PDA

View Full Version : Rank Your Top Five Cities

Blue
1/7/2004, 12:43 AM
Young, unemployed college graduate here looking at different jobmarkets and overall cities that rock your face off.

Criteria: U.S. mainland, Range Pop. wise(Tulsa- New York City), Cities you would want to live and work in. Cities you've been to.

I think its interesting to see people's favorite cities they've lived in or visited, to compare what cities are actually high quality and what cities are dumps to never set foot in(i guess all the N.O. talk got me thinking).

Anyway, if you're interested in responding, do so. Heres mine so far.

Top 5
1. Denver- gotta like the Rockies
2. SF/OAK/S.Jose- Bay Area, clean, maybe too big
3. Dallas- good sports town, close to the Sooners
4. Birmingham- Not too big, clean
5. D.C.- Feels like the center of the world, course I've never been to NYC.

H.M.: Tampa looks cool, never been. Pheonix also looks cool, never been. Northwest, never been. Charlotte? Roanoke? Albq.? San Antonio? Orlando? Boston?

Bottom Feeding Cities
1.Atlanta- Crime, crime,crime(Applys to D.C. as well)
2.New Orleans- good for a weekend, thats it.
3.Memphis-Dirty
4.Miami- Unless you're Ricky Martin, it sucks.
5.Actually D.C. probably belongs down here.

H.M.:Chicago, Philly, L.A., Houston? BTW never been to any of these.

Yeah I'm bored. Your thoughts?

Frozen Sooner
1/7/2004, 01:23 AM
Des Moines, IA is a surprisingly livable place.
Seattle was also a fun place to live, but the traffic sucks.

KaiserSooner
1/7/2004, 01:24 AM
For me, cold weather is a major negative. Not a deal-breaker though.

1. D.C. - My kind of place.
2. Oklahoma City - It's my hometown.
3. San Diego - Great location; never cold; rarely hot.
4. Nashville - I'm not a country music fan, but the people there are awesome...laid back.
5. Dallas

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/7/2004, 01:29 AM
I love Boston

Houston is a great place to live, but it's boring to visit. That's weird, eh?

Chicago is a cool town too. I like it.

PDXsooner
1/7/2004, 01:49 AM
depends on what type of person you are. it is a tough question to answer. if you're young and single, i'd look at the bay area, nyc, boston, dallas, and l.a.

with that being said, i think dallas in an absolute hellhole. but there are a lot of young, single, and willing women.

if you're looking to raise a family it's a whole new ballgame. the northwest is great, but many on this board would say too "liberal". portland suits me just fine...

King Crimson
1/7/2004, 08:10 AM
this is a pretty good time to buy or rent in Denver.
FWIW.

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2004, 08:22 AM
I lived in Honduras for a year but wouldnt recommend it to anybody....

lets see, my cities are a little smaller because they are normally military towns.....

Grew up in Houston and Dallas - liked both but prefer Dallas (actually Plano)

Lawton - thumbs down but nice because it was close to OKC and family

Killeen Texas - BIG thumbs down, dumpy military town, but alot of nice people there

Louisville, KY - I've actually liked all the dumpy places I've lived.....I'm pretty easy to please....but Kentucky is one state where I'd never live unless they paid me oodles of money to do so.....its a beautiful state and about the only thing I liked was that you had 4 seasons

Central New Jersey - Eatontown - I loved this place. Central New Jersey is nothing like what most people think of when they think of places like Newark. Monmouth County has horse farms, horse tracks, orchards, beaches....I was an hour train ride from NYC, an hour drive from Atlantic City, a little over an hour from Philly....never at a loss for something to do....LOVED IT

San Antonio - been here 4 years, this town is like no other in Texas.....its more like North Mexico City. Great people, great atmosphere, good weather if you like it hot year round.

Omaha - I've been there alot, its very much like Oklahoma City - friendly people, hard working people, bit of a cowtown...I like it.

VeeJay
1/7/2004, 08:57 AM
Forget about the Hurricanes for a second (the football team). Miami is not the worst place I've lived, by far. I've been here 11 years. Actually, haven't lived in Miami, but worked there for 10 of the 11 years. There are some areas of Miami that are very nice - Coral Gables, Old Cutler, Palmetto Bay. My bro-in-law lives in Palmetto Bay which is South Miami. Very nice area. The problem is the homes around there start around 300K. Real estate is increasing around 12% annually, which is very good if you're a homeowner.

Compare all this area has to offer and places like Bluefield, VA, and Lumberton, NC, and Jackson, MS aren't that appealing.

Broward County where I live is slightly more laid back. If you have a chance to come here, even for a few years you will like it. Unless you hate the beach and warm weather year round.

usmc-sooner
1/7/2004, 10:57 AM
DC is not a nice place to live!! I've had to travel there several times. Bad traffic, bad crime. I was there one time and they had closed the zoo due to gang shootings inside the zoo!!!

picasso
1/7/2004, 11:05 AM
Ah but you do not live in DC. You go the Virginia or Maryland route, just stay clear of Prince Georges county.
Chicago is awesome but way too cold for me.
I would like Kansas City or DC myself. Scottsdale, Arizona, ain't too shabby either. I haven't been to the southeast so I can't help there.

mrowl
1/7/2004, 11:22 AM
I live in DFW, Love it.

But if I had a choice...

1. Scottsdale, Arizona, is AWESOME. Great people, great weather, great place...

2. Austin, it would take a HUGE salary to live where I would want, and to get over the fact that UTexas is there, but what a great town.

