PDA

View Full Version : TW: "The Picker"

goingoneight
11/12/2006, 09:50 PM
Does anyone aside from me think that this segment of the aggie rag is blatantly written to pi$s off OU fans.

OSU by 10 against OU??? On what f*cking grounds? The nail biter against almighty Houston? The big victory over Baylor? The historic non-conference blowout of overrated high school scout teams?

And what is this about ripping Bob Stoops coaching job? "A lot of talk has been heard of Bob Stoops being the Big 12 and National Coach of the Year, this is the most ridiculous thing we've ever heard, and we've heard some ridiculous things..."

There is no longer any doubt in my mind that the BCS has become a popularity contest and OU can only hope to get local respect unless they're undefeated.

Boomer.....
11/13/2006, 08:17 AM
You can't let any of the crap that he writes get to you. All he is there for is to stir up peoples emotions.

TopDawg
11/13/2006, 09:19 AM
Maybe it's based on the fact that they always play us tough in Stillwater.

Tear Down This Wall
11/13/2006, 09:39 AM
Once again, Tulsa is closer to Stillwater than Norman. What else do you expect?

By the way, I wouldn't have Stoops anywhere near coach of the year either. The guy at Rutgers is the coach of the year. Right behind him is the guy at Kansas State.

Stoops would be coach of the year if could have figured out D.J. Wolfe was not a cornerback before he got torched, for the second consecutive year, against Texas. It's the stupidest coaching move Stoops ever made, almost on par with his Gary Gibbs-like tossing ENA aside after one game last year for Bomar.

Stoops has been an excellent coach for sure. But, over the last two years he's made some questionable decisions personnel-wise that have cost us games (Wolfe burned for TDs last year and this year), and put us in a bad spotlight (Bomar, Quinn).

Also, I'll finish by telling you the same thing about the Tulsa World I tell people down here about the Dallas Morning News - if you don't like it, don't read it. It's simple. This isn't the Soviet Union shoving The Pravda down everyone's throat. Just get your news off the internet and quit complaining about a news source that will be extinct within 10 years anyway.

Widescreen
11/13/2006, 09:55 AM
...and put us in a bad spotlight (Bomar, Quinn).
So you're pinning that on Stoops? You sound like some of the people at texags.

Rocker
11/13/2006, 10:00 AM
THE PICKER played Baseball @ OU its all an ACT!

bri
11/13/2006, 10:07 AM
Once again, Tulsa is closer to Stillwater than Norman. What else do you expect?

By the way, I wouldn't have Stoops anywhere near coach of the year either. The guy at Rutgers is the coach of the year. Right behind him is the guy at Kansas State.

Stoops would be coach of the year if could have figured out D.J. Wolfe was not a cornerback before he got torched, for the second consecutive year, against Texas. It's the stupidest coaching move Stoops ever made, almost on par with his Gary Gibbs-like tossing ENA aside after one game last year for Bomar.

Stoops has been an excellent coach for sure. But, over the last two years he's made some questionable decisions personnel-wise that have cost us games (Wolfe burned for TDs last year and this year), and put us in a bad spotlight (Bomar, Quinn).

Also, I'll finish by telling you the same thing about the Tulsa World I tell people down here about the Dallas Morning News - if you don't like it, don't read it. It's simple. This isn't the Soviet Union shoving The Pravda down everyone's throat. Just get your news off the internet and quit complaining about a news source that will be extinct within 10 years anyway.

Yes, DJ Wolfe gets beaten on the deep ball. Duly noted. Now shut it before you get a 3-day pass to "Maybe I Shouldn't Have Incessantly Bashed A Player Land"

And if you don't think the job that Bob has done this year, after EVERYTHING that's happened to us (Big Red-Gate, Ref-Gate, Collarbone-Gate, Ankle-Gate...) and STILL having us in a position to finish 10-2 and be playing in a New Year's Day bowl isn't praise-worthy...well, that's short-bus material right there.

Pricetag
11/13/2006, 10:07 AM
And what is this about ripping Bob Stoops coaching job? "A lot of talk has been heard of Bob Stoops being the Big 12 and National Coach of the Year, this is the most ridiculous thing we've ever heard, and we've heard some ridiculous things..."
Which week did he say that? It wasn't last week. All he said was that you should wait until the end of the year to name the coach of the year, and that if OU wins out, he'd put him right up there, but if he can't beat Texas or OSU in a given year, such an honor is undeserved, and I agree.

