PDA

View Full Version : Why are almost all A&M students white?

Penguin
11/9/2006, 07:09 PM
I just don't understand how a public university in the south could be 90+% white.

One Aggie I know told me that when you see a black student on campus, you know that he/she must be an athlete.

I absolutely do not imply that there is discrimination going on. Perhaps there is nothing in the A&M curriculum that appeals to any potential minority student?

It's weird. I really don't understand how there can be such a lily white campus in the south at a public university.

Any ideas?

royalfan5
11/9/2006, 07:37 PM
It is an Ag school, I'm guessing that has something to do with it as there isn't a ton of American Minorities in Agri-business.

Madd Dawg
11/9/2006, 07:39 PM
White also includes hispanics. The state of Texas is 85% white. The majority of blacks live in the big cities and probably don't have much of an intrest to go there considering it has a reputation for having a bunch of conservative white people.

saucysoonergal
11/9/2006, 08:02 PM
I don't know of many people of color who like sheep or being hog-tied with duct tape, but then again, what do I know.

dolemitesooner
11/9/2006, 08:04 PM
You aint been hanging in my hood then saucy

tbl
11/9/2006, 08:17 PM
White also includes hispanics. The state of Texas is 85% white.

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/005514.html

Texas has now joined Hawaii, New Mexico and California as a majority-minority state, along with the District of Columbia, the U.S. Census Bureau reported today. Five states — Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona — are next in line with minority populations of about 40 percent. (The minority population includes all people except non-Hispanic single-race whites.)

According to July 1, 2004, population estimates, Texas had a minority population of 11.3 million, comprising 50.2 percent of its total population of 22.5 million.

jrsooner
11/9/2006, 10:41 PM
I absolutely do not imply that there is discrimination going on. Perhaps there is nothing in the A&M curriculum that appeals to any potential minority student?What I can't understand is that everyone is talking about this "racist" Aggie video that's supposed to be on the internet, and I can't find the thing. It's on radio talk shows, newspapers, tv etc. but I can't find the thing on the internet to even form an opinion on it.

slickdawg
11/9/2006, 10:52 PM
Jesus, who wants to go to school with a buncha cracker aggies?

royalfan5
11/9/2006, 10:56 PM
Jesus, who wants to go to school with a buncha cracker aggies?
other cracker aggies?

setem
11/9/2006, 10:56 PM
I don't care what kinda students they have.

Could you imagine what it would have been like if we mugged down at the 77-0 smashing?

I am pretty sure some lethal form of herpes would have been born!

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 11:05 PM
What I can't understand is that everyone is talking about this "racist" Aggie video that's supposed to be on the internet, and I can't find the thing. It's on radio talk shows, newspapers, tv etc. but I can't find the thing on the internet to even form an opinion on it.

i haven't seen it....but, sounds to me like it was a parody that the Ags didn't get or hit too close to home. (it may have been tasteless and reprehenisble, but still).

i could be wrong, but i think a lot of people whiffed on what this was REALLY about.

picasso
11/9/2006, 11:46 PM
k-state is the worst in the Big 12. their fans don't even have tans. they're clear!

GottaHavePride
11/9/2006, 11:58 PM
What I can't understand is that everyone is talking about this "racist" Aggie video that's supposed to be on the internet, and I can't find the thing. It's on radio talk shows, newspapers, tv etc. but I can't find the thing on the internet to even form an opinion on it.

Here ya go. (http://media.putfile.com/Gig-Em)

:D

King Crimson
11/10/2006, 12:04 AM
Here ya go. (http://media.putfile.com/Gig-Em)

:D

please. i put pavement on pause for that ****. bad.

Melo
11/10/2006, 12:41 AM
Yall keep bitching, while I keep going to my little old aTm feeder school.

The only black people on campus are on the football team, really.

Speaking of College Station, I'm going this weekend, with the bf and our buddies. We're going to go f**k with the retards.

Anyone going to be there this weekend? We should have done this last weekend. Its hard to miss us. We'll be the two idiots doing a tandem wheelie down main street (or whatever the heck that big street is).

OCUDad
11/10/2006, 01:43 AM
Speaking of College Station, I'm going this weekend, with the bf and our buddies. We're going to go f**k with the retards.Given up on that chastity thing, eh?

