PDA

View Full Version : E-mail question

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2006, 09:45 PM
OK, spammers have finally gotten my e-mail address and I'm getting multitudes of horribly misspelled posts about random sex acts-some of which I'm relatively sure aren't physically possible.

Anyone know of a way I can filter these out server-level so my mail doesn't take an hour to load, or am I just borked on this addy and I need to set up a new one?

SoonerInKCMO
11/12/2006, 09:54 PM
Some dude I used to work with had something set up where spam got a 'bounce' reply from the server like the address wasn't valid... not sure how he did it but at least it's possible.

Rogue
11/12/2006, 10:14 PM
I think it depends on your ISP or email. My ISP allows me to restrict all things except from senders in my address book (not very helpful). Another option is to send all mail from unknown addresses into a different "folder" like a junk-mail folder. May not be very helpful either. There oughtta be a law.

opksooner
11/12/2006, 10:49 PM
McAfee SpamKiller and a google toolbar.

Zero spam. Zero.

yermom
11/13/2006, 12:33 AM
McAfee? *shudder*

what kind of address is this? from an ISP or the web or something?

if you are using IMAP/POP then there are client side tools built-in to Thunderbird that seem to work pretty well. Outlook has some as well

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 12:39 AM
It's an ISP e-mail. I'm using the Outlook client-side stuff, but the issue is that it's taking forever to dl my mail because I'll have like 100 messages.

I contacted my ISP-they have a server-side service for spam filtering I'm going to try. Since I'm on the super-mono-mega plan for the broadband, I guess I get it for free.

yermom
11/13/2006, 12:44 AM
i don't use my ISP email since it could change at any time...

100 messages? i'm guessing you are using POP?

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 12:45 AM
Sure, for the sake of argument we'll say I am.

(I think so)

yermom
11/13/2006, 12:51 AM
POP is teh suck

mostly for reasons like that, with IMAP you can just get the headers and delete junk before you even download it

of course i just leave mine open all the time, so i'm not usually getting a ton of new messages at once

if they are doing some server side filtering you would probably need to change to IMAP to see the stuff they filter as junk, unless you are confident in them not flagging anything by mistake

Frozen Sooner
11/13/2006, 12:54 AM
Well, here's the deal:

I can log on to their website and view the headers in HTML for all the filtered stuff. Instead of going to the POP server, it just hangs out in that folder until I review.

yermom
11/13/2006, 01:02 AM
well, there is that too, i guess

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2006, 01:04 AM
Personally, I welcome ads for natural male enhancement.