PDA

View Full Version : OU/Nebraska Rivalry

Ardmore_Sooner
11/9/2006, 03:10 PM
I know everyone wants to see the revival of this old time rivalry, so I had a question. On the off years when we didn't play them, could we schedule them as a non-conference opponent? Are there any rules barring this from happening? If not, does anyone think that we should try to go in this direction?

soonerboy_odanorth
11/9/2006, 03:16 PM
There have been rumblings that the Big XII may add the "permanent opposite division rivalry" game just as the SEC does, now that the 12th game is permanent.

Would look something like this:

OU-Nebraska
Texas-Colorado
Texas A&M-K-State
Texas Tech - ISU
Oklahoma State-Mizzou
Baylor-Kansas

I'd be in favor of it, personally.

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 03:21 PM
Texas-Colorado would be pretty ugly....i can't see the Buffs wanting any part of that (though they did play some good games in teh mid-90's). they HAVE lost twice to Baylor in a row....eh?

how about Tech-Mizzou.....it could be in both the 11 and 2:30 kickoff spots. that game would take a year to play.

tru2ou
11/9/2006, 03:26 PM
I would imagine that OU, Nebraska and Colorado would all be against this proposal.

There is really no reason to play a strong non conference schedule anymore.

As long as you start the season ranked in the top 20, if you go undefeated you have a great shot at playing in the title game.

When was the last time there were three undefeated teams eligible for the BSC? I dont think its ever happened.

So why play a tough schedule?

- TRU

SoonerStormchaser
11/9/2006, 03:37 PM
When was the last time there were three undefeated teams eligible for the BSC? I dont think its ever happened.

I dunno about three undefeated teams being eligible for the BSC, but the last time there were three undefeated teams eligible for the BCS was in 2004 when SUC, Allbarn and OU went undefeated. I won't mentioned what happened after that!

yermom
11/9/2006, 03:37 PM
you mean other than in 2004?

tigepilot
11/9/2006, 03:41 PM

Uh... 2004

Actually, It sounds like the permanent rivalry thing would be an actual conference game. This would give an advantage to teams that got to play an easier opponent (like playing baylor) each year. I don't think that teams that would get a tradational toughy (OU vs Nebraska) each year will be in favor of this though I would like to see OU play Nebraska on the Friday following Thanksgiving each year like they used too when I was a kid.

OSUAggie
11/9/2006, 03:43 PM
Other than OU-Nebraska, there really aren't any north-south traditional rivalries... OSU is the only other Big 8 team in the South and they've sucked for so long that they have no traditional rivals in the north... I think the only semi-logical way would be to rid the conference of divisions and keep the rivalries that way and rotate the other portion of the schedule.... Or just lock OU-Nebraska and let the other five alternate for the other 2 OU games against the North and vice versa.

Fraggle145
11/9/2006, 03:58 PM
There have been rumblings that the Big XII may add the "permanent opposite division rivalry" game just as the SEC does, now that the 12th game is permanent.

Would look something like this:

OU-Nebraska
Texas-Colorado
Texas A&M-K-State
Texas Tech - ISU
Oklahoma State-Mizzou
Baylor-Kansas

I'd be in favor of it, personally.

I've said it before and I'll say it again if the SEC can do this (i.e., UGA vs. Auburn longest running rivalry in the south) then we should be able to get this done also.

East Division West Division
Florida LSU
Georgia Auburn
Kentucky Mississippi State
South Carolina Arkansas
Tennessee Alabama
Vanderbilt Ole Miss

They also play a 5-1-2 format. 5 interconference 1 rivalry 2 other side of conference for 8 conference games. We play 5-3. Dont see why this would be so difficult.

OSUAggie
11/9/2006, 04:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again if the SEC can do this (i.e., UGA vs. Auburn longest running rivalry in the south) then we should be able to get this done also.

Florida LSU
Georgia Auburn
South Carolina Arkansas
Tennessee Alabama
Vanderbilt Ole Miss

They also play a 5-1-2 format. 5 interconference 1 rivalry 2 other side of conference for 8 conference games. We play 5-3. Dont see why this would be so difficult.

who would want to lock w/texas when they're not traditional rivals??

yermom
11/9/2006, 04:06 PM
yeah, that's technically easy, but who does any of the old SWC teams really care enough to play in the North every year?

Ardmore_Sooner
11/9/2006, 04:06 PM
Or we could just go back to the Big 8......

