PDA

View Full Version : For those interested in TV buying this season

85Sooner
11/12/2006, 06:36 PM
Just a heads up. ALERT------------ the manufacturers are freaking out!----
They are calling every day and their warehouses are full. They have been selling the sets at 200-300$ below manufacturing costs just to empty warehouses. They over projected this year. in the next 50 days will be the best environment for those who have not jumped off the fence.

Many things are happening behind the scenes with regard to TIVO/DVR's, itunes and the like as well as many manufacturers who will be gone very soon.
Can't really spill the beans on all of that yet.

BTW the majors will not be making the same mistake twice. The theory this year was to have plenty to sell, because they didn't due to no name and new brands, the majors are sucking it up to empty the warehouses this year but plan on restricting manufacturing next year to retain margins.

Just thought some of you might be interested.:pop:

proud gonzo
11/12/2006, 07:19 PM
hmm

Oldnslo
11/12/2006, 07:23 PM
I'm not so good at reading between the lines. WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, MAN?

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2006, 07:27 PM
And here I am with my TV I bought in July. Like a sucker.

ultimatesooner1
11/12/2006, 07:30 PM
sweet, I haven't pulled the trigger yet but the trigger finger is getting itchy

Newbomb Turk
11/12/2006, 08:18 PM
They have been selling the sets at 200-300$ below manufacturing costs just to empty warehouses.

so I can buy a $200 tube TV for free? Cool.

Mixer!
11/12/2006, 08:51 PM
I'm more curious as to which manufacturers are going OOB before I commit to a purchase.

tbl
11/12/2006, 11:29 PM
No doubt. I think the point is buy a major manufacturer, but wait till close to Christmas.

Elaboration would be nice though... :D

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2006, 11:31 PM
I don't know that Sony is going out of business, but they're suffering massive losses company-wide.

tbl
11/12/2006, 11:36 PM
So would you say early January would be a good time?

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 09:23 AM
So would you say early January would be a good time?

depends on how many sets are sold in the next 2 months. The Manufacturers have to pay taxes on what they have as of 1/1/07. So be sure they want rid of them by then.

The manufacturers showing trouble are not the major brands. In all honesty, the prices have dropped a bit in the last two months but are bottoming out with a couple exceptions. for those who bought earlier this year, there is not a huge difference for the most part unless it was a DLP.

This is information I was able to gain from the increase in calls from company reps. just thought I'd pass it on to you folks.

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 10:22 AM
depends on how many sets are sold in the next 2 months. The Manufacturers have to pay taxes on what they have as of 1/1/07. So be sure they want rid of them by then.

The manufacturers showing trouble are not the major brands. In all honesty, the prices have dropped a bit in the last two months but are bottoming out with a couple exceptions. for those who bought earlier this year, there is not a huge difference for the most part unless it was a DLP.

This is information I was able to gain from the increase in calls from company reps. just thought I'd pass it on to you folks.

Now this is information that I can use, not like that usual drivel that premeates this place.

Ok, so are you saying that prices have come down a lot? Are they projected to come down more in the next two months? How should we position ourselves to take advantage of this opportunity? Will dealers be willing to deal more on sets? Are DLP's the version that is in the worst position or does this include Plasma's, LCD's and the other, non-DLP versions of projectors? Name brands, non-name brands or both? Certain sizes?

Ok, so I am very analytical but I want to make sure that if I buy, I take full advantage of "the man". I also want to brag to my neighbor, the one with the yappy dogs, about what a great deal I got. I think I may need a quick cold shower.

Okieflyer
11/13/2006, 10:26 AM
so I can buy a $200 tube TV for free? Cool.

Yes, it's time to get rid of your black and white. Because some of the "Gilligan's Island" episodes are in color.

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 11:14 AM
Now this is information that I can use, not like that usual drivel that premeates this place.

Ok, so are you saying that prices have come down a lot? Are they projected to come down more in the next two months? How should we position ourselves to take advantage of this opportunity? Will dealers be willing to deal more on sets? Are DLP's the version that is in the worst position or does this include Plasma's, LCD's and the other, non-DLP versions of projectors? Name brands, non-name brands or both? Certain sizes?

