PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night Live

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2006, 07:42 AM
OK, I'm up, so I'm going to talk about Saturday Night Live from 11/11/2006.

Alec Baldwin hosting.

Show opened up with a great sketch featuring Kristin Wiig doing a dead-on Nancy Pelosi. Introduction of the committee chairs was fantastic-after prefacing with "we're going to celebrate America's diversity in our leadership" every committee chair other than agriculture and intelligence was african-american with a beard. Agriculture was "This naked hippie right here, and his old lady," while Intelligence was Al-zaquari.

Standout sketches:

Valtrex fake ad where a husband and wife talk about how herpes can lie dormant for 14 years so it's not weird at all that a couple should suddenly develop it after years of monogamy, with Baldwin telling his wife over and over that she just doesn't need to think about it.

Baldwin and Steve Martin in the trademark Martin not letting Baldwin tie his hosting record sketch. Guest appearances by Martin Short and Paul McCartney, who for some reason Steve Martin refers to as Paul Simon several times.

Baldwin doing the Tony Bennett Show, and pulling as a guest "Anthony Benutti," a Tony Bennett impersonator. Tony Bennett plays the Anthony Benutti character. Later in the show, he joins Christina Aguilera in a duet-and let me tell you, Aguilera's got some pipes on her.

Weekend Update: "President Bush invited Speaker-elect Pelosi to lunch to discuss leadership issues. Pelosi joined him, but just to rub it in went and got an abortion immediately afterwards."

Strong show this week. It seems that cutting down the regular cast is working.

StoopTroup
11/12/2006, 09:22 AM
Aguilera's performance was pretty good....

I missed the Tony Bennett duet...we were en route to the Ponderosa I guess.

By the time I got the kiddies to bed it was over...

Balwin carried the show from what I could tell....

The Steve Martin / Baldwin deal was classic....especially with Martin Short as their bartender....Steve Martin - "SAD"....Classic....lol

SoonerInKCMO
11/12/2006, 12:44 PM
I missed an Aguilera performance? :( :(

Mixer!
11/12/2006, 03:15 PM
Torrent time...

tbl
11/12/2006, 06:23 PM
Her first performance was off the chain. It really was good.

I thought the awkward carpooling sketch was pretty genius.

The Brazilian white suit was pretty funny too.

Now that they've got rid of Tina Fey, the show is definitely getting funnier. This season is the best it's been in quite a while.

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2006, 07:28 PM
Which is weird, because Tina Fey is a really really good comedy writer. Addition by subtraction, I guess-maybe other writers are feeling like they can contribute more now.

tbl
11/12/2006, 11:53 PM
I tell you one thing she is not, and that's a sitcom actress. I tried to watch the 30 Rock pilot and she completely ruined it for me. Tracy Morgan is pretty weak too.

Frozen Sooner
11/12/2006, 11:58 PM
Oh, man, you needed to keep watching 30 Rock. It's gotten immensely better since the pilot.