PDA

View Full Version : Why Oklahoma (the state) is better than Texas

1991SOONER
11/13/2006, 12:26 PM
Ok Soons, I've got a problem.

Sorry, I know this alittle off topic from football, but....

Everytime these whorn fans can't win a football argument they pull out the "well...Oklahoma (the state) sucks, I would never move there". Then they start with all the hick jokes and inbred jokes, and we'll, you get the idea. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.:rolleyes:

I am in Houston for financial reasons and simply there are more white collar jobs here. Otherwise, I'd just soon move back. But I need more ammunition next time they ignorantly say that Texas is better than Oklahoma.

99% of these people have never been to Oklahoma and so they are working off stereotypes and just plain talking out of their a s s as we know Texans always like to do (they can't help it).

Oklahoma, IMO, is a beautiful state, best overall atmosphere, friendliest people, etc etc. But I need more examples of why Oklahoma is better than Texas.

I'm not really saying that OK is better than TX, I'm just saying that Oklahoma definitely has strengths that Texas does not.

Lakes are one example. Most of the lakes in Texas are pathetic. And Oklahoma lakes absolutely blow away most of the lakes in Texas I've been to. Lake Travis is the only one I've been to that resembles a good lake. And lake Lewisville resembles an "average" lake in Oklahoma. The rest of the lakes (that I have been to) in Texas are complete garbage dumps.

So how about it. In what ways is OK better than TX???

Stoop Dawg
11/13/2006, 12:29 PM
My advice: steer clear of debates you can't win.

XingTheRubicon
11/13/2006, 12:44 PM
A good portion of the posters here are just Sooner fans, not Oklahoma fans.

and if you live in Houston and want ammo against TX, just go look out your window.

SoonerJLB
11/13/2006, 01:02 PM
Quote: I am in Houston for financial reasons and simply there are more white collar jobs here. Otherwise, I'd just soon move back

I think this part is the main reason the Texas may get the edge. Personally, for me I never have liked OKC and would never live there (too flat and spread out with the red dirt everywhere). Saying Dallas is pretty much the same as OKC but much bigger. I grew up (from 3rd grade on) in Tulsa and I wouldn't mind living there but the job market is not great.

SoonerJason
11/13/2006, 01:06 PM
Tulsa has the Channels!! (well.. not yet) hehe

http://tulsachannels.com

sooner518
11/13/2006, 01:14 PM
Big cities in Texas = nasty *** suburban sprawl.

The fact that Texans actually care that much about describing why Texas is the best state in the country is reason enough for me to not ever want to live there.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/13/2006, 01:23 PM
For me, TEXAS SUX is reason enough.

soonerinabilene
11/13/2006, 01:24 PM
the quality of the highways will always give texas something to hang over oklahoma's head until they actually put the toll money towards, say, fixing the roads.

1991SOONER
11/13/2006, 01:42 PM
A good portion of the posters here are just Sooner fans, not Oklahoma fans.

and if you live in Houston and want ammo against TX, just go look out your window.

Exactly, but the money is good here. Enough so, I'm willing to sniff someones else exhaust pipe in a Houston traffic jam. Go figure...

blackbeauty02
11/13/2006, 01:43 PM
Um...I can't believe none of you have stated the obvious.

Not everything is bigger in Texas [Oklahoma sooner fans pointing and laughing at a Texas fan at nudist colony]

blackbeauty02
11/13/2006, 01:43 PM
Texas has dry counties...every time I go there it takes us 30 minutes to get beer

P.S. I wouldn't debate over which state is better. I would go with the schools b/c OU is by far better than Texass.

Funky G
11/13/2006, 01:51 PM
Women in Texas are much easier. And, that's not counting the Mexicans..

1991SOONER
11/13/2006, 01:53 PM
Women in Texas are much easier. And, that's not counting the Mexicans..

true.....true.....(and another reason why I'm down here) :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/13/2006, 01:56 PM
Women in Texas are much easier. And, that's not counting the Mexicans..Good one!!!

BIG_IKE
11/13/2006, 02:05 PM
umm.....this may be a losing battle. The Whorn fans suck, but as a state Texas is one of the better places to live in the country.

And what LAKES have YOU been going to? I take it you have never been to the Piney Woods in East Texas. I can't believe you mentioned "LAKE TRAVIS"...wow...that lake is nothing compared to the huge ones in East Texas.

1991SOONER
11/13/2006, 02:12 PM
umm.....this may be a losing battle. The Whorn fans suck, but as a state Texas is one of the better places to live in the country.

And what LAKES have YOU been going to? I take it you have never been to the Piney Woods in East Texas. I can't believe you mentioned "LAKE TRAVIS"...wow...that lake is nothing compared to the huge ones in East Texas.

Well, thats the best one I've been to, and I agree, thats not really saying much. I don't get out to east Texas much because I can't hardly understand what people are saying there :D

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 03:05 PM
It's a rather sad truth for this argument, but out of countless places I've lived and visited in Tejas, Austin was the only one I'd wanna live in again!

