PDA

View Full Version : Baylor Game Waco Guide

SicEmBaylor
11/12/2006, 09:16 PM
I thought I'd put together a short guide for those of you traveling down to Waco for the game this weekend. If this is at all helpful then perhaps one of the mods could make this a STICKY until the end of the week....
*If you want to stay with the team then they are probably staying at the downtown Hilton Hotel which is where the teams typically stay. Their contact info can be found here:http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=VYVAXAB2B5LYGCSGBIYM22QKIYF CXUUC?ctyhocn=ACTWHHF

*Close to the team hotel is a Courtyard Marriott which is located about 2 blocks away on University Parks Drive: http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/WCOCY

*Just off of I-35s across from campus is a Clarion Inn:
http://www.hotel-rates.com/us/texas/waco/clarion-inn-waco.html

*The Holiday Inn Express also off of I-35 in Hillsboro:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/HLBTX?&GCID=S13444x014&KEYWORD=holiday+inn+express+hillsboro&cm_mmc=Yahoo-PS-Express-_-b_ex_hillsboro-_-standard-_-holiday+inn+express+hillsboro%7C-%7C8622204529164268151

*Next to campus off of I-35 is a LaQuinta Inn:
http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ511&propId=511

Finally, here's a list of some of the other misc. places:
http://www.wacocvb.com/waco-hotels.html

The Stadium:
Remember, Floyd Casey Stadium is NOT on Baylor's campus. It is located on Valley Mills Drive. Simply exit off of I-35 onto Valley Mills Drive and head west. You'll eventually pass a HEB grocery store on the right and see a "Bob's Pawn Shop" in front of you also on the right. You'll want to turn RIGHT on Dutton ave. which is between the pawn shop and the HEB grocery store. This is the back way into the stadium and will put you on the visitor's side.

I recommend getting there at least an hour and a half in advance. Earlier this season I'd have said this was going to be a big game so get there two hours in advance, but our season has gone down hill and I don't expect a huge turnout.

Here's the website for ticket information:
http://baylorbears.cstv.com/tickets/bay-tickets.html
If you don't get your ticket in advance then you should be able to walk up to the stadium's ticket office (located on the visitor's side) and purchase a ticket on game day.

If you're planning on tailgating then keep your alcohol in an unmarked container. Technically alcohol is not allowed anywhere on Baylor property, but they've adopted a kind of "don't make us ask" policy. As long as you behave yourselves and keep the alcohol on the down low then you shouldn't be bothered.

Dining:
The usual chain restaurants like Chilis, Applebees, etc. can generally be found on Valley Mills Drive. There are a few other choices on Franklin Ave. which runs parallel to and south of Valley Mills Drive. There's also a Wal-Mart over there.

If you want the best Baylor game day place to go then head to George's bar after the game. They also open up a big tent where you can get yourself an ice cold beer prior to the game starting.
http://www.georgesrestaurant.com/
Here's a map to their place. It can be somewhat tricky depending on which direction you're coming from:
http://www.georgesrestaurant.com/graphics/map.jpg

Alternatively, I'd recommend going into downtown Waco to the warehouse district (think Bricktown but not nearly as impressive) for food since it's where most of the Baylor folk/students go and hang out. There are two ways to get there from the stadium, but the easiest way to explain online is to just get back on I-35 and head NORTH until you reach the University Parks exit. Exit off onto University Parks Drive heading northwest (to the left if you're on I-35N). This will take you right into downtown Waco and the Warehouse area is at the corner of University Parks and Franklin.

To the right will be a cajun restaurant called Buzzard Billy's that is very good and reasonably priced:http://www.buzzardbillys.com/texas.html

Park in the parking lot on the lefthand side of the street for access to the Warehouse restaurants. Of those the best are Ninfa's which is at the far end of the Warehouse strip (very good Mexican food famous for their Ninfaritas which are also very cheap), Cricket's (tastey but cheap food in a bar/restaurant type setting. Lots of pool tables, large bar, and they allow cigar smoking), and Diamondback's which is a fairly overpriced and overrated steak house. There's also an Italian place called Gratziono's that I'm not a huge fan of.

The Campus:
Finally, just because the stadium isn't on campus doesn't mean we wouldn't love to have you all come around and check out Baylor's campus for yourselves. A lot has changed since the Sooners have been in town and we've incurred massive amounts of debt on building projects that would make even Emperor Hadrian blush.

New additions include:
The new Science Building of which we are particularly proud:
http://www.baylor.edu/pr/content_photos/002211.jpg
http://www.baylor.edu/pr/content_photos/002214.jpg

Baylor's campus map can be found here:
http://www.baylor.edu/map/

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful. If anyone has any other questions then by all means ask away.

BajaOklahoma
11/12/2006, 09:43 PM
We have a group of 10 going. The guys are painting their faces and are planning to be loud. The tickets are very reasonable people.

Sic'Em, thanks for the suggestions.

Boarder
11/13/2006, 12:26 AM
Hey, how long does it take to get from Waco to Norman again? I can't ever remember.

