PDA

View Full Version : you FoodTV people: Jacques Pepin on PBS

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 04:51 PM
you wanna see someone with serious skillz and chops, check out Jacques Pepin on your local PBS station. he is old school. the guy had been around forever, and he's no chunky makeup tart like Rachel Ray. just watch the way he uses his knife and how fast and deliberate he works....just the skill.

he's legit. he was the personal Chef for Charles De Gaulle. and he worked at a Howard Johnson's pancake house as a kid. hey!

his Technique books on the French cuisine are pretty cool too. but, they are frenchied out with goose liver gravy and stuff....but the real shizz about knife technique and "couture"--the way to hold and use knives, how to clean and cut a whole chicken or turkey, etc.

while the current show is a bit pandering (Fast Food My Way)....it's none of that floating camera stylization stuff. there's no editing, just long shots of him not ****ing up (hint).

he puts the FoodTV people to shame. they can't carry his jock, and i bet they'd tell you that too.

if you are really interested in learning something.....just watch the way he uses his hands. (yeah, i know, there's a dozen jokes there).

picasso
11/9/2006, 05:18 PM
bet he can't save a whole stack of bad beef ala Frank Costanza '51.

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 05:23 PM
bet he can't save a whole stack of bad beef ala Frank Costanza '51.

i bet he could. any report on that big number you must have shot at the Oaks earlier in the week, cool breeeze? ;)

picasso
11/9/2006, 05:30 PM
i bet he could. any report on that big number you must have shot at the Oaks earlier in the week, cool breeeze? ;)
not to jack your thread man but it was up and down 81.:O
started out with a birdie (seems to be the norm there) and then made a few doubles.
got my irons fixed on the back and had two back to back bird putts within 10 feet. missed 'em both.
I can't hit my driver and don't pin hunt with my irons anymore. glad winter is approaching.

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 05:39 PM
at least you didn't 3 putt a lot to shoot 81 (i've done that more times than i can remember, and i'm a good putter).

first hole is that par 4 kinda down hill?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, but I'd bang Rachel Ray.

I wouldn't bang some french guy.

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah, but I'd bang Rachel Ray.

I wouldn't bang some french guy.

i hate to be old-fashioned and ****, but i don't think you are going to bang Rachel Ray by watching her cook ground beef for "spicy" tacos. like i said, if you want to learn something.....

Tulsa_Fireman
11/9/2006, 05:51 PM
i hate to be old-fashioned and ****, but i don't think you are going to bang Rachel Ray by watching her cook ground beef for "spicy" tacos. like i said, if you want to learn something.....

I learned that I get a funny feeling in my happy place watching Rachel Ray instead of some french guy.

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 06:08 PM
I learned that I get a funny feeling in my happy place watching Rachel Ray instead of some french guy.

pron, my brother. 'cause Rachel Ray ain't all that.

picasso
11/9/2006, 06:22 PM
at least you didn't 3 putt a lot to shoot 81 (i've done that more times than i can remember, and i'm a good putter).

first hole is that par 4 kinda down hill?
yep, if you spank it (I did) it's just a tap sand wedge in.
I did par 16, just missed a 10 footer for par on 17 and made 4 on 18. not a bad finish, especially considering my poor drives on those holes.:mad:

Boarder
11/9/2006, 06:27 PM
There used to be a dude named Pasquale that had a show. I really liked it. I will check out this Frenchie show of which you speak.

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 06:52 PM
There used to be a dude named Pasquale that had a show. I really liked it. I will check out this Frenchie show of which you speak.

Chef Pasquale....very much a ladies man....

it's not about the food or "recipes", it's about Pepin using his knives. it looks easy, and watch the speed.