The whorn fans suck, but it's so fun to screw with them!

BoomerSooner97
11/13/2006, 03:12 PM
Don't worry about who thinks what... I prefer that everyone doesn't think Oklahoma has much to offer. It keeps them OUT!!
Oklahoma has a lot to offer. Cheap cost of living, beautiful natuaral areas, kind people etc... People just don't know and when they have no clue they critizise as if they had one. Let 'em!
Look what happened to Colorado. 25 years ago it was beautiful, pristine nature... Now it's paved over and overrun with Texans and Californians, cost of living/real estate is through the roof. It's not the same and it never will be.

There's no need to have an inferiority complex (like Texans) and always try to degrade other states. Lets enjoy what we have.

Stoop Dawg
11/13/2006, 03:14 PM

Not to mention that really big body of water on the Southeast side of the state. That seems to be something of an attraction as well.

TUSooner
11/13/2006, 03:18 PM
The fact that Texans actually care that much about describing why Texas is the best state in the country is reason enough for me to not ever want to live there.

That's it!
Just say, "OK is better because Texas is full of TEXANS."
You win !

DISCLAIMER: After living in Louisiana for way too long, I've come to like Texas because it's more like Oklahoma than Louisiana is.

PDTsooner
11/13/2006, 03:24 PM
I lived in Austin from nov 96 to dec 2002. I could not wait to get back home to Oklahoma. I don't care what it pays I'm not going back. As far as Houston you better be looking at seven figures to make up for the crappy quality of living. That place is a **** hole. I think any time it rains 44" within 24 hours in a place that flat God is trying to tell you something. GET OUT!!!

Half a Hundred
11/13/2006, 03:24 PM
Well, one thing that's for sure is that Texas, by and large, gets NO fall colors whatsoever. Sure, there may be the odd red tree, but the rest of trees turn ugly yellow and brown. Eastern Oklahoma in the fall has the whole state of TX beat, I promise!

Duke o Brewery
11/13/2006, 04:26 PM
The single most glaring reason why Oklahoma is a better place than texas is simply because texas is full of TEXANS! Now, I'm not saying ALL texans are bad so don't start in on that crap, but I am saying that MOST texans are arrogant, ignorant, loudmouthed, braggart fools. You can look back throughout the history of their state and you will find VAST numbers of people from across the country who encountered texans and came away hating them for their utter lack of character and class. Interestingly, some of the least popular units within the confederate army during the civil war were comprised of texans who alienated their fellow southerners with incessant bigmouthed bragging, and condescension.

E.B. Sledge, in his famous autobiographical book "With the Old Breed", about WWII in the pacific, wrote home about how appalled he was by the arragant attitude of most of the marines he met from the state of texas.

None of this is really useful in an argument, but what I'm saying is that the reason I and many, many other Oklahomans despise the republic to our south is not because of their beautiful and thriving state, but because, on average, they as a people are not worthy of it. I think if you'll look through history you'll find the opposite to be true of Oklahomans, who have long been praised as humble, brave, generous, and kind people who are of exemplary character and attitude.

I've met several good texans in my lifetime whom I respected and called friends...
but they were few and very far between.

Let me end with a couple good quotes:

"I've spent most of my life living in cities where people are obsessed with looking down on people from everywhere else. You get so used to doing it that you start to believe it's simply what everyone does. It makes for an atmosphere of unwelcome that penetrates much of our modern life. It's a shame really because a couple days in Oklahoma will open your eyes to how much better it would be if the rest of the country was filled with a few more people from Oklahoma."
-Adam Duritz (Counting Crows)

"If I owned Hell and Texas I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."
--General Phil Sheridan, 1860's/70's

tbl
11/13/2006, 04:46 PM
My advice: steer clear of debates you can't win.
Yup. I was born and raised in Oklahoma, but as an adult I would definitely prefer DFW over anywhere in OK, any day of the week. Texas as a state is awesome. Their university succs

poke4christ
11/13/2006, 04:51 PM
Here here, I'm living in Greenville, TX right now (working a student Co-Op) and I really miss Oklahoma. Oh, and I'm living in one of those dry counties. If I want anything, its at least a hour round trip.

Zach

BHud
11/13/2006, 04:51 PM
E.B. Sledge, in his famous autobiographical book "With the Old Breed", about WWII in the pacific, wrote home about how appalled he was by the arragant attitude of most of the marines he met from the state of texas.

You obviously haven't been around many Marines (notice the M in the uppercase position? They aren't soldiers or sailors, they are Marines, and they deserve some respect.)

That comment is more reflective toward Marines than the state of TX. Never met a Marine that wasnt a cocky sob.....but they gotta be, to do that kinda job.

Duke o Brewery
11/13/2006, 05:07 PM
You obviously haven't been around many Marines (notice the M in the uppercase position? They aren't soldiers or sailors, they are Marines, and they deserve some respect.)