The Picker is hard on OU, but only because they've consistently been the best in college football in the state. He goes overboard sometimes, but a good amount of time, he's pretty close to the mark. By the way, he said he reserved the right to change that pick the week before the game.

He's busted on OSU pretty much every week this year when the hype machine started trying to crank up after this or that victory over a mediocre opponent. That was part of his assertion that the OU game is so huge for OSU, since he said a 6-6 record shouldn't even get you a bowl.

Tear Down This Wall
11/13/2006, 10:10 AM
So you're pinning that on Stoops? You sound like some of the people at texags.

Yes. He's the coach. The car dealership thing wasn't the first public Bomar incident, but simply the final straw.

ENA got screwed last year because the O-line played like crap against TCU - and against damn near everyone. ENA is a good QB this year. If he'd had a full year under his belt, it may not have mattered that Stoops hadn't recruited enough real corners over four signing periods to allow D.J. Wolfe to remain at tailback - or that he let his strength and conditioning coach run off 13 linemen six years.

ENA is level-headed on and off the field. Bomar was a constant embarassment that Stoops let stay as one of the faces of the team. Newflash - Bob Stoops is the head coach, fair or not, whatever happens regarding the player's on the roster is a reflection on him. That's part of being head coach. Switzer didn't make Thompson sell cocaine, but he was blamed for it anyway.

Tear Down This Wall
11/13/2006, 10:20 AM
Yes, DJ Wolfe gets beaten on the deep ball. Duly noted. Now shut it before you get a 3-day pass to "Maybe I Shouldn't Have Incessantly Bashed A Player Land"

And if you don't think the job that Bob has done this year, after EVERYTHING that's happened to us (Big Red-Gate, Ref-Gate, Collarbone-Gate, Ankle-Gate...) and STILL having us in a position to finish 10-2 and be playing in a New Year's Day bowl isn't praise-worthy...well, that's short-bus material right there.

I'm not bashing Wolfe. It's not his fault he was out there. It was the coaches. And, if they'd figured out he was in over his head in 2005, they wouldn't have had him out there in 2006.

I've said repeatedly that Wolfe was put in a bad position. He's a team guy and tried to help. But, the coaching staff let the charade go on far too long.

Now, they've reduced the former Oklahoma Gatorade Player of the Year to gunner on punt returns. That's not a bash on a player, that's simply calling out the coaching staff for their misuse, and blatant misuse, of a player.

Finally, if disagreements about personnel garner banning now, this place will be no better than hornfans.com. Don't be so thin-skinned. We're in a position to be 10-2 because we have the right guy at QB now. No one is above reproach about what has happened re: the QB job in 2005, the lack of recruiting CBs from 2001-2004, and the loss of 13 offensive linemen from 2001-2006.

You may have a different point of view. But, the last time I checked, this wasn't a forum where we all simply smile like vacant morons if we disagree with an opinion.

bri
11/13/2006, 10:36 AM
Oh good, I was hoping the obligatory "this place is like hornfans.com!" comment would come out.

If the coaches suck so much, then you can come up with more than the same three examples of said suckage. I'm sure that Soonerus merely felt that it was "the coaches' fault" that Nate Hybl was our quarterback in 2001 and wasn't really constantly bashing the kid at all...

Tear Down This Wall
11/13/2006, 11:07 AM
Oh good, I was hoping the obligatory "this place is like hornfans.com!" comment would come out.

If the coaches suck so much, then you can come up with more than the same three examples of said suckage. I'm sure that Soonerus merely felt that it was "the coaches' fault" that Nate Hybl was our quarterback in 2001 and wasn't really constantly bashing the kid at all...

That doesn't make any sense. Soonerus hated Hybl and never complimented him. I hate what the coaches did with D.J. Wolfe. They misused his talent and continue to misuse his talent.

In fact, I've posted that the coaching staff owes it to Wolfe to let him compete for the tailback job next year. For you to read into it a slam against Wolfe is to purposely disregard the intent of the post.

My knock has never been on Wolfe, but where it belongs - on the coaching staff that moved him from tailback and kept him in a position that he couldn't play. It wasn't fair to Wolfe then, and it still isn't.

Wolfe's got a full year of eligibility left and they need to move him back to where he can help the team. He played team guy for two years, they need to reward him for it by moving him back to tailback.