PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix your turkey?

TexasLidig8r
11/13/2006, 01:21 PM
With "The Day" approaching... looking for different recipes for.. the bird.

In the past, I got a fresh bird from Whole Foods (no frozen thank you).. marinated it overnight in salt water. (kosher sea salt)

The next day, stuff it with apples, oranges, onions, parsley, basil, celery seed, a bit of orange juice, put in a turkey bag and cook.

Any ideas for other recipes?

TUSooner
11/13/2006, 01:22 PM
I didn't even know it was broken.

nmsoonergirl
11/13/2006, 01:56 PM
We're frying a fresh one this year (I say "we" but I won't actually be involved). Usually I just brine a fresh one overnight and roast it without any stuffing. I'm nervous about the frying business.

crawfish
11/13/2006, 01:59 PM
Mmmm....turkey.

I usually bug my wife until it's ready.

Jimminy Crimson
11/13/2006, 02:02 PM
I'm nervous about the frying business.

Don't be. Just be careful where you fry it, make sure to measure the oil so you don't overflow, keep the temp. constant, and at 3 min/lb you should be done!

I'm sad I'm not frying one this year -- heading to Vegas for turkey day. :pop:

Penguin
11/13/2006, 02:03 PM
First, you must get the victim naked. If he is a male, you forcibly rip the clothes off. If it is female, you force her to disrobe herself with a gun to her head (or possibly threatening a close relative's life). This is the first step to brainwashing.

royalfan5
11/13/2006, 02:04 PM
my uncle provides a smoked turkey for one side of the family. It's pretty awesome. We have ham on the other side due to the whole being pork producers bit.

Norm In Norman
11/13/2006, 02:05 PM
I smoke mine. i don't brine it or anything. Just some rub.

OUDoc
11/13/2006, 02:06 PM
He's talking about turkey.
Sicko.

IB4OU2
11/13/2006, 02:09 PM
We microwave ours on High for 263 minutes........

crawfish
11/13/2006, 02:15 PM

I've had some trouble getting the turkey flat enough to roll.

Mjcpr
11/13/2006, 02:19 PM
I've had some trouble getting the turkey flat enough to roll.

You have to really pound it.

*cough*

SoonerInKCMO
11/13/2006, 02:26 PM
Hell if I know. I let some woman do that.

VeeJay
11/13/2006, 02:36 PM
One of the benefits of getting married.

T'giving now is going to my bro-in-law's, knocking back a couple of brews, letting the kids run amuck, taking in football, and letting the wimmens take pride in fattening us up. They won't let us in the kitchen.

Before Mrs. VJ came along, T'giving was a 12 pack of Bud and some deli ham.

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 02:45 PM
With "The Day" approaching... looking for different recipes for.. the bird.

In the past, I got a fresh bird from Whole Foods (no frozen thank you).. marinated it overnight in salt water. (kosher sea salt)

The next day, stuff it with apples, oranges, onions, parsley, basil, celery seed, a bit of orange juice, put in a turkey bag and cook.

I combine the above along with Norm's method.

To summarize:

- Brine in SaltH20 (with brown sugar and bourbon)
- Stuff with aromatics
- Sprinkle on rub
- Smoke on the webber

Although this year we are going to some friends house. She is professional chef, so she gets to make most of the stuff. I just will cook what I am told to cook.

crawfish
11/13/2006, 02:47 PM
Hell if I know. I let some woman do that.

Get with the program, dude. :mad:

Mixer!
11/13/2006, 03:04 PM
No more turkey or ham for me.

(gout)

MamaMia
11/13/2006, 03:16 PM
My son is frying a small one this year in his new fryer. I read somewhere, maybe even on this site, that you should first fill the fryer with water to measure how much oil you will need. I've never had fried turkey, so this will be a treat.

As I always do, I'm baking a large turkey with my cornbread stuffing. I don't know why I call it "cornbread" stuffing, since I use half cornbread and half white bread though. :D

soonersweetie
11/13/2006, 03:28 PM
We are smoking one (hubby is in charge of that one) and I'm cooking one in the oven as normal. One in the oven is nothing more than some salt, poultry seasoning, and a stick of butter put inside the cavity, covered with foil and baked for most of the day.

I love turkey day, football and food and football and more food :)

TexasLidig8r
11/13/2006, 03:57 PM
I combine the above along with Norm's method.

To summarize:

- Brine in SaltH20 (with brown sugar and bourbon)
- Stuff with aromatics
- Sprinkle on rub
- Smoke on the webber

How much brown sugar and bourbon do you add to the brine?

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 04:15 PM
How much brown sugar and bourbon do you add to the brine?

A cup of each.

I put a about three cups of water on the stove and bring it to nearly a boil then add in about 3/4 cup of salt and a cup of brown sugar and then let it disolve. I then pour the mixture over a bunch of ice to cool it down. I then add the bourbon after it has cooled. I've heard of folks using dark rum too as well as molasses, maple syrup and various peppercorns in their brines. I usually fix only about a 10-12 lb. bird. If you're working with a 18 lb bird, I would use more sugar, salt and bourbon I suspect.

Check out Alton Brown's recipe. I don't know if it is on the food network web site or on his website. He's full of good ideas, along with more technical know how than you want to hear.

Norm In Norman
11/13/2006, 04:55 PM
If I have the room, I may do a beer butt turkey this year. I can't imagine how good that would be.