That comment is more reflective toward Marines than the state of TX. Never met a Marine that wasnt a cocky sob.....but they gotta be, to do that kinda job.

I don't mention this to disrespect U.S. Marines. And if there were capitalization errors blame my typing skills, not my intentions.
Don't get me wrong. Many Marines are cocky, aggressive and proud, and they have a right to be. I've only had the honor to spend considerable time with one Marine, a Master Sergeant and Recon Ranger who served in Granada and the Persian Gulf. He was the assistant Naval Science instructor for my highschool J.R.O.T.C. and I learned from him for 4 years. He was a good, kind, professional, and dignified man who was immensely proud of The Corps, but he wasn't what I would call arrogant.

I'm simply relaying how Sledge, a Marine who fought on Peleliu and Okinawa, said he and the Marines in his unit felt about most, but not all of the texans they served with. They felt that those texans condescended to their fellow Marines and were bragging non-stop about their state and it's supposedly superior qualities. As a student of history I have found this to be a common thread with texans in all walks of life throughout history. I hope this has cleared up the misunderstanding.

BHud
11/13/2006, 06:44 PM
I hear ya. I'm former USN, and served with a lot of Marines, my brother included....and I assure you, they are arrogant...and they have every right to be. (I know it's gonna blow some of ya'lls stereotypes about Horn fans, but not only am I straight, but I served in the Navy, and I vote straight ticket Republican. Hell, my son's name is Reagan Landry, named after The President and The Coach.)

Texans are proud of their state, Oklahomans are proud of their state. It is a bit funny that my fellow Texans are getting their nuts busted for being proud of their state, when the purpose of this thread, is to give reasons why Oklahoma is better than Texas.

Texas is better than Oklahoma for the following reason, and to hell with everything else: I can go to the beer store, and buy 6.0+ beer. If I try to do that in Oklahoma, I walk away with 3.2% beer.
;)

I don't mention this to disrespect U.S. Marines. And if there were capitalization errors blame my typing skills, not my intentions.
Don't get me wrong. Many Marines are cocky, aggressive and proud, and they have a right to be. I've only had the honor to spend considerable time with one Marine, a Master Sergeant and Recon Ranger who served in Granada and the Persian Gulf. He was the assistant Naval Science instructor for my highschool J.R.O.T.C. and I learned from him for 4 years. He was a good, kind, professional, and dignified man who was immensely proud of The Corps, but he wasn't what I would call arrogant.

I'm simply relaying how Sledge, a Marine who fought on Peleliu and Okinawa, said he and the Marines in his unit felt about most, but not all of the texans they served with. They felt that those texans condescended to their fellow Marines and were bragging non-stop about their state and it's supposedly superior qualities. As a student of history I have found this to be a common thread with texans in all walks of life throughout history. I hope this has cleared up the misunderstanding.

jigglymonkey
11/13/2006, 06:52 PM
My Bro in law lives in Garland, and there is now way me or my wife would move down to the DFW area. There is just waaay to many people. Cant walk twenty feet without being in someones way.
I grew up in Norman and now live in Tulsa. One of the coolest things about Tulsa is that you can get anywhere up here in 20 minutes and this city has just about everything that i would ever need. I've always heard that Austin is a cool place though

Stoop Dawg
11/13/2006, 06:55 PM
Texas is better than Oklahoma for the following reason, and to hell with everything else: I can go to the beer store, and buy 6.0+ beer. If I try to do that in Oklahoma, I walk away with 3.2% beer.
;)

Well, technically, that depends on how you define "Beer Store". You can buy almost any beer imaginable at a "Liquor Store". The only condition is that it be sold at "room temperature" - which knocks out a few beers (most notably Fat Tire).

However, in general, I get your drift and agree that it's a stupid law.

BOOMERBRADLEY
11/13/2006, 07:01 PM
Who cares really? I am proud to be from Oklahoma just like they are proud to be from Texas. I was born in Texas and will be proud of that too I guess.

Point being, just be proud of whatever situation you have and make the best of it because it always makes great conversation in life :)

BHud
11/13/2006, 07:05 PM
We split a 12 of Fat Tire last night.....great stuff!

That room temp law is just ridiculous. Hell, a lot of the good, potent dark beers taste just fine at room temp, anyways.

Then again, Texas has its share of dumb liquor laws. Irving, for example, can sell in restraunts, but cants sell at stores, but all the cities around them sell beer and/or liquor. So, if you're in Irving you have to drive to another city to buy booze...seems like THAT is more likely to increase DWIs, although it isnt an excuse......but people dont make the best decisions after drinking, ya know?

Well, technically, that depends on how you define "Beer Store". You can buy almost any beer imaginable at a "Liquor Store". The only condition is that it be sold at "room temperature" - which knocks out a few beers (most notably Fat Tire).

However, in general, I get your drift and agree that it's a stupid law.