PDA

View Full Version : The curse of Gordon Reise lives! call at USC-Oregon Game! did u see this?

The_Red_Patriot
11/13/2006, 02:04 PM
From sportsline.com

The curse of Gordon Riese lives! Unless you were watching at 1 a.m. ET, you missed one of the more incredible situations of '06.

Let's just say it involved Oregon, a tipped pass and Pac-10 officials. Again.

On fourth-and-goal from USC's 7-yard line, Oregon's Brady Leaf threw an apparent touchdown pass in the back of the end zone to Jonathan Stewart.

But a review determined that Stewart had stepped out of bounds before catching the ball inbounds. Then Oregon coach Mike Bellotti challenged the review. We didn't even know that was possible. Neither did a top NCAA officiating official.

Upon further, further review, it was determined the ball had been tipped, making Stewart's catch legal.

"After further review, we have a reversal of the previously announced ruling," Pac-10 referee Jack Wood said after a 15-minute delay in the game.

The score ended up being meaningless in a 35-10 USC victory. Well, not meaningless to Oklahoma, which will relive a September nightmare when it finds out.

"That's the first time I've ever heard of it," said Dave Parry, Big Ten supervisor of officials, who helped the conference develop instant replay. "You're fortunate the score was lopsided. If it was 28-27 there'd be a lot of talk."

Questions: A tipped pass, involving Oregon and a Pac-10 replay official? This can't be happening again. Did Stoops know he could have challenged the review of a) the botched onsides kick call or b) the botched pass interference call on Sept. 16?

When contacted Sunday afternoon, Parry himself wasn't sure if a reversal could be challenged. Parry is also the NCAA coordinator of officials for bowl games.

OUDoc
11/13/2006, 02:08 PM
Yup. They're idiots.

Blues1
11/13/2006, 02:09 PM
"Did Stoops know he could have challenged the review of a) the botched onsides kick call or b) the botched pass interference call on Sept. 16?"

Of course he didn't know - The Pac 10 makes up new rules anytime they want...!!

R'

noobalicious
11/13/2006, 02:09 PM
Pac 10 Officials :mad:

Oregon still losing :D

IronSooner
11/13/2006, 02:10 PM
Glad they all talked this out before the season and everybody's on the same page.

The_Red_Patriot
11/13/2006, 02:24 PM
Glad they all talked this out before the season and everybody's on the same page.

totally, go ncaa and pac 10

sooner1129
11/13/2006, 02:43 PM
anyone remember this?

"This shows the nation we can play with the big boys," Oregon rover Patrick Chung said. "We beat Oklahoma, No. 15 in the nation, and now you have to watch out for Oregon"

watch them what? fall off the polls?

soonerloyal
11/13/2006, 02:49 PM
Somebody take the LSD out of the refs' Gatorade supply before they start hallucinating worse.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/13/2006, 02:49 PM
The tipped pass we probably could have had "review reviewed."

But the onsides kick I don't believe we could have because we were inside the two minute mark. I believe only the replay officials have discretion to stop play for a review at that point.

SoonerLB
11/13/2006, 03:09 PM
I was watching that game Sat. night, and that has to be a classic! Should be forced viewing for everyone associated with the NCAA. They need to quit worrying about how to shorten games for the networks and focus on getting games called correctly, and do it consistently, not conference by conference choice of applications!

StoopTroup
11/13/2006, 03:21 PM
Proof that there are some folks besides OU Alums and Fans that really know just how screwed over The Sooners were in Eugene.

I have no pity for Belotti.

He knew he was lucky to win that game.

He should have expressed that to his players and the media instead of shining them all on and ending up looking like a poser.

Yeah...that's right Duck Fans...

POSER...

yermom
11/13/2006, 03:23 PM
The tipped pass we probably could have had "review reviewed."

But the onsides kick I don't believe we could have because we were inside the two minute mark. I believe only the replay officials have discretion to stop play for a review at that point.

i thought that was just for the NFL

TUSooner
11/13/2006, 03:24 PM
Each team having an attorney on the sidelines is inevitable. I'm brushing up my resume!

