PDA

View Full Version : The Boz's Record is in Jeopardy...

Octavian
11/9/2006, 07:15 PM
As the only two-time Butkus Award winner.

Paul Posluszny from Penn St. won the the 2005 award and now has the chance to become only the second repeat winner in the history of the award.

He would join Bosworth.

The 2006 finalists are:

-James Laurinaitis, Ohio State, Sophomore

-Patrick Willis, University of Mississippi, Senior

-Paul Posluszny, Penn State, Senior

Oklahoma linebackers have won 4 Butkus awards, the most of any program.

Butkus Award Homepage (http://www.butkusaward.org/)

Big Red Ron
11/9/2006, 07:29 PM
They already call themselves LBU so I welcome them doing something done at OU twenty years ago. It could spark a debate as to who really is LBU.

Scott D
11/9/2006, 07:50 PM
Posluszny's a finalist on name only. He's had a decent year, but the fact that he's listed as a finalist over Junior Dan Cooper from Penn State is a joke.

Stitch Face
11/9/2006, 07:53 PM
I didn't know James had laurinaitis.

Octavian
11/9/2006, 08:36 PM
I'd like it if Boz remained the only 2-time winner.

And PSU is Linebacker U like Pokey is Tailback U

picasso
11/9/2006, 11:26 PM
I'd like it if Boz remained the only 2-time winner.

And PSU is Linebacker U like Pokey is Tailback U
Pokey was tailback U for 2 seasons in the 80's.

Fraggle145
11/9/2006, 11:32 PM
He had a really slow start to the season and has only really been himself for the last 5 games... just sayin

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 11:41 AM
Pokey was tailback U for 2 seasons in the 80's.

yeah... Thurman Thomas was a 2-time AA back, Barry Sanders was a 2-time AA, Terry Miller was a 2-time AA back, Gerald Hudson led the nation in rushing in 1990, Ernest Anderson led the nation in rushing in 1982, Bob Fenimore was a 2-time AA, blah blah blah..

picasso
11/10/2006, 12:16 PM
yeah... Thurman Thomas was a 2-time AA back, Barry Sanders was a 2-time AA, Terry Miller was a 2-time AA back, Gerald Hudson led the nation in rushing in 1990, Ernest Anderson led the nation in rushing in 1982, Bob Fenimore was a 2-time AA, blah blah blah..
we've got 3 Heisman tailbacks Poke.

USC is Tailback U. Pokie had a good run in the 80's and it was a good one gotta admit.

n8v_ndn
11/10/2006, 12:27 PM

Can you ask Booner to make this a plaque outside the Mecca of College Football :)

picasso
11/10/2006, 12:31 PM
ok, I'm no stat nerd but this list is just from a quick browse of Sooner AAs:

12 All-Americans at RB with 4 of them being 2 timers.

5 All-Americans at FB.

3 RB Heisman winners.

it's also interesting to remember those great backs we had in the 70's and 80's were sharing the load w/others in the wishbone.

belch.

fadada1
11/10/2006, 01:12 PM
Can you ask Booner to make this a plaque outside the Mecca of College Football :)
it's already been made into a t-shirt and medallion.

fadada1
11/10/2006, 01:23 PM
PSU has had some hella good line backers in the past; arrington, shane conlan, jack ham. always been able to get the rough and tough coal mining kids from PA to do very well.

picasso
11/10/2006, 01:24 PM
PSU has had some hella good line backers in the past; arrington, shane conlan, jack ham. always been able to get the rough and tough coal mining kids from PA to do very well.
don't forget Chris Penn. he was gonna go to USC until his gf got knocked up.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/10/2006, 01:41 PM
yeah... Thurman Thomas was a 2-time AA back, Barry Sanders was a 2-time AA, Terry Miller was a 2-time AA back, Gerald Hudson led the nation in rushing in 1990, Ernest Anderson led the nation in rushing in 1982, Bob Fenimore was a 2-time AA, ...and that's about it...

Fixed it for ya...

You want to put your RB rosters since 1990 up against ours and see whose stands out?

How about before 1980?

Go for it Pokie...

Let me help you, and this is just off the top of my head:

Clendon Thomas
Tommy McDonald
Billy Vessels
Prentice Gautt
Jim Grisham
Steve Owens
Greg Pruitt
Joe Washington
Kenny King
Elvis Peacock
Horace Ivory
Billy Sims
David Overstreet
Stanley Wilson
Spencer Tillman
Marcus Dupree
Lydell Carr
Anthony Stafford
Patrick Collins
Mike Gaddis
De'Mond Parker
Quentin Griffin
Adrian Peterson
(and if he stays to form)
Allan Patrick

Fact is you can't get much deeper than about the 6 names you have listed that anyone who follows college football nationwide would even remotely recognize. I mean c'mon... Gerald (WHO!?!?) Hudson?