Figure going through Ft Worth and basically driving the speed limit.

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2006, 12:31 AM
Hey, how long does it take to get from Waco to Norman again? I can't ever remember.

I'd say about 4 hours. Maybe 4 1/2.

Ike
11/13/2006, 01:02 AM
I thought I'd put together a short guide for those of you traveling down to Waco for the game this weekend. If this is at all helpful then perhaps one of the mods could make this a STICKY until the end of the week....

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful. If anyone has any other questions then by all means ask away.

fixed :P

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/13/2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks! I'll be coming in from Grapevine with the fam on Saturday morning.

dolemitesooner
11/13/2006, 11:38 AM

You don't want to go though Ft worth.

A)There is always ****ing traffic in that hell hole. Dallas may be longer miles wise but it is always faster.

B) **** fort worth

Also answer me PEEM BEONCYE:D

CatHunter
11/13/2006, 12:21 PM

Took me two hours.

dolemitesooner
11/13/2006, 01:06 PM
Dave and I did it in about 3 and some change doing 1000

yermom
11/13/2006, 01:07 PM
took us like 7 the last time :(

dolemitesooner
11/13/2006, 01:08 PM
I was talking without hell traffic

yermom
11/13/2006, 01:10 PM
the construction south of Waxahachie sucks though

dolemitesooner
11/13/2006, 01:16 PM
Fort worth is worse

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2006, 05:48 PM
R6emember,
If you're traveling from Tulsa, the rest of Green Country, or Little Dixie then it's faster to take US-69S/US-75s through Dallas and then take Waco/I-35E south than it is to go through Ft. Worth.

mdklatt
11/13/2006, 06:31 PM
A)Dallas may be longer miles wise but it is always faster.

Now I know you're drunk.

mdklatt
11/13/2006, 06:32 PM
Are there any hotels within walking distance of the stadium?

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2006, 06:45 PM
Are there any hotels within walking distance of the stadium?

Yes, there's the Mardi Gras Inn located at I-35 and Valley Mills, but they rent by the hour if you know what I mean.

Let me also say this, you do not want to walk anywhere in Waco. At all...period. You were warned in advance.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/13/2006, 06:54 PM
The Adams Mark by the river is nice too.

soonerboomer93
11/13/2006, 06:55 PM
Yes, there's the Mardi Gras Inn located at I-35 and Valley Mills, but they rent by the hour if you know what I mean.

Let me also say this, you do not want to walk anywhere in Waco. At all...period. You were warned in advance.

A frat boy drunk on Zima, might hit you with his Vespa if you do walk

SicEmBaylor
11/13/2006, 06:58 PM
A frat boy drunk on Zima, might hit you with his Vespa if you do walk

See, that's a legitimate concern if you're within the bubble (the name for the campus and surrounding area); unfortunately, the stadium is outside the bubble in an area that does not compare favorably with Mogadishu. Therefore, your primary concern is avoiding being mugged by the 300 lbs drunk prostitute, her pimp, and other rifraf trying to steal your last nickel for some of that Colt 45.

soonerboomer93
11/13/2006, 07:32 PM
you've had personal experience outside the bubble i see

SicEmBaylor
11/16/2006, 03:10 AM
**EDIIT**
University Parks Drive is north of Valley Mills not south like I originally said, and you should be heading northwest not northeast on University Parks to get to downtown.

Not sure what the hell I was thinking when I typed that.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/18/2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, SicEm. We were able to park right next to some barber shop.

After the game I met ENA's Grandpop and a few of the players and coaches. I'll post pics later.

SicEmBaylor
11/18/2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the advice, SicEm. We were able to park right next to some barber shop.

After the game I met ENA's Grandpop and a few of the players and coaches. I'll post pics later.

How was the stadium, our fans, etc?
Hope all went well.....save the game itself. :mad: :mad:

BajaOklahoma
11/18/2006, 10:49 PM
Great advice, Sic'Em! We drove in right behind the OU buses.
We parked in the lot next to our entrance gate. We also purchased an extra space and had fun making breakfast - for our time together as a group, we did a very good job of not forgetting anything.
A couple of the guys painted their faces. One even managed to get into the stadium with his flag on a post. The people around us were nice about letting him wave it - and he tried not to be obnoxious about it.
We were amazed at the number of people honored. A new sound system with be nice as it was very difficult to understand the refs.
The student run to the seats was pretty funny, epsecially since the section never did fill up.
And we decided the Baylor fans were laughing their asses off at at of the OU fans crammed togehter in a couple sections while they could spread out.
We're planning to do it again in two years.

StoopTroup
11/18/2006, 11:17 PM
Wonder where the sticky on the football board went? :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/19/2006, 10:26 AM
I only saw about 5 Baylor fans, they were outnumbered by whorns wearing OU Choke shirts. ;)

Those 5 Baylor fans were nice though.

11/19/2006, 01:11 PM
Outstanding!

