PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Paul Thompson

Oldnslo
11/8/2006, 08:34 PM
Paul,

I don't know if you have kids, but if you don't now, chances are you'll have them someday. Funny thing about kids: you never know when you'll have a chance to actually teach them something instead of just being there to pay for something of answer some question. Every so often *boom* you're in Quality Time, and you've got to be ready.

Just a minute ago, I got to teach my 8 year-old something. Something about character; about putting others and their needs and goals ahead of your own needs and goals, and how it can all work out.

Ben asked me to name my favorite player. Any team, any sport, pro or college.

I picked you.

And then I got to explain why. I explained to him how you had been faced with adversity, and how you reacted. And how some other people had broken rules when tempted to do so, or had bolted when faced with adversity.

You have handled yourself in an absolutely exemplary manner, and you have shown a depth of character which I would be proud to see in my own son. I am sure your trials over the past seasons have not been easy; such is simply more reason to hold you in esteem.

Thank you for giving me a chance to teach my boy something about life. Thank you for being a positive influence.

Thank you, Paul, for being a Sooner.

Adam

BASSooner
11/8/2006, 08:36 PM
i saw him yesterday, ill print this post out and give it to him

setem
11/8/2006, 08:37 PM
Very Cool!

I am sure your boy will be grow up be a good kid like ENA.

jk the sooner fan
11/8/2006, 08:41 PM
great post

but throw the damn ball more! ;)

he is a great example.....J.D. Runnels would be another imo

1991SOONER
11/8/2006, 08:43 PM
I really like Paul Thompson. He is one of my favorite Sooners of all time.

franklinjake
11/8/2006, 08:53 PM
I really like Paul Thompson. He is one of my favorite Sooners of all time.

I agree!!! Not the most talented QB to ever be a quarterback, but one of the biggest hearts of a player I have ever seen and would do absolutely anything he could possibly do for a win! What great character this young man has! Hopefully I will be able to shake his hand and thank him for the amazing attributes he has brought to the OU Program!

Big Red Ron
11/8/2006, 08:57 PM
I wish we never would have gotten that bomar guy and Paul would have been our starter last year.

franklinjake
11/8/2006, 09:03 PM
I wish we never would have gotten that bomar guy and Paul would have been our starter last year.

Yeah, could you imagine how good he would be this year if he would have started every game last year as QB ????

LoyalFan
11/8/2006, 09:25 PM
He'll never wear a MNC ring, nor will he bear the title of "Heisman Trophy Winner", but he will forever. so long as current Sooner fans and their immediate progeny draw breath, be remembered as, perhaps, The Noblest Sooner Of Them All.
God bless you, Paul, now and forever.

LF

goingoneight
11/8/2006, 09:43 PM
One more year, Paul... clap-clap, clap-clap-clap!

:D

Soonerus
11/8/2006, 09:49 PM
Great story...

sooner94
11/9/2006, 12:12 AM
Paul,

I don't know if you have kids, but if you don't now, chances are you'll have them someday. Funny thing about kids: you never know when you'll have a chance to actually teach them something instead of just being there to pay for something of answer some question. Every so often *boom* you're in Quality Time, and you've got to be ready.

Just a minute ago, I got to teach my 8 year-old something. Something about character; about putting others and their needs and goals ahead of your own needs and goals, and how it can all work out.

I picked you.

And then I got to explain why. I explained to him how you had been faced with adversity, and how you reacted. And how some other people had broken rules when tempted to do so, or had bolted when faced with adversity.

You have handled yourself in an absolutely exemplary manner, and you have shown a depth of character which I would be proud to see in my own son. I am sure your trials over the past seasons have not been easy; such is simply more reason to hold you in esteem.

Thank you for giving me a chance to teach my boy something about life. Thank you for being a positive influence.

Adam

dude, you left out the 60% completion rate and 8 yards per pass attempt he has had so far. ;)

Great post

SoonerTerry
11/9/2006, 12:16 AM
I also have told my 4 year old son about you Paul, about your dedication to the team and the character you have shown as a sooner. You will be remembered as a great sooner for at least my lifetime, and my sons as well.

Thanks
Terry

badger
11/9/2006, 12:18 AM
okay Sooners--- you BETTER give PT the EXTREME ovation he deserves this Saturday for senior day... and that doesn't mean pelt him with oranges (save that for Leach if you really need to throw fruit).

washington's fave
11/9/2006, 12:32 AM
Paul Thompson has proven he is a better quarterback than Rhett Bomar ever thought of being!!

westcoast_sooner
11/9/2006, 12:53 AM
Be sure to tell Paul that all Sooner fans everywhere are thankful for his dedication, and his "never give up" attitude. He has stayed true to the program, given unselfishly to do anything he could to help the program. He came in at a time of difficulty and performed more than admirably. Paul Thompson is one of the main reasons that this team is where it is.

Thanks Paul.

MissouriSooner
11/9/2006, 01:00 AM
PT's a stud in every way a guy can be one...