BigRedJed
11/13/2006, 03:43 PM
I said it before the Oregon debacle and I'll say it again: GET RID OF INSTANT REPLAY. Chuck it. Throw it the **** out. It's incosistent due to wildly varying equipment and budgets. It has neutered on-the-field officials, who now depend on the replay booth to get calls right. It slows down games and robs teams of momentum, which is more important in college football than it is in perhaps any other sport. It hasn't proven to me that it helps any as far as getting more calls right; in fact, just the opposite. It's not infallible, so why bother?

Conferences should get the most qualified officials they can, train them well, review their calls after games and hold them accountable when they screw up. Look closely at any alumni or social connections that would cause the appearance of impropriety, and schedule officials away from those situations, even if you are absolutely certain the official in question is an impartial saint.

Let the calls on the field stand, and let on-the-field officials get back into the business of being good. Understand that sometimes bad calls happen. It's the real world. Life isn't always fair. People aren't perfect. That's actually not a bad lesson for people to learn through sport. If an official displays a pattern of bad officiating, fire him, yet another real-world solution.

Will there be some occasional, horrific calls that alter the outcomes of games? Sure. There always have been, and always will be. But there have been horrific calls that have altered the outcomes of games SINCE the implementation of replay. Nothing has changed, it only has become more frustrating to be on the losing end of a bad call because there is now the expectation that things will be made right through technology. Football was just fine for 100+ years without it.

GET RID OF IT.

OUDoc
11/13/2006, 04:09 PM
watch them what? fall off the polls?
Watch so you don't get hit as they fly off the face of college football.

jwlynn64
11/13/2006, 04:13 PM
Right, let's never try to improve the game. It doesn't matter that technology can be improved and can be used to make the game more accurate, the game should stay in the stone age. While we are at it, lets do away with pads and helmets.

I guess I don't understand your logic. If bad, game changing calls are acceptable to you, why isn't bad, game changing reviews? Is it just the time that it takes?

If we are going to do away with something, lets do away with 60+ year old officials.

mightysooner
11/13/2006, 04:15 PM
I saw the whole thing unfold and couldn't believe my eyes. It was so pathetic that I saw Coach carrol look across the field at belotti after the reversal and say "f*ck you!, f*ck you!"

Pricetag
11/13/2006, 04:25 PM
The proliferation of old dudes in officiating is definitely a problem, especially in the replay arena. 99 percent of those guys probably have VCRs with 12:00 flashing.

leavingthezoo
11/13/2006, 04:44 PM
I guess I don't understand your logic. If bad, game changing calls are acceptable to you, why isn't bad, game changing reviews?

you can't tell the difference between a bad call made in the moment and a bad call made after several relooks, pauses, fingers pointing, rewinds and further views?

one of 'em you can accept with frustration. the other you just can't accept.

i hate instant replay. it's ruining the rhythm of the game, and doing little to prove its value. (don't forget... even replays are handpicked, and many incidents are overlooked.)

rhombic21
11/13/2006, 04:53 PM
OU could not have re-challenged that ruling, because we were out of timeouts. You must have a timeout in order to challenge a play.

poke4christ
11/13/2006, 04:57 PM
Dang, they need to learn the rules and establish more where it's lacking. Not knowing the rules bit OSU in the but in the Houston game. They challenged forward progress :eek:.

Zach

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 04:58 PM
I think there should be even older replay officials...that way they can't see what would be the incorrect call and may occasionally accidentally make the right call.

BigRedJed
11/13/2006, 05:26 PM
Right, let's never try to improve the game. It doesn't matter that technology can be improved and can be used to make the game more accurate, the game should stay in the stone age. While we are at it, lets do away with pads and helmets.

I guess I don't understand your logic. If bad, game changing calls are acceptable to you, why isn't bad, game changing reviews? Is it just the time that it takes?

If we are going to do away with something, lets do away with 60+ year old officials.
I'm hardly saying we should stay in the stone age. Nice exaggeration.

