PDA

View Full Version : question for my fellow weight lifters

usmc-sooner
11/10/2006, 09:57 AM
My shoulder started hurting, about a month ago. It hurts when I raise my arm (like I am signally touchdown) but it also hurts when I bench. The funny thing about when I bench if I put 225 or more it doesn't hurt but it hurts when I do the light weight.
Anyone else experience something like this. If I rest it goes away but it seems like it always comes back. If it doesn't get better then I'll probably go to the doctor but I sure don't want to.

picasso
11/10/2006, 10:04 AM
sounds like what my brother had a while ago.

you're just old.;)

usmc-sooner
11/10/2006, 10:06 AM
sounds like what my brother had a while ago.

you're just old.;)

can you rub some old age cream on it?

not that I want you rubbing my shoulders or anything:D

Czar Soonerov
11/10/2006, 10:46 AM
Don't raise your arm (like I you're signally touchdown). Switch to dumbells.

YWIA

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/10/2006, 10:55 AM
Do you drop the lighter weight further down toward your chest than the heavier weight?

picasso
11/10/2006, 10:58 AM
Do you drop the lighter weight further down toward your chest than the heavier weight?
good point. he could also vary the width of his grip.

or, try warming up properly and then stretching first.;)

and after.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/10/2006, 11:01 AM
He's a Marine. He dont need no stinkin warmup!

NormanPride
11/10/2006, 11:01 AM
http://geritol.com/images/product.jpg

;)

SoonerInKCMO
11/10/2006, 11:02 AM
https://www.jerrybaker.com/2005_images/1297h.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
11/10/2006, 11:04 AM
http://www.discreet-romance.com/images/products/DJ131501.jpg

;)

usmc-sooner
11/10/2006, 11:05 AM

I don't think so, I usually warm up with 135, then go up to 205 then 3 sets and 225.

I can feel it hurting the first two sets, but once I get to 225 it doesn't hurt. The only other time it hurts is when I do a shoulder excercise, this is hard to explain but you lift the weight like similar to flapping a wing. Ok standing with your hands at your side and then lifting your arms as to make a T

picasso
11/10/2006, 11:06 AM
http://norvabarbersupply.com/images/jerisosagerub.jpg

usmc-sooner
11/10/2006, 11:06 AM
I've tried glucosomine but it didn't do much.

OklahomaRed
11/10/2006, 11:07 AM
Rotator Cuff Tear - Chronic. Need to ice a couple of days, rest it, and then heat. Come back with lighter weight and then work back up. If it keeps giving you grief, and you want to continue to lift, you need to get an MRI and see actually what you have going on (i.e. something that might be repairable). Of course, this means a longer recovery time and you lose any progress you've made on the heavier weights, plus there is no guarantee that you will ever be able to lift heavier weights in the future. I guess the biggest question is whether or not it is bothering you any other time other than lifting weights?

Signs that you have a Chronic tear:

Occur more often in a person's dominant arm
More commonly found among men older than 40 years
Pain usually worse at night and interferes with sleep
Worsening pain followed by gradual weakness
Decrease in ability to move the arm, especially out to the side
Able to use arm for most activities but unable to use the injured arm for activities that entail lifting the arm as high or higher than the shoulder to the front or side

picasso
11/10/2006, 11:07 AM
I've tried glucosomine but it didn't do much.
it helps. how long did you take it?

OklahomaRed
11/10/2006, 11:09 AM

Studies have demonstrated that it can improve joint movement; however, you need to pay attention to using reputable brands, and secondly, you have to get the dose high enough and take it long enough to notice any effect.

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/10/2006, 11:19 AM
I don't think so, I usually warm up with 135, then go up to 205 then 3 sets and 225.