Ok, so I am very analytical but I want to make sure that if I buy, I take full advantage of "the man". I also want to brag to my neighbor, the one with the yappy dogs, about what a great deal I got. I think I may need a quick cold shower.

Generally, prices have crashed. There really is no room to deal much.
Manufacturers are overloaded with stock so they are selling below cost to retailers.

Retailers are being very careful about purchasing because they don't want to be stuck with stock purchased at higher prices (so availability of product is becoming an issue)

Mass retailers have dumped the prices (alot of one day sales)to get folks in the stores.
Both these factors are stabilizing prices for the time being. The Problem is that Manufacturers cannot afford to continue to lose money. Thus speculation is that most are going to be producing less and making their products, especially the more popular models less available.

They cannot afford to have dealers that bottom out their products prices, thus causing other retailers not to buy.

ie: frys gets ahold of a certain brand.
they promote it at about just over cost
other retailers need to make money so they don't order any of those
manufacturer starts having a backlog of stock
thus they have to start selling below cost to get rid of stock.

Solution: make product restrictive in regards to allocation to businesses that won't bastardize the price, and produce on a more guarded level to lessen probablility of losses.

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 11:27 AM
P.S.
the sets that are crashing the fastest in price are the LCD flat panels and the DLP sets. Lcd's to compete with plasma, and DLP's because word has finally gotten out about the issues that have been increasingly arising.

Oh and low end plasma. Service issues are really starting to increase.

All this is really not far off of what I have speculated in the past, it is just confirmation evidenced by responses from the manufactures, who is the past were eerily silent.

Mixer!
11/13/2006, 11:48 AM
So can you suggest which models we should be looking at to purchase that won't cause us to beat our brains in because of said "issues", or would we be better off avoiding these over-manufactured units altogether?

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 12:10 PM
I go to cnet to get reviews from their "experts" as well as from users. The cnet reviews focus on product performance where as the user feedback addresses performance as well as reliability. One version that people have been selling really cheap is the Akai 42" plasma. Fry's (the devil) has them for $999. However, cnet users give the Akai plasma a paltry rating. Akai is the universal word for "crap" according to cnet reviewers.

BlondeSoonerGirl
11/13/2006, 12:12 PM
...and DLP's because word has finally gotten out about the issues that have been increasingly arising.

So there's a problem with the meers?

:norm:

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 12:42 PM
So there's a problem with the meers?

:norm:

nope, mainly color wheels and delayed video processing and audio reproduction.

My recommendations are still pretty much the same as in the past.
I was just forwarding some industry trends that might be of interest to some of you.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/13/2006, 01:40 PM
SO what's the word on TIVO. Are they going bankrupt?

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 02:10 PM
SO what's the word on TIVO. Are they going bankrupt?

As of lately, the word on Tivo is this.

The new tivo machines are being manufactured to have an instant erase function for high def recordings. I believe the time limit is 14 days before being auto erased. Those HD broadcasts can still be dumped to external recording devices and dvd's in the standard definition format.

It seems like this is a pattern that is likely to occur with all HD recording devices in the future.

Additionally, and preface this by saying I could be wrong, but the experts that I have talked with see a change itunes terms and conditions.
Seems they are tinkering with the idea of .99 for the download which will stay available on your computer for 30 days. When a log on occurs after 30 days, all previously paid for music will be erased. Same thing once the Ipod is hooked up. Seems like they are trying to go to a pay per listen format.
Now don't scream or argue with me on this. It is what I have heard and we will see what happens.

mrowl
11/13/2006, 02:36 PM
The Tivo series 3 (which is HD), does NOT have a 14 day limit, and it won't in the future. That is stupid.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/13/2006, 02:36 PM
As of lately, the word on Tivo is this.

The new tivo machines are being manufactured to have an instant erase function for high def recordings. I believe the time limit is 14 days before being auto erased. Those HD broadcasts can still be dumped to external recording devices and dvd's in the standard definition format.

It seems like this is a pattern that is likely to occur with all HD recording devices in the future.