Melo
11/10/2006, 01:56 AM
Given up on that chastity thing, eh?

Uh... this is one of those situations where I meant one thing, and did not word it properly. :(

Okla-homey
11/10/2006, 06:47 AM
I just don't understand how a public university in the south could be 90+% white.

I got news for you...every big state university in the South is like that. Seriously. This is true even in Deep South states like SC and AL, which have black populations approaching 40%. In most cases, their big state universities have fewer than 5% black students.

I did a paper on this subject during my masters work years ago. It's attributable to a few things. One significant factor is the presence of "historically black colleges and universities" in those states that tend to pull most of the black students for several intangible reasons. Chief among them is that there is a perception in the black community that black kids are somehow more likely to graduate at one of these schools than at one of the big state schools. Another is, despite the purpose and existence of public school integration, a lot of black kids feel more comfortable in colleges that were established just for them in the era before integration.

For example, Alabama has four historically black colleges. They are Tuskegee, Alabama State, Spellman, and Alabama A&M. Result? Bama and Auburn are almost exclusively white. Ditto for SC. SC has several HBC's; SC State, Voorhees, Claflin, Benedict, and Allen. Thus, the Univ. of SC, and especially Clemson are white as snow.

Another factor is the fact those big state publics in the South don't really try too terribly hard to recruit black kids in the first place, except for their football, basketball and track teams.

Finally, another big factor is the fact that black kids are less likely to have finished high school, or have the money available for college, and the three factors I've mentioned combine to set up a scenario in which the big state universities stay very, very white.

It's not totally a Deep South thing either. For example, I'm not sure of the size of the black population in texass, but I'm pretty sure it's a higher percentage than in OK. That said, looking for black kids at UT, TT (and the aforementioned aTm) is pretty fruitless.

SoonerInKCMO
11/10/2006, 10:25 AM
Chief among them is that there is a perception in the black community that black kids are somehow more likely to graduate at one of these schools than at one of the big state schools.

I've always thought that was true... is it not?

mdklatt
11/10/2006, 10:26 AM

The South Oval isn't going to be confused for South Oak Cliff any time soon....

Mixer!
11/10/2006, 10:46 AM
White also includes hispanics. So then am I to understand that EVERY illegal alien coming over the border is a descendent of the conquering Spaniards as opposed to the conquered Aztecs/Mayans/Chichimecs/Olmecs/Toltecs/Zapotecs/etc?

OklahomaRed
11/10/2006, 11:28 AM
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/005514.html

Texas has now joined Hawaii, New Mexico and California as a majority-minority state, along with the District of Columbia, the U.S. Census Bureau reported today. Five states — Maryland, Mississippi, Georgia, New York and Arizona — are next in line with minority populations of about 40 percent. (The minority population includes all people except non-Hispanic single-race whites.)

According to July 1, 2004, population estimates, Texas had a minority population of 11.3 million, comprising 50.2 percent of its total population of 22.5 million.

What I wonder is when whites become a minority, are we going to get the same protection regarding academic admission standards, etc? :D

Penguin
11/10/2006, 12:24 PM
The South Oval isn't going to be confused for South Oak Cliff any time soon....

You're white?

lexsooner
11/10/2006, 03:31 PM

One Aggie I know told me that when you see a black student on campus, you know that he/she must be an athlete.

I absolutely do not imply that there is discrimination going on. Perhaps there is nothing in the A&M curriculum that appeals to any potential minority student?

It's weird. I really don't understand how there can be such a lily white campus in the south at a public university.

Any ideas?

If you watched the OU-Aggie game last week and saw the cadet corps and their carrying on during the game, you should perfectly understand why few minorities want to go to Aggie U.

King Crimson
11/10/2006, 03:43 PM
If you watched the OU-Aggie game last week and saw the cadet corps and their carrying on during the game, you should perfectly understand whyanybody want to go to Aggie U.

fixed. what a bunch of knucklehead ball squeezers who are fans of a team that grossly overestimates it's place on the CFB map.

fadada1
11/10/2006, 04:09 PM
that haven't been referred to as the "hitler youth" for no reason.