3. DFW, I love it here, but the traffic is starting to beat me down, but that is in every town.

Norm In Norman
1/7/2004, 11:25 AM
Boston is my fave - after Norman.

WILDCAT NATION
1/7/2004, 11:27 AM
I would be interested in knowing people's thoughts on LIVING in some of the following..

Phoenix Area
San Diego Area
Tampa/Ft. Myers area
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Denver

These are all places we have looked at moving to when the wife gets out of Nursing School.

I have only visited these places, and I'm about tired of cold weather.

If any of you ever move to Saint Joseph, MO I will personally examine your head. I shoulda moved to KC. Still might. It is a good city, but I could do without the swings in weather. It gets hot as hell, and cold as hell. I would prefer more moderation.

mrowl
1/7/2004, 11:28 AM
oh yeah, San Diego... add that to the list. I have been there a couple of times and loved it, specifically the weather.

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2004, 11:29 AM
San Diego - Awesome City

San Fran - But you would need 4x mrowl's salary in Austin to live there.

St. Petersburg

Denver

WILDCAT NATION
1/7/2004, 11:37 AM
Just exactly how ridiculous is the COL in San Diego?

Anyone know of a good website to look up city comparisons?

I could be living in Denver right now! (WN kicking self)

49r
1/7/2004, 11:42 AM
I've lived in Boston for three years now, and can't wait to get out.

New England is not like the rest of America. It should be it's own country.

I would personally recommend staying west of the Mississippi. JMO

KaiserSooner
1/7/2004, 11:44 AM
I lived in Honduras for a year but wouldnt recommend it to anybody....
I guess that's a thumbs down on Tegucigalpa :D

KaiserSooner
1/7/2004, 11:49 AM
Ah but you do not live in DC. You go the Virginia or Maryland route, just stay clear of Prince Georges county.
Chicago is awesome but way too cold for me.
I would like Kansas City or DC myself. Scottsdale, Arizona, ain't too shabby either. I haven't been to the southeast so I can't help there.If you have a lot of dough, there are decent (actually, exceedlingly upscale) places within DC to live....ie, west of Rock Creek Park.

Of course, it depends on what you look for in a neighborhood/community. If you have a family and are looking for open space for kids, DC isn't the place.

The District is not a middle class town though. It's either very poor or upper class, so there's no middle ground.....as you said, the middle class lives in Maryland and Virginia.

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2004, 11:50 AM
The City + Salary Calculator

Example - If you make 100,000 in OKC you would need to make 189,000 in San Diego

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

BigRedJed
1/7/2004, 12:01 PM
I'm limiting this to large cities, as I could probably put a dozen small cities and towns in the Pacific Northwest on this list. Man, I'd like to retire to somewhere like Medford or Eugene Oregon.

Excluding OKC, where I'll probably live the rest of my life, due to my business and social connections, the progress the city is making within its urban center, and the quality of people:

1. Portland, OR
Urban, sophisticated, but somehow maintains a "small city" feel like OKC. As far as being genuinely friendly, Oregonians are most like Oklahomans from what I've seen. Unbelievably vibrant downtown, an hour to either snow skiing, or the most beautiful ocean shoreline you'll ever see. Great hiking is minutes away, and the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Highway is the most beautiful place in the U.S., for my money. The city has good transit, a great climate (would you believe WARMER than Oklahoma in the winter - and I really kinda like rainy days). The food even tastes better there. Trust me. BTW, the rain gets a bad rap; unlike Oklahoma, an umbrella will almost always keep you dry. It's usually gentle, sometimes not much more than a mist. And it makes EVERYTHING green. Portland is the garden of Eden.

2. Boston
God what a city! Shopping, dining, nightlife -- Boston has it all. Live in the city itself and you don't need a car. The T (subway) will take you within a couple of blocks of anywhere you want to go, and a little walking from there won't hurt you. You'll notice hardly anyone in the city proper is fat; it's a walking city instead of a car city. Unless you flat go to the wrong place, you'll always feel safe on the streets, because there are always lots of other people around. The best Italian food you'll ever eat is in North End, and around every corner you'll see what you think must be a charming movie set. Great sports town, great pubs, more history than any city in the U.S. if you're a history buff like me. Just a short train ride away is beautiful New England seashore, and quaint New England fishing villages like Glochester.

3. New York
What don't you already know about New York? The center of the universe...

4. Chicago
Great sports, transit, shopping, dining, jazz...

5. Charleston, SC
I bounced back and forth between Charleston and Savannah, GA. Frankly, I don't really think I'd live there. The cities are amazing, beautiful, urban, historic. There's great golf everywhere. But "southern hospitality" is overrated. Frankly, I just don't think people from the "real south" are genuinely nice. They're cliquish, impolite, and accoriding to a friend who spent a couple of years working as a professor in Savannah, backstabbing. The cities might be the most beautiful in America, though.

Honorable mention: Denver, Austin (flame away!), Kansas City.

Worthless cities:
You'll probably notice a trend here; I like urban density, not sprawl (it's amazing I can stand OKC, but we're making progress toward a good downtown).

1. Los Angeles
Lots to do and see, great climate, but what a piece of sprawling, fake crap. People in LA suck, too (except LA Sooner).

2. Miami
Blechhh. I'm not dissing Florida, though. I'd like to have a house in Key West, but that's not really Florida, is it?

3. New Orleans
We're talking places to live, right? 'Cause NO is one of my favorite places to visit -- for about 3-4 days.