Additionally, and preface this by saying I could be wrong, but the experts that I have talked with see a change itunes terms and conditions.
Seems they are tinkering with the idea of .99 for the download which will stay available on your computer for 30 days. When a log on occurs after 30 days, all previously paid for music will be erased. Same thing once the Ipod is hooked up. Seems like they are trying to go to a pay per listen format.
Now don't scream or argue with me on this. It is what I have heard and we will see what happens.

Thanks.

Your just telling us stuff, but F#$% the RIAA. You pay for a license, then you should have fair use for as long as you want. They are turning people off of music...

mrowl
11/13/2006, 02:38 PM
something else... Apple will not change their stance on music, nor the price. The record companies have realized that it is working, and more are coming on-board every month. And now more movies studios are signing up (fox is about to be announced)

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 03:23 PM
something else... Apple will not change their stance on music, nor the price. The record companies have realized that it is working, and more are coming on-board every month. And now more movies studios are signing up (fox is about to be announced)

well, your the expert

tbl
11/13/2006, 03:37 PM
Thanks.

Your just telling us stuff, but F#$% the RIAA. You pay for a license, then you should have fair use for as long as you want. They are turning people off of music...
and turning people over to Limewire. If they end up charging you more than once for the same song, I can guarantee they will lose sales... I would hope dramatically.

mrowl
11/13/2006, 03:40 PM
well, your the expert

nope, I just read the news stories, and the analyst reports.

Your claiming to be the expert.

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 03:49 PM
nope, I just read the news stories, and the analyst reports.

Your claiming to be the expert.

Not at all just repeating the talk going on in the tech world behind the scenes.

tbl
11/13/2006, 03:55 PM
:pop:

mrowl
11/13/2006, 04:03 PM
Not at all just repeating the talk going on in the tech world behind the scenes.

but you present yourself as the expert on this board, people ask you for advice all the time...

and :pop:

BeetDigger
11/13/2006, 04:07 PM

colleyvillesooner
11/13/2006, 04:08 PM

OklahomaTuba
11/13/2006, 04:11 PM
What about VCRs, those things coming down anytime soon???

jeremy885
11/13/2006, 05:03 PM
So, I just got screwed for buying a Samsung 40 LCD for $1999 over OU-tx weekend, instead of waiting two months?

Boomer.....
11/13/2006, 05:08 PM
What about VCRs, those things coming down anytime soon???
I think that if you buy a VHS tape, they throw in 2 free VCR's.

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 05:12 PM
So, I just got screwed for buying a Samsung 40 LCD for $1999 over OU-tx weekend, instead of waiting two months?

Hmmmm Samsung LCD 40" 720p you look like you did well, if its the 1080p you did fantastic. Current pricing on those is 2097.00 and 2799.00 respectively. Feel better now?

OBTW there is a concerted effort to cease CD music cd's. the whole idea being that the RIAA realizes people are buying cd's and copying them by the milliions. By eliminating CD's and providing pay per listen, they will have the most control they have had since the invention of tape drives.
Don't believe me? grab some popcorn and and a beer and watch the fun.

Believe me it does suck.

Boomer.....
11/13/2006, 05:14 PM

85Sooner
11/13/2006, 05:17 PM
but you present yourself as the expert on this board, people ask you for advice all the time...

and :pop:

They do, and I try to give them the most up to date information I have.
Thats about all I can do. I don't feel like I've steered anyone in a wrong direction.

Alot of this has been initiated by several factors.
You tube
Copyright infringement regarding movies and music
the evolution of blue ray and HD-DVD
HDMI/ DVI
and more.

It really is funny sometimes, I had a guy in today that stated that he came here because we were known for giving the most knowledgable information .

Then he presided to want to argue about everything. If I would have said the grass was green he would have said it was blue. All I know is I have no life because I am saturated in this stuff 24/7/365. I don;t make it up, believe me.:)

Mixer!
11/13/2006, 11:26 PM
And the minute they start PPL, somebody will invent some code that will let you copy it to your computer and swap it. And it will be the death of music on radio, since they're giving the songs away for free (and somebody will likely be recording the broadcast for future ripping).

