Rocker
11/10/2006, 01:11 PM
Texas was very lucky.

LINK
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-replay111006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

tommieharris91
11/10/2006, 01:43 PM
DUCK AND COVER?

The fiasco on Sept. 16 in Eugene, Ore. began in the fourth quarter when Oregon recovered an onside kick, leading to the winning touchdown in the Ducks' 34-33 victory. Video replays showed that on the kick, an Oregon player touched the ball before it traveled the required 10 yards, meaning Oklahoma should have been awarded the ball.

But the field officials gave the ball to Oregon, and, after reviewing the play, the instant replay officials upheld the call. The Pac-10 conference suspended head replay official Gordon Riese and the entire officiating crew for one game.

Yet the technician who operated the instant replay system said the Pac-10's technology is sub par, that the reception on the replay monitor was blurry and the equipment was to blame during the Oregon-Oklahoma game. Jess Yates, the technician, said he was so upset following the game that he immediately sent an e-mail to Sorgen. He also said he reiterated his concerns about the equipment during a phone conversation with Sorgen.

"I feel so bad that Gordy had to take the fall for that,'' said Yates, who serves as the instant replay technician for all games at the University of Oregon. "… We're not up to speed yet with the equipment itself.''

Pac-10 spokesman Jim Muldoon said the equipment has been "thoroughly reviewed'' since the game.

"We're satisfied with the equipment and I think the fact we haven't had other issues with it supports that.''

Five instant replay technology systems are being used by the 11 Division I-A conferences. The Pac-10 opted for a less expensive system than the one used by four of the six other BCS conferences.

But in a recent interview, Sorgen said, "There was no problem with technology. … There was a mixup in the (instant replay) booth that caused the glitch.''

Riese complained during interviews after the game that he could not "freeze-frame'' the video on the instant replay monitor and he didn't get a replay from the proper camera angle. When contacted by Yahoo! Sports, Riese was more cryptic.

"I'm still employed by the conference and they asked me not to talk,'' said Riese, who asked the Pac-10 for a leave of absence. "I'll take the heat for now, but eventually I'll have an announcement to make.''

Halpin, the liaison for the Football Rules Committee, said conference officiating supervisors can work together to make sure they stay on the same page. But Parry and Sorgen have yet to share details of the high-profile breakdowns. Futhermore, several officiating supervisors described "turf wars,'' where officiating supervisors from different conferences interpret the rules how they want and position their officials how they choose despite instructions from Parry, the national coordinator, and John Adams, the secretary-editor of NCAA rules.

WTF? I hate Gordon Riese. The Big XII has very good reason to sue him and/or the Pac-10 to recover the $12-$15 million the conference got screwd out of.

Rhino
11/10/2006, 01:47 PM
Man, Yahoo Sports does some fantastic in-depth reports.

PAW
11/10/2006, 01:48 PM
Looks like Gordo may have a lifetime job . . . officially.

boomersooner82
11/10/2006, 02:07 PM
It's all such a joke. All these conferences are so sketchy with their handling of the refs. First of all, the NCAA needs to just take control and oversee all officiating. Then they need to just come out and admit that these guys are humans and make mistakes, and perfect the replay systems so those mistakes don't effect the outcome of games. It blows my mind that the conferences are so protective of their own guys. It's a "good ol' boys" system with zero accountability, and that doesn't make for the most accurately officiated games.

Sorry, I'm talking about change. I'll stop making sense now.

Rocker
11/10/2006, 02:16 PM
It's all such a joke. It's a "good ol' boys" system with zero accountability, and that doesn't make for the most accurately officiated games.

Sorry, I'm talking about change. I'll stop making sense now.

Same reason there is NO playoff system "good ol boys"

IronSooner
11/10/2006, 02:24 PM
I find it incomprehensible that there is no grading system or accountability on the part of the refs. And not only that, but that they are protected by their conferences so vehemently. It would be nice if for once the NCAA would put fair play and the rule of law ahead of all this competitive crap, but there's wishful thinking for you.

Rocker
11/10/2006, 02:30 PM
Blame Game?

So last season's Granddaddy of Them All – the 41-38 Texas thriller over Southern California that made Vince Young a legend and the Longhorns BCS champions – was, it could be argued, decided by a $100 TiVo machine and some stadium worker who crisscrossed the cables?

He rags on Boren at the end of the article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=dw-replay111006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Ash
11/10/2006, 02:47 PM
He rags on Boren at the end of the article.

It's laughable that for expressing his opinion in writing regarding the mismanagement of an event that impacted one of the departments at the University over which he presides - Boren is the most evil, incompetent vile scumsucking sh*tbag ever.

Sooner_Bob
11/10/2006, 03:01 PM
Yahoo! covers sports?

Who knew.

sanantoniosooner
11/10/2006, 03:05 PM
I don't Yahoo.

TexasLidig8r
11/10/2006, 03:30 PM
Blame Game?

So last season's Granddaddy of Them All – the 41-38 Texas thriller over Southern California that made Vince Young a legend and the Longhorns BCS champions – was, it could be argued, decided by a $100 TiVo machine and some stadium worker who crisscrossed the cables?

:rolleyes:

Then, you must presume that the USC defense would have stopped Texas from scoring with a first and goal from the 10. Not very likely.

If we're going to look at all missed calls, there was the clear interception by Texas on USC's last drive before the half. Leinart threw it up, Kelson clearly made the INT, came down on his back, with control.. it was ruled.. incomplete. USC scores on that drive.