4. Houston
Houston gets a bad rap as far as being boring, I think it's a fine city. I've been down there on business a lot in the past year and will be down there more this year. But you're forced to drive in this city, and the gridlock is unbelievable. Boston has horrible gridlock too, but remember, you don't have to drive in Boston.

5. Detroit
Yuck.

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2004, 12:12 PM
I would be interested in knowing people's thoughts on LIVING in some of the following..

Phoenix Area
San Diego Area
Tampa/Ft. Myers area
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA
Denver

These are all places we have looked at moving to when the wife gets out of Nursing School.

I have only visited these places, and I'm about tired of cold weather.

If any of you ever move to Saint Joseph, MO I will personally examine your head. I shoulda moved to KC. Still might. It is a good city, but I could do without the swings in weather. It gets hot as hell, and cold as hell. I would prefer more moderation.

Savannah and Charleston are both GREAT areas!

jk the sooner fan
1/7/2004, 12:15 PM
I guess that's a thumbs down on Tegucigalpa :D

absolutely, and Comoyagua as well....

WILDCAT NATION
1/7/2004, 12:17 PM
Have spent some time in Charleston, and it is a pretty cool town. Want to visit Savannah.

My problem with living in a place like Charleston would be that I would view it as a waste unless I lived on the beach, but the properties are WAY expensive. For some reason, I also view them as vastly overrated. Only reason I would want to be on the beach is to party, and they don't allow alcohol. Talk about a Catch 22!

Might have to look into Portland. Wonder if it's affordable.

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2004, 12:29 PM
20% higher COL than St. JO

Spray
1/7/2004, 12:31 PM
Places I think are or would be great:

1. Scottsdale
2. San Antonio
3. Charelston, SC
4. Savannah
5. Tampa
6. Minneapolis
7. Denver

States (a little broader category here)
1. Arizona
2. Wyoming
3. New Mexico
4. North & South Carolina
5. Montana

Ike
1/7/2004, 12:42 PM
although I have limitied travels...here goes:

Norman : Grew up there, always love going back.
Chicago: Live near it now, and love it even tho there is snow on the ground now. Only bad part is the fact that TV stations think I am interested in watching big 10 football.
Tempe: Great place for baseball (my first love) and the bars near ASU are pretty sweet
Raleigh/Durham : Absolutely beautiful area.
West Palm Beach : nice golfing, great night life, but a bit too humid in the summer.

Boarder
1/7/2004, 12:57 PM
I hated Chicago. Rudest people of any place I have ever been. I swore I'd never go back.

Other than Norman, I'd go:

1. DFW. Probably Lewisville, Plano, Frisco, or Grapevine. I love that area, and lots of wakeboarding down there.

2. Kansas City. Yes, it's cold, but I like the town.

3. Denver, or somewhere in Colorado. Littleton, maybe. Just a short jaunt to Breckenridge, where i"d really like to live.

4. Orlando. Nice weather. Lots of wakeboarding.

5. Las Vegas. On the west side, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods. I'd probably be broke in a month, though.

San Antonio would be close to #5. I really like it. I liked Charlotte and Richmond, too. No way on earth I'd live in DC or NYC.

Bottom 5 I've visited and hated:

1. Chicago. I'll never ever ever ever ever ever go back.

2. DC. I saw the stuff on the Mall. Then left before I got mugged or shot.

3. New Orleans. If I was 21, single, and immoral, I'm sure I'd feel different.

4. Corpus Christi. Not my cup of tea, either.

5. Santa Fe. I'm just not into the whole Southwest thing. Even though it was cool to get green chilies on your McDonald's hamburger.

BigRedJed
1/7/2004, 01:03 PM
Corpus Christi does suck. Unless you really like living in a place where everyone looks like they belong on an episode of Cops.

PrideTrombone
1/7/2004, 01:06 PM
This is listed as places to visit and not necessarily live (since I've visited these places and not lived there):

Best:

1. San Francisco - Hell of a lot to see and do... Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, etc. Gorgeous up there too, especially when the fog rolls in.
2. New Orleans - The thing I like about New Orleans is that it's unique. There are only a few places left in the U.S. that just don't do things the same way as the rest of the country, and N.O. is definitely one of them. Would I ever live there? No. But it's a blast to visit.
3. Denver - The mountains are great, and can make up a whole trip in and of themselves.
4. Kansas City - The Plaza area is really pretty fun, plus you've got some really good BBQ.
5. Washington D.C. - The traffic is bad, and crime is bad. On the plus side, you've got to love the history surrounding the place. And some parts of town have a decent nightlife, too. The subway there is really good, so you can get to all of these things easily.
Honorable Mention:
Atlanta (fun, but traffic is a bitch)
San Antonio (hot, humid, but plenty to do)
Memphis (just b/c of the Rendezvous... best ribs EVAR)

Worst:
1. Houston - You can't get to anything in under 30 minutes. What you can get to isn't all that fun. Houston and Dallas really seem like the same city to me. All the decently wealthy cities in Texas all have the same stuff in em, except San Antonio.
2. Birmingham - Sorry, all you Bamanians, but Birmingham didn't impress me in the least. I didn't see much to do while I was there, and the downtown area looked a bit shady.
3. Miami - I just wasn't that impressed. Lots of parties going on, I suppose, but the transit system makes it hard as hell to get to (or back from) them after midnight. No one speaks English, and the actual downtown area is a morgue. All the action is off to the south and east. On the plus side, I really do enjoy Cuban food.
4. Los Angeles - Big and fake. I suppose the movie studios are supposed to be a tourist attraction, but there's really not that much to see in LA, despite the fact that it's freaking huge. A much better time can probably be had a couple hours down the coast in San Diego.
5. Louisville, KY - So we get there, and go looking for something to eat downtown. Everything's closed. At 6 FREAKING P.M.!! We found one decent bar, and ended up going back there every night we were in town.
Honorable Mention:
Nashville (I don't like country music or the Gaylord family)
Amarillo (no explanation should be necessary)
Santa Fe (It's actually a very nice city, with some things to do... but I hate those stupid adobe buildings. Even the gas stations are made to look like that.)