F*** those RIAA tardbillys.

jeremy885
11/13/2006, 11:29 PM
Hmmmm Samsung LCD 40" 720p you look like you did well, if its the 1080p you did fantastic. Current pricing on those is 2097.00 and 2799.00 respectively. Feel better now?

720p. Yes I do. Thanks.

Taxman71
11/14/2006, 06:23 AM
I picked up the Westinghouse 32 inch LCD for $600 after coupons (for the bedroom). I know Best Buy is selling it for $479 on black friday, but I ain't camping out on Thanksgiving night to saving $200 bucks. I wonder if sets like this are hurting the bigger names since a comparable Sony, Sharp or Samsung runs about $1400+.

Oh, and as of last night, there were already 3 tents camped next to the front door for Friday's PS3 sale. Lahoosaher.

Boomer.....
11/14/2006, 08:47 AM
I picked up the same 32" Westinghouse LCD from for $575. I think it is a steal.

BeetDigger
11/14/2006, 09:58 AM
I picked up the Westinghouse 32 inch LCD for $600 after coupons (for the bedroom). I know Best Buy is selling it for $479 on black friday, but I ain't camping out on Thanksgiving night to saving $200 bucks. I wonder if sets like this are hurting the bigger names since a comparable Sony, Sharp or Samsung runs about $1400+.

Oh, and as of last night, there were already 3 tents camped next to the front door for Friday's PS3 sale. Lahoosaher.

How do you already know what is going to be on sale on black Friday?

tbl
11/14/2006, 10:37 AM

sooneron
11/14/2006, 10:42 AM

Taxman71
11/14/2006, 10:44 AM
How do you already know what is going to be on sale on black Friday?
http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

Or for the actual scans:

http://forums.gottadeal.com/showthread.php?t=52885

YWIA.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/14/2006, 11:03 AM
OBTW there is a concerted effort to cease CD music cd's. the whole idea being that the RIAA realizes people are buying cd's and copying them by the milliions. By eliminating CD's and providing pay per listen, they will have the most control they have had since the invention of tape drives.

If they do that, the meager amount I spend on music will go to ZERO...

Oh, and BTW, when I purchased the Cd, I have fair right to copy it to the player of my choice for my personal listening enjoyment.

Taxman71
11/14/2006, 11:08 AM
As long as one guy can burn a song on a CD, it can then be copied and distributed. Thus, the RIAA would have to control not only the medium (CD, mp3, etc.) but the devices that play the medium as well to really control copying. Obviously, this would keep people like us from buying music for the most part not to mention it would be virtually impossible to control those markets.

BeetDigger
11/14/2006, 11:26 AM

Or for the actual scans:

YWIA.

Thanks. I always thought that they kept that stuff real hush hush.

Mixer!
11/14/2006, 01:55 PM
Dolemite justified! (http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-2224-Beyonce2PackCDwithDVD.html)

:dolemite:

colleyvillesooner
11/14/2006, 01:58 PM
Dolemite justified! (http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/black-friday-2224-Beyonce2PackCDwithDVD.html)

:dolemite:

It's a travesty that 'Walk the Line' and 'The Office' are on par with X-Men 3 and Click.

RacerX
11/23/2006, 11:04 PM
The LCD my parents are looking at has dropped from $3799 to $3099.

They'll probably buy tomorrow.

MamaMia
11/24/2006, 10:48 AM
Just a heads up. ALERT------------ the manufacturers are freaking out!----
They are calling every day and their warehouses are full. They have been selling the sets at 200-300$ below manufacturing costs just to empty warehouses. They over projected this year. in the next 50 days will be the best environment for those who have not jumped off the fence.

Many things are happening behind the scenes with regard to TIVO/DVR's, itunes and the like as well as many manufacturers who will be gone very soon.
Can't really spill the beans on all of that yet.

BTW the majors will not be making the same mistake twice. The theory this year was to have plenty to sell, because they didn't due to no name and new brands, the majors are sucking it up to empty the warehouses this year but plan on restricting manufacturing next year to retain margins.