Does brining add a lot of flavor? The turkeys I did last year were extra juicy. All I did was put rub on them, fill a pan with water and put the turkey on the grate on top of that. Then I built fire at the other end of my grill (the side fire box is impossible to get to 350 so I used indirect heat), threw some wood on there, and cooked it at 350 like you would in the oven. I think I started breast side down then flipped it over about 2/3 of the way through, but I'd have to check my documentation on that (if I even documented). Boy it looked pretty and tasted ... prettier?

IB4OU2
11/13/2006, 05:06 PM
If I have the room, I may do a beer butt turkey this year. I can't imagine how good that would be.

Does brining add a lot of flavor? The turkeys I did last year were extra juicy. All I did was put rub on them, fill a pan with water and put the turkey on the grate on top of that. Then I built fire at the other end of my grill (the side fire box is impossible to get to 350 so I used indirect heat), threw some wood on there, and cooked it at 350 like you would in the oven. I think I started breast side down then flipped it over about 2/3 of the way through, but I'd have to check my documentation on that (if I even documented). Boy it looked pretty and tasted ... prettier?

I always smoked/cooked mine with the breast up....I may have to try your method.

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 05:17 PM
I think that brineing adds flavor and helps retain moisture in the bird. In my opinion, brineing for 24 hrs. is too long. 12 hours is about right. Keeping the cavity full of fruit keeps it moist too. I have a huge rosemary bush. I trim some sprigs and stuff them into the cavity too.

proud gonzo
11/13/2006, 05:21 PM
there was an episode of Good Eats on last night where Alton Brown explained how to properly and safely fry a turkey.

achiro
11/13/2006, 05:22 PM
Mmmm....turkey.

I usually bug my wife until it's ready.
YMSSA:D

IB4OU2
11/13/2006, 05:26 PM
there was an episode of Good Eats on last night where Alton Brown explained how to properly and safely fry a turkey.

I've done it several times, make sure you have the correct oil level and cooking at the correct frying temperature is the key and this must be done outside in a relatively safe location.

proud gonzo
11/13/2006, 05:30 PM
I wish I could talk my mom into trying turkey like that this year... I don't think she'll do it though :( she fears change :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/13/2006, 05:33 PM
A lady I work with burned her house down a couple of years ago by frying a turkey using too much oil, having the thing too close to their house and doing it on a wooden deck.

Burned it down. On Thanksgiving. That would succ.

BOOM GOES THE TURKEYMITE!!!

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 05:34 PM
I've had a fried turkey before. They are good. But not so good compared to the one's that I have had grilled or roasted to justify the expense or the risk. But that's just my opinion. It was good however. Just not WAY WAY good.

Beef
11/13/2006, 05:36 PM
We would always fry a turkey when we were camping out at NASCAR. So good. And re-heat leftover brisket by frying it in the oil before the turkey. Mmmmmmm....fried brisket.

IB4OU2
11/13/2006, 05:37 PM
I hope I get a free live one dropped from a helicopter by a local radio station....:eek: :D

proud gonzo
11/13/2006, 05:44 PM
heeheeeee :D

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 10:30 PM
With an AWESOME set of tools.

Norm In Norman
11/13/2006, 10:32 PM
I always smoked/cooked mine with the breast up....I may have to try your method.
Well, it seems like my theory was that the juice would stay in the breast longer that way. I can't find where I documented what i did though.

olevetonahill
11/13/2006, 10:49 PM
So many jokes so little time.
People are you reading what you post ?
On the S.O . ???????:D :D :D :D :D :D

BudSooner
11/13/2006, 10:54 PM
first off, ya gotta catch one and then ya gotta clip the turkeys giblets reallllllly close.

oh, you meant how do you cook it. fried...is there any other way?

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 11:07 PM
Alton Brown on brine:

Alton Brown (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_hd_thanksgiving/text/0,1972,FOOD_9845_54406,00.html?video=http://wms.scripps.com/foodtv/thanksgiving/61007.wmv&lclevel=et_hd_thanksgiving/)

GottaHavePride
11/13/2006, 11:08 PM
I've had a fried turkey before. They are good. But not so good compared to the one's that I have had grilled or roasted to justify the expense or the risk. But that's just my opinion. It was good however. Just not WAY WAY good.

A few years ago a friend of mine fried two for a Superbowl watch party. The first one was good. The second one, coming out of turkey-flavored seasoned oil? Un-freakin'-believable.

StoopTroup
11/13/2006, 11:24 PM

Lid...

Do you pluck your own turkey?

http://www.aaoutfitter.com/images/Spring%202006/barry-fisher-4-2-06.jpg

BeetDigger
11/14/2006, 12:15 AM
A few years ago a friend of mine fried two for a Superbowl watch party. The first one was good. The second one, coming out of turkey-flavored seasoned oil? Un-freakin'-believable.

My sample probably wasn't as good as those. Of course, no one on here has sampled one of my brined/smoked masterpieces. And the next day, oh, let me tell you - goodness does not describe the flavor. Smoky, sweet wonderfulness.

VeeJay
11/14/2006, 08:19 AM
A lady I work with burned her house down a couple of years ago by frying a turkey using too much oil, having the thing too close to their house and doing it on a wooden deck.

Burned it down. On Thanksgiving. That would succ.

BOOM GOES THE TURKEYMITE!!!

Hillbilly Post Of The Week!

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/14/2006, 12:17 PM
I am bothered by Norm's repeated mentioning of 'documenting' things.

:norm:

IB4OU2
11/14/2006, 12:36 PM
Lid...

Do you pluck your own turkey?

http://www.aaoutfitter.com/images/Spring%202006/barry-fisher-4-2-06.jpg

Pfft..Lid?.....eyebrows maybe.

Nice bird ST...