Spray
1/7/2004, 01:11 PM
I actually lived in Birmingham for 5 years and it isn't all that bad. I can understand it not being too impressive at first glance, however.

Flagstaffsooner
1/7/2004, 01:34 PM
I don't like cities, period. I have lived in OKC, Houston and Phoenix. Of those I liked OKC the best, not saying much.

Rhino
1/7/2004, 02:12 PM
Yes:
1. San Diego
2. Chicago
3. Alberquerquequeque
4. Houston
5. Seattle

No:
1. Atlanta
2. New Orleans
3. St. Louis
4. Kansas City
5. Shreveport

C&CDean
1/7/2004, 02:58 PM
I'm thinking many of you are making your city judgment based on one or two visits, or by something you've heard/read/seen.

I'll reserve my list to cities I've spent lots of time in and that have over 100,000 people. However, my preference is to be way out in the country.

To live:

1. OKC - Low crime, cost of living, traffic and plenty to do.
2. Tulsa

3. Ashville, NC

4. Chicago suburbs

5. Kansas City

Best places to visit:

1. San Francisco - you can park your car and simultaneously see the Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Bay Bridge, cable cars, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradellis (sic?) Chocolates, and Lou's Pier 39 Blues Club. Jump the cable car to Chinatown for lunch, and have dinner at a great Italian restaraunt in North Beach.

2. Chicago - in spite of what Boarder says, Chicago is one of the best cities to visit in the world. Michigan Ave., Aquarium, Soldier Field, Sear's Tower, Wrigley Building, Library, and riverboats in the suburbs.

3. San Diego - Weather, Mexican food, La Jolla, missions, seafood, Gas Lamp District, and Coronado Island.

4. Washington, DC - the Mall, museums, National Cathedral, Potomac River, Arlington, and the cleanest subway in the world.

5. New York City - Freaky people, sights, Italian food, Jewish delis, and more freaky people.

Worst places to live:

1. New York City - Visit yes, live HELL no.

2. Washington, DC - Same as NYC. Nobody speaks English in DC anymore. Traffic, bull**** "security" everywhere.

3. Atlanta - traffic, crime, and a bunch of New Yorkers and Bostonians. Nobody even has a southern accent in Atlanta anymore.

4. Denver - Traffic, COL, and it ain't in the freaking mountains people. You can SEE the mountains from Denver, but it's in the plains. I was born in Colorado Springs, and my brother lives in Denver (Arvada) now. His 20 mile drive to work takes him over an hour most days.

5. Anywhere in South Florida. South Florida sucks raw gator eggs.

I have travelled this country extensively with my job and in my youth (Air Force brat) and my own military service. For me, there isn't any place I'd rather live than on my ranch 30 miles Southeast of Norman. God's country.

PDXsooner
1/7/2004, 03:17 PM
bigredjed- looks like you've spent some time here. portland is a hidden jewel. unfortunately, many californions have discovered it. that's why you see bumper stickers such as "stop the californication"

Spray
1/7/2004, 03:20 PM
4. Denver - ... it ain't in the freaking mountains people. You can SEE the mountains from Denver, but it's in the plains.
To me that would be a positive. I'd like to live near the mountains, but not actually in them.

BigRedJed
1/7/2004, 03:34 PM
Oregon, once when I was in Portland for a conference, I heard a joke. Stop me if you've heard this one:

A Texan, a Californian and an Oregonian were on a trail ride together. As they sat around the campfire one night, the Texan reached into his saddle bag, pulled out a bottle of tequila, cracked the lid, and drank down half the bottle in one gulp. With that, he threw the half-full bottle in the air, drew his pistol, and shot the bottle out of mid-air. Glass and tequila went everywhere.

The Californian and Oregonian sat for a moment in stunned silence. Eventually, the Californian asked "why did you waste that tequila?"

The Texan said "Aw, hell! We've got plenty of great tequila where I come from!"

The three sat around the fire a little longer. A little bit later, the Californian reached into his saddle bag, pulled out a bottle of Merlot, chugged about half of it, and then you guessed it, threw it into the air. While it was in the air he, too shot his half-full bottle into shards, spraying wine and glass everywhere.

The other two asked him why he shot his bottle of wine. "Hey, we've got plenty of great wine where I come from," the Californian answered.

A little bit later, the guy from Oregon reached into his saddle bag, pulled out an icy beer from a Portland microbrewery, and drank every last drop. He gently sat the bottle on a nearby rock. Then he took out a pistol, and pointed it at the Californian, pulling the trigger and shooting him dead.

The Texan was startled. "Why the hell did you do that?" he asked.

The Oregonian said "Hell, there's plenty of Californians where I come from. Besides, there's a five cent deposit on that bottle."