Pfffftt.

fadada1
11/10/2006, 01:47 PM
aggies is so stupid.

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 01:50 PM
OU has had great running backs, obviously. I'm not arguing that. All I'm saying is that OSU's running back tradition isn't based solely on the 80's.

A lot of OU's all-americans are based on the fact that they played @ OU and were part of unbelievable teams and great offenses. It's a lot harder to be an all-american @ Oklahoma State than it is @ Oklahoma.

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 01:51 PM
and that list is a joke soonerboy

fadada1
11/10/2006, 01:52 PM
oh lord.......

picasso
11/10/2006, 01:54 PM
how so? sure it's got some homerism but most of those guys had great stats at OU and solid pro careers.
oSu has a good RB tradition but it's not Tailback U. sorry. not even in the Big 12.

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 02:00 PM
how so? sure it's got some homerism but most of those guys had great stats at OU and solid pro careers.
oSu has a good RB tradition but it's not Tailback U. sorry. not even in the Big 12.

I never said OSU was tailback u... or even has the best tailback tradition in the Big 12... or the state.... just saying that it goes well beyond the 1980s.... and the list is a joke b/c of the homerism.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/10/2006, 02:00 PM

Nice try. Unless of course you are talking about YOUR list.

Those Sooner names are easily recognizeable by even modest gazers across the college football landscape over the age of 30. It is not at all as impressive as lists that could be compiled by USC, Notre Dame, and a few others, and I don't claim it to be.

But it is so far beyond anything you and your puke-clad wannabe's could ever come up with, we'd have to shut down OUr program and you'd have to play for another 30 years (and that's being generous) to catch up.

Go ahead, add Vernon Morency if you like. Heck, Hart Lee Dykes ran a few reverses back in the day... maybe you could count him, too, if it makes you feel better.

picasso
11/10/2006, 02:01 PM
A lot of OU's all-americans are based on the fact that they played @ OU and were part of unbelievable teams and great offenses. It's a lot harder to be an all-american @ Oklahoma State than it is @ Oklahoma.
actually they are based on the fact that they were great players with great numbers who played on great teams.

so, it's harder for oSu RB to make AA therefore oSu RB > OU RB. got it.

fadada1
11/10/2006, 02:02 PM
i didn't even know what OU was when when i was little. but i knew who joe washington was.

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 02:10 PM
actually they are based on the fact that they were great players with great numbers who played on great teams.

so, it's harder for oSu RB to make AA therefore oSu RB > OU RB. got it.

i still haven't read the part that i said osu backs were better than ou backs... in fact, i've said the opposite... most all-americans come from top-notch teams/programs, that's a fact... sure, they're great players, but their numbers/accomplishments are bolstered b/c of the teams they play on..... i'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it is a fact.

fadada1
11/10/2006, 02:18 PM
i would think it would harder for a running back to shine on a better team. AD did pretty well with jason white firing balls all over the place. oh, and he was a freshman. AD would've run for 3000 yards at oklahoma a&m. of course, he never even considered okstate... who'd a thunk THAT???

picasso
11/10/2006, 02:24 PM
not Robert Allen. AD was on their short list ya know.

I do have to admit I'm glad oSu didn't get that Goodson kid. I realize Savage has potential but Goodson is going to be special.

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 02:31 PM
Savage is a jr. Toston is a pretty good frosh, but yeah, Goodson would've been a better get, I think.

Seamus
11/10/2006, 02:33 PM
Barry Sanders was a two-time AA?

I'm guessing that since he had all of 622 yards the year before his breakout Heisman season, he wasn't AA running back that year. And I'm guessing that since he skipped his senior season, he wasn't AA that year.

Did he make AA doing something else, like as a kick returner? Oh, I forgot -- we're talking tailbacks ...

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 02:36 PM
KR.... I just said he was a 2-time AA... and he was a tailback both years...

OldGuyinStudentSection
11/10/2006, 05:15 PM
Patrick Willis will win the Butkus.

Boz's record is safe for at least another 2 years.

Octavian
11/10/2006, 07:16 PM
Patrick Willis will win the Butkus.

Boz's record is safe for at least another 2 years.

why are you talking about the Boz and the Butkus Award in my Running Back U thread? :D

Octavian
11/10/2006, 07:18 PM
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9264/bdwqxrxdydnmtqc20041209hd8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)