King Crimson
11/9/2006, 04:07 PM
yeah, that's technically easy, but who does any of the old SWC teams really care enough to play in the North every year?

because if you listen to Texas fan, a UT-Rice OOC matchup isn't a patsie for the horns....but renewing an old conference rivalry.....

yermom
11/9/2006, 04:08 PM
well, they didn't seem to enjoy the renewal of the Arkansas rivalry ;)

Stoop Dawg
11/9/2006, 04:14 PM
Or we could just go back to the Big 8......

Now there's a winner of an idea.

Fraggle145
11/9/2006, 04:16 PM

Who cares about them? All I care about is getting OU/Neb back. All of the rest of them can go **** themselves :D

Harry Beanbag
11/9/2006, 05:19 PM
I'm a little nostalgic for the old OU-NU games, but there really is no reason to shoot ourselves in the foot and purposely make our schedule more difficult than any other team (other than Nebraska of course) in the conference. Just doesn't make any sense if the goal is to win championships.

Scott D
11/9/2006, 05:48 PM
I refuse to recognize Nebraska as a Division 1-A program as long as that idiot is on their sideline.

mdklatt
11/9/2006, 06:29 PM

The Big 10++ does this, too, and it's idiotic. First of all, it's not fair. We have to play Nebraska every year and Texas doesn't? Who gets to play Baylor or Kansas every year? Sure, even those teams have a good season every now than and then, but over the long haul having Kansas or Baylor as your "rival" is like being given an extra win year in and out. And we have to tussle with Nebraska every year? Screw that. The second problem is, other than OU/Nebraska, what other North/South rivalries are there? "Hey Texas Tech, you hate Missouri now." "Uh, okay?" A rivarly would naturally develop if they played every year, but that's just silly.

tommie15
11/9/2006, 06:35 PM
I refuse to recognize Nebraska as a Division 1-A program as long as that idiot is on their sideline.

Good lord you hillbillies hold a grudge!;)

Honestly, what we need is a game between our teams when we are both highly ranked to get a little mutual respect back into the rivalry. I think the Big XII championship might take care of that next year. Gotta say, though, seems like there is more repsect between the horns and NU than NU and OU nowadays. Strange.

mdklatt
11/9/2006, 06:38 PM
Florida LSU
Georgia Auburn
South Carolina Arkansas
Tennessee Alabama
Vanderbilt Ole Miss

Ah yes, that classic Arkansas/South Carolina rivalry. The westernmost SEC team vs. the easternmost SEC team...unsweetened tea vs. sweetened. You've got to love the pagentry of college football. And you know those Kentucky boys are just itching to get after with with Mississippi State. Why it goes back to the Civil War, when a regiment of Kentucky soldiers and a regiment of Mississipi soldiers fought over a shady camping spot at the Battle of Chattawhatsee Creek.

It's not difficult, just silly.

Scott D
11/9/2006, 07:50 PM
Good lord you hillbillies hold a grudge!;)

Honestly, what we need is a game between our teams when we are both highly ranked to get a little mutual respect back into the rivalry. I think the Big XII championship might take care of that next year. Gotta say, though, seems like there is more repsect between the horns and NU than NU and OU nowadays. Strange.

eh, my dislike for Callawimp goes waaaay back to his Wisconsin days.

Half a Hundred
11/9/2006, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I don't buy this whole "make our schedule as easy as possible" argument. Aren't we the ones who were proud of our hard, national OOC schedule while aggy and whorn are scheduling East Popcorn State and Sam Houston? If we play Nebraska yearly, and no one else in the conference does, then for chrissakes that's bragging rights, and I'll take those any day. Besides, if we can't get past Nebraska, we don't deserve to win the MNC, like back in the Big 8 days. Jeez, man up a little bit and have some pride and faith in your team!

Pepper
11/9/2006, 11:47 PM
K-State would probably consider OU their biggest South rival.

bixby28
11/10/2006, 01:39 AM
This rivalry is dead. Nebraska's program has grown soft since Osborne left.

Blitzkrieg
11/10/2006, 06:57 AM
Switzer owned Dr Tom, Dr Tom beat up on Blake.

There was really never that great of a rivalry. If we were both good, we pretty much owned them.

OUmillenium
11/10/2006, 10:33 AM
Sorry, I don't buy this whole "make our schedule as easy as possible" argument. Aren't we the ones who were proud of our hard, national OOC schedule while aggy and whorn are scheduling East Popcorn State and Sam Houston? If we play Nebraska yearly, and no one else in the conference does, then for chrissakes that's bragging rights, and I'll take those any day. Besides, if we can't get past Nebraska, we don't deserve to win the MNC, like back in the Big 8 days. Jeez, man up a little bit and have some pride and faith in your team!

Well said! Any chance to pound the :texan: psyche early can only help us in the RRS.

OklahomaRed
11/10/2006, 10:51 AM
If you are looking to pad your schedule, then I would say our north rival is Kansas ! :D

Rogue
11/10/2006, 10:58 AM
The SEC had two natural rivalries to protect (Tenn vs. 'Bama and Auburn vs. 'Bama) so it made sense. Wasn't it OU that declined the option to schedule the Bugeaters in the early days of the Big XII? I personally would like to see the rivalry return. Perhaps we could find a way to do this instead of a conference championship game that nobody wants.

Fraggle145
11/10/2006, 11:15 AM
The SEC had two natural rivalries to protect (Tenn vs. 'Bama and Auburn vs. UGA) so it made sense. Wasn't it OU that declined the option to schedule the Bugeaters in the early days of the Big XII? I personally would like to see the rivalry return. Perhaps we could find a way to do this instead of a conference championship game that nobody wants.

Fixed. Auburn and Bama will play every year due to them both being in the west. On a side note originally when it was set up the SEC teams played two rivalry games, but due to disparity in who was your rival (e.g., Auburn - UGA & UF, MSU - South Carolina, Kentucky) the two rivalry system was abandoned...

Look really all I care about is that we add nebraska every year. This would give us a an excuse to soften our nonconference schedule if we wanted, because we'd play the toughest team the North can provide every year. Hell we didnt seem to have a problem beating them under the King to win titles.

:pop:

OSUAggie
11/10/2006, 11:15 AM
The SEC had two natural rivalries to protect (Tenn vs. 'Bama and Auburn vs. 'Bama) so it made sense. Wasn't it OU that declined the option to schedule the Bugeaters in the early days of the Big XII? I personally would like to see the rivalry return. Perhaps we could find a way to do this instead of a conference championship game that nobody wants.

huh? Auburn v. Bama? They're in the same division... Auburn v. Georgia is the oldest rivalry in the South, and they're in opposite divisions. That's what had to be protected along with Alabama-Tennessee.

yermom
11/10/2006, 11:22 AM
Fixed. Auburn and Bama will play every year due to them both being in the west. On a side note originally when it was set up the SEC teams played two rivalry games, but due to disparity in who was your rival (e.g., Auburn - UGA & UF, MSU - South Carolina, Kentucky) the two rivalry system was abandoned...

Look really all I care about is that we add nebraska every year. This would give us a an excuse to soften our nonconference schedule if we wanted, because we'd play the toughest team the North can provide every year. Hell we didnt seem to have a problem beating them under the King to win titles.

:pop:

not in '71 and '78 ;)

yermom
11/10/2006, 11:23 AM
huh? Auburn v. Bama? They're in the same division... Auburn v. Georgia is the oldest rivalry in the South, and they're in opposite divisions. That's what had to be protected along with Alabama-Tennessee.

i'm sure some of that had to do with how they broke up the divisions too, not just how they played between them

Fraggle145
11/10/2006, 11:33 AM
not in '71 and '78 ;)

True enuff... But before 1991 the series wasnt even close.

http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/series/details.cfm?OppID=36

just sayin'

Rogue
11/10/2006, 11:52 AM
oSu and Fraggle: Thanks for correcting my Auburn rivalry mixup.

soonerboy_odanorth
11/10/2006, 02:41 PM
It's not difficult, just silly.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

But I think you are basing your argument on Colorado currently being in the toilet. They're not always going to be that way. Texas and CU have had some pretty decent square-offs in the past, even before the Big XII. If CU is at all resurgent under Hawkins, that could get nasty. And whether you know it or not, K-State and aTm like to get after each other a bit. And both are going to put together their shares of quality seasons.

Besides, if we are talking about Texas getting a pass, so what? They always had a pass back in the Big 8 days, because they never played a quality opponent outside of their contest with us. Didn't help 'em much, and it wouldn't now either. They still have to square off against us, and us against them. And please don't tell me you're skeered of Nebraska.

Besides, even though you would have the permanent opposite division foe, you would still rotate through the others. So Texas and NU would still get their fair shair of beatin' on each other.

So there are three potentially good to great rivalries right at the top. After that, I agree it gets a little less meaningful, but it could be made fun. Actually as I think about it Mizzou-TTech could be a barn-burner with Leach and Pinkel running their respective spreads. It was a fun game this year.

It is workable, and it would resurrect one of the all-time GREAT rivalries.

Does your turkey really taste as good now as it did back 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987.... ?

Didn't think so....