PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Strength of Schedule

Rogue
11/9/2006, 10:23 PM
So, I'm a closet Boise State fan and I don't care if they go undefeated, they don't deserve to be in a big bowl game this year. And neither does Louisville.
It's the 2nd half of UL vs. Rutgers so one of these points may be moot after the game but here they are:

1) If you are a perennial mid-major "power" team that is ranked in the top 25 and still don't schedule at least a tough non-conference game or 2 or 3, I have no sympathy for your *** when you go undefeated and still don't make it into the money bowl games. So Boise State and Louisville need to STFU.

2) If you are a team that has come from nowhere and beat everybody on your schedule you get some credibility for a year or two, but after that you'd better start scheduling some quality opponents or you're back in the "who cares" file.

I realize some teams schedule out several years in advance but as long as we are stuck with the BCS system, it is the system and everybody knows it.

That is all. For now.

Rogue
11/9/2006, 11:11 PM
So, yes pollsters...give Rutgers the love this year now that they beat "the ville" or whatever Petrino's Papa John's stuffed crust special is calling themselves these days.

Pepper
11/9/2006, 11:25 PM
Boise State does look like they could be dangerous. Every time I watch them play they look impressive, albeit against a weak opponent. But they did thump Oregon State who in turn beat USC.

OUstud
11/9/2006, 11:34 PM
If RU goes and wins out, including a toughie at WVU, then they definately deserve a title game spot. Screw those 1-loss "it's because we're such a tough conference, we need a playoff system, it's not because all of us are average teams, it's because we're so good, I mean, playing the Mississippi teams, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama is so HARD!" teams.

trwxxa
11/10/2006, 09:47 AM
So, I'm a closet Boise State fan and I don't care if they go undefeated, they don't deserve to be in a big bowl game this year. And neither does Louisville.
It's the 2nd half of UL vs. Rutgers so one of these points may be moot after the game but here they are:

1) If you are a perennial mid-major "power" team that is ranked in the top 25 and still don't schedule at least a tough non-conference game or 2 or 3, I have no sympathy for your *** when you go undefeated and still don't make it into the money bowl games. So Boise State and Louisville need to STFU.

2) If you are a team that has come from nowhere and beat everybody on your schedule you get some credibility for a year or two, but after that you'd better start scheduling some quality opponents or you're back in the "who cares" file.

I realize some teams schedule out several years in advance but as long as we are stuck with the BCS system, it is the system and everybody knows it.

That is all. For now.

It's a moot point now, but how can you bang on Louisville. They had Miami on the schedule this year and I am sure we will point that out with our schedule next year.

When the NCAA allowed a 12th game this year, they chose to play at K-State instead of scheduling some I-AA POS. K-State is not what it was 5 years ago, but going on the road to a Big 12 school still warrants a few brownie points.

Rogue
11/10/2006, 10:52 AM
Good point, how could they know that Thug U was gonna have an off-year?
While I was posting they were in a tussle with Rutgers. K-state, meh. If they scheduled that game a few years back sure I'll give them some credit I guess. Just found this looking for their future schedule and I think I can already hear them whining next year...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15477330/

In 2007, Louisville stepped it up just a bit, scheduling Utah, North Carolina State and Kentucky to go with Middle Tennessee State. In 2008, Louisville has Middle Tennessee State and Kansas State.

Again, if you think you are a mid-major and want some respect this time of year, you'd better have played somebody unless you come out of nowhere like Rutgers did this year.

BermudaSooner
11/10/2006, 10:53 AM
Louisville and Rutgers are in the Big East--a BCS conference. If there are only 2 undefeated teams, with each winners of a BCS conference--those 2 need to play.

If Rutgers goes undefeated in a BCS conference, then saying Texas, for example, should get another shot at OSU for the title after they had their shot at home is ridiculous.

dougsooner
11/10/2006, 10:57 AM
Title game should be Boise St. vs. Rutgers!

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 11:20 AM
If RU goes and wins out, including a toughie at WVU, then they definately deserve a title game spot. Screw those 1-loss "it's because we're such a tough conference, we need a playoff system, it's not because all of us are average teams, it's because we're so good, I mean, playing the Mississippi teams, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama is so HARD!" teams.

I think those ""it's because we're such a tough conference, we need a playoff system, it's not because all of us are average teams, it's because we're so good, I mean, playing the Mississippi teams, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama is so HARD!"" schools have abbreviated that title and it reads SEC.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/10/2006, 01:46 PM

That is all. For now.

Bingo....Look at West Virginia's NCS...They didnt even make an attempt to sign up somebody tough to prove themselves...Eastern Washington...Luckily Louisville exposed them before being exposed by Rutgers who will get exposed by WV

Rogue
11/25/2006, 06:04 PM
BSU and Louisville should have to play the play-in game.