PDA

View Full Version : A scary combination

Big Red Ron
11/9/2006, 01:44 AM
What if Mike Leach went to a place like Miami or Florida State or UCLA or Alabama?

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:49 AM
I'd be more likely to watch their games...

Big Red Ron
11/9/2006, 01:56 AM
I mean if lester can get better at a school that can recruit the best athletes. I think Leach could dominate with that offense and some real stud athletes.

Doged
11/9/2006, 02:02 AM
An even scarier combination would be if Leach figures out that it would be fun to have a good defense, too.

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 02:18 AM
LMAO

SoonerTerry
11/9/2006, 02:22 AM
An even scarier combination would be if Leach figures out that it would be fun to have a good defense, too.

True

Big Red Ron
11/9/2006, 02:28 AM
I think their defesive problems are due to lacl of talent. He goes to one of those places and he can get a great d coorditayor and the athletes to go.

BIG_IKE
11/9/2006, 07:57 AM
Tech has had several standout defenders....Reagor, Slay etc.
But like Ron said, the lack of talent kills that. You can't "finesse" yourself a defense.
But to answer the question, what would happen if Leach went to a school like that?

See Oklahoma Sooners around 2000.

stonecoldsoonerfan
11/9/2006, 08:40 AM

very true. can't believe he hasn't figgered that out yet.

Scott D
11/9/2006, 09:22 AM
Tech has had several standout defenders....Reagor, Slay etc.
But like Ron said, the lack of talent kills that. You can't "finesse" yourself a defense.
But to answer the question, what would happen if Leach went to a school like that?

See Oklahoma Sooners around 2000.

yeah but Slay was a transfer in, and in the way Leach thinks, he'd have found a way to turn him into a slot receiver if he hadn't been so good at safety. A lot of teams these days go for putting the athletes on defense...but not ole Leach.

fadada1
11/9/2006, 09:42 AM
very true. can't believe he hasn't figgered that out yet.
i think he's sticking with the theory of "we'll just out-score them... even if they score 50."

CobraKai
11/9/2006, 10:30 AM
It would not be as scary as a Bob Stoops to Oklahoma arrangement. Defense wins championships. I would be much more frightened about a strong defensive genious going somewhere that can bring in talent.

David Earl
11/9/2006, 10:37 AM
Leach is already getting great skill players on offense. His problem is defense. Whether it's talent or coaching is a debate in Lubbock, but most agree defense is the problem.

Luthor
11/9/2006, 10:42 AM
Leach is an offensive wizzard for sure. I don't know though. He's an awful lot like John Mackovic. If he can sign 10 blue chip recruits he'll manage to put 8 of them on O. I think no matter how many quality players he can get they'll almost all end up running routes or blocking for somebody. It seems like he almost blind to anything that isn't O and the sole purpose of D is to give the O a chance to rest.

David Earl
11/9/2006, 10:46 AM
Luthor sorta nailed it, you people.

SoonerProphet
11/9/2006, 11:18 AM
I not convinced he is an offensive wizz till he can line up his team and convert a f*cking fourth and inches play. I don't care who he coaches for, that hasm and will continue, to cost his teams.

caphorns
11/9/2006, 11:30 AM
Prophet - I agree with you on this one. Leach cannot run out the clock with his offense, get a yard when he needs it or other stuff that helps you finish big wins. He's got one of the worst records in big games ever. So we'll continue to play the red and black pirates year in and year out. I really think he likes it there better anyway. Less pressure. Plus I fully expect him to be wearing full pirate regalia on the sideline in a couple of years.

CobraKai
11/9/2006, 11:34 AM
Personally I don't think OU wins it in 2000 if Leach stays. Leach certainly helped us along, but when he left the offense changed just enough to make it a viable championship offense (i.e with first down at your own 1 you don't throw 3 times like Leach did).

Crimson and Orange
11/9/2006, 12:04 PM
If Leach goes somewhere like that he'll be under a microscope he won't like. Anyone remember that dip**** Mike Price? Anything a 'Bama coach does would be fodder for the Tennessee and Auburn fans. Leach doesn't want that.

The guy can live in peace and quiet in Lubbock and nobody talks about his private life and adult beverage habits (cough, hack, spew). They'll never get tired of 8-3 or 9-3, and he'll never have to deal with the high pressure media meat grinder he'd get at Miami, FSU, UCLA, or 'Bama.

stoopified
11/9/2006, 12:25 PM
Forall his offensive credintials Bob and OUr Sooners have contained the O even in the stolen game.

landrun
11/9/2006, 12:27 PM
besides. I don't want him to leave Tech because I enjoy his annual aTm jokes.
He's a riot. :D

David Earl
11/9/2006, 12:32 PM
besides. I don't want him to leave Tech because I enjoy his annual aTm jokes.
He's a riot. :D

That's a big 10-4 good buddy.

MikeInNorman
11/9/2006, 01:33 PM
What if Mike Leach went to a place like Miami or Florida State or UCLA or Alabama?

Then Miami or Florida State or UCLA or Alabama would go 9-3 every year, just like the Red Raiders.

Talent-equalizing offenses like Leach's are great for the Kentuckys and the Techs of the world, because it gives those teams a better chance to compete. This is precicely why every small conference team in the country now runs this kind of offense, or the spread-option offense which is the running equivalent of Leach's. Heck, large conference wanna-bes like AggyLite also run this kind of stuff. It wins, but it can never win enough to compete with the big boys for the big prize.

Oklahoma was in the sh!thouse offensively when Bob Stoops asked Leach to come to OU, and I firmly believe that Stoops saw how Leach's offense made a bad program at Kentucky more competitive that their talent warranted, and he wanted to be able to move the ball despite unceratain offensive talent at OU.

The problem with Leach is that his offense is not a talent-maximizing offense. Decent, solid players are about the same level as stars in a Leach offense. Any team with an understanding of how to play an umbrella zone and the athletes to do it kicks Leach's a$$, because the his offense does not put playmakers in a position to make plays. There are only so many times a bubble screen or WR screen over the middle will work, especially if you are employing the "catch and release" program, instead of contesting every 5-yard pass.

Against a good D, both Reggie Bush and Anonymous Good-Hands-But-Slow Receiver will be equally tackled immediately upon catching that 4-yard hook. We do this to Tech every year. Heck, Bob Simmons and Les Miles did it to us in 2000 and 2001.

Ironically, Leach would probably be better on D that he is at Tech, simply because he would, by default, have better players on defense. Better players on offense would be wasted, though.