BigRedJed
1/7/2004, 03:43 PM
Oh, and you're right about Portland being a hidden jewel. When I ask people around here if they've ever been to the northwest, I usually get a blank stare. People from around here seem to travel everywhere in the country EXCEPT the northwest. They brag on the beauty of the Rockies (and I love the Rockies) but it doesn't compare to Oregon. You'll find a few people who have been to Seattle. Seattle's a great city, but it's not Portland, is it?

It really puzzles me why so few people from around here have made it up there, but as far as I'm concerned Oregon is the most beautiful place on earth and Portland is one hell of a city. Makes for a great combination.

GottaHavePride
1/7/2004, 03:49 PM
1. Chicago
2. Santa Fe
3. Denver
4. San Diego
5. KC

C&CDean
1/7/2004, 04:18 PM
Jed,

Western Oregon is nice. I've done some workshops in Newberg, and have spent some time around Old Town (Dan and Louies Oyster Bar- good stuff), and Rose's (I heard they shut down - bummer). Been to Multnomah Falls, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, the Columbia River Gorge, etc.

However, Oregon is NOT the most beautiful place on Earth my friend. It may be the greenest (Western half), the wettest, and is very pretty, but the massive amounts of hippies, liberals, and junkies knock it down a notch. Hell, you can't even pump your own gas for fear you're gonna kill some little tse-tse fly or something. Seattle and Portland are both nice to visit, but unless you're a card-carrying leftista militant, you don't wanna live there.

Howzit
1/7/2004, 04:48 PM
Not meaning to talk smack, to each his own, but I am surprised at the number of Dallas votes. I've been in the DFW area for five years and can't wait to get out.

I have really enjoyed time spent in:

- Nashville (live music lover's dream)
- Melbourne, FL (small town feel near nice beaches)
- Richmond, VA (class 4 rapids running through downtown)

BigRedJed
1/7/2004, 04:51 PM
Dean,

I meant only from the standpoint of physical beauty, in no way factoring in the social part of the equation. I also qualified it by saying it is the most beautiful in my experience. I'm guessing some parts of Canada or Alaska might be just as tremendous.

As for the political aspects, I agree it can be a little over-the-top liberal. I don't care for the junkies and the transient horde on the streets in Portland, either. I love the environment (in a Ducks Unlimited sort of way), but am revolted by the eco-terrorists who exist there -- not cool. However, although I'm politically conservative, I'm probably a little more tolerant of a lot of artsy-fartsy liberal types. I just think it makes for a good cultural mix.

Spray
1/7/2004, 04:55 PM
Nashville is a good suggestion. Cool town.

What about Knoxville? Its on the river, not too big, not too small. Might be pretty cool. Anyone have the scoop on K-Town.

WILDCAT NATION
1/7/2004, 05:01 PM
Knoxville seems pretty "industrial" to me, kinda like St. Louis.

Now, Oak Ridge is a nice town.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone put KC and St. Louis on the same list. To me, those places are like night and day.

I hate St. Louis.

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2004, 05:06 PM
All I have ever heard from relatives who live in Nashville and Knoxville is gawd I wish we could move. It's so freakin boring here...nothing to do anywhere. Again, they have been there for decades...

After all, it really comes down to weather. After you have lived somewhere for 4 or 5 fives years, you've already seen and done everything there is to do. Just like here in KC. How many times can I go downtown or to the plaza before it gets really dull. The summer's are awesome and the winter sucks major donkey....go figure

WILDCAT NATION
1/7/2004, 05:24 PM
No offense, but what is "awesome" about 95 frigging degrees, no rain, and humidity?

I would take today over that!

bogey
1/7/2004, 05:29 PM
Seattle, Washington
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina
Chicago, Illinois
Tulsa, Oklahoma

KC//CRIMSON
1/7/2004, 05:34 PM
No offense, but what is "awesome" about 95 frigging degrees, no rain, and humidity?

I would take today over that!

I'd rather sweat to death than freeze to death anyday :D

WILDCAT NATION
1/7/2004, 05:41 PM
Ah, just a slight difference of opinion.

BigRedJed
1/7/2004, 06:35 PM
BTW, I'll add Dean's entry of Asheville, NC to my runner-up list. Great place! A little small town for my personal taste, but beautiful setting, and the people in NC seem to be a bit friendlier than SC.

AustinTXHorn
1/7/2004, 06:45 PM
Omaha - I've been there alot, its very much like Oklahoma City - friendly people, hard working people, bit of a cowtown...I like it.
I love Omaha. Couldn't really ever picture myself living there just because I would get bored pretty easily. But its a great place to vacation and spend a few days at the CWS. Downtown area is extremely nice.

PDXsooner
1/7/2004, 07:10 PM
big red- i agree that portland is the most beautiful city in america. the green, with the cascades and mt. hood just can't be matched. colorado can't touch oregon as far as beauty goes. (western oregon, that is). the only place i've been that is more beautiful is western b.c. in canada. the drive up the pacific coast from vancouver to whistler is unreal. the contrast of snow-capped mountains, green forests, and the pacific ocean are like no other place i've ever been.

i hadn't hear that joke, by the way...it's a good one.

c&c- i think you're being a little harsh. although portland definitely has a liberal/eclectic feel, by no means is it as bad as you say. sure, you can find eco-terrorosts, but you can find right-wing freaks that like to shoot up abortion clinics in oklahoma, it doesn't seem to ruin the sooner state. people that extreme are disliked here, too. plus, i've lived here 8 years and don't know any...and i'm a "liberal" to boot!!!

sounds like you've spent some time up here, at least. if you're ever up here, be sure to let me know. i have a hunch we'd get along over a brew much better than you might think.