By your logic, maybe we should add impact-triggered airbags to players' equipment for safety (I'm sure the technology exists), or a one minute timeout between plays so that coaches can run plays through computer simulators before sending them in. I'm sure that will improve playcalling, and by extension the product on the field. How's that for exaggeration?

I'm saying replay hasn't improved the game, and I'm not convinced it can, even if it were always right. In fact, a case can be made that it makes the game worse. Gun-shy officials won't become any less so if they suddenly start getting every replay call right. Different conferences will still always have discrepencies in what they can afford for equipment. Some games will have more cameras than other, hence more opportunity for replay angles. It will always be inherently unfair.

Even superior technology can't weed out the human element, anyway. Officials will still blow calls on the field. Apparently more often now that they think replay will bail them out. Officials in the replay booth will still blow calls, regardless of technology. Except now everyone will be 100X more upset, because they now have the unrealistic expectation that EVERY PLAY will be called perfectly.

And don't underestimate effects from the time it takes. A long review by itself can potentially change the game result by taking momentum away from a surging team. It's artificial. It's inherently unfair when you compare one conference's ability to the next. So far, it hasn't been anywhere near "more accurate," as you say. It only creates the illusion of more accuracy, and when it fails it causes meltdowns of monumental proportions.

It's football. It's a game. It's played by human beings, and should be officiated by them. Put the best people you possibly can on the field, hold them accountable, and get on with playing the game.

And I never said bad, game changing calls are acceptable. I think officials should be held responsible for their calls and fired for colossal ****ups. That's what happens in the real world.

It sucks. Get rid of it.

TexasBoomer
11/13/2006, 05:30 PM
Is it to late to challenge the bad calls in the OU oregon game? There's plenty of proof. Everyone in the world knows OU won the game.

bluedogok
11/13/2006, 05:38 PM
Replay as it is now being used is worthless, it has made officials apprehensive and indecisive and waiting for the blind bat in the belfry to make decisions for them. All replay seems to be used for now is to validate whatever bad call is made on the field, the replay official seems to be afraid to overturn something as if he is afraid to offend his fraternity brothers. The NFL system works a little better as the head guy on the field is the one making the decision and is suppose to be judging it with his own eyes instead of someone hidden away from the public. I think there should be an officials press conference right before the team press conferences. That can fill in the time while the teams get changed.

If they aren't going to actually use it, get rid of it. If they want to use it, fix it and do it right, but I don't really see that happening.

proudsoonergal
11/13/2006, 05:46 PM
Is it to late to challenge the bad calls in the OU oregon game? There's plenty of proof. Everyone in the world knows OU won the game.

Perhaps there is some archaic football rule, found in the cobwebbed depths of the NCAA rulebook, that allows OU to "borrow" a timeout from another game and challenge the call 2 months later. Why not? It makes as much sense as allowing a blatantly wrong decision go unfixed!!!

jwlynn64
11/14/2006, 12:10 AM
I still say get rid of the old guys, make sure the officials you do have actually know the rules, get adequate equipment (my 27" color TV is adequate) with a good number of angles (at least the same amount they show on TV) and use t he system the NFL uses (only challenged plays reviewed unless within 2 minutes to the end of a half or game).

Once that is done, do it a couple of years so everyone becomes accustomed to the rules and then evaluate if it is working. The execution of the review is so poorly done now, that it is unfair to say that it can't help.

It's like someone giving you a run down, broken air plane and you make the decision that flying is impractical because you are always having to work on the plane and something new is always breaking.

Let's use a logical, common sense approach (if you can't tell the result in 60 seconds once you have the feeds, you don't need to change the call) and see how that works.

MamaMia
11/14/2006, 10:10 AM
We need more athletically sound officials on the field. I have never seen so many older fellows in black and white getting in the way of plays and being helped off the field as I have seen recently. If used promptly and correctly by people with IQs in the normal range, instant replay would be a good thing. I'm going to give it some time before I have an opinion on whether or not to do away with it.