I can feel it hurting the first two sets, but once I get to 225 it doesn't hurt. The only other time it hurts is when I do a shoulder excercise, this is hard to explain but you lift the weight like similar to flapping a wing. Ok standing with your hands at your side and then lifting your arms as to make a T

Think you'd feel the same discomfort if you did the 225 first? I'm wondering if Pic's hit on the problem in that you need to warm up your shoulders a bit more.

Of course at your advanced age maybe you should look for a nice slow water aerobics class <ducks>:D

usmc-sooner
11/10/2006, 11:24 AM

about 3 weeks.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2006, 11:26 AM
I went strictly to dumbells a couple of years ago because of pain in my shoulders...I warm up doing rotary cuff exercises with light dumbells for a few minutes then I get started....really be careful with coming out to wide because that puts a lot of stress on the shoulders...

Widescreen
11/10/2006, 11:27 AM
I've been suffering with this problem in my right shoulder now for several months. It's improved somewhat in that it only hurts while lifting. Before it would hurt most of the time and would dictate how I would lay while sleeping. I think it's the same exact problem that usmc is having. And OklahomaRed's description almost matches it exactly except I'm 2 years from 40. :)

usmc-sooner
11/10/2006, 11:31 AM
Rotator Cuff Tear - Chronic. Need to ice a couple of days, rest it, and then heat. Come back with lighter weight and then work back up. If it keeps giving you grief, and you want to continue to lift, you need to get an MRI and see actually what you have going on (i.e. something that might be repairable). Of course, this means a longer recovery time and you lose any progress you've made on the heavier weights, plus there is no guarantee that you will ever be able to lift heavier weights in the future. I guess the biggest question is whether or not it is bothering you any other time other than lifting weights?

Signs that you have a Chronic tear:

Occur more often in a person's dominant arm
More commonly found among men older than 40 years
Pain usually worse at night and interferes with sleep
Worsening pain followed by gradual weakness
Decrease in ability to move the arm, especially out to the side
Able to use arm for most activities but unable to use the injured arm for activities that entail lifting the arm as high or higher than the shoulder to the front or side

I took a week off, and went back and it didn't hurt but there's still something there
I'm not 40
It does bug me if I sleep on it to long
pain was getting wose but not unbearable
I can feel it if I lift my arms straight out (not forward)
It's in my left arm and I'm right handed.

There's something wrong in there I just don't want to have to do surgery. The heavy weights I'm not really interested in lifting much heavier than I do now. I can do about 300lb max but I usually just do 225-35 3 or 4 sets after my warm up.

Another thing is does not hurt when I do other exercises like incline press, or shugs. It's weird.

OklahomaRed
11/10/2006, 11:34 AM
I went strictly to dumbells a couple of years ago because of pain in my shoulders...I warm up doing rotary cuff exercises with light dumbells for a few minutes then I get started....really be careful with coming out to wide because that puts a lot of stress on the shoulders...

Definitely be careful going too wide or too heavy on the dumbell flies. I got my elbow hurting and it took forever to get it to quit. I had to back way off the weight I was lifting and just let it rest. It finally quit, but now I'm a big chicken to go much heavier than my current max. :eek:

homerSimpsonsBrain
11/10/2006, 11:47 AM
Another thing is does not hurt when I do other exercises like incline press, or shrugs. It's weird.

That does seem weird cuz I thought incline press put more stress on the shoulder than chest press. You could always go to the doc and find out what it is. Then at least you'd be making an informed decision. Doesn't mean you have to let them cut on it.

Edit: I just remembered this from a friend who had a similar problem. Try only dropping the weight to the point where your upper arm is parallel with the ground. According to his physical therapist, you get almost all the advantage on the pec, without putting as much strain on the shoulder.

Widescreen
11/10/2006, 12:18 PM
Another thing is does not hurt when I do other exercises like incline press, or shugs. It's weird.
Me too. Now, trying to get dumbbells up to the point of doing the press hurts. Shrugs are no problem for me.

william_brasky
11/10/2006, 12:54 PM
Could be bursitis

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/rotatorcuff/a/shbursitis.htm