With the notable exception of your game against Oregon, the breaks and bad calls in college football tend to even out.

jwlynn64
11/10/2006, 03:43 PM
Agreed. Only calls at the end of games can conclusively be shown to affect the outcome of the game. Sucks that this has happened to us twice in the last year.

mikeb
11/10/2006, 03:51 PM

Then, you must presume that the USC defense would have stopped Texas from scoring with a first and goal from the 10. Not very likely.

If we're going to look at all missed calls, there was the clear interception by Texas on USC's last drive before the half. Leinart threw it up, Kelson clearly made the INT, came down on his back, with control.. it was ruled.. incomplete. USC scores on that drive.

With the notable exception of your game against Oregon, the breaks and bad calls in college football tend to even out.
No they do not.......and you know it!:mad:

jwlynn64
11/10/2006, 03:59 PM
In the short term, you might think that bad calls are always going against you but over the long term you will benefit from blown calls as well. I stand by my statement earlier that only in the case of calls at the end of the game can you conclusively show that they actually affected the result of the game.

footballfanatic
11/10/2006, 04:04 PM
Bad calls go both ways, period. The game is so fast, and the rules are ridicuously overly-complicated that it is getting harder and harder to judge the calls by man or machine. The Oregon fiasco was clearly a bad call, but the Tech call is less conclusive. I have watched the play over and over from lots of angles, and I still can't tell conclusively either way. I can see how fans on both sides can watch it and see it their way. What's disturbing about the call is how long it took the ref to raise his hands to signal TD, unless he was conferring with other officials. Just remember this before you decry the whole system--it is far easier to watch a slo-motion replay over several months and draw a conclusion than to make an instant judgement in front of thousands of fans. To counter the sure-to-come cries that this is the responsibility of the review official, I counter that sometimes, even the replay is unclear.

toast
11/10/2006, 04:25 PM
why can't they just plug in a damn tv to go with their monitoring equipment? that way they could see what the entire nation is seeing.

Rocker
11/10/2006, 04:49 PM

Lid
I know what you are saying its just we took a F*CK$ing against oregon
so everytime I see something about thing this I'm going to make light of it whether texas was involved or not.

EstablishedSooner1967
11/10/2006, 04:59 PM
"I'm still employed by the conference and they asked me not to talk,'' said Riese, who asked the Pac-10 for a leave of absence. "I'll take the heat for now, but eventually I'll have an announcement to make.''

WTF... why wait just come out and say what you have to say.. it must be something on the inside you want to say... you have already suspended...

jwlynn64
11/10/2006, 05:02 PM
Bad calls go both ways, period. The game is so fast, and the rules are ridicuously overly-complicated that it is getting harder and harder to judge the calls by man or machine. The Oregon fiasco was clearly a bad call, but the Tech call is less conclusive. I have watched the play over and over from lots of angles, and I still can't tell conclusively either way. I can see how fans on both sides can watch it and see it their way. What's disturbing about the call is how long it took the ref to raise his hands to signal TD, unless he was conferring with other officials. Just remember this before you decry the whole system--it is far easier to watch a slo-motion replay over several months and draw a conclusion than to make an instant judgement in front of thousands of fans. To counter the sure-to-come cries that this is the responsibility of the review official, I counter that sometimes, even the replay is unclear.

Can you explain how TT fans can look at the 1 yard too short spot on 4th down and come to the conclusion that he made it? The touchdown was iffy but the first down was criminal.

boomersooner82
11/10/2006, 05:02 PM

There was no question that the fourth down call was horrible, and they refused to correct the spot after it was obvious on the replays. That ranks right behind the Oregon fiasco.

footballfanatic
11/10/2006, 05:08 PM
There was no question that the fourth down call was horrible, and they refused to correct the spot after it was obvious on the replays. That ranks right behind the Oregon fiasco.

Don't doubt that you are right, but I've never seen the actual fourth-down play.
Can anyone send it to me?

Rhino
11/10/2006, 05:14 PM
Don't doubt that you are right, but I've never seen the actual fourth-down play.
Can anyone send it to me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI0ec11sVvk

footballfanatic
11/10/2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI0ec11sVvk

Okay, that's one bad call.

John Kochtoston
11/10/2006, 06:23 PM
Can you explain how TT fans can look at the 1 yard too short spot on 4th down and come to the conclusion that he made it? The touchdown was iffy but the first down was criminal.

Bingo, and this seems to be the point a lot of people miss about the Tech game. The TD was a bad call. The first down spot was a screwjob.

sooner518
11/10/2006, 06:49 PM
The call in the Rose Bowl is not a big deal since even had he been called down, he still would have had a first down. Its not like USC would have gotten the ball had they not missed that replay call.

As for the Oregon game, I could be watching on a 2 inch black and white TV and still be able to tell that they screwed that play up. I have very little sympathy for the "bad equipment" excuse

Rocker
11/11/2006, 08:42 AM
The call in the Rose Bowl is not a big deal since even had he been called down, he still would have had a first down. Its not like USC would have gotten the ball had they not missed that replay call.

As for the Oregon game, I could be watching on a 2 inch black and white TV and still be able to tell that they screwed that play up. I have very little sympathy for the "bad equipment" excuse

bad equipment is no excuse

soonerhubs
11/11/2006, 09:39 AM
Come on Guys. Poor Gordo is sorry. He feels sick. He has health issues. Lets all feel bad for the rat bastard.