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 01:11 AM
I couldn't agree more with Paul being a class act. I had him in class with DJ Wolf as well. Paul never missed a class and always participated and turned in homework on time. Wolf was alway late or didn't come and ended up stop coming half way through. He talked to everyone as if he wasn't even a football player (a lot of them let it go to their head). He just had that look, the I'm a genuine good guy look. You could tell by looking at him he wasn't a trouble maker. I always thought we should have played him last year instead of Bummar. He was more of a team player and had his head on straight. Bummar was an arrogant ******* who just played for himself.

olevetonahill
11/9/2006, 01:16 AM
PT is the MAN :cool: :cool: :cool:
Oh and he WAS the starting QB last year . we just had an idiot OC that got confused
PT has more class in his little finger than most posters here :P

Crucifax Autumn
11/9/2006, 01:20 AM
He was more of a team player and had his head on straight. Bummar was an arrogant ******* who just played with himself.

That's better!

Fraggle145
11/9/2006, 01:58 AM
i saw him yesterday, ill print this post out and give it to him

Kinda weird posting notes to Paul on the message board, but if you can get them to him its cool, anyway...

Paul, you are a champion at the game that matters most, life. You set an example that others want to follow and tell their children about, which is worth more than any amount of money. You have my respect. You somehow found a way to make it happen not only for yourself, but for the team, and for all of us fans. Along the way you really did become my favorite Sooner. Thanks for being a teacher, a student, a class act, a Sooner, and thus a champion.

Rich

buffalobill989
11/9/2006, 12:08 PM
i will make this my first post since i just usually stay quiet & read. but pt ur truly a class act and will be missed we all love u for what u did for this team and school u will never be forgotten:D

GrapevineSooner
11/9/2006, 12:17 PM
Hear Hear.

Hard to believe the final home game of the year is nigh upon us. :mad:

yermom
11/9/2006, 12:18 PM
kinda reminds me of Hybl... stuck behind JW, came in and took care of business. when it was his turn even after getting benched by the competition, he was a man about it and came in when we needed him.

keep kicking *** Mr. Thompson

Flagstaffsooner
11/9/2006, 12:28 PM
PT, you have truely demonstrated "What it Means to be a SOONER". Bud smiles upon you from the Upper, Upper Deck.

jbstrick
11/9/2006, 12:59 PM
GO Paul GO!

'Nuff said.

stoopified
11/9/2006, 01:08 PM
Paul,

I picked you.

AdamDitto,truer words were never spoken.

TUSooner
11/9/2006, 01:44 PM
I sure hope Paul wins the Don Key award so you all folks who are lucky enough to be in the stadium can totally rock out while giving him the long-screaming-shouting-whooping-hollering-standing-and-stadium-stomping ovation he so richly deserves. And you better do it !!

The Maestro
11/9/2006, 01:51 PM
Paul,

I told my son about you and that it was time for football practice. He screamed and threw a fit like his mom and begged to quit so he could go to the Panic! at the Disco concert. I put him up for adoption last night.

Anyway...thanks for the memories, the class, the dignity and four more Sooner wins!

The Maestro

Mex
11/9/2006, 01:53 PM
Jerry Anderson is my all-time favorite Sooner.

Pricetag
11/9/2006, 02:12 PM
We'll never forget Bomar for how he went out.

Paul Thompson stepped up, and we'll never forget how he went out, for all the right reasons. We're very fortunate to have had him.

85Sooner
11/9/2006, 04:40 PM
Paul, we love ya down here in Leander. Proud to have met you and I agree. Your trials and tribulations will end with you as one of the most beloved Sooners of all time.

Have a great Senior Day. Jeesh I wish I could be there to see the ovation you are about to get. Very few have ever experienced the crowd in that way. ENJOY.

You folks going to the game give an extra waytogo from me please!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/9/2006, 04:52 PM
PT, you are an amazing person and someone everyone strives to be! Good luck in all your future endeavors! On a personal note, PT and Hybl are two of my favorite sooners of all time because of their character!

blackbeauty02
11/9/2006, 05:44 PM
That's better!

ha I like that Crucifax. that does look better

proudsoonergal
11/9/2006, 06:38 PM
This is one of the better threads on Soonerfans.

Paul, you have been a great ambassador for OU. When it would have been easy to get frustrated, leave the team, cause disruption, and/or generally act like many college football players when things don't go their way, you demonstrated the type of character and fortitude that every parent would hope or wish for their children, and, I'm VERY happy to say, you were rewarded for your perseverance.

In many ways, the type of character that you have shown to your football team & coaches, the OU fans & alumni, and the college football community has been more important than any football stat.

Thank you Paul. Good luck in your future, and please know that you will always be loved and appreciated by the OU faithful.

mightysooner
11/9/2006, 07:21 PM
Paul certainly has his place reserved among the halls of Sooner Valhalla.

Paul, you're a man and you have been since you stepped foot on campus. Wish we could've seen more of you but rest assured you're presence here will never be forgotten. Thank you for stepping up like a man, and for being the kind of man you are. You are a Sooner in the truest sense of the word and respect will be synonymous with your name always among the sooner nation. You will always have a welcome mat here among friends and admirers. Again, we thank you for being the leader you are, and we thank your parents for raising you to be that man you are.

TheGodfather889
11/9/2006, 08:18 PM
great post

but throw the damn ball more! ;)

he is a great example.....J.D. Runnels would be another imo
Jason White and Adrian Peterson would too.

Fraggle145
12/3/2006, 06:19 AM
Since everyone is draggin up the old negative shi+ to prove it was wrong here is some of the positive. Paul I still have a man crush on you, its sad but true. BOOMER MOTHER FUKIN SOONER!