beanbag
11/14/2006, 06:59 PM
What would you know about domination? You guys don't even dominate in Stillwater.

You mean other than livestock?

stoopified
11/14/2006, 07:54 PM
Last week.. Ivan picked Texas to be playing Ohio State for the national championship.

You're doomed.Our odds are still better then if CORSO picked us.

Octavian
11/14/2006, 10:14 PM
You also got drilled..... When you give up 55 in a championship game and don't quite get to 20, there is no more dominance..

Orange Bowl Records:

Oklahoma: 12-6

Nebraska: 7-10

Miami: 4-4

Alabama: 4-4

http://www.orangebowl.org/OB.php?sec=history

Despite the thrashing in our last trip...if there's a King of the Orange Bowl, it's us.

BIG_IKE
11/15/2006, 08:41 AM
Rutgers vs. West Virginia (creates new 2 loss team)
Michigan vs. Ohio State
Florida vs. Arkansas (creates new 2 loss team)
USC vs. Cal (creates new 2 loss team)
USC vs. Notre Dame (could create another 2 loss team)
then you have SEC games that will knock down current 2 loss teams near the top like LSU and Tennessee...as long as we keep winning we will move up as those guys fall. At a critical point in the season too.
Big 10= Ohio State, Michigan
Big East= Rutgers
SEC= Florida
ACC= Wake Forest
PAC-10 = USC
Big 12= Texas

that would be the champs of BCS conferences plus Michigan..leaving 3 slots to be decided between

Notre Dame (1 loss, but plays SC)
Tennessee (2-loss)
Cal (1 loss but plays SC)
Arkansas (1 loss but plays FL)
Auburn (2 losses)
Oklahoma (2 losses)
Louisville (1 loss)
West Virginia (1 loss but plays Rutgers)
Boise State
LSU (2 losses)

Here is what we need...

USC beat Notre Dame
Cal beat USC
Rutgers to beat WVU
The SEC Champ loser to fall below us

And you will have Louisville, OU and Boise State grabbing the at-large bids.
It is Very possible and highly likely.

mrowl
11/15/2006, 04:45 PM
2. How will Oklahoma make it to a BCS bowl?
Oklahoma

That's a question I've been answering from Sooners fans ever since I projected that Oklahoma will get to the Orange Bowl. Here's what I think will happen:

The Ohio State-Michigan loser will get one at-large bid.

Boise State will get one at-large bid because it will finish ahead of the ACC champion in the final BCS standings.

Notre Dame will get one because it will finish no worse than 10-2 and because it is, well, Notre Dame.

That leaves one bid, with the most likely candidates being a two-loss team from the SEC, the Big East runner-up, and Oklahoma.

If Florida is 10-2, it will be coming off a loss in the SEC Championship Game after a string of uninspiring victories.

If Arkansas is 10-2, it will be after a loss to Florida.

That leaves the Big East runner-up. Does it take Rutgers at 11-1, which would mean it ended the season with a loss? Does it take a 10-2 West Virginia team after a loss to Rutgers? Does it take 11-1 Louisville?

LSU at 10-2 would be a threat to a 10-2 Oklahoma, but as hot as Arkansas is, I don't think LSU will beat the Razorbacks in Little Rock.

Louisville is the biggest threat to my Sooners theory. The Cardinal fans will travel, which might be important to a bowl with a Wake Forest as its host team. But Oklahoma with a seven-game winning streak and a healthy Adrian Peterson would be awfully enticing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2662188

TexasLidig8r
11/16/2006, 10:16 AM
As an aside.. in terms of "King of the Orange Bowl,".... wouldn't it be....

USC at 2 - 0 or....

Your University of Texas Longhorns.... also... at 2 - 0 !!!!!!!

Undefeated baby!!!!!

(its' gonna really succ that we are going to get the Blue Smurfs in the Fiesta and you are going to get a much better, more recognizable college football power in either the Sugar or Orange Bowl)

Widescreen
11/16/2006, 10:31 AM
(its' gonna really succ that we are going to get the Blue Smurfs in the Fiesta and you are going to get a much better, more recognizable college football power in either the Sugar or Orange Bowl)
OU is going to need some serious help to get in position for a BCS berth.

Texas Golfer
11/16/2006, 06:36 PM

We looked more like court jesters the last time we were there.

Texas Golfer
11/16/2006, 06:39 PM
We rule the OB! Name another school that has a cogent argument of that claim.

USC has a pretty good record there.

Harry Beanbag
11/16/2006, 06:50 PM
USC has a pretty good record there.

They've played in exactly two of them, both in the last four years.