Just thought some of you might be interested.:pop:
Its been over 6 years since we have purchased a a new set but we're thinking about putting a set in the smaller bedroom. If I do, I'd like to get one that we can put up high in the corner that doesn't take up too much room. I was going to check into those thin TVs. I like the sets with the feature that keeps the sound even during commercials. What do you suggest?

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 01:54 PM

Or for the actual scans:

YWIA.

That site is great. They had all the links yesterday for the Thankgiving day online sales. Which I took advantage of.

I was all set to by a Vizio at Costo using the coupon, which would make it $999. However, I looked at the Panasonic and Vizio side by side and the Panasonic blew it away, completely. Plus it gets great reviews. CC had it for $1199 yesterday, so I bought it online. I will take it back if I see a better day elsewhere, but for now, that seems great. Yeah, I know the death trap, Best Buy, had it for $999, but no way was I going out there and waiting at midnight so I could get one.

Frozen Sooner
11/24/2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, the Panny will blow the Vizio away. Vizio is a solid off-brand, but Panny makes a pretty universally-recognized good TV.

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 05:20 PM
Yes, the Panny will blow the Vizio away. Vizio is a solid off-brand, but Panny makes a pretty universally-recognized good TV.

The Panisonic is just slightly more expensive too (but only with the Vizio having the $200 off coupon at Costco, otherwise it is the same price). CNET rates is very, very highly. Panisonic must be doing what 85 states in terms of manufacturers giving serious discounts. I have seen the Panisonic on sale a lot of places. At $1299 it is a very good buy. Anything less than that is gravy.

85Sooner
11/24/2006, 07:16 PM
The Panisonic is just slightly more expensive too (but only with the Vizio having the $200 off coupon at Costco, otherwise it is the same price). CNET rates is very, very highly. Panisonic must be doing what 85 states in terms of manufacturers giving serious discounts. I have seen the Panisonic on sale a lot of places. At $1299 it is a very good buy. Anything less than that is gravy.

Anything CNET says I would dispute, I have read a ton of stuff off there that is just flat out wrong.

SCOUT
11/24/2006, 09:08 PM
Anything CNET says I would dispute, I have read a ton of stuff off there that is just flat out wrong.

So Vizio is better than Panasonic?

BeetDigger
11/24/2006, 09:20 PM

I will take your word on it as you know a heck of a lot more about it than I do. The one thing that I have done is to look through the user reviews and cross them with the CNET reviews to see how they compare. Users can have a bias as they want to feel good about their purchase. However, in doing a lot of looking, not all user reviews are good on products. That tells me that users can be objective. Also, I have compared the reviews with user reviews from Amazon and other places to see if there is consistency. What this has told me is that when CNET likes something and the users also rate it highly, with few low rankings, then I feel pretty good about it.

Also, as I mentioned, I looked at the Panisonic side by side with the Vizio and it was hands down better. Now in Circuit City, the Panisonic was just slightly less appealing than the 1080p sets, but they were much more expensive. Basically, the Panisonic was a great picture and was about the least expensive. Now durability wise, I don't know how they stack up. Most user ratings are within a month or so of purchase. Few ratings are 6 months after purchase. For that reason, I don't know how they all fair in terms of breaking down.

Frozen Sooner
11/24/2006, 11:39 PM
Again, you're going to be very happy with the Panny compared to a Vizio.

SCOUT
11/24/2006, 11:43 PM
Again, you're going to be very happy with the Panny compared to a Vizio.

Thanks, I actually was looking for the clarification. :D

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 12:31 AM
No problem, Scout.

I've been biting my tongue a bit on Vizio because I know a lot of people have purchased them-and honestly, a lot of people are going to think they got a great TV for a low low price and aren't going to know any better. I just figured it wasn't worth the price. Also, since I post under my real name, I don't want Vizio corporate attorneys sending me snark-mail.

I have no direct proof that Vizios are steaming hunks of monkey vomit that will end up infesting the pawn shops of the world in a couple of years if they even still work at that point.

