PDA

View Full Version : Why in the hell did Leach ...?

TrophyCollector
11/12/2006, 11:32 PM
get two challenges in the game? On the second one, I was standing up and screaming, "he already used it, he already used it" and most of the people in my section were truning around and looking at me like I was crazy. People were saying he won the first one, so he can challenge again.

Not so, NCAA rules clearly state "Each team may challenge once per game".

I forgive my fellow fans, by why do the officials not know the ****ing rules???

I was for replay at first, but I did not know that it would be so freaking inept and seemingly USELESS in overturning bad calls against OU.

F instant replay and dumb officials.

sanantoniosooner
11/12/2006, 11:34 PM
He didn't.

The first was the replay official calling for the replay.

TrophyCollector
11/12/2006, 11:37 PM
I was not drinking and I clearly heard the ref announce in the stadium that "Texas Tech is challenging the call on the field" two times. Once on the Paul Thompson scramble when his ran for a few yard after his knee touched and once on the Zaslaw catch to the 5.

sanantoniosooner
11/12/2006, 11:39 PM
I was not drinking and I clearly heard the ref announce in the stadium that "Texas Tech is challenging the call on the field" two times. Once on the Paul Thompson scramble when his ran for a few yard after his knee touched and once on the Zaslaw catch to the 5.
They clarified it on the television broadcast.

The ref misspoke.

IronSooner
11/12/2006, 11:41 PM
Yep. After giving the results of the review, the ref said Tech would not be charged with a timeout. Which is true, but true because it was a review by the booth, not a challenge by Tech.

TrophyCollector
11/12/2006, 11:41 PM
They clarified it on the television broadcast.

The ref misspoke.

Alright, then I guess the ref is only 1/2 a jack ***. Thanks for clearing it up since I haven't seen the TV version yet.

Rhino
11/12/2006, 11:43 PM
I wondered that too. Glad they cleared it up on TV.

And since when is an offensive lineman shuffling his feet before the ball is snapped NOT false starting? Tech's LG did that multiple times. About five people in my section saw him do it on one play.

TrophyCollector
11/12/2006, 11:43 PM
Yep. After giving the results of the review, the ref said Tech would not be charged with a timeout. Which is true, but true because it was a review by the booth, not a challenge by Tech.

They wouldn't have been charged with a TO anyway since they won the challenge so this didn't really help clarify anything to those inside the stadium.

TrophyCollector
11/12/2006, 11:45 PM
And since when is an offensive lineman shuffling his feet before the ball is snapped NOT false starting? Tech's LG did that multiple times. About five people in my section saw him do it on one play.

I saw that twice myself and started the standard "clap for penalty" procedure only to be left with a WTF.

Crucifax Autumn
11/13/2006, 12:00 AM
The refs are always whole jackasses...this just didn't add as much as it could have to that well-founded truth.

Paperclip
11/13/2006, 12:01 AM
Funny thing about the Thompson knee challenge is they spotted the ball on the wrong 47. His knee went down at the OU 47, but they marked it at the Tech 47. We "gained" six yards on that sack.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 12:07 AM
Funny thing about the Thompson knee challenge is they spotted the ball on the wrong 47. His knee went down at the OU 47, but they marked it at the Tech 47. We "gained" six yards on that sack.

PT is such a stud that he's 18 feet from knee to shoulder.

jk the sooner fan
11/13/2006, 12:25 AM
another thing i saw the Tech linemen do a couple of times was some sort of arm swing right before the snap......no idea what the hell they were doing, but it was never called as a penalty

Texas Golfer
11/13/2006, 12:32 AM
The officiating this past two years has been nothing short of incompetent.

TopDawg
11/13/2006, 12:44 AM
another thing i saw the Tech linemen do a couple of times was some sort of arm swing right before the snap......no idea what the hell they were doing, but it was never called as a penalty

I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're talking about, but I noticed several times when they were pointing out who they were going to be picking up. They were in motion, pointing out the linebackers when the ball was snapped, yet no penalty.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 01:04 AM
Here's the dealio on that:

It is a false start to make movements with your hands before the snap after you have placed a hand on the ground.

Tech linemen use the two-point stance. Therefore, no penalty.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 01:07 AM
(c) A lineman between the snapper and the player on the end of the
line, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground (below
the knees), moving his hand(s) or making any quick movement;
or a lineman other than the snapper wearing number 50 through
79, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the ground (below the
knees), moving his hand(s) or making any quick movement (A.R.
7-1-3-VII, VIII, X and XI).
Exception: It is not a false start if any player on the line of
scrimmage immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B
player in the neutral zone (Rule 7-1-5-a-2) (A.R. 7-1-3-VIII and
IX).
(d) An offensive player between the snapper and the player on the
end of the line, neither legally in the backfield nor legally on the
line of scrimmage, after having placed a hand(s) on or near the
ground (below the knees), moving his hand(s) or making any
quick movement.

There you go.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 01:08 AM
You see offensive players on punt teams point out their blocking assignments all the time, by the way.

Ash
11/13/2006, 08:26 AM
Hmm. Interesting. Don't you still have to be "set"? My friend and I saw the same thing I think the others did. The Tech lineman, from my view, seemed to break the stance (stand up straight) turn their heads around, etc. Not just point for blocking assignments when the ball was snapped. Is that not at least illegal procedure or shift - since they didn't get set again?

TopDawg
11/13/2006, 09:17 AM
You see offensive players on punt teams point out their blocking assignments all the time, by the way.

Yeah, but they ususally stop for a split second (at least) before the ball is snapped.

I didn't know that about the hand on the ground thing, though. What does a lineman in a standing position have to do to get called for a false start?

sanantoniosooner
11/13/2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah, but they ususally stop for a split second (at least) before the ball is snapped.

I didn't know that about the hand on the ground thing, though. What does a lineman in a standing position have to do to get called for a false start?
anything that you would do at the snap of the ball.

Lurch/step forward or rock/step back.

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 11:28 AM
Yep. Pretty much at that point "Simulation of the snap" is what gets you a false start penalty.