Jerk
1/7/2004, 07:34 PM
I never knew OKC was this large.

I came across this the other day:

http://www.demographia.com/db-uscity98.htm

I guess it's the small town feel here. Still, kind of boring, and very blah in the winter time.

OKC has more people than:
Atlanta
Miami
Pittsburgh
Kansas City, MO
Oakland
St Louis

Notice all these cities have NFL teams?

...not like I want one here, though.

BigRedJed
1/7/2004, 07:43 PM
In fairness, those cities have more populous suburbs. But most people are surprised when they find out OKC has 1.2 million people in its MSA. The problem with this town is the incorporated area. It's ridiculous. Look at the area on that chart and compare it to any of the other major cities. THAT's why this doesn't feel like a big city.

Jerk
1/7/2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah, I think you're right. We probably have more square miles than Rhode Island!

PDXsooner
1/7/2004, 08:31 PM
to really gauge the size of a city, you have to include the metro area. the city limits are measured so differently from place to place, it's deceiving.

RedstickSooner
1/7/2004, 08:52 PM
I'll limit myself to places I've actually lived.

Best place to live is Seattle, about 20 years ago. It sucks now. Too many people, and real estate prices are laugh-out-loud silly, and so are the residents. Pretentious, crowded, overpriced, and commercialized to the point where you can't seem to find a "real" piece of city anywhere.

Boston's an interesting place to live. However, you could make all your own water by buying hydrogen and burning it, and you'd probably save over what you pay for sewer fees in Beantown. Also gotta love a city that's actually going to *remove* an artery (I don't care whether they've built the Big Dig, that city has waaaaay too much traffic to be even considering removing any roadways) The T is great -- just don't ever plan on doing anything later than 10:00 p.m. No better way to encourage responsibility than to have a public transportation system that shuts down before the bars do.

Minneapolis kicks butt, if you can tolerate the winters. Best schools in the country, great people, etc. The winters are a wee bit harsh, of course.

I'm awful fond of Baton Rouge, but I can't recommend it to anyone because I don't know what they're looking for out of a city. Let's just say that it *really* works for me. Might work for you, might not.

Stay far, far away from Charlottesville, Virginia. It's like the fifth circle of hell, only more rich people watching steeple chases. Oh, and more traffic.

Yellow Springs, Ohio is nice, in a Rod Serling sort of way. Just don't drink the water. Oh, and you can visit the Stoops' hometown easily from here -- Youngstown is just down the road. Be sure and get at least one meal at Youngs Dairy. It rocks.

Hmm. Think that's about it. Also lived in New York city and some hick spot in Mississippi, but both were too brief for me to offer any advice. Plus, I was four months old when I moved away from New York ;)

Blitzkrieg
1/7/2004, 08:55 PM
Pauls Valley
Bochita
Clinton
Stroud
Anywhere but Ardmore

GrapevineSooner
1/8/2004, 01:42 AM
I live in DFW, Love it.

3. DFW, I love it here, but the traffic is starting to beat me down, but that is in every town.

You'll be pleased to know that on February 7th, the freeway construction of 114 from the Southlake/Grapevine border to Westlake will be complete.

BTW, here are my Top cities:

1. DFW - For obvious reasons. I've lived here for 21 of my 27 years of existence on this planet.

2. San Antonio - To echo what JK said. Despite all the touristy attraction SA has, I've always thought of the Alamo City as a city with a small town feel, kind of like OKC.

3. Denver - Close to the Rockies. huge airport. Major sports town.

4. Northern California (SF/SJ/Oak) - Great place to visit, but you've got to have some serious dough to live there. And like C&C said, don't leave home without your American Communist card, especially if you're going to live in Santa Cruz.

5. Portland - My wife and I went up to Portland on our honeymoon. Weather was awesome and like somebody else said, it's a jewel.

But like C&C said, it's a liberal haven.

And my bottom city:

1. Buffalo - The city that smells 24/7. The first time I visited was back in 2000 and the only thing I remember about the city was the stench.

Best thing about Buffalo is Niagara Falls and Toronto.

PhxSooner
1/8/2004, 04:17 AM
For those looking at AZ...

Scottsdale is extremely expensive. It's almost completely built out, and what new houses there are start at $500K and up. We live in Cave Creek, five minutes from north Scottsdale and probably $100K less or more.

We'd do anything to live back in OK. The heat out here is bearable after a few years, but COL is pretty high and both jobs and people are pretty transitory. We've had tons of friends move back home as soon as they get out here.

the-boulder
1/8/2004, 09:57 AM
Visiting a place and thinking its great is nothing like living there, so I am commenting only on cities where I had friends and family who have lived there when they were in a similar point in their life as you.

1. Chicago- other than the cold, I have a few freinds who moved there and love it.
2. Charlotte- bad traffic, but lots of cool things- my brother lived there for two years out of college.

ones I would avoid-

1. San Antonio- my brother now lives here- he is single and 25. Says its the fattest city evar. Nothing special once the touristy river walk stuff wears off. Not a ton of college educated single good looking ladies walking around either. My bro's sales territory includes Austin, so he hangs up there as much as possible. Oh and I hope you like the Spurs, cause thats all your gonna get on the sports talk shows....