BajaOklahoma
11/19/2006, 02:22 PM
Our picture is on the Soonersports.com website. Picture # 60.
The guy holding the flag is my older son. Mr. Baja is in fornt of him, holding the megaphone. I'm hiding behind the guy facing the wrong way.
Lil' Baja is there too.

SicEmBaylor
11/19/2006, 03:40 PM
Our picture is on the Soonersports.com website. Picture # 60.
The guy holding the flag is my older son. Mr. Baja is in fornt of him, holding the megaphone. I'm hiding behind the guy facing the wrong way.
Lil' Baja is there too.
link to the pic?

BajaOklahoma
11/19/2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&PALBID=6088

SicEmBaylor
11/19/2006, 06:18 PM
Holy hell you guys are packed in there like sardines. You really seriously could have spread out a little.

soonerboomer93
11/19/2006, 07:38 PM
does Lil' Baja got a number? ;) :pop:

BajaOklahoma
11/19/2006, 08:48 PM
does Lil' Baja got a number? ;) :pop:

The guy with the flag is her eldest brother. You can barely see her other brother, who is quite a bit stronger. They play hockey. They love to fight.
The guys on the hockey team regard her as a little sister. They are VERY protective.
Still want to ask? :D

SicEmBaylor
11/19/2006, 09:12 PM
The guy with the flag is her eldest brother. You can barely see her other brother, who is quite a bit stronger. They play hockey. They love to fight.
The guys on the hockey team regard her as a little sister. They are VERY protective.

I'm still game.
I haven't met a parent or protective type yet who was the least bit worried about me. Means they're highly impressed by me and think I'm an outstanding young man.

11/19/2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, that must be it.

BajaOklahoma
11/19/2006, 09:36 PM
I'm still game.
I haven't met a parent or protective type yet who wasn't the least bit worried about me. Means they're highly impressed by me and think I'm an outstanding young man.

They obviously don't frequent this forum, right? :P
You would get points for being from Oklahoma, but lose points for going to Baylor.
And she's dating a nice guy right now,though.

SicEmBaylor
11/19/2006, 09:48 PM
They obviously don't frequent this forum, right? :P
You would get points for being from Oklahoma, but lose points for going to Baylor.
And she's dating a nice guy right now,though.

I bet he doesn't take her to Branson!!!!:hot:

j/k ;)

BajaOklahoma
11/19/2006, 10:08 PM
A week ago, we went to a wedding in Branson.
If it hadn't conflicted with the Tech game, they would have gone with us. :P

SicEmBaylor
11/19/2006, 10:10 PM
A week ago, we went to a wedding in Branson.
If it hadn't conflicted with the Tech game, they would have gone with us. :P

No joke, I really do still have those two tickets I didn't use for Silver Dollar City. You should have sent me a PM. I ordered them online and they came in the form of a .pdf file that you print out and hand in at the gate. I don't believe they have my name on them so it shouldn't be a big deal to transfer them.

Boarder
11/19/2006, 10:58 PM
I love going to Baylor games. They're so relaxing. Easy parking, little to no traffic. We pulled right up and made breakfast. I sent the guys around to get tickets. They came back with four 35 yard line, chairback, in the shade, concrete wall behind us, donor seats for $20 each. I know, we paid premium, but hey, they were awesome seats.

I like the stadium. Clean, decent, easy to get around. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I'm not a big fan of the bathroom trough system, but whatever.

We watched the game in comfort, never worrying. When OU did good we cheered without opposing fan recourse. It was so cute how they actually cheered and encouraged the Bears on at times. The RAWR sign at kickoff was so neat of them.

I had a Chick Fil A sandwich, a Diet Big Red, and a bowl of low carb frozen yogurt.

Afterward, we were on the Interstate 5 minutes from getting in the truck. On the way back we ate at Chipolte.

I highly recommend going to Baylor games.

It was just a nice experience. I really like Baylor, bless thier hearts.

soonerboomer93
11/20/2006, 12:15 AM

Sure

(then again, I have lots of protection, since I'm only a few miles away ;))

soonerboomer93
11/20/2006, 12:17 AM
I love going to Baylor games. They're so relaxing. Easy parking, little to no traffic. We pulled right up and made breakfast. I sent the guys around to get tickets. They came back with four 35 yard line, chairback, in the shade, concrete wall behind us, donor seats for $20 each. I know, we paid premium, but hey, they were awesome seats.

I like the stadium. Clean, decent, easy to get around. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I'm not a big fan of the bathroom trough system, but whatever.

We watched the game in comfort, never worrying. When OU did good we cheered without opposing fan recourse. It was so cute how they actually cheered and encouraged the Bears on at times. The RAWR sign at kickoff was so neat of them.

I had a Chick Fil A sandwich, a Diet Big Red, and a bowl of low carb frozen yogurt.

Afterward, we were on the Interstate 5 minutes from getting in the truck. On the way back we ate at Chipolte.

I highly recommend going to Baylor games.

It was just a nice experience. I really like Baylor, bless thier hearts.

I went a few years ago, and that was my experience. Very pleasant and relaxing