I am of the general opinion that if you've never heard of a consumer electronic brand that's being sold at Costco or Sam's Club or the like, there's probably a good reason-and that good reason isn't because they're an exclusive-type brand.

Vizios could very well be a good brand. However, after looking at them under less-than-ideal conditions, they looked far inferior to my untrained eye in comparison to Panasonic, Sony, LG, or any other TV in the store.

Taxman71
11/25/2006, 07:44 AM
Went to Best Buy at 5:15 am yesterday just to check it out and maybe get a few small items for half off. Minimum of 400 people waiting to check out that early in the day. I just laughed and went and had a free breakfast at Sam's. No sale is worth waiting in line that long with that many unbathed people with turkey gravy sweating through their pores.

OUHOMER
11/25/2006, 08:26 AM
friend of mine bought a vizio from sams about 6 months ago after 25 days the color started started doing wierd things. It would all fade and than it looked like it would go into time warp or someting. He took it back it sams. Had to hagle with the manager for an hour before they would give him credit on it. The manager said they were having too many problems with vizio, and were trying to get custmomers to deal with the manufacture instead of bring them back.

Norm In Norman
11/25/2006, 09:15 AM
Sam's has a 6 month return policy on electronics, don't they? I've never had any problems returning anything to them. I bought a monitor there once and didn't like it and they marked the thing as "non re-sellable". I had it 2 days and had every single part and you couldn't' even tell I had opened it.

I find it funny that KOCO (abc for you peeps not in the OKC area) has really been pushing HDTVs in the news. The rest? Not so much (that I've noticed). KWTV (CBS) thinks HD is the debil because it costs money. Pretty soon nobody will even be watching KWTV because KOCO told them to buy an HDTV and KOCO has better HDTV service.

OklahomaTuba
11/25/2006, 11:40 AM
I didn't camp out at best buy or anything, but I did wake up early and stood in line for about half an hour at the new best buy in Owasso until the store opened up, and bought that 42 inch Panasonic plasma screen for $999.

Looks damn good.

KC//CRIMSON
11/25/2006, 11:50 AM
My brother in law got a 32" MAG LCD HD ready TV for 5 hundy at of all places, Staples.

RacerX
11/25/2006, 11:52 AM
Norm - my parents went crazy *** at best buy.

I'm looking forward to watching games at their place in the future.

BeetDigger
11/25/2006, 11:52 AM
I didn't camp out at best buy or anything, but I did wake up early and stood in line for about half an hour at the new best buy in Owasso until the store opened up, and bought that 42 inch Panasonic plasma screen for $999.

Looks damn good.

Congratulations. You could never do that at the BB in Frisco. There are too many folks that show up two to three hours early.

The kid who waited on us at the pizza place said he spent all night at Wal-Mart to buy the $400 RCA. He said that everybody wanted that one. No one was in line to buy the 42" plasma for $988. If I could show up at BB a half hour before they opened and get a set, then I would have done it.

Frozen Sooner
11/25/2006, 11:59 AM

Looks damn good.

If it's the one I think it is, it's the one I have hanging on the wall in front of me right now. You'll enjoy it a great deal.

OklahomaTuba
11/25/2006, 12:02 PM
If it's the one I think it is, it's the one I have hanging on the wall in front of me right now. You'll enjoy it a great deal.

Thats cool, I am very happy with it. It was also nice to see texass lose in HD. :D

OklahomaTuba
11/25/2006, 12:06 PM
Congratulations. You could never do that at the BB in Frisco. There are too many folks that show up two to three hours early.

The kid who waited on us at the pizza place said he spent all night at Wal-Mart to buy the $400 RCA. He said that everybody wanted that one. No one was in line to buy the 42" plasma for $988. If I could show up at BB a half hour before they opened and get a set, then I would have done it.

I think a lot of people were in line at BB here to a $200 laptop, or the 50Inc Toshiba. I was surprised by the amount of people from out of state waiting here.

I would have gotten the 50" Toshiba, but I have a built in armoir in my living room and the 42 inch just barely fits in it.

Norm In Norman
11/25/2006, 11:18 PM

at 2:30 in norman there were probably 200 people in line. I turned around and went home.