2. Boston- if you are liberal you might like it. I have a relative who swings the other way that thinks its great. Be aware of North East arrogance in regards to education. Many are very cliquish in regards to where you went to College and some will almost look at a degree from anywhere west of the Mississippi as nothing more than HS diploma. It sounds as though you have two kinds of people- bluecollar and arrogant ivy league grads or ivy league wannabe's. Also, I hear the chicks aint that pretty.

C&CDean
1/8/2004, 12:09 PM
boulder,

The women in Boston are beautiful - until they open their mouths. Learning to talk in their ****ed up accent makes them have very strange mouth/lip movements.

Example of Oklahoma girl: "We all had a great time at the party. Y'all were nice for inviting us."

Example of Boston girl: "We had a ****in' pissah time at the potty. Yous guys were wicked pissah for inviting us."

Soonerborn03
1/8/2004, 12:11 PM
Pauls Valley
Bochita
Clinton
Stroud
Anywhere but Ardmore

What do ya mean anywhere but Ardmore....you drive 70 miles north you're in Norman or 100 and you're in OKC...you drive 100 miles south you're in Dallas. To the north are the Arbuckle Mountains and Turner Falls. To the south you have Lake Murray. I think it's a pretty sweet location if you ask me.

SOONER44EVER
1/8/2004, 06:36 PM
I've lived in Boston for three years now, and can't wait to get out.

New England is not like the rest of America. It should be it's own country.

I would personally recommend staying west of the Mississippi. JMO
I lived in Cambridge for a year. Its like living in a foreign country.

Boarder
1/5/2006, 05:13 PM
This was a fine thread. A really, really fine thread.

1/5/2006, 05:32 PM
I love Austin. If you can squint enough to block out the orange, it is a great city. And actually, just about anywhere in the Texas Hill Country is nice.

Chicago is incredible. Of course, it was late October when I visited on business, so the leaves and everything made it much more picturesque.

Other than that, I'd have to go with Shattuck, Oklahoma.

mrowl
1/5/2006, 05:34 PM
Not meaning to talk smack, to each his own, but I am surprised at the number of Dallas votes. I've been in the DFW area for five years and can't wait to get out.

I think I agree with Howzit now... 2 years, and some travelling have changed my mind. DFW is off my list.

IB4OU2
1/5/2006, 05:39 PM
1. Florence, Oregon
2. Park City, Utah
3. Clearwater, Florida
4. Norman, Oklahoma
5. Tulsa, Oklahoma

Killerbees
1/5/2006, 05:58 PM
In no particular order, my fav places I have lived or lived close to.

Boston
Orlando - Winter Park is a nice place to live
Charleston - probably my top choice.
Dallas
Honlolulu - Liked living there but I didnt like working there.

Others not quite making the list (mainly because I didnt spend enough time there)

San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver

Places to avoid at all cost.

NYC, Hartford, Norfolk, entire state of New Jersey, Miami, LA

salth2o
1/5/2006, 06:00 PM
Tops:
Ft. Collins, CO
Tempe
Chicago
San Diego
Houston
Indy

Bottom:
Little Rock
Los Angeles
Anytown, Louisiana

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/5/2006, 06:34 PM
Phoenix-lotsa people. It's great this time of year. But, best to be a winter visitor. June-October are nearly intolerably hot.

Penguin
1/5/2006, 06:41 PM
Best:

1. Seattle - the prettiest city I have ever seen.
2. San Fran - the prettiest city I have ever seen.
3. Portland - the prettiest city I have ever seen.
4. West Houston - the wealthiest and greenest city I heve ever lived in.
5. Austin - prettiest city in Texas

Worst:
1. Baton Rouge - I was born and raised there. It's the most backward city I've ever seen. Now, I'm not saying that I'm the most enlightened person in the world, but the people there are extremely racist. It's like taking a trip to the 1950's when I got visit my folks. If there's ever going to be a race war, it will probably start in BR.
2. East Houston - no wealth on that side of the city and it always smells like a chemical plant exploded.
3. Chicago - rudest people I have ever been around. What is this? France?
4. Dallas-Fort Worth - The big D has a purty skyline and there was a TV show named after it, but that's the only nice things I can think of. Bad traffic. A city called "Cow Town." A guaranteed 20 minute taxi time at the world's worst airport. It never fails. We always land on the "wrong" side of the airport and it takes at least 20 minutes to get to the gate. You might as well drop us off and let us walk to the terminal. I never really understood why people like Dallas. I guess cuz it's the closest big city to Oklahoma?
5. Norman - Just to **** everybody off. :D

mdklatt
1/5/2006, 06:42 PM
Cities I've lived in that I have any memory of:

1. Fort Worth
2. Dallas
3. Houston
4. Norman
10. Sioux City, IA (not good enough for 5-9)

Cities I've visited that I might like to live in, no particular order:

Albuquerque
San Diego
Toronto
London
Boulder
Milwaukee (moved away when I was a newborn)
Chicago
Seattle

Cities that are okay to visit, but I have no burning desire to live in:

Orlando
San Antonio
Buffalo
Minneapolis
Tokyo
Bologna, Italy

Please don't make me go back:

Los Angeles

Scott D
1/5/2006, 06:42 PM
Jed is dead to me....dead I say.

TUSooner
1/5/2006, 07:08 PM
What year is this?
OK....
1. OKC: What's wrong with it? Nothing; it's fine and getting better.
2. Bessie, OK: Quiet; pop. 200, more or less
3. San Diego: I loved it there when I was a kid.
4. Virginia Beach (Must spell carefully.) Because it's the only other place I've lived more than 6 months except...

4948. New Orleans. I don't really want to insult this one-of-a kind city that is home of so many wonderful people that I know (and who already know the city's flaws), but for this Okie soul, the charade of "New Orleans charm" is totally OVAH !

FirstandGoal
1/5/2006, 07:37 PM
Las Vegas, baby

crimsonrose
1/5/2006, 07:39 PM
Houston is a great place to live, but it's boring to visit. That's weird, eh?

ITS TRUE!

SoonerWood
1/5/2006, 07:56 PM
Places I lived and would want to live in again:

Bellingham, Washington - For the outdoor person, every weekend is a vacation. You have both saltwater and the Cascade mountains within a stones throw. Vancouver, BC and Seattle are nearby. The Gorge in George, WA is the best place to watch a concert. Yeah the people are a bit liberal but who cares with all the things there are to do where you won't be near any of them.

Scottsdale, AZ - Simply a nice place to live and lots to do in Arizona.

Denver, Co - Another beautiful place to live with fantastic weekends. Just no saltwater, which sucks.

Ojai, CA - Been years since I lived there, but it was a very clean, very pretty place with the whole California girls thing going on everywhere you look.

Places I've lived that I'd never want to live in again:

Boston, MA - Great place to visit but living there wasn't so great. Whoever said the girls there were hot is on drugs, because I never saw any.

Detroit area - Felt like living in a trashcan.

Scott D
1/5/2006, 08:15 PM
Wood is dead to me also.

Blue
1/5/2006, 08:58 PM
Atlanta has moved to my good list. Lots to do, lots of good lookin women.

Traffic is the succ though.

GDC
1/5/2006, 09:14 PM
Prague
Flagstaff
New York City
Ciudad Juarez
Tailholt

nmsoonergirl
1/5/2006, 10:09 PM
Favorite Cities
Bozeman, MT (I'd never be able to find work there)
Flagstaff, AZ (I could find a less than ideal job there, but I might be willing to do that)
Denver (only if I could live 10 minutes from work. This is Mr. NMS' top choice)
Eugene, OR (Portland was a little too large for me
Des Moines, IA (have to agree with Frozen--a surprisingly nice place to live)

I'm pretty happy in Albuquerque, though, and won't be upset if I end up here for a few more years. Nice climate, close to great hiking, and an easy drive home (to Norman).

Places I wouldn't move to for any reason: Dallas, Houston, LA, Las Vegas (all fine places, just not a good fit for me) and Taos--a weird place with lots of strange people. I do not understand the Taos infactuation at all.

jk the sooner fan
1/5/2006, 10:52 PM
i hear that about dallas all the time, and yet when you talk to people who live here......most absolutely love it

AustinTXHorn
1/6/2006, 08:57 AM
Stay the hell away from LA. But that has apparently already been covered on this thread.

San Diego, Austin, and New York City are my top three in no particular order.

Jerk
1/6/2006, 09:03 AM
5. Sapulpa
4. Bristow
3. Stroud
2. Chandler
1. Wellston

Honorable mention - Shamrock, Davenport, Kellyville

Okla-homey
1/6/2006, 09:07 AM
My top Five in no particular order:

Charleston SC*
Portland OR
Kansas City M0*
Nashville TN*
Tulsa OK*

* I've actually lived in or very near these cities

Pieces Hit
1/6/2006, 09:16 AM
Foyil
Chelsea
Bushyhead
Tiawah
Talala

Soonerchaz
1/6/2006, 11:35 AM
Chicago - mixed reviews on this town from previous posts...but it's the best American city in my opinion. Great sports town...great energy and still that solid midwest "feel". Every visit I've had has been great. The folks may not be Oklahoma friendly...but certainly not rude.

NYC - you can't wrap your head around how massive this city is. Too much to see...too much to do. I was pleasantly suprised how clean it was and how friendly the people were.

DC - Lived there for 4 years. Very transient city...incredible mix of people. Expensive...yes. But plenty of FREE things to see. And much more to this city than the museums on the mall.

San Antonio - my folks live there. Best Texas city.

Flagstaff - very pretty and crunchy if that's your thing. On my last visit I saw a guy that looked like Jesus walking barefoot downtown in mid-January.

Tulsa - currently live here. Have really learned to love it.

Wasted 2 years in Florida. Never again. Most depressing state I've ever visited.

sooneron
1/6/2006, 03:43 PM
I'm willing to bet that anyone that negged NYC has never spent more than a long weekend to a week there.

I moved there when I was about to turn 26. I was single and the world was my oyster. I wouldn't trade the experiences there for anything else.
Tons of women from all over the country/world, great eating, EXCELLENT nightlife (nothing closes til 4 or later), good beaches within an hour +, skiing within a 4 hr drive, ****loads of sports teams, women, and you can really get a great opportunity in business if you work hard. No one will bull**** you and stab you in the back like they will in many places. If you suck, you will be told you do. Plus, the OU alum association is doing pretty well. Chances are, you will bump into someone you know at a watch party.

Some people can't take it. Though.

Others-
Providence - up and coming and plenty close to Boston with out the traffic.
San Diego
Denver
Charleston area (although the whole south will rise thing is creepy at times)
Chicago, I haven't been there in a while, but I hear it's cleaned up it's act. I was scared at more times there than in NYC and I lived in Spanish Harlem for a month.

Jimminy Crimson
1/6/2006, 03:52 PM
5. Sapulpa
4. Bristow
3. Stroud
2. Chandler
1. Wellston

Five favorite cities on the Turner Turnpike:

lol