PDA

View Full Version : BCS Comparison

tru2ou
11/13/2006, 01:59 PM
Quickly looking at the BCS rankings from Week 1 compared to this week. One thing really stood out.

Wisconsin has played one ranked team, Michigan, and lost 27-13. Other than that, they have not played a ranked opponent. Here are the BCS rankings week by week and who each team played.

Week 1
- Wisconsin #21 (Beat Northwestern 41-9)
- Oklahoma #22 (Beat Iowa State 34-9)

Week 2
- Wisconsin #18 (Beat Minnesota 48-12)
- Oklahoma #19 (Beat Colorado 24-3)

Week 3
- Wisconsin #16 (Beat Purdue 24-3)
- Oklahoma #18 (Beat #23 Missouri 26-10)

Week 4
- Wisconsin #15 (Beat Penn State 13-3)
- Oklahoma #17 (Beat #21 Texas A&M 17-16)

Week 5
- Wisconsin #9 (Beat Iowa 24-21)
- Oklahoma #17 (Beat Texas Tech 34-24)

Ok, who's played the tougher schedule the last 5 weeks? Yes, the Oregon loss is hurting OU right now but why isnt OU right behind Wisconsin still? The BCS makes absolutely no sense based on these stats above. You play a tougher schedule than the team ranked right above you but they move up 12 spots while OU moves up 5. The more I look at this stuff, the less I understand it.

- TRU

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 03:06 PM
Looking only at those #s does make it look stupid!

SoonerLB
11/13/2006, 03:12 PM
The BCS hasn't made a lot of sense since it was installed!

MarylandSooner
11/13/2006, 05:17 PM
Wisconsin is in a very bad position for being a potentiially 11-1 team, they will probably miss out on the BCS because whoever losses between OSU vs Michigan will still be ranked above them and the BCS can only take two teams from a conference. So even though three teams from a conference finish in top ten or twelve in the BSC only two can go.

OK2LA
11/13/2006, 05:22 PM
Maryland Sooner - So Wiskey couldn't go as an "at large" birth? Is that correct? tOSU goes to AZ - Meechigan goes to the Rose Bowl - then Wiskey is left out completely? Interesting.

Also wondering if there is any brain child out there that can figure out what our BCS ranking WOULD be with 1 (ONE) loss instead of 2 - just want to torture myself a little bit this afternoon.

proudsoonergal
11/13/2006, 05:52 PM
Well, I'd guess that part of the reason Wisconsin is ranked so high is because of Michigan. Their loss was to the #2 team in the country, while OU "lost" to Oregon (ranked in the 20s, I believe) and Texas. Other than that, I've got nuthin.

TopDawg
11/13/2006, 05:55 PM
Wisconsin is in a very bad position for being a potentiially 11-1 team, they will probably miss out on the BCS because whoever losses between OSU vs Michigan will still be ranked above them and the BCS can only take two teams from a conference. So even though three teams from a conference finish in top ten or twelve in the BSC only two can go.

Is that still the case this year, when there are 2 more spots (because of the national title game not being a BCS bowl game)?

MarylandSooner
11/13/2006, 06:31 PM
This is a direct quote from the 2007 - 2010 BCS rules and I quote.

"All teams earning automatic berths must be selected. No more than two teams from any single Conference may play in BCS games in a single year, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large picks."

caphorns
11/13/2006, 06:36 PM
Well, I'd guess that part of the reason Wisconsin is ranked so high is because of Michigan. Their loss was to the #2 team in the country, while OU "lost" to Oregon (ranked in the 20s, I believe) and Texas. Other than that, I've got nuthin.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with it. ;)

No question that this week the pollsters looked back into the pack for any 1-loss BCS teams they could find. Wiskey is the suck, but that doesn't matter at this point.

MamaMia
11/13/2006, 07:04 PM
Tranghese was pressured by both USC and Auburn to cut the amount the mathematical computer portion factored in, allowing the bias human polls to count as much more; and all this in a 2 year period. Therein lies the problem.

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 07:14 PM
Well, in that case I hope this is a detriment to both schools over the years. I personally like the mathematical portion, though the parts that are left are hurting us some this year. Most years we are helped by solid facts.

Scott D
11/13/2006, 07:27 PM
what our BCS ranking WOULD be with 1 (ONE) loss instead of 2 - just want to torture myself a little bit this afternoon.

6th to 8th.

sooner518
11/13/2006, 07:52 PM
I just think its weird that they moved up 6 spots by squeaking by Iowa and we don't move any by beating Texas Tech. Weird

SoonerGM
11/13/2006, 08:36 PM
The BCS hasn't made a lot of sense since it was installed!

i was under the impression that the human polls also have an impact on the BCS poll. in that regard, Wisconsin is ranked 12 and 10. i understand that its not as drastic as 9, but it still does not help OU any, and i dont think blame lays entirely at the computers feet.

oh, and i finally found someone talking about OU and the rankings. good ol' Ivan Maisel... what a jerk.

Don't do it, Oklahoma fans. Enjoy the way that coach Bob Stoops has used chewing gum and baling wire to take this injury-riddled team to 8-2. Don't think about the loss at Oregon depriving you of being in the national championship conversation. Even a win at Oregon wouldn't have looked as good as it once did, and the loss to Texas would have kept you out of the Big 12 Championship Game anyway. Don't torture yourself with what-ifs. Enjoy what you have.

here is the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/gamedayFinal?page=gamedayFinal11

i would have started a new thread for this, but i cant for some reason. plus this is somewhat related.