PDA

View Full Version : Bell's Amusement Park Lease Expires

BudSooner
11/8/2006, 08:33 PM
KOTV - 11/8/2006 10:37 AM - Updated 11/8/2006 6:26 PM It could be the end of Bell's Amusement Park at the Tulsa County fairgrounds. The lease that keeps Bell's at the fairgrounds expired Wednesday. Without it, the future of the park is in jeopardy. News on 6 reporter Emory Bryan says the lease is up, but that doesn't mean Bell's is leaving. The park might not be offered a new lease and without it, Bell's would have to close and soon. Robbie Bell's family has run this park since 1951, but Bell's final season might already be behind it and it was a good one. "We had one of the best years we've ever had, despite a storm that had us closed down 20 days in June." Bell's future at the Tulsa County fairgrounds is in jeopardy because its lease is up. The decision on whether a new lease will be offered is largely up to the CEO of Expo Square. He's not ready to commit either way. Rick Bjorklund: "History and tradition is vitally important to a property like Expo Square, but the future is what we have to pay close attention to and the best interest of the county taxpayer." Bell says he wants to stay and is ready to add 2 new rides for the next season, if there is one. "We've shown our commitment to the park with the millions upon millions of dollars we continue to reinvest." Bell's leases 10 acres from Expo Square on the fairgrounds. Bell's pays rent based on how much money they make from admission and rides. For the last year, that was $135,000. Robbie Bell says since 1951, his family has paid $12.5-million in rent at the fairgrounds. Rick Bjorklund says what happens with Bell's will come down to how much money it can make for the county. "The public has put a great of money of time and effort into improving this fairgrounds. So as we take that game we are going to expect everyone here to take that game up also." The letter sent to Bell's Wednesday doesn't sound like there is a lease coming. The News on 6 talked to Robbie Bell late Wednesday afternoon and he had just received the letter, but declined comment. http://kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=113930 Looks like the writing is on the wall, looks like the ball is in the riverparks/Jenks court. But if you are the fairgrounds..who or what do you think will take the place of Bells if this does happen?

C&CDean
11/8/2006, 08:35 PM
You post this like you think anybody cares what happens in Tulsa.

OUAndy1807
11/8/2006, 08:53 PM
Tulsa sucks.

BudSooner
11/8/2006, 09:07 PM
:rolleyes:

Getem
11/8/2006, 10:53 PM
Sounds like they want Bell's to pay more, or move. I'm not sure what else could go there. Maybe a super Walmart. Or some islands. Maybe expand Big Splash? Football stadium? Would a golf course fit there?

Jimminy Crimson
11/9/2006, 12:18 AM
Maybe put a big hill in its place. I hear they're all over Tulsa! ;)

Okla-homey
11/9/2006, 12:47 AM
Tulsa sucks.

just keep tellin' yourself that. I understand it helps overcome Tulsa-envy by folks who live in lesser places.

yermom
11/9/2006, 03:12 AM
unless they replaced it with some kind of Six Flags park that would totally suck

how can you just get rid of Bell's? what's next Drillers Stadium?

Mixer!
11/9/2006, 03:22 AM
Haven't you heard? Drillers are moving downtown to a smaller stadium in a few years.

william_brasky
11/9/2006, 03:45 AM
Question:

who or what do you think will take the place of Bells if this does happen?

Answer:
http://www.bikerfox.com/foxphotos2/images/418.jpg

Getem
11/9/2006, 06:39 PM
I guess the Expo was serious. They've given Bells 120 days to vacate the premises. Rumors are that they may want to take Bells over and give it new management. Might be a good idea.

hurricane'bone
11/9/2006, 06:41 PM
So we're going to have 2 theme parks, because you know the Bell family will open one down in Jenks.

dolemitesooner
11/9/2006, 08:03 PM
just keep tellin' yourself that. I understand it helps overcome Tulsa-envy by folks who live in lesser places.
I was going to make a really funny daughter joke....but I think it really gets to you and I respect you, and your daughter, so no joke will be made good sir carry on

saucysoonergal
11/9/2006, 08:08 PM
Will you still be able to get a hickey on teh himalaya? Will Zingo be dismantled?

hurricane'bone
11/9/2006, 08:41 PM
yes, yes, and :les:DO YOU WANNA GO FASTER!!!!

PhxSooner
11/9/2006, 10:10 PM
My mom said that the Bell's attorneys are looking at this move. How can you dismantle Zingo, Phantasmagoria (sp?), and all that stuff in 120 days? And why the heck do you need another parking lot there?

It's the Himalaya...

saucysoonergal
11/9/2006, 10:18 PM
Man, I would love to have one of those bumper stickers about now.

StoopTroup
11/9/2006, 10:48 PM
My mom said that the Bell's attorneys are looking at this move. How can you dismantle Zingo, Phantasmagoria (sp?), and all that stuff in 120 days? And why the heck do you need another parking lot there?

It's the Himalaya...
They are PO'd at Robbie Bell for his "I'm moving to Jenks, OK!" stunt is my guess.

To get even they don't renew the lease and try to steal his Family's Business. All he wanted them to do in the first place is negotiate a new long term lease becaue they had increased it every time on him. At least that's what appeared to have happened.

Looks like a urination contest.

The the County is trying to do what's best for the taxpayer....

I wonder why they don't plow under that eyesore of a Waterpark...Big Splash?