PDA

View Full Version : This announcement arrives with great pleasure

KaiserSooner
11/8/2006, 09:11 PM
Democrats take the Senate, which is the legislative house I wanted them to have in the first place...

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/11/08/D8L98GMG0.html

For the last two years of W's presidency there will be no more Sam Alitos.

BudSooner
11/8/2006, 09:15 PM

Jerk
11/8/2006, 09:15 PM
[Ted Kennedy]A toast to the Dems![/Ted Kennedy]

sanantoniosooner
11/8/2006, 09:17 PM
I beat the merge.

probably by days.

opksooner
11/8/2006, 09:59 PM
I, too, "arrive" with great pleasure.

KABOOKIE
11/8/2006, 10:11 PM
[Ted Kennedy]A toast to the Dems![/Ted Kennedy]

Pfft. A toast to Al Queda.

usmc-sooner
11/8/2006, 10:15 PM
Pfft. A toast to Al Queda.

we sure showed them

they played a big part in our elections which is sad

Blue
11/8/2006, 11:01 PM
I wish every incumbent would have lost. What Washington needs is a big, fat, enema from all the politicians who think it's their birthright to wine and dine in DC.

In the words of the late Bob Marley, "Stir it up."

OUinFLA
11/8/2006, 11:04 PM
here in Fla we have a "two term" limit.
in Washington, I often wish we had a "no term" limit.

KaiserSooner
11/8/2006, 11:37 PM
I wish every incumbent would have lost. What Washington needs is a big, fat, enema from all the politicians who think it's their birthright to wine and dine in DC.

In the words of the late Bob Marley, "Stir it up."

Change is always good for our particular brand of democracy, whether it's the Democrats taking control of Congress after 12 yrs of Republican control or the GOP taking control of Congress after 40 yrs of Democratic control, a la 1994.

SoonerTitan
11/8/2006, 11:41 PM
The page is turning my friends and it's about time.

BeetDigger
11/8/2006, 11:42 PM
Democrats take the Senate, which is the legislative house I wanted them to have in the first place...

For the last two years of W's presidency there will be no more tax breaks.

I think that this is what you meant.

colleyvillesooner
11/8/2006, 11:43 PM
Lot of people that think this is radically gonna change things, and a lot of people acting like somebody peed in their Cheerios.

TrophyCollector
11/9/2006, 12:05 AM

Alright! Now we can get some more of those judges that decide based on Euro laws rather than the Constitution of the United States. Rawk! :rolleyes:

Scott D
11/9/2006, 12:09 AM
Change is always good for our particular brand of democracy, whether it's the Democrats taking control of Congress after 12 yrs of Republican control or the GOP taking control of Congress after 40 yrs of Democratic control, a la 1994.

Yesterday I heard that on average, there is a turnover in control of congress roughly every 14 years. This fits in line with that particular line of thought.

BeetDigger
11/9/2006, 12:37 AM
Everybody cheering this should run out and join with Hugo Chavez:

In Venezuela, President Hugo Chavez said the Democrats won the election thanks to a "reprisal vote."

Okla-homey
11/9/2006, 12:49 AM
Three branches of gubmint. The good guys still control two. No biggee.:D

Hooray for checks and balances.

TrophyCollector
11/9/2006, 01:15 AM
Everybody cheering this should run out and join with Hugo Chavez:

Others cheering with you:

... the illegals
... the poor Mexicans who will soon become illegals
... the rich Mexicans who use corruption to make the poor Mexicans poor
... the terrorists
... Hammas, Syria and Iran
... lazy people who live off of welfare
... those who can't stand our military
... the U.N.
... criminals and terrorists that don't want the government listening to their phone calls or looking at their bank records
... people that want more money from people who have worked harder and made better decisions than they have
... the ACLU and their clients like NAMBLA
... France and Russia
... jackasses that spill a hot drink on themselves and want to sue the company who sold it to them for 1 billion dollars
... lawyers who help said jackasses for the small fee of 1/2
... convicted murderers on death row
... IRS agents
... Kim Dong Ill
... Rev. Al Sharpton
... NFL owners who want to bulldoze your house to build a new stadium
... worthless teachers and school administrators who have sucked off the government teet for billions and gotten no results (and yes, there are many great teachers and administrators - I'm only talking about the worthless ones)
... judges who think their opinion is above the law of elected officials and the Constitution

Sounds like a HELL of a party :rolleyes:

SoonerStormchaser
11/9/2006, 08:38 AM
Why do you all hate America?

SoonerJack
11/9/2006, 09:06 AM
TrophyCollector....wow.

That's a good list. I had forgotten several of them.

FaninAma
11/9/2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah! Because we all know that Ruth Bader-Ginsburg is heads and shoulder above the recent Bush appointees. :rolleyes:

The results of this election are actually terrific. The Dems will now have to grow up and act responsibly instead of acting like a bunch of petulant teenagers. I don't think they can do it. The GOP has held power long enough that the Dems are now controlled by the far left bomb throwers who appealed to their party's whining, hateful factions.

The sad fact is that when the electorate realizes wehat they've done it won't be the bomb throwers of the Democratic Party like Conyers and Shela Jackson thrown out it will be the newly elected moderates elected in the South and suburban districts that will get tossed.

I will be pleasantly suprised if Pelosi and her ilk can make these new moderates feel welcome n their party.

Xstnlsooner
11/9/2006, 10:11 AM
Whoever said "ignorance is bliss" certainly knew what they
were talking about...

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2006, 10:18 AM
Unfortunately for Kaiser, most of the new blood from the donks is pretty moderate and conservative. Not the nut-job left wingers he so admires.

The days of appointing liberal judges who think its ok to limit freedom of religion and speech in the name of "separation" and allowing the government to take away people's homes is long gone, unfortunately for Kaiser.

sanantoniosooner
11/9/2006, 10:19 AM
That is unfortunate for Kaiser.

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2006, 10:23 AM
Its good for the country. This should be called the great centering. The donks finally discovered that turning left doesn't win elections, and hopefully the GOP learns the same thing.

Okla-homey
11/9/2006, 10:26 AM
The best part about this is the donkeys don't have a veto-proof majority. That takes two-thirds of the Senate which they don't have. Thus, GWB can veto any silly bills that come his way and they will die. I hope he has a lot of ink.

Bottomline, Congress will be effectively snuffed as a lawmaking body over this. Unfortunately, the appropriations bills will still get passed because the there is no line item veto ( Supremes have ruled a presidential line-item veto is unconstitutional so no sense in ever taking up that cause again). Therefore, there'll be more of the same old silly pork-barrelling we've come expect from both parties.

TexasLidig8r
11/9/2006, 10:30 AM
Doesn't this actually simply mean that other special interest groups will now get greased and the special interest groups that were being greased by the Repubs will now have their funding dry up?

Politics has simply become a choice between, "Ok, you can have this disease infested AIDS ridden blonde ho over here... OR.. you can have this disease infested AIDS ridden brunette ho over there!"

The only real difference is going to be the parties are going to flip flop as to which one now gets to bitch, and whine and complain.

BeetDigger
11/9/2006, 10:30 AM
The best part about this is the donkeys don't have a veto-proof majority. That takes two-thirds of the Senate which they don't have. Thus, GWB can veto any silly bills that come his way and they will die. I hope he has a lot of ink.

Bottomline, Congress will be effectively snuffed as a lawmaking body over this. Unfortunately, the appropriations bills will still get passed because the there is no line item veto ( Supremes have ruled a presidential line-item veto is unconstitutional so no sense in ever taking up that cause again). Therefore, there'll be more of the same old silly pork-barrelling we've come expect from both parties.

Ted Baker and Robert Byrd are appalled that you would consider their pork to be silly.

OklahomaTuba
11/9/2006, 10:33 AM
I guess historically, this wasn't that bad of a "thumpin". And can really help Bush. Seems to already have by forcing him to sack Rummy and bringing in the king of aggieland.

I suspect the GOP rebounds nicely in 2008, as the extreme left wing starts becoming agitated that their donks have run on being so conservative.

MamaMia
11/9/2006, 10:42 AM

The democrats better make the best of it while it lasts.

picasso
11/9/2006, 11:20 AM
The page is turning my friends and it's about time.
what page? and where's it turning?

and did said page campaign as it shall truly govern?

belch.

SCOUT
11/9/2006, 11:28 AM
I would hate to start another election thread so I will post my question here. The Democrats had a very good election. Now that they have some of their power back what is it exactly they are going to do? The past 6 years or so have been a blur of 'you should do this, I can't believe he didn't do that etc.'

What is Nancy Pelosi's plan to secure our boarders? What about the plan to inspect every shipping container? She harped on that specific item for a couple of years. What are the Democrats going to do different to capture or kill Osama? And so on...

sooner n houston
11/9/2006, 12:06 PM
How long before the impeachment talks start?

KaiserSooner
11/9/2006, 02:07 PM
:pop:

Keep it up, I'm enjoying the hyperventilation going on here.

:D :D :D

SCOUT
11/9/2006, 02:10 PM

Keep it up, I'm enjoying the hyperventilation going on here.

:D :D :D
I am not hyperventilating or even really that upset. I am curious to hear the proposed solutions to the myriad of "problems" that have been brought up by those who now have control.

KaiserSooner
11/9/2006, 02:14 PM
Hyperventilation, hand-wringing...whatever. I'm enjoying it.

Fugue
11/9/2006, 02:17 PM
Hyperventilation, hand-wringing...whatever. I'm enjoying it.

In all honesty, it seems like it has gone over pretty well on the SO. I expected more rage. :hot:

FaninAma
11/9/2006, 03:14 PM
In all honesty, it seems like it has gone over pretty well on the SO. I expected more rage. :hot:

I agree. It would be interesting to compare the reaction on the board to after the 2004 elections.

BTW, I am still shocked that the Dems, after all the vitriol spewing from their radical wing, after all the Cindy Sheehans and outrage toward the war in Iraq and all the negativity toward the GOP, Bush and the recent HoR sex scandal that all they could do is tie the GOP in the Senate(49 to 49) and capture about 10% of the GOP seats with most of those being won by moderate to conservative Dems in the South and suburbs.

Hardly a mandate for change and hardly something to gloat over but I guess as bad as it's been for the Dems recently they've got to take their small victories when they come along.

TopDawg
11/9/2006, 05:00 PM

Really, you expected rage? I never did.

It has been fun to watch the South Oval though. Lots of aggieish behavior with the moral victories, the "it could be worse" talk, claiming that replacing conservative people with less conservative people is somehow a move toward conservativism, etc.

Fanin summed it up nicely when he said "Hardly a mandate for change and hardly something to gloat over but I guess as bad as it's been for the Dems recently they've got to take their small victories when they come along."

Yeah, I guess you can say the Democrats are gloating over a somewhat small victory. But the funny thing is that the South Oval Republicans are gloating over a loss. I guess that goes to show how bad it's been for the Cons recently.

KaiserSooner
11/9/2006, 05:01 PM
I agree, I think it would interesting to compare reactions with '04. Considering the vast chunk of SO people are lockstep Republicans or conservatives, I'd suspect the reaction this year is a bit off the chart with two years agol

As far as the numerical size of the Democrats' victory in the Senate, there are a number of things to consider. First, only a third of the Senate was up for reelection this year, and of those 33 seats, 15 were held by the GOP while the other 18 were Democrats. Considering the Democrats had more seats to defend, picking up 6 from the GOP, as the did, is something of an accomplishment.

KaiserSooner
11/9/2006, 05:03 PM
Really, you expected rage? I never did.

It has been fun to watch the South Oval though. Lots of aggieish behavior with the moral victories, the "it could be worse" talk, claiming that replacing conservative people with less conservative people is somehow a move toward conservativism, etc.

Fanin summed it up nicely when he said "Hardly a mandate for change and hardly something to gloat over but I guess as bad as it's been for the Dems recently they've got to take their small victories when they come along."

Yeah, I guess you can say the Democrats are gloating over a somewhat small victory. But the funny thing is that the South Oval Republicans are gloating over a loss. I guess that goes to show how bad it's been for the Cons recently.

Talk about small victories, don't forget how big the gloating was around here when Bush was reelected two years ago by a margin that was the smallest in history in a successfull reelection.

SoonerFrog
11/9/2006, 07:27 PM
Actually, according to Bush-logic, the Dems have a MANDATE. They should now look forward to doing anything they want.

And for your pleasure, a photo of Bush's new boss:

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123054/2133621/2141007/060508_Pol_PelosiTN.jpg

BeetDigger
11/9/2006, 08:56 PM
Talk about small victories, don't forget how big the gloating was around here when Bush was reelected two years ago by a margin that was the smallest in history in a successfull reelection.

The margin was immaterial, I think that the elation was due to the fact that a northeast liberal wasn't elected to the White House.