PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic Stat: Fumbles Lost

Pepper
11/13/2006, 12:09 AM
OU is now ranked 116th in the nation for fumbles lost. OU is tied with Baylor and just ahead of Illinois and New Mexico State with 17 fumbles lost on the year. I think OU would be undefeated if they could hold on to the football.

SOONER44EVER
11/13/2006, 01:10 AM
OU is now ranked 116th in the nation for fumbles lost. OU is tied with Baylor and just ahead of Illinois and New Mexico State with 17 fumbles lost on the year. I think OU would be undefeated if they could hold on to the football.
We do fumble way too much. We surely would have beaten Texas but theres no way they were gonna let us leave Oregon with a W.

Texas Golfer
11/13/2006, 01:27 AM
We turned the ball over 5 times against UT and 4 times against TT. We could only imagine where we'd be if we didn't turn the ball over so often.

StoopTroup
11/13/2006, 01:53 AM
We could only imagine where we'd be if we didn't turn the ball over so often.
9-1 and with winning out....

Playing ND in a BCS Bowl?

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 02:21 AM
A statistical analysis of won-loss predictors has shown that fumbles lost have a very low correlation to outcome.

Interceptions, however, have a very high correlation.

They posted some stuff on this at the beginning of the year on ESPN.com, I'll try to find a link tomorrow.

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 02:42 AM
That's a strange correlation...you'd think a turnover is a turnover..

Must be some psychological factors involved in that.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 02:50 AM
I think there's a couple of factors involved.

First, fumbles are rarely forced errors-the guy just drops the ball. Interceptions are always forced.

Second, fumbles are rarely returned for scores or significant change in field position. Guy usually just flops on it. Interceptions, however, frequently result in a runback.

Think about how much we used to fumble under Barry-it was unreal.

Look at the 2003 season-which two games did we lose? The ones where we got picked off several times.

soonerboomer93
11/13/2006, 03:14 AM
I hear the refs caused the fumbles.

tommieharris91
11/13/2006, 03:19 AM
I remember seeing a stat about NFL games. It was something like: teams that lose the turnover margin within a game lost 85% of those games. Granted, this is an NFL stat, but over anything else, teams cannot turn over the ball often and win. Teams with defenses that draw a lot of turnovers will win more often than they lose.

OU this year is -2 in turnover margin this year, having given the ball away 23 times (17 on fumbles) while taking the ball away 21 times (recovering 9 fumbles by our opponents). Kind of an anomaly for an 8-2 team, although we can attribute one of our two losses to giving up the ball 5 times.

In the Oregon game, OU was +3 (truly +4) in turnover margin. That is how we came back in that game from being 13 down to win 33-27.

Man, I hate Gordon Riese and Pac-10 refs in general.

Sooner98
11/13/2006, 09:19 AM
We would have a higher turnover margin if we wouldn't have so many dang dropped interceptions. We had at least three the other night. Doesn't it seem like this has happened a lot the last few years?

Pricetag
11/13/2006, 10:24 AM
We would have a higher turnover margin if we wouldn't have so many dang dropped interceptions. We had at least three the other night. Doesn't it seem like this has happened a lot the last few years?
Oh yeah. There have been tons of drops by the DBs.

Fraggle145
11/13/2006, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah. There have been tons of drops by the DBs.

Thats why they are DBs and not WRs... although our recievers have been dropping a lot of balls lately as well.

Pepper
11/18/2006, 07:30 PM
Looks like we will be in sole possession of worst team in the NCAA for fumbling after that performance against Baylor.

OU-HSV
11/18/2006, 08:04 PM
Yep, we're lucky to win games win we turn the ball over like we have the last couple of weeks. But on the same note, that says a lot for the team being able to fight through it all. Or it just says a lot for our defense anyways.

Prodigal
11/18/2006, 09:21 PM
Interceptions correlate more to losses because of how many late interceptions happen when inferior teams try to come back from deficits.

The losses are causing the interceptions as much as the other way around.

Frozen Sooner
11/18/2006, 09:24 PM
Interceptions correlate more to losses because of how many late interceptions happen when inferior teams try to come back from deficits.

The losses are causing the interceptions as much as the other way around.

That's a great point.

Confusing correlation with causality. It's my stock in trade. :D

Fraggle145
11/19/2006, 01:24 AM
No matter what this is becoming an annoying stat... I think all of the skill players need to take balls to class with them or something. this ball security issue is just ridiculous.

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 01:26 AM
They don't take their balls to class? Don't let my wife hear that there's some way to leave them home.

sanantoniosooner
11/19/2006, 01:30 AM
One reason all the turnovers hasn't killed us is that we're about even on give/takes, but we have kicked butt on points off TOs while not giving up much.

The showed the stat during the game last week during the game.

Fraggle145
11/19/2006, 01:32 AM
That cant last forever and imagine how much beter we would be without thos turnovers... This stat is similiar to what our turnover stat was in 2003 (I think). just sayin..

Crucifax Autumn
11/19/2006, 01:33 AM
I saw that too...They showed it right before a score off a turnover if I remember right...

The secret is to broadcast all our games without announcers and we'll win evry game for eternity.

Texas Golfer
11/19/2006, 01:33 AM
I think we have more giveaways than any other team in the Big XII!

BoomerSooner247
11/19/2006, 02:11 AM
They don't take their balls to class? Don't let my wife hear that there's some way to leave them home.which one is your wife in your avatar? the one with brown hair or the one with red hair? :D :P

oh and my solution to our TO prob... paint everyone's hand, on offense, that will touch the with super glue, except for PT of course :)

OU-HSV
11/19/2006, 08:34 AM
One reason all the turnovers hasn't killed us is that we're about even on give/takes, but we have kicked butt on points off TOs while not giving up much.

The showed the stat during the game last week during the game.
SAS are you sure it was during the game during the game....or was it just during the game?;) :D

sanantoniosooner
11/19/2006, 09:23 AM
I'm pretty sure it was during the game.

OU-HSV
11/19/2006, 09:35 AM
heh

OKC-SLC
11/19/2006, 10:06 AM
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamfumlost&site=org

#118, tied with Illinois.

by the way, we're #10 nationally in total defense.