PDA

View Full Version : Jerk...check it out...

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2006, 09:12 PM
Get your guns cleaned...

Student leaders at a California college have touched off a furor by banning the Pledge of Allegiance at their meetings, saying they see no reason to publicly swear loyalty to God and the U.S. government.
The move by Orange Coast College student trustees, the latest clash over patriotism and religion in American schools, has infuriated some of their classmates -- prompting one young woman to loudly recite the pledge in front of the board on Wednesday night in defiance of the rule.

"America is the one thing I'm passionate about and I can't let them take that away from me," 18-year-old political science major Christine Zoldos told Reuters.

"The fact that they have enough power to ban one of the most valued traditions in America is just horrible," Zoldos said, adding she would attend every board meeting to salute the flag.

The move was lead by three recently elected student trustees, who [ran] for office wearing revolutionary-style berets and said they do not believe in publicly swearing an oath to the American flag and government at their school. One student trustee voted against the measure, which does not apply to other student groups or campus meetings.

The ban follows a 2002 ruling by a federal appeals court in San Francisco that said forcing school children to recite the pledge was unconstitutional because of the phrase "under God." The U.S. Supreme Court struck down the ruling on procedural grounds but left the door open for another challenge.

http://today.reuters.com/news/ArticleNews.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-11-10T001004Z_01_N09494500_RTRUKOC_0_US-LIFE-PLEDGE.xml

Three of five Associated Students trustees took the action Monday, with board member Jason Ball calling the flag salute "irrelevant to the business of student government."
"While it's great to be an American, and I'm proud to be an American, yadda-yadda-yadda, and I appreciate all the rituals, I'm done" saluting the flag, Ball said Wednesday...

...While religious overtones were one element of the trustees' motivation, other concerns existed. "Nationalism is something that divides people," said Ball, wearing black boots, a beret and a hammer-and-sickle pin.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/homepage/article_1349072.php

Jerk
11/9/2006, 09:31 PM
I'm glad I don't live there.

I'm sure they are, too.

I wouldn't take a load out there in my truck if they paid me 5 bucks a mile. Not unless they let me drop it off in Parker, AZ. "Here's your sh.t, come get it"

I hope the blue dog democrats can distance themselves from that kind of radical crap.

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2006, 09:35 PM
Me too. I'll be in San Franthithco all next week. Hope Mr. Scrotal Inflation is not around.

Saw this as well:

John Murtha on Iraq today:

Winning is not a strategy, victory is not a strategy.
We’re gonna say, here’s a plan that we have, and Speaker Pelosi has signed on to the plan I have, stability in the Middle East, stability in Iraq comes from redeployment of our troops, and that’s gonna be what we’ll work for.http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6455096

Retreat to victory and stability!

The blue dogs won't have a chance I am afraid.

Jerk
11/9/2006, 09:41 PM
I really don't want to think about the consequences of withdrawing before the new gov't can stabilize.

If we lower the flag and leave before the job is done it will mean the end of America as a superpower and no one will ever see us as a credible force for good again. The Iraqis who are our friends will be slaughtered by those who aren't.

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2006, 09:53 PM
I cannot imagine anyone actually wanting to bend over and give AQ or Iran victory.

It will be Afganistan with trillions of dollars of oil money if we do that.

Jerk
11/9/2006, 10:00 PM
Do you ever listen to Neal Bortz up there on 740AM?

I don't agree with everything he says, but today he said America's best days are behind us. Not exactly Ronald Reagan type optimism, but I'm starting to wonder if everything goes down from here. Empires only last so long. Nations have lifespans. It's not over, though... First thing is first...and I hope Sicem reads this...we have got to purge the Republican Party of the big government types. It has got to happen.

SicEmBaylor
11/10/2006, 11:33 PM
I hope Sicem reads this...we have got to purge the Republican Party of the big government types. It has got to happen.

Welcome to the cynical side of life, the water is frigid.

Yes, it has been going downhill for several generations now. This is definitely not the party of Goldwater and Reagan.

Big government "conservatism" has been every bit as bad for the nation as big government liberalism. The current GOP leadership MUST be removed and replaced with leaders who are untainted by Congressional scandals and/or the handling of Iraq. They must be small limited government conservatives who are budget hawks and can work with moderate/conservative blue dog democrats to reduce spending.

The first step toward GOP recovery in the Senate will be getting the hell rid of Frist when he leaves office after this term. There's no chance of him being replaced by Coburn but oh how sweet that would be!

If you REALLY want to do something to make a difference right now, this very moment, then call/email Oklahoma's House delegation(remember to contact Fallin and not Istook) and tell them to support Mike Pence for Majority Leader and John Shadegg for Whip.

Jerk
11/10/2006, 11:37 PM
Okay. That needs to happen. Did you see the exit poll results that said 6 in 10 Americans believe that Republicans are the party of Big Government?

SicEmBaylor
11/10/2006, 11:41 PM
Okay. That needs to happen. Did you see the exit poll results that said 6 in 10 Americans believe that Republicans are the party of Big Government?

Yes and they aren't wrong.

Jerk
11/10/2006, 11:49 PM
Yes and they aren't wrong.

I didn't vote in my first election back in 1994 for this to happen.

I shouldn't have defended them here like I did for so long, but the alternative scared the crap out of me. The fact that so many blue dog democrats got elected actually has made me re-evaluate the results...and things aren't so bad. The toilet had to be flushed